SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - Rules Thread

Sep. 15, 2017 at 11:10 a.m.
Peterman, Max and Daryl liked this.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 8:44 p.m.
Banned
So there is nothing about being able to re-sign players in the final year of their contracts, unless I missed it.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:00 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
So there is nothing about being able to re-sign players in the final year of their contracts, unless I missed it.

Not at the moment. We were not able to conclusively determine a "guideline" in terms, pun intended, of terms, AAV, and age requirements.

The BOE should be able to draft something within the next week or two regarding some options for contract extensions and parameters on some requirements; we would then make our recommendation and then most likely have an public poll on which they like the best.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:14 p.m.
Banned
Well here is my proposal...

You can re-sign a maximum of 2 upcoming UFAs per team.

Players 24-27 must be signed to a minimum of 3 years, max of 8
Players 28-30 a minimum of 3 years, max of 6
Players 31-34 a minimum of 2 years, max of 4
Players 35-37 a max of 2 years
Players 37+ 1 year deal only

All contracts will be reviewed by BoE

Something along those lines I see working best. It's easy to control and easy to implement.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:17 p.m.
Yeah that was it; but we needed to hash out who was eligible to be resigned (how many times can he be traded --> I think the last we left it was a max of 2 times in order to be eligible for contract extension?

There was also talk of an AAV limit; example being you have 9M to resign up to 2 eligible UFAs
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Yeah that was it; but we needed to hash out who was eligible to be resigned (how many times can he be traded --> I think the last we left it was a max of 2 times in order to be eligible for contract extension?

There was also talk of an AAV limit; example being you have 9M to resign up to 2 eligible UFAs

An AAV limit doesn't really make sense to me. A GM should be able to spend whatever cap they want to resign their players. it's their prerogative how they want to use their cap space. as for the trading part, the only reason I see to limiting it is so that teams don't sign and trade their players if the other team has no more signing spots but imo that is also a GMs prerogative if they want to burn one of their signing spots. Or you can make it so that a sign and trade within a time frame of the signing costs you both signings instead of just the 1
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:38 p.m.
An AAV limit was only mentioned to slightly centrally control the amount allocated to contract extensions. While I think 9M is too low, I think that we should consider a 15-20% of the salary cap per year can be allocated to signing upcoming UFAs.

15-20% is 11,250,00 to 15,000,000 per year on contract extensions.

The idea for the trade limit is because the vast majority of teams re-sign players that they didn't trade for; unless it is distinctly a "sign and trade" for rights (i.e Bishop, Darling, etc.)

If we want to make the game more realistic to real life, such as implementing a contract extension period, we should limit the amount of times a player can be traded in order to retain eligibility to be resigned. It isn't designed so teams can't utilize signing spots; if they value that signing spot for that, so be it; that's their market.

My idea was that, in order to retain eligibility to be re-signed, you can be traded a maximum of (2) times during the regular season in your contract year.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:47 p.m.
NBABound
I believe this thread is getting deleted so i'll just comment on it.

I like the idea of having a limit on resigned players because it makes it more of a strategy game rather than a free for all v1 type.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap
I believe this thread is getting deleted so i'll just comment on it.

I like the idea of having a limit on resigned players because it makes it more of a strategy game rather than a free for all v1 type.

The limit idea was always in mind; we just need to come up with ideas as to regulating the AAV limit and the eligibility
Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:57 p.m.
Banned
For eligibility, maybe the player can only be traded twice AFTER he is re-signed? That seems more realistic to me. I know if there is a guy I like that hasn't been re-signed yet and I have spots left, I should be able to acquire him in order to sign him no matter how many times he has previously been moved. This puts the pressure on the acquiring team to manage their team properly and understand they may not be able to trade that player.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Is the trade limit gonna be bigger at the trade deadline?
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:10 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I just want to say that if I see a single player being traded more than 3 times, I think V2 has failed to meet my expectations.

Trade 1: Team adding a player they like
Trade 2: Team trading that player because he didn't work out or they fail to make the playoffs
Trade 3: Team trading that player/rights prior to free agency

I just know some people are going to go crazy flipping players though. Sticking Out Tongue

I'm not going to help with rules or procedures unless specifically asked. At least I'm going to try not to.
Someone slap me across the face with a fish if I do and remind me that I don't want to get involved like that.

I'll only be giving my opinion in what I would/would not like to see.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:13 p.m.
Can the boe take over teams while they're without a GM?
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ricochetii
I just want to say that if I see a single player being traded more than 3 times, I think V2 has failed to meet my expectations.

Trade 2: Team trading that player because he didn't work out or they fail to make the playoffs

I just know some people are going to go crazy flipping players though. Sticking Out Tongue

I'm not going to help with rules or procedures unless specifically asked. At least I'm going to try not to.
Someone slap me across the face with a fish if I do and remind me that I don't want to get involved like that.

yeah, i am really hoping v2 turns out more like real life ... hopefully things don't get too crazy ... i mean, teams are likely gonna be making deals just to make deals so i really hope that when we are allowed to trade that teams don't just start trading a whole bunch right away ... for me, chances are i'll maybe make 1 or 2 trades from now until the deadline. If the right deal comes, i'll consider it, but for me, i'm just gonna put a lot of thinking into the deals and i'm also not gonna make deals too quickly, i'm probably gonna want to talk for 2-4 weeks at least before making deals unless it's at the deadline or draft.
If a player gets traded two or 3 times in-season, it wouldn't be too crazy but i hope we don't see that in the offseason ... once again, hopefully this game is more like real life with the amount of trades and stuff.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:20 p.m.
Banned

Well, what I see is that there are some GMs that I find impossible to negotiate with so if another team acquires a player from a team I can't deal with then I am going to try and acquire that player from the new team. This is how I see players being moved a fair amount.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:26 p.m.
Dangles : I am not sure how eligibility can be decided after they are re-signed. Could you re-phrase it or something; I think you have a good idea, I just don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about eligibility to be re-signed

Rangers : again, yes. you asked this constantly in v1 and I said that it would be considered; why do you keep asking?

Rico : the BOE doesn't have regulation on how many times players can be traded; however, given the highly regulated trade limits, that should correlate with less players being traded sign teams have to make choices, much like an economist does; to quote New Ideas From Dead Economists : "you can have it all - you just can't have it all at the same time."

Turner : that hasn't been discussed, but wouldn't be out of the ordinary. if you think of the BOE as "the league" and the GMs as the "owners", teams that are going bankrupt can sell a portion of their team back to the league, much like the New Orleans Hornets did back around 2012 in the NBA

Rangers : 1 or 2 trades by the deadline? The deadline is around the middle of May (the lottery); not sure if that changes your plans
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:42 p.m.
Banned
Any player on the final year of their contract can be traded unlimited times until they are re-signed. Then they can only be traded twice after the re-signing. It kind of goes to the whole some GMs are impossible to work with thing. If I can et a guy I want after he has been moved to a team I can work with, then I should have that opportunity. But if you limit these players to 2 trades then you can't resign them a lot of players could be off the table for a lot of GMs.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:45 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: DirtyDangles

Well, what I see is that there are some GMs that I find impossible to negotiate with so if another team acquires a player from a team I can't deal with then I am going to try and acquire that player from the new team. This is how I see players being moved a fair amount.

To a point that could happen. I'd like to see teams acquire players that they don't intend to trade and work on a 3-way or have another deal in place for players they don't intend to keep. Rather than just continuously trading until they finally get someone they are happy with. Some don't even stop there. In the end they've given up 3 or 4 times as much as it would have taken to get the same player they ended up with. I'm just hoping for something more realistic, but we'll have to see how it plays out. smile
Mr_cap liked this.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:48 p.m.
Banned
Those GMs should get canned. When you see a guy overpay to et players to trade to get their guy and then overpay for their guy it's pretty easy for the rest of us to see how bad they are. That would have to go to the BOE I think.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Dangles : I am not sure how eligibility can be decided after they are re-signed. Could you re-phrase it or something; I think you have a good idea, I just don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about eligibility to be re-signed

Rangers : again, yes. you asked this constantly in v1 and I said that it would be considered; why do you keep asking?

Rico : the BOE doesn't have regulation on how many times players can be traded; however, given the highly regulated trade limits, that should correlate with less players being traded sign teams have to make choices, much like an economist does; to quote New Ideas From Dead Economists : "you can have it all - you just can't have it all at the same time."

Turner : that hasn't been discussed, but wouldn't be out of the ordinary. if you think of the BOE as "the league" and the GMs as the "owners", teams that are going bankrupt can sell a portion of their team back to the league, much like the New Orleans Hornets did back around 2012 in the NBA

Rangers : 1 or 2 trades by the deadline? The deadline is around the middle of May (the lottery); not sure if that changes your plans

oh, i thought the deadline was the same as the real deadline.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:52 p.m.
Dangles ; alright I understand your part. I am contending that we should consider a limit of times a player can be moved in order to retain re-signing eligibility.

If we turn to real life, one of the models to the game, teams often time sign their players to contract extensions (Brian Little). However, they often times do not re-sign a player that they traded for, excluding those trades that involve rights to players (Bishop, Darling, etc.)

My proposal is that players in the final year of the contract are eligible to be re-signed if they are only involved in no more than 2 transactions throughout the entirety of their final year on the deal. This still allows teams to re-sign players before they hit the open market, while reflecting a model from real life.

Rico : I agree. However, if GMs do that, their job security will fall and will be subject to being fired from their position.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:00 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

yeah, i am really hoping v2 turns out more like real life ... hopefully things don't get too crazy ... i mean, teams are likely gonna be making deals just to make deals so i really hope that when we are allowed to trade that teams don't just start trading a whole bunch right away ... for me, chances are i'll maybe make 1 or 2 trades from now until the deadline. If the right deal comes, i'll consider it, but for me, i'm just gonna put a lot of thinking into the deals and i'm also not gonna make deals too quickly, i'm probably gonna want to talk for 2-4 weeks at least before making deals unless it's at the deadline or draft.
If a player gets traded two or 3 times in-season, it wouldn't be too crazy but i hope we don't see that in the offseason ... once again, hopefully this game is more like real life with the amount of trades and stuff.

Im crying at the club right now
Sep. 17, 2017 at 12:24 a.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

Im crying at the club right now

RAIF, just remember, it's simple math, not rocket science...
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:09 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I'll just leave this for you guys to ponder over.

NMC (in game version): Can be traded only at the deadline by a non-playoff team to a playoff team (based on current standings). This is something a real player might waive their NMC for. Would give teams an option with a brief window of opportunity, in which to move these "unmovable" players.

NTC: I feel like every current NTC should be an NTC - 1 and work as follows:
NTC - 1: May be traded once per season during the course of the current contract.
NTC - X: May not be traded until the trade deadline of the final year of the contract.

Just a rough example, with the point being this:
Offering a clause in free agency gives a salary reduction.
NTC - 1: 10% salary reduction until they are traded
NTC - X: 12.5% salary reduction for the length of the contract (including after they are traded, which can only occur at the deadline of the final contract year)
NMC: 5% salary reduction

I didn't put much thought into it, just a brief example of an idea I had. Feel free to play with it or dismiss it, I won't be checking back on it. Sticking Out Tongue
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:14 p.m.
We already have NMC and NTC clauses that GMs have previously agreed too.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll