SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Tavares and Doughty

Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:51 p.m.
Slight problem as your already 760k over the cap and you have no extra's
Sep. 15, 2017 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N

2019-2020. It allows Tavares to be UFA (next summer), and Doughty (the summer after) while allowing the cherry on top to be drafting Rasmus Dahlin.

Technically possible, but we never see one team sign the biggest UFA 2 years in a row.

Minor suggestions: Granlund will get a bigger payday. Canucks will want to lock up Virtanen for some UFA years. Dahlen plays RW with Pettersson, Goldobin back to LW. Don't know where Gaunce ends up, but somebody good is going to win some bottom 6 spots in the next couple years with all the people we're trying. You could have added trade returns for Gudbranson and Edler, or Vanek/Burmistrov/etc. If everything is looking as smooth as this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sedins sign another contract with the Canucks but the team is better with Tavares+Doughty who ought to provide similar leadership/mentoring.

Realistically there will be more guys in the system winning jobs, we just don't know who yet and it's even harder to guess what would be coming back for any bodies shipped out. I don't know what they'll do with Subban and Pedan, but Brisebois and Chatfield will definitely play in the NHL.

The team you posted is a great cup contender on paper, and the real thing won't be too far from it. But I know the Canucks aren't 2 years away from the finals because there's so much trial and error getting the chemistry right. In light of that, I'm happy taking sure steps of letting guys internally win their spots and knowing we have the right chemistry and balance as a whole team. An idiot making direct comparisons of results is smarter than a genius trying to guess them.

I think if you're signing Tavares and Doughty, you should have a complete team first. It's like how Ryan Miller was too good of a goaltender for the Canucks and got them wins they didn't deserve, stopped them learning from the pain.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

Nah he's paying Gaunce 9M by accident.
CD282 liked this.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:07 p.m.
Banned
Try more like 7 years $70 million for Drew Doughty and 7 years $77 million for John Tavares.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.
Quoting: Larkinisking
Try more like 7 years $70 million for Drew Doughty and 7 years $77 million for John Tavares.

1 star is a bit harsh. Those 2 changes add $3 million in salary cap, for a total of $78 in 2019/2020 when the cap may be $80 (if that cap doesn't rise to there, adjustment downward in salaries will happen)

The least probable bit of the roster is that Tavares and Doughty choose to sign in Vancouver.
Who knows what happens, come 2020 Seattle may have a team and there's no income tax in Washington state as a lure.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:33 p.m.
Edited Sep. 15, 2017 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: goldie078

1 star is a bit harsh. Those 2 changes add $3 million in salary cap, for a total of $78 in 2019/2020 when the cap may be $80 (if that cap doesn't rise to there, adjustment downward in salaries will happen)

The least probable bit of the roster is that Tavares and Doughty choose to sign in Vancouver.
Who knows what happens, come 2020 Seattle may have a team and there's no income tax in Washington state as a lure.

He made a mistake on Gaunce's pay - he's nowhere near the cap.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: Larkinisking

$11M for Tavares? Why is he worth that much? He isn't the second best player in the league IMO - or even in the top 10. Please explain...
Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:45 p.m.
UFA years cost substantially more than RFA years where the salary is capped by arbitration.

I'm not saying Tavares is better than Stamkos, but I wouldn't flinch at picking Tavares to build a team around. Him and Toews do a lot to get their teammates the puck that doesn't show up in traditional stats.

I hope you're right and Tavares does take a discount to be reunited with his minor hockey buddies Sam Gagner and Chris Tanev. That'd be sweet. They'd just be missing PK Subban (who no longer has a NTC because he was traded for Weber before it went into effect), but the Canucks would suddenly have some spare players if they first got Tavares.

As a Vancouver fan, I fall for reuniting brothers on a NHL team every time even if it only sticks 1 in 10 times. I think PK + Jordan Subban just might be fun to watch though.

Can you imagine the GTHA parades they would have in Toronto during the summer with the Stanley Cup?
Sep. 15, 2017 at 6:09 p.m.
David Nunn Jnr
Quoting: goldie078

2019-2020. It allows Tavares to be UFA (next summer), and Doughty (the summer after) while allowing the cherry on top to be drafting Rasmus Dahlin.

Technically possible, but we never see one team sign the biggest UFA 2 years in a row.

Minor suggestions: Granlund will get a bigger payday. Canucks will want to lock up Virtanen for some UFA years. Dahlen plays RW with Pettersson, Goldobin back to LW. Don't know where Gaunce ends up, but somebody good is going to win some bottom 6 spots in the next couple years with all the people we're trying. You could have added trade returns for Gudbranson and Edler, or Vanek/Burmistrov/etc. If everything is looking as smooth as this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sedins sign another contract with the Canucks but the team is better with Tavares+Doughty who ought to provide similar leadership/mentoring.

Realistically there will be more guys in the system winning jobs, we just don't know who yet and it's even harder to guess what would be coming back for any bodies shipped out. I don't know what they'll do with Subban and Pedan, but Brisebois and Chatfield will definitely play in the NHL.

The team you posted is a great cup contender on paper, and the real thing won't be too far from it. But I know the Canucks aren't 2 years away from the finals because there's so much trial and error getting the chemistry right. In light of that, I'm happy taking sure steps of letting guys internally win their spots and knowing we have the right chemistry and balance as a whole team. An idiot making direct comparisons of results is smarter than a genius trying to guess them.

I think if you're signing Tavares and Doughty, you should have a complete team first. It's like how Ryan Miller was too good of a goaltender for the Canucks and got them wins they didn't deserve, stopped them learning from the pain.

Technically possible, but we never see one team sign the biggest UFA 2 years in a row?

Sutter and Parise in 2012.
Sep. 15, 2017 at 6:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
They aren't getting JT and Doughty, and even if they do, they're getting them both in trades, not FA signings.
Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:28 a.m.
Why on earth would Doughty leave LA for VAN? LA is way closer to contending status, he's won 2 cups there already, the core is still there, this is ridiculous. Be practical.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll