Sep. 21, 2017 at 4:54 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Quoting: Mr_cap

Im talkin about the team.. not the player

Still doesn't change the calculus.

That makes no sense
Sep. 21, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.
The team and the player doesn't determine whether or not we have a period before GMs can be Offer Sheeted.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 4:57 p.m.
NBABound
The team and the player doesn't determine whether or not we have a period before GMs can be Offer Sheeted.

Lol im talkin about salary retentions not offer sheets
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:04 p.m.

-Can Cap sign his RFA's right now?

-If not what can be done for him to sign those players?

-If nothing, can we all offer sheet those players now?
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: F50marco
Quoting: ricochetii
Side topic: Is it just me or is is v2 retention ending up just as bad as v1?

We've had two good players with 50% retained already. I'm not saying retention on those players couldn't/wouldn't happen in real life, but 50% is extreme for a Pavelski or Duchene. Retention is for when cap just doesn't work or to move for a middling/poor player. Looks like it's only a matter of time before we end up with a bunch of half-priced superstars. Disappointing from a realism perspective.

Agreed but this is fantasy at the end of the day, the option is there at the GM's discretion. What I'll have a bigger beef with is if those players are traded again but for peanuts on the dollar so that a team like Pitts in V1 ends up with an all star team with all those players at half price to boot.

Side topic: Is it just me or is is v2 retention ending up just as bad as v1?

We've had two good players with 50% retained already. I'm not saying retention on those players couldn't/wouldn't happen in real life, but 50% is extreme for a Pavelski or Duchene. Retention is for when cap just doesn't work or to move for a middling/poor player. Looks like it's only a matter of time before we end up with a bunch of half-priced superstars. Disappointing from a realism perspective.

The point of both is that they have 1 or 2 years left on their contracts.

It's my opinion. I was hoping these things wouldn't be prevalent in V2 and was one of the big issues with V1.
Only a matter of time before "all of my picks" and Phaneuf at less than $2M happens.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:25 p.m.

Agreed but this is fantasy at the end of the day, the option is there at the GM's discretion. What I'll have a bigger beef with is if those players are traded again but for peanuts on the dollar so that a team like Pitts in V1 ends up with an all star team with all those players at half price to boot.

The point of both is that they have 1 or 2 years left on their contracts.

It's my opinion. I was hoping these things wouldn't be prevalent in V2 and was one of the big issues with V1.
Only a matter of time before "all of my picks" and Phaneuf at less than $2M happens.

By that point trades will start being revoked by the BOE though. No one can get away with a crazy trade like that anymore. For as good as Pavelski and Duchene are, both teams paid handsomely to get those players at 50% too.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:28 p.m.
Go Habs Go

By that point trades will start being revoked by the BOE though. No one can get away with a crazy trade like that anymore. For as good as Pavelski and Duchene are, both teams paid handsomely to get those players at 50% too.

That's part of the issue as well. Now every rebuilding team has to offer 50% retention in order to get similar assets and try to compete with those teams. I'm not rebuilding, so I have to worry about the other side of the coin, which is teams being able to stack their lineups with heavily discounted quality players.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:37 p.m.

That's part of the issue as well. Now every rebuilding team has to offer 50% retention in order to get similar assets and try to compete with those teams. I'm not rebuilding, so I have to worry about the other side of the coin, which is teams being able to stack their lineups with heavily discounted quality players.

They don't have to though. Its an incentive to get a higher return. That's all. If it means getting an extra 1st round pick, I'd gladly retain some extra salary. Especially if Im a team that can afford to have dead cap. One of the advantages of having a a team with cap space. Plus teams can only stack their roster with heavily discounted players if they have the assets to do so. Eventually they'll run out of talent to barter for those discounted forwards.

Eliminating bad trades that are clearly one GM not realizing he's getting screwed will resolve any over exaggerated roster lineups. There is only so many 1st round picks and high end prospects a team can have at one point.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:57 p.m.
Go Habs Go

They don't have to though. Its an incentive to get a higher return. That's all. If it means getting an extra 1st round pick, I'd gladly retain some extra salary. Especially if Im a team that can afford to have dead cap. One of the advantages of having a a team with cap space. Plus teams can only stack their roster with heavily discounted players if they have the assets to do so. Eventually they'll run out of talent to barter for those discounted forwards.

Eliminating bad trades that are clearly one GM not realizing he's getting screwed will resolve any over exaggerated roster lineups. There is only so many 1st round picks and high end prospects a team can have at one point.

It is what it is I guess. Expectations versus reality. wink
We're all getting a feel for v2 anyway, so we'll see how it works out in the end.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:11 p.m.

Cap cannot sign his RFAs.

- Because we haven't finalized voting on whether or not there will be an allotted time for RFAs to be signed by their rights holder
Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:20 p.m.

- Because we haven't finalized voting on whether or not there will be an allotted time for RFAs to be signed by their rights holder

OK fine but offer sheeting will only be allowed once that has happened right? Your not going to allow teams to offer sheet players before giving the rightful team their opportunity to sign those players.....
Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:27 p.m.

OK fine but offer sheeting will only be allowed once that has happened right? Your not going to allow teams to offer sheet players before giving the rightful team their opportunity to sign those players.....

My current vote is no, but I don't think that the other BOE members will vote in favor, per some humblings.

I am being swayed back towards the middle of the grid
Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:41 p.m.
Banned
W/e I'm over this crap. Figure this **** out and let us know what's happening. This should have all been done before he game started.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:01 p.m.
Go Jackets
I don't have any interest in offer sheeting any of the RFAs but am confused as to exactly what is going on... also was sort of under the impression this was figured out beforehand.

Also regarding the concerns about retaining on star players, as a team who's going to proactively rebuild it's just a way to accumulate extra assets that are critical to a successful rebuild. The other thing is that the retained players cannot be flipped due to their NTC status which helps to prevent overly stacked teams.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:07 p.m.
I am in agreement with Jabroni's motion, for the exact reasons he listed.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:25 p.m.
Are we allowed placing players on waivers for contract termination?
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17

Girardi?
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:55 p.m.
Edited Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:13 p.m.
This RFA issue was an oversight on my part. It slipped through the cracks and I didn't catch it.

However, its not too big of a hiccup. Jacketsman agreed with my motion, to what I assume is that GMs are allowed Offer Sheet players as soon as the voting commences. That being said, those who have outstanding RFAs shouldn't be too worried because they are not of elite status.

GMs who own those RFAs can file for BOE/GM Arbitration, in which no Offer Sheets may be presented and the employer is able to negotiate with the BOE on terms with their RFAs.

I am also very satisfied with over 90% of the game being planned before hand. It is a hell of a lot better than v1, which had zero planning whatsoever. This being one of the few minor issues is a good sign, as we aren't trying to figure everything out on the fly.

With that in mind, I believe that the motion that Offer Sheets can be presented, is in effect. (2-0) [phillyjabroni and Jacketsman61]

edit : pending Jacketsman61 vote; he didn't specify in detail and I want to have absolute certainty on which side he took
Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:57 p.m.

You cannot terminate a contract simply because it is convenient to you. Do you have any evidence of a particular contract that warrants contract termination?
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.
I think that is unfair to the GM's in the game who would like to sign their RFA's right now. Taking that away from them and letting offer sheets happen right after voting if unacceptable in my eyes. Thus, I will vote against allowing this putting the vote to 1-1 pending jacketsman's vote.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:15 p.m.
Out

You cannot terminate a contract simply because it is convenient to you. Do you have any evidence of a particular contract that warrants contract termination?

What would warrant contract termination for someone like Marc Staal? Retirement?
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:20 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Peterman

What would warrant contract termination for someone like Marc Staal? Retirement?

I would think anyone who doesn't have an NHL contract should be open to removal, but that shouldn't be an issue with current rosters, unless someone is let go after training camp.
I believe the question is whether we are allowed to buy out current NHL players at our discretion, or if we're stuck with them because they were part of our starting rosters.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:22 p.m.
Banned
You guys do understand that just because a guy gets offer sheeted doesn't mean the team owning the rights loses him right? This shouldn't be a huge issue.
Duster liked this.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
I think that is unfair to the GM's in the game who would like to sign their RFA's right now. Taking that away from them and letting offer sheets happen right after voting if unacceptable in my eyes. Thus, I will vote against allowing this putting the vote to 1-1 pending jacketsman's vote.

Thank you!!!! Someone actually understands.!

Jesus H Macy guys!!

I don't understand how this can be such a big deal! Im not against offer sheets. I'm against offer sheets taking precedence over THE ACTUAL TEAM WHO HAS THE PLAYER! Why can't a team sign a player they own the rights to (to a contract the BOE will have to agree to) ahead of a team that is submitting an offer sheet?

That makes literally no sense.
Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
You guys do understand that just because a guy gets offer sheeted doesn't mean the team owning the rights loses him right? This shouldn't be a huge issue.

I hear that part, its just a question on should the home team get first dibs.

The BOE also has to agree to the Offer Sheet. Meaning, you cannot just Offer Sheet Nikita Zadorov for 2M x 7 years. The way that Offer Sheets work is the same way it does in real life, only the BOE assumes player rights, as it does in the "arbitration hearings." If a team goes too low, the BOE counters. If the team gets it right, or goes higher, the BOE will likely accept the terms.

If we just did "force Offer Sheets", it would be the same thing in v1 with RFAs. You can basically sign players to whatever the heck you want and then carry on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll