SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - Rules Thread

Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:19 p.m.
NateElder12
RFA offer sheets are allowed until that player signs a contract. There is no "window". However, after Dec 1st (believe it's the same each year), if RFAs are not signed they cannot play in that season. The same goes for players being offersheeted. So technically Dangles you have as long as you want to offer sheet them. I agree that it should be allowed and I don't like the contant narrative that "offer hssets don't happen" that RAIf always uses. They don't happen for one reason and one reason only - GM collusion.
DirtyDangles liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:22 p.m.
Banned
Edited Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni

I get what you are saying; but I am not just magically making up rules. What I say isn't law. I am stating my thoughts and opinions. It seemed fair that GMs get an allotted period of time; however, GMs received the rosters as of September 15th - which includes extended RFAs (all 3 are). We then have to come up with whether or not there is an allotted time for the GMs or there isn't.

If all the GMs want one thing, then yeah, we'll go by that. We can't make policy based on a conversation of a slim majority of the game; that being said, the BOE should start setting up logistical times for this stuff.

GMs knew that rosters as of the 15th were what they get and imo that means unsigned RFAs that could at any time,irl, be offer sheeted.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:25 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: NateElder12
RFA offer sheets are allowed until that player signs a contract. There is no "window". However, after Dec 1st (believe it's the same each year), if RFAs are not signed they cannot play in that season. The same goes for players being offersheeted. So technically Dangles you have as long as you want to offer sheet them. I agree that it should be allowed and I don't like the contant narrative that "offer hssets don't happen" that RAIf always uses. They don't happen for one reason and one reason only - GM collusion.

Missed that, but yes. If they don't sign by that date, they cannot participate in the current season. Good catch.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:47 p.m.
It's irrelevant if GMs don't do it in real life; they deal with the face-to-face or over-the-phone contact all the time, we don't.

It would be one thing if you really knew the other side of the table, but its all just the logo for us.

Citing "nobody does it so therefore it must be outlawed" doesn't make sense. While I agree that we should make our policies based on the majority and not the outlier, the majority of GMs have interest in RFAs.

Now it comes to the part of whether or not GMs get an allocated time for negotiations with their respective and outstanding RFAs. While I think that they should, I am not hell bent on that; after all I am not a GM and don't have to deal with another GM poaching from their counterparts.

That being said, I think it should be up to the GMs to decide on whether they want to have an allotted time or not. Unless there is extreme expressed interest from one side, there *should* be a poll after we have some preliminary discourse.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:07 p.m.
More importantly does both Det and CLB (GM game GM's) not want to sign these players? Both teams are waiting for this game to get started for them to make decisions as well. Honestly I don't think there is even a need for an offer sheet. Both teams will sign both players in the GM game even though they aren't yet IRL. Need the game to be official first before they can though right? Or can they sign them right now? If so lets just get them to sign both players to contracts.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:16 p.m.
Banned
I'll offer sheet them right now! Why shouldn't I get the chance? That's how it works irl.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
I'll offer sheet them right now! Why shouldn't I get the chance? That's how it works irl.

You don't get to because there's a specific timeframe to be able to do this. I'm sure when asked, CBJ and DET will both sign them.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bo53Horvat

You don't get to because there's a specific timeframe to be able to do this. I'm sure when asked, CBJ and DET will both sign them.

Rico already stated that the timeframe is anytime as long as they didn't go to arbitration.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:56 p.m.
Quoting: Bo53Horvat

Rico already stated that the timeframe is anytime as long as they didn't go to arbitration.

Can we make trades yet? Can we make offer sheets yet? Can we make signing yet? NO. Thats the point. How can they action on it if they can't even do anything yet. Your using both teams lack of coming to terms to a contract IRL with 2 GM's in the GM game that more then likely sign these guys the first second the are allowed to.

Frankly both teams should have "first dibs" before any offer sheets can be made. Why should IRL events benefit other teams more then the actual teams within the GM game?
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:09 p.m.
Banned
Why? They knew when picking the teams that these players were not signed. Either we do it like irl or we don't but that sets precident for the rest of the game.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:12 p.m.
Why? They knew when picking the teams that these players were not signed.

and that really shouldn't be a factor in them losing to an offer sheet... If they don't want to resign the players then, thats fair... then we should open up an auction for those players
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jmac490
Why? They knew when picking the teams that these players were not signed.

and that really shouldn't be a factor in them losing to an offer sheet... If they don't want to resign the players then, thats fair... then we should open up an auction for those players

They can still sign their players if they get offer sheeted so I don't understand why this is such a big deal? Let's get this **** figured out so we can actually do something in this game.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:20 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Team: Montreal Canadiens || GM: Ricochetii

I have read, understood, and agree to comply with the rules.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:46 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Team: Montreal Canadiens || GM: Ricochetii

I have read, understood, and agree to comply with the rules.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/92224
Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:16 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Clarification?

Quote:
However, if a GM can provide evidence that a player with a NMC would waive the clause, the BOE will rule on whether the clause is to be upheld or waived.

Does "evidence" in this context mean providing something from real life, or can you simply "present a case" as to why a clause should be waived?
Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:23 p.m.
Clarification?

Quote:
However, if a GM can provide evidence that a player with a NMC would waive the clause, the BOE will rule on whether the clause is to be upheld or waived.

Does "evidence" in this context mean providing something from real life, or can you simply "present a case" as to why a clause should be waived?

I consider that real life evidence. Subjective claims aren't going to "wow" me over, as it correlates with my ruling in the BOE thread.

GMs may provide a case as to why they can be waived, sure.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:52 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Clarification?

I consider that real life evidence. Subjective claims aren't going to "wow" me over, as it correlates with my ruling in the BOE thread.

So real life is a better chance of success, but the BOE can be convinced even without it. Correct?
Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.

So real life is a better chance of success, but the BOE can be convinced even without it. Correct?

Correct
ricochetii liked this.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:14 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Correct

Thankee Sai
Sep. 20, 2017 at 11:20 a.m.
LTIR update?
Sep. 20, 2017 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: jmac490
LTIR update?

I will be creating a thread momentarily.

It is very important that GMs review LTIR rules prior to posting.
Nov. 2, 2017 at 11:48 a.m.
WentWughes
Whats the rule on resigning Pending UFAs?
Nov. 9, 2017 at 5:34 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Taking the twitter discussion here: should we slightly revise the way that the draft order / lottery should be determined? This has nothing to do with power rankings or determining manager of the year, or whatever.

I don't think the changes below would change the strategy that any player has been using thus far.

UFA Signings - they don't matter this year since there was no offseason. And since the waiver priority rules over signing any FA that were still around after 9/15, it shouldn't affect draft position.

Trade Ratings - I think the main object of the game is to make good trades. If you improve your team, whether it is short-term or long, you should be rewarded. The team with the best trade ratings should get a score of 1 and the score should be multiplied by 60%

Win-Now Roster - the BOE should rank teams in order of best 23-man roster to worst. The best team should get a score of 31 and the score should be multiplied by 40%.

The team with the lowest score would draft 1st (or have the best lottery odds, if we are doing a lottery)

With this approach, the teams that put together great teams will have exactly that, great teams. And the teams that make the right moves, but didn't have a good situation to begin with are rewarded with a better draft position.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. If people are onboard we can bring it to the BOE's attention. Full disclosure, I'm not sure how different this is from the current draft formula.
Nov. 10, 2017 at 12:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: AK_tune
Taking the twitter discussion here: should we slightly revise the way that the draft order / lottery should be determined? This has nothing to do with power rankings or determining manager of the year, or whatever.

I don't think the changes below would change the strategy that any player has been using thus far.

UFA Signings - they don't matter this year since there was no offseason. And since the waiver priority rules over signing any FA that were still around after 9/15, it shouldn't affect draft position.

Trade Ratings - I think the main object of the game is to make good trades. If you improve your team, whether it is short-term or long, you should be rewarded. The team with the best trade ratings should get a score of 1 and the score should be multiplied by 60%

Win-Now Roster - the BOE should rank teams in order of best 23-man roster to worst. The best team should get a score of 31 and the score should be multiplied by 40%.

The team with the lowest score would draft 1st (or have the best lottery odds, if we are doing a lottery)

With this approach, the teams that put together great teams will have exactly that, great teams. And the teams that make the right moves, but didn't have a good situation to begin with are rewarded with a better draft position.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. If people are onboard we can bring it to the BOE's attention. Full disclosure, I'm not sure how different this is from the current draft formula.

I think it's a good idea to just go with the real life draft lottery. Just because there's no way to really tell how our GM Game teams would play. It's not just about the roster, it has to do with how the players all play together, so IMO the best idea would just be to go with the real life draft lottery.
Nov. 10, 2017 at 12:13 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Quoting: AK_tune

I think it's a good idea to just go with the real life draft lottery. Just because there's no way to really tell how our GM Game teams would play. It's not just about the roster, it has to do with how the players all play together, so IMO the best idea would just be to go with the real life draft lottery.

Id say do the draft rankings off of the "Win-Now" part of winning the game. The best rosters pick 31st overall and the worst rosters pick 1st overall.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll