SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Where does Florida finish in the overall standings this year?

Where does Florida finish in the overall standings this year?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:34 p.m.
Florida has made a ton of puzzling moves this offseason, from letting Marchessault and Smith go in the expansion, not resigning Jagr and Vanek, buying out Jokinen, and now trading off Demers for almost nothing in return. Given their lineup as it is, where do you see this team finishing in the overall League standings this year?
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:45 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
If I were to rank them from the worst up, I'd put Florida at 5. They have very little scoring, their stars are injury prone, and they have a goalie tandem that isn't going to be able to make up for it. The teams I have below them are Colorado, Vegas, Vancouver and Detroit (yes, I see New Jersey being better than them)
Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
If I were to rank them from the worst up, I'd put Florida at 5. They have very little scoring, their stars are injury prone, and they have a goalie tandem that isn't going to be able to make up for it. The teams I have below them are Colorado, Vegas, Vancouver and Detroit (yes, I see New Jersey being better than them)

I'd have to agree with you. I still see Huberdeau/Barkov/Ekblad being able to push them past a few teams, but man... If Ekblad gets hurt again, that makes either Pysyk or Petrovic a top 2 D on their team. Their depth all around is pretty dismal.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 6:07 p.m.
The bottom 6 is very likely Vegas, Vancouver, Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey and Florida.

I don't see Colorado doing that mugh better in the standings. Vancouver will be **** again, Vegas are well, Vegas and Detroit has gotten worse. New Jersey and Florida will be 5th and 6th last.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 6:35 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: mtdavis311
Florida has made a ton of puzzling moves this offseason, from letting Marchessault and Smith go in the expansion, not resigning Jagr and Vanek, buying out Jokinen, and now trading off Demers for almost nothing in return. Given their lineup as it is, where do you see this team finishing in the overall League standings this year?
I wouldn't call it "puzzling"; the reasoning is apparent. But they're still dumb moves.

I'll be generous and say bottom 15.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 7:24 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I wouldn't call it "puzzling"; the reasoning is apparent. But they're still dumb moves.

Puzzling in the aspect of trying to field a winning team... If they're looking to trim salary to maximize profit, then it makes total sense.

However, I don't know how wise it is for a team in an already struggling market in terms of fan activity and ticket sales to purposely make their team worse to boost profits.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

Puzzling in the aspect of trying to field a winning team... If they're looking to trim salary to maximize profit, then it makes total sense.

However, I don't know how wise it is for a team in an already struggling market in terms of fan activity and ticket sales to purposely make their team worse to boost profits.
It's not really about trimming salary, either. It's Dale Tallon undoing every major free agent signing that Tom Rowe made last off-season. Tallon had to bribe George McPhee with Jonathan Marchessault in order to dump Reilly Smith's contract, and he originally tried to trade Demers to Vancouver to get Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers blocked the trade with his modified NTC. I bet that if Keith Yandle didn't have a ginormous contract with a NMC and a NTC, he'd be gone, too. Reimer's only here because a) he's a good goaltender on a very good contract and b) Samuel Montembault just got out of the QMJHL and needs a season or two in the AHL first.

But, yes, you could say it's puzzling if you consider the Panthers' main objective in these trades to be 'fielding a winning team', 'cause they're not. I'm not really sure that Tallon's goal here even considers boosting profits so much as re-asserting control over the Panthers and stroking his own ego in the process.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:15 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
It really is a shame. This team was loaded with potential after they won the division in 2016, and they had so much young talent to build around. Now there is so much turnover throughout the entire organization to the point where it might be best to completely wipe the slate clean from top to bottom. New owners, new management, etc. They are going to ruin their young players that they waited so long to get.

Pack up, move to Quebec, and start over. Keep Ekblad and Barkov sheltered as much as possible. This is ridiculous already
mtdavis311 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:18 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
It really is a shame. This team was loaded with potential after they won the division in 2016, and they had so much young talent to build around. Now there is so much turnover throughout the entire organization to the point where it might be best to completely wipe the slate clean from top to bottom. New owners, new management, etc. They are going to ruin their young players that they waited so long to get.

Pack up, move to Quebec, and start over. Keep Ekblad and Barkov sheltered as much as possible. This is ridiculous already
Not to Québec City. Canadian dollar is 80 cents on the USD, and metro area is still small. They'd hemorrhage money from day 1, just like they were in '95 when they left.

Plus, the entire reason behind Bettman pushing expansion franchises in the Sun Belt and the like was to get new people to watch hockey. Going back to Québec just takes away eyeballs that were already watching Canadiens games and buying Canadiens merch and puts them on Nordiques games.
Munsen88 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
2nd last
Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.

Not to Québec City. Canadian dollar is 80 cents on the USD, and metro area is still small. They'd hemorrhage money from day 1, just like they were in '95 when they left.

Plus, the entire reason behind Bettman pushing expansion franchises in the Sun Belt and the like was to get new people to watch hockey. Going back to Québec just takes away eyeballs that were already watching Canadiens games and buying Canadiens merch and puts them on Nordiques games.

It doesnt help they play on the outskirts of Miami instead of the downtown core.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:29 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: boltscharge17

It doesnt help they play on the outskirts of Miami instead of the downtown core.
yeah; the BB&T Center is basically on the edge of the Everglades, but they're there until 2028, so not much can be done about that.

Really gets my goat, though, when people talk about Miami as Not A Hockey Market™ and somehow never call for relocation of the team on the other side of the state.
Munsen88 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:02 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The bottom 6 is very likely Vegas, Vancouver, Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey and Florida.

I don't see Colorado doing that mugh better in the standings. Vancouver will be **** again, Vegas are well, Vegas and Detroit has gotten worse. New Jersey and Florida will be 5th and 6th last.

This is in no particular order: Vancouver, Vegas, NJ, Colorado, Florida, and Philly.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:05 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

This is in no particular order: Vancouver, Vegas, NJ, Colorado, Florida, and Philly.

Philly? Haha. Do you really think Detroit will be better than them?
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:13 p.m.
Overall Standings IMO

1. Pissburgh
2. Anaheim
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Tampa Bay
6. Chicago
7. New York Rangers
8. Washington
9. St. Louis
10. Toronto
11. Dallas
12. Calgary
13. Nashville
14. Ottawa
15. Carolina
16. Minnesota
17. Winnipeg
18. Arizona
19. Montreal
20. Boston
21. Buffalo
22. San Jose
23. Philadelphia
24. New York Islanders
25. Los Angeles
26. New Jersey
27. Florida
28. Detroit
29. Colorado
30. Vegas
31. Vancouver
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

yeah, Detroit's not gonna be a playoff team, but i expect them to be better than this year ... Philly's just got worse ... they traded Schenn and lost their starter and they're in a division with a lot of teams getting better (NYI, Carolina, etc.)
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:16 p.m.

yeah, Detroit's not gonna be a playoff team, but i expect them to be better than this year ... Philly's just got worse ... they traded Schenn and lost their starter and they're in a division with a lot of teams getting better (NYI, Carolina, etc.)

I dont see how not being able to sign Athanasiou helps...
Tatar and Nyquist will likely be better, Z will probably still be very good, but who do they after that for scoring? Abdekater? Lol
Black Lives Matter
Overall Standings IMO

1. Pissburgh
2. Anaheim
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Tampa Bay
6. Chicago
7. New York Rangers
8. Washington
9. St. Louis
10. Toronto
11. Dallas
12. Calgary
13. Nashville
14. Ottawa
15. Carolina
16. Minnesota
17. Winnipeg
18. Arizona
19. Montreal
20. Boston
21. Buffalo
22. San Jose
23. Philadelphia
24. New York Islanders
25. Los Angeles
26. New Jersey
27. Florida
28. Detroit
29. Colorado
30. Vegas
31. Vancouver

Vancouver is getting better, the Ducks won't be 2nd in the league, and the Isles will be better than Philly.
Black Lives Matter

I dont see how not being able to sign Athanasiou helps...
Tatar and Nyquist will likely be better, Z will probably still be very good, but who do they after that for scoring? Abdekater? Lol

how did they do this year? Not that terrible.

Edit: and i expect Athanasiou to sign.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.
Overall Standings IMO

1. Pissburgh
2. Anaheim
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Tampa Bay
6. Chicago
7. New York Rangers
8. Washington
9. St. Louis
10. Toronto
11. Dallas
12. Calgary
13. Nashville
14. Ottawa
15. Carolina
16. Minnesota
17. Winnipeg
18. Arizona
19. Montreal
20. Boston
21. Buffalo
22. San Jose
23. Philadelphia
24. New York Islanders
25. Los Angeles
26. New Jersey
27. Florida
28. Detroit
29. Colorado
30. Vegas
31. Vancouver

Vancouver is getting better, the Ducks won't be 2nd in the league, and the Isles will be better than Philly.

If getting better means siging MDZ and Weircoch instead of getting some younger players time to play and not having a #1, sure. Also, Anaheim has been one of the best teams in recent years consistently. They wont fall off a cliff and plummet like you think they will. Yes, Perry isnt as good but Rakell and Silfverberg help pick up the scoring. Missing Lindholm and Vatanen will hurt, but Fowler, Montour and Manson is still very good.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:21 p.m.

LMFAO they are 3 million over the cap with Franson. Without him they are slightly under the cap. Unless they give up a lot to dump cap like Helm, Ericsson, or Howard, Athanasiou is going bye bye to Russia.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
31 - Vegas
30 - Florida
29 - New Jersey
28 - Vancouver
27 - Colorado
26 - Philadelphia
25 - Detroit
24 - Buffalo
23 - Carolina
22 - Winnipeg
21 - Boston
20 - Minnesota
19 - Los Angeles
18 - Ottawa
17 - St. Louis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 - Montreal
15 - Calgary
14 - Arizona
13 - NY Islanders
12 - Toronto
11 - NY Rangers
10 - Anaheim
9 - Edmonton
8 - Tampa Bay
7 - Columbus
6 - Dallas
5 - Nashville
4 - Chicago
3 - Washington
2 - Pittsburgh
1 - San Jose
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

If getting better means siging MDZ and Weircoch instead of getting some younger players time to play and not having a #1, sure. Also, Anaheim has been one of the best teams in recent years consistently. They wont fall off a cliff and plummet like you think they will. Yes, Perry isnt as good but Rakell and Silfverberg help pick up the scoring. Missing Lindholm and Vatanen will hurt, but Fowler, Montour and Manson is still very good.

that's fair
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

LMFAO they are 3 million over the cap with Franson. Without him they are slightly under the cap. Unless they give up a lot to dump cap like Helm, Ericsson, or Howard, Athanasiou is going bye bye to Russia.

Ken Holland, who's actually a good GM, will find a way.
Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:36 p.m.

Ken Holland, who's actually a good GM, will find a way.

Well his loyalty ways have screwed him over.

DeKeyser 6 years/30 millilon
Ericsson 6 years/25.5 million
Howard 6 years/31.75 million
Kronwall 7 years/33.25 million
Glendening 4 years/7.2 million
Helm 5 years/19.25 million

And the worst of them all...
Abdelkader 7 years/29.75 million
DoctorBreakfast liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: