SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - Rules Thread

Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:18 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: ricochetii
I'll just leave this for you guys to ponder over.

NMC (in game version): Can be traded only at the deadline by a non-playoff team to a playoff team (based on current standings). This is something a real player might waive their NMC for. Would give teams an option with a brief window of opportunity, in which to move these "unmovable" players.

NTC: I feel like every current NTC should be an NTC - 1 and work as follows:
NTC - 1: May be traded once per season during the course of the current contract.
NTC - X: May not be traded until the trade deadline of the final year of the contract.

Just a rough example, with the point being this:
Offering a clause in free agency gives a salary reduction.
NTC - 1: 10% salary reduction until they are traded
NTC - X: 12.5% salary reduction for the length of the contract (including after they are traded, which can only occur at the deadline of the final contract year)
NMC: 5% salary reduction

I didn't put much thought into it, just a brief example of an idea I had. Feel free to play with it or dismiss it, I won't be checking back on it. Sticking Out Tongue

For the NMC part, players that are on non-playoff teams in irl, would still make it clear or not whether they want to be moved by the deadline. So the idea seems like it's redundant at that point.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
We already have NMC and NTC clauses that GMs have previously agreed too.

No-Movement Clauses and No-Trade Clauses
All teams must honor the NMC that any of their players has at the start of the GM Game. However, if a GM can provide evidence that a player with a NMC would waive the clause, the BOE will rule on whether the clause is to be upheld or waived.

No-Trade Clauses are allowed to be traded, but may only be traded once throughout the span of the no-trade clause. This also includes partial no trade clauses.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:30 p.m.
We already have NMC and NTC clauses that GMs have previously agreed too.

No-Movement Clauses and No-Trade Clauses
All teams must honor the NMC that any of their players has at the start of the GM Game. However, if a GM can provide evidence that a player with a NMC would waive the clause, the BOE will rule on whether the clause is to be upheld or waived.

No-Trade Clauses are allowed to be traded, but may only be traded once throughout the span of the no-trade clause. This also includes partial no trade clauses.

*Bobby Ryan has a NMC contract that CAN be moved since it only applies to not being moved to the minors.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:36 p.m.
Should a list be made of all NMC/NTC players? I could potentially research that through CF if necessary. I believe there's a list on CF is there not?
Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:45 p.m.
Bobby Ryan is the only exception; was also the only exception in v1.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 10:48 p.m.
May contain nuts
So there's a trade that I and another GM agreed to; can it be posted yet?
Sep. 17, 2017 at 10:58 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Mr_cap
I'll just leave this for you guys to ponder over.

NMC (in game version): Can be traded only at the deadline by a non-playoff team to a playoff team (based on current standings). This is something a real player might waive their NMC for. Would give teams an option with a brief window of opportunity, in which to move these "unmovable" players.

NTC: I feel like every current NTC should be an NTC - 1 and work as follows:
NTC - 1: May be traded once per season during the course of the current contract.
NTC - X: May not be traded until the trade deadline of the final year of the contract.

Just a rough example, with the point being this:
Offering a clause in free agency gives a salary reduction.
NTC - 1: 10% salary reduction until they are traded
NTC - X: 12.5% salary reduction for the length of the contract (including after they are traded, which can only occur at the deadline of the final contract year)
NMC: 5% salary reduction

I didn't put much thought into it, just a brief example of an idea I had. Feel free to play with it or dismiss it, I won't be checking back on it. Sticking Out Tongue

For the NMC part, players that are on non-playoff teams in irl, would still make it clear or not whether they want to be moved by the deadline. So the idea seems like it's redundant at that point.

More an idea for implementing NTC and NMC for our UFA's. Current stuff would only be for consistency. Like I said, play with it or dismiss it.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:05 p.m.
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
Should a list be made of all NMC/NTC players? I could potentially research that through CF if necessary. I believe there's a list on CF is there not?

Bump
Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:39 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Bump

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/ntc-nmc
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:33 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quote:
Trade Etiquette
Negotiation
Final Proposal* -> Acceptance -> Acceptance by the Proposer
A change in the proposal is a new "final" proposal, return to 2. Otherwise proceed to 4.
Post the trade (Either party)
Both parties review the official post for discrepancies
Correct between the involved parties if necessary/possible
If it can't be resolved report to the BOE

Just pointing out that the step numbers are missing from this section, so the bolded part doesn't help.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:39 a.m.
Quote:
Trade Etiquette
Negotiation
Final Proposal* -> Acceptance -> Acceptance by the Proposer
A change in the proposal is a new "final" proposal, return to 2. Otherwise proceed to 4.
Post the trade (Either party)
Both parties review the official post for discrepancies
Correct between the involved parties if necessary/possible
If it can't be resolved report to the BOE

Just pointing out that the step numbers are missing from this section, so the bolded part doesn't help.

Eh, I can add them in then. I am in class rn
Sep. 18, 2017 at 1:55 p.m.
Banned
So about that offer sheet thread...
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl

Just make it official when we're allowed to make trades. Can't circumvent the rules just because you have an agreement. If you both are happy with your deals, than there shouldn't be a problem posting it when the time comes.

Quoting: DirtyDangles

Maybe you know, I read somewhere that offer sheeting was only possible up until when training camp starts? Is this true? If so, then there is no rush to get the offer sheet thread ready. I'd say lets confirm with a official source if offer sheets are even allowed now anyway. IMO. Plus until we don't have all teams accounted for, its an unfair advantage to have some teams offer sheet players before others can.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

Wrong thread I think for it; but GMs should be allowed an allocated time to present their offer before the BOE and get a ruling before it goes among the GMs. This is how it functions IRL; hence, the correlation.

There will be more official details coming on logistics; plan on having a 72-96 hour period for "home teams" to get a chance to present a case to the BOE and then a ruling. Then, Offer Sheets are available to be placed.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.
Banned

Wrong thread I think for it; but GMs should be allowed an allocated time to present their offer before the BOE and get a ruling before it goes among the GMs. This is how it functions IRL; hence, the correlation.

There will be more official details coming on logistics; plan on having a 72-96 hour period for "home teams" to get a chance to present a case to the BOE and then a ruling. Then, Offer Sheets are available to be placed.

How is that how it works irl? Any team can offer sheet an rfa if they haven't been signed by now. Feels like a lot of picking and choosing what we think is "fair" going on here when it comes to irl situations.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: F50marco
Quoting: Icegirl

Just make it official when we're allowed to make trades. Can't circumvent the rules just because you have an agreement. If you both are happy with your deals, than there shouldn't be a problem posting it when the time comes.

Maybe you know, I read somewhere that offer sheeting was only possible up until when training camp starts? Is this true? If so, then there is no rush to get the offer sheet thread ready. I'd say lets confirm with a official source if offer sheets are even allowed now anyway. IMO. Plus until we don't have all teams accounted for, its an unfair advantage to have some teams offer sheet players before others can.

offer sheets don't happen anyway.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Quoting: F50marco

offer sheets don't happen anyway.

Rangers, they do if a GM wants to! Just because GMs don't use it often does that mean we should just remove it from the game? Please stop commenting on my posts. I'm sorry but I don't really want to hear your opinion on these matters.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:46 p.m.
Go Habs Go
NHL Rules (Correct me if I make a mistake)

1. Offer Sheets can be made 1 day after qualifying offers are due.
2. If the player accepts the offer sheet, the team has 7 days to match.
3a. Match and can't move the player for 1 year.
3b. Don't match and accept compensation.
4. Players electing for arbitration cannot sign an offer sheet once they file.
5. Players being taken to team elected arbitration cannot sign an offer sheet after July 5th.

There are other rules, these are just the ones limited to the process/timeline.
Interestingly, both remaining players are represented by Darren Ferris.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.
Banned
So basically the window has passed to offer sheet someone? If so then I guess we figure it out for next year but can we please get moving on this game. What was the point of starting it if it wasn't ready to go?
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

5. Players being taken to team elected arbitration cannot sign an offer sheet after July 5th.

the one thing i'm curious about is: does the player need to agree to the offer sheet and/or contract?
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.
Go Habs Go
So basically the window has passed to offer sheet someone? If so then I guess we figure it out for next year but can we please get moving on this game. What was the point of starting it if it wasn't ready to go?

No. The "window" is still open until they sign. Arbitration or a signing is the only thing that prevents an offer sheet. They weren't eligible/submitted for arbitration, so only a signing will prevent an offer sheet at this point. (As long as I haven't misinterpreted anything Sticking Out Tongue)

Quoting: rangersandislesfan

the one thing i'm curious about is: does the player need to agree to the offer sheet and/or contract?

Player has to agree to the offer sheet. If he agrees to the offer sheet, he is automatically agreeing to the contract if his team chooses to match.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:59 p.m.
Banned
thanks Rico, we can always count on you for the factual information.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:06 p.m.
If we really wanted to, the team can just go to arbitration right away and eliminate RFA Offer Sheets, since they are not allowed at that time.

Basically, we can say that since GMs have not had the time to even make a qualifying offer on RFAs and/or go to arbitration, I don't think we can just simulate ahead of the time period to even extend a qualifying offer.

I would rather we didn't just "skip" that period.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:09 p.m.
Banned
If we really wanted to, the team can just go to arbitration right away and eliminate RFA Offer Sheets, since they are not allowed at that time.

Basically, we can say that since GMs have not had the time to even make a qualifying offer on RFAs and/or go to arbitration, I don't think we can just simulate ahead of the time period to even extend a qualifying offer.

Either we are starting the game as of the 15th or we aren't. That would mean that any outstanding RFAs that didn't go to arbitration should be eligible for offer sheeting. This is heading the way of V1 again where we arbitrarily make up rules as we go.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.

Either we are starting the game as of the 15th or we aren't. That would mean that any outstanding RFAs that didn't go to arbitration should be eligible for offer sheeting. This is heading the way of V1 again where we arbitrarily make up rules as we go.

I get what you are saying; but I am not just magically making up rules. What I say isn't law. I am stating my thoughts and opinions. It seemed fair that GMs get an allotted period of time; however, GMs received the rosters as of September 15th - which includes extended RFAs (all 3 are). We then have to come up with whether or not there is an allotted time for the GMs or there isn't.

If all the GMs want one thing, then yeah, we'll go by that. We can't make policy based on a conversation of a slim majority of the game; that being said, the BOE should start setting up logistical times for this stuff.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll