Sep. 17, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
In the past 10 years.
Sep. 17, 2017 at 8:07 p.m.
Vegas
Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:02 p.m.
Not even a close question, Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics
Sep. 18, 2017 at 1:01 a.m.
Chicago drafts really nice players later on in the draft. They've gotten guys like Kruger and Shaw in the 5th round and they get really nice depth pieces like Tyler Motte and Hinostroza. It would be nice to see them keep some of those picks like a Teravainen. But they tend to either get a lot of strong players like in 2011 where 7 of their 11 picks are playing somewhere in the NHL or at very least have had little stints at being in the NHL. Or they have drafts where all you get out of the draft is Ben Smith. They aren’t my first pick, but they are consistent in finding good players.
Surprisingly Buffalo has done very good recently, we just don't realize this because they traded everyone. But they have had players that are at least serviceable Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, Grigorenko, Girgensons. The problem is they just have such a revolving door. This is a list of players drafted since 2007 who are playing on a team in the NHL other than the Sabers. Paul Byron, Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Marcus Folingo, Zack Kassian, Brayden Mcnabb, Mark Pysyk, Joel Armia, Mikhail Grigorenko, Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher. And if we go further back since 2000 add 8 more active players to that list.
Teams that do the worst:
Montreal: Only 4 players in their last 5 drafts have made the team. Currently they only have one in their lineup. (Lehkonen). There are two drafts that really stick out for success for Montreal 2007 (McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Yannick Weber all NHL Caliber.) They had a success rate of 44%. That is a good draft especially since three of those names you can sell to fans. The other draft that stick out had a success rate of 40%. 2011 Jarred Tinordi (who at very least has played in the NHL) and Brendan Gallagher, who is Montreal's one "steal" of the draft as he was drafted in the 5th round at 147. I get that Montreal has some highly touted prospects--as few and far in between--but they do not historically draft well (in our conversation of the last 10 years) out of the second round. I also get that they don’t really like playing young kids but they have not developed well at all. They are really competitive because players grow up wanting to play for them and sign there. They also make some smart trades.
Boston, not great either. If we are going on success rate of draft picks Boston does not historically really well in later rounds like a certain person with yellow tinted glasses might have you believe. They have gotten good players like Marchand in the 3rd round but the rest of the picks are pretty bad. In the first and second round they get absolute studs like Pastrnak and Hamilton. In the second round they pick up guys like Lucic, Spooner and Carlo. The last player that has played several NHL games who was picked 3rd round or later? Seth Griffith.
Edmonton is the final team bad drafting team I have over the last ten years. Their problem was not missing with the picks they had in the first round...it was most picks after that. That being said they have gotten better. But they have had some pretty bad picks who have gone on to greener pastures and have played okay.
Some interesting notes as I was looking at some draft records
Ottawa has snagged some really nice pieces in the later rounds by focusing on the WHL and USHL, however they primarily lean on the OHL and SHL.
Anaheim really good at drafting defense...not so much on the forwards since 2007. they've had guys like Rakell who is really their last homegrown forward that they've kept.
And Finally, Toronto and the main reason I have kept them off the best drafting list...they have really only gotten good at drafting since 2014 but more realistically they got to another level in 2015. They have had some good players like Kadri and Rielly. It is not like they couldn't draft in 2006 all but one of their picks made it to the NHL--they all had varying levels of success, but they made and only one is still with the team and that is Komarov. The following year two players out of a possible six ever made the show. They have had a couple steals like Connor Brown in the 6th round. Komarov in the 7th round. They just have not been on their A game since then.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:08 a.m.
I feel like Nashville has done a solid job draft over the last 10 years. Josi, Spaling, Wilson, Ellis, Smith, Ekholm, Bourque, Watson, Sissons & Arvidsson just to name a handful I could think of off the top of my head. Could throw Vesey in there even though he never played for Nashville.

Quoting: ChiaPetty
Boston, not great either. If we are going on success rate of draft picks Boston does not historically really well in later rounds like a certain person with yellow tinted glasses might have you believe. They have gotten good players like Marchand in the 3rd round but the rest of the picks are pretty bad. In the first and second round they get absolute studs like Pastrnak and Hamilton. In the second round they pick up guys like Lucic, Spooner and Carlo. The last player that has played several NHL games who was picked 3rd round or later? Seth Griffith.

We were so bad at drafting while PC was in charge here. Some people count 2006 as his first draft, even though by NHL rules he couldn't be involved, but I look at 2007 (when he was officially GM) to 2014 when thankfully he was fired. During that time....

48 total draft picks
44% = never played in NHL
77% = 41 games or less in the NHL

Some of PC's best picks were gift wrapped for him (Seguin/Hamilton) and neither player is no longer with the team. In fact only 29% of PC picks are still within the B's organization (NHL or minors) and that's what makes things worse. Funny enough though, I PC may have crushed his last draft in Boston when he took Pasta, Donato, Heinen, Bjork & Johansson. 3 of these 5 could be in Boston this season w/ Donato not to far behind.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.
TrueNorth
Obvoiusly a homer pick here but the Jets since relocation have done extremely well through the draft. Current roster players:

Scheifele and Lowry in 2011
Trouba and Hellebuyck in 2012
Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Copp, and Poolman in 2013
Ehlers in 2014
Connor, Roslovic, Harkins and Spacek in 2015
Laine and Stanley in 2016
Stole Vesalainen at 24 in 2017.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:39 a.m.
Since 2014, it's been all Hextall. He turned a prospect pool of C+ forwards in the top 5, to having the best depth in the NHL and better prospects

Travis Sanheim
Sam Morin
Ivan Provorov
Travis Konecny
German Rubstov
Oskar Lindblom
Carter Hart
Felix Sandstrom
Nolan Patrick (doesn't really count)
Morgan Frost
Isaac Ratcliffe

There is a ton of good potential there

James van Riemsdyke
Scott Laughton
Claude Giroux ('06)
Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere
Munsen88 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:02 a.m.
you and your silly philly..
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
I feel like Nashville has done a solid job draft over the last 10 years. Josi, Spaling, Wilson, Ellis, Smith, Ekholm, Bourque, Watson, Sissons & Arvidsson just to name a handful I could think of off the top of my head. Could throw Vesey in there even though he never played for Nashville.

We were so bad at drafting while PC was in charge here. Some people count 2006 as his first draft, even though by NHL rules he couldn't be involved, but I look at 2007 (when he was officially GM) to 2014 when thankfully he was fired. During that time....

48 total draft picks

Some of PC's best picks were gift wrapped for him (Seguin/Hamilton) and neither player is no longer with the team. In fact only 29% of PC picks are still within the B's organization (NHL or minors) and that's what makes things worse. Funny enough though, I PC may have crushed his last draft in Boston when he took Pasta, Donato, Heinen, Bjork & Johansson. 3 of these 5 could be in Boston this season w/ Donato not to far behind.

Which two of those names you listed are first and second round picks. Out of the first and second round (which you need to be successful in to be continuously competitive in in this league ie Pittsburgh and Chicago) they stink. In the last ten years every other team has managed to get very successful players in the third round on.
Drafting is the Bruins big problem. Handling young players is a big problem for the Bruins. Why release that the three picks that were taken back to back to back out of shape. That is something you handle internally, public shame drives players away from you organization. This is basic psychology that being publicly shamed even in front of very few people leads to high levels on animosity. The Bruins have signed Tyler Seguin to a fantastic deal then getting very little in return from him. Seguin was gifted to the Bruins and today would probably be in their top three players. Pasta could have been another disaster.
Comparatively to the other teams in the league the Bruins do not draft well.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Since 2014, it's been all Hextall. He turned a prospect pool of C+ forwards in the top 5, to having the best depth in the NHL and better prospects

Travis Sanheim
Sam Morin
Ivan Provorov
Travis Konecny
German Rubstov
Oskar Lindblom
Carter Hart
Felix Sandstrom
Morgan Frost
Isaac Ratcliffe

James van Riemsdyke
Scott Laughton
Claude Giroux ('06)
Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere

I might agree that PHI has the best prospects, but the best depth? In the league? laugh
Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:51 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Travis Sanheim
Sam Morin
Ivan Provorov
Travis Konecny
German Rubstov
Oskar Lindblom
Carter Hart
Felix Sandstrom
Morgan Frost
Isaac Ratcliffe

James van Riemsdyke
Scott Laughton
Claude Giroux ('06)
Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere

Best depth in the league??? You don't make any sense. Get your bias out of here
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 1:11 p.m.

48 total draft picks

Which two of those names you listed are first and second round picks. Out of the first and second round (which you need to be successful in to be continuously competitive in in this league ie Pittsburgh and Chicago) they stink. In the last ten years every other team has managed to get very successful players in the third round on.
Drafting is the Bruins big problem. Handling young players is a big problem for the Bruins. Why release that the three picks that were taken back to back to back out of shape. That is something you handle internally, public shame drives players away from you organization. This is basic psychology that being publicly shamed even in front of very few people leads to high levels on animosity. The Bruins have signed Tyler Seguin to a fantastic deal then getting very little in return from him. Seguin was gifted to the Bruins and today would probably be in their top three players. Pasta could have been another disaster.

The only reason it was put out there (and it was leaked, the intention wasn't' to make it public) was because it was Sweeney's first year and people were pissed that he didn't take the flashy names. The Seguin thing I put on Neely as he was the one driving the bus to get him out of town. PC didn't really want to trade him, but he had pressure from up above to make it happen. As the rumor goes, Seguin was also traded for nailing Horton's wife and Horton wouldn't return if Seguin was still around. Long story short we traded Seguin for next to nothing and Horton still left.

Under Sweeney our drafting has improved immensely as has our player development. Sadly this only account for the last 3 drafts and it'll take another 3 more like it to negate the 7 piss poor drafts of PC.
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:52 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
Philly has picked some good prospects in the last few years. Only draft classes to not produce any NHL talent is in the 2 years they gave up picks in the Pronger trade. Solid case to be made for the Flyers.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:57 a.m.

48 total draft picks

Oh man, this has been covered already.
Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:00 a.m.

The only reason it was put out there (and it was leaked, the intention wasn't' to make it public) was because it was Sweeney's first year and people were pissed that he didn't take the flashy names. The Seguin thing I put on Neely as he was the one driving the bus to get him out of town. PC didn't really want to trade him, but he had pressure from up above to make it happen. As the rumor goes, Seguin was also traded for nailing Horton's wife and Horton wouldn't return if Seguin was still around. Long story short we traded Seguin for next to nothing and Horton still left.

Under Sweeney our drafting has improved immensely as has our player development. Sadly this only account for the last 3 drafts and it'll take another 3 more like it to negate the 7 piss poor drafts of PC.

I predict Providence to be in the top 3 teams in the East this year for points. Top 5 overall. So the recent picks support ON3M4N's points here.....
Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:54 a.m.
The Flyers have around 25 prospects that range from "top to intriguing sleeper".
Sep. 19, 2017 at 10:12 a.m.
The Flyers have around 25 prospects that range from "top to intriguing sleeper".

I wonder what will happen to them when you can only carry 23 on a roster!!
Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill

Not all prospects pan out. Some will also be traded
Sep. 20, 2017 at 2:02 a.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
Quoting: PaulDunnill

Not all prospects pan out. Some will also be traded

Exactly so their prospect pool isn't as good as people think because they won't all end up playing there!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit