SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which GMs Should be Fired?

Sep. 22, 2017 at 2:54 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I know that we all disagree with certain moves general managers make. Which ones should be fired and why? I would say Marc Bergevin for his horrible decisions with the defense and the way he's handled his top line center problem (plus that Andrighetto trade), Sakic for not just trading Duchene to get the distraction away from the team and leaving Pickard exposed over Varlamov, and Garth Snow for whatever the hell he's doing with the Islanders.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 3:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Many will disagree with me on this one, but i think the Islanders should consider firing Garth Snow.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 3:11 p.m.
Edited Sep. 22, 2017 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Many will disagree with me on this one, but i think the Islanders should consider firing Garth Snow.

yeah... no ones going to disagree with you on that one
DoctorBreakfast, phillyjabroni, Barathrum_Obama and 10 others liked this.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.
Below Market Value
Edited Sep. 22, 2017 at 3:24 p.m.
Ken Holland, Garth Snow, Marc Bergevin if the Habs looks bad this season, Joe Sakic, Doug Wison may find himself on thin ice if San Jose can't compete this year.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 4:20 p.m.
After the very confusing off season, Dale Tallon should probably be let go. But I will put a stipulation on it and say that whatever this off season was he is not totally to blame. There is something fishy going on with the team.
My concern is that ownership seems to have their hand in running the team, which usually is not great. Very rarely does ownership actually help make team decisions. There was that report were ownership wanted Tallon to shed salary to get the payroll below 65 Million. Tallon did get rid of a net 10 Million Dollars between shipping out Smith and Demers, not resigning a laundry list of players they had and buying out Jokinen. Putting the Panthers at 63.5 million dollars under the newly installed internal cap. Tallon did deny that ownership had said something but it is really hard to deny that some of these head scratching moves line up with the ownership restrictions. Also Much like Ottawa and Anaheim, you do not want to publicly admit that you are downsizing.
That does not mean Tallon is off the hook. But he can buy himself time with a couple of excuses. The team was busted up all year long. The new coaches systems have not taken over yet. It was the computer boys' fault in trust the numbers more than the on ice product. He probably has saved a years worth of good will because of how the Panthers have played the last few years and making their couple of games worth of playoff revenue.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 4:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Also, if the Blackhawks struggle, maybe Stan Bowman. Probably only if they struggle though.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 4:43 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: ChiaPetty
After the very confusing off season, Dale Tallon should probably be let go. But I will put a stipulation on it and say that whatever this off season was he is not totally to blame. There is something fishy going on with the team.
My concern is that ownership seems to have their hand in running the team, which usually is not great. Very rarely does ownership actually help make team decisions. There was that report were ownership wanted Tallon to shed salary to get the payroll below 65 Million. Tallon did get rid of a net 10 Million Dollars between shipping out Smith and Demers, not resigning a laundry list of players they had and buying out Jokinen. Putting the Panthers at 63.5 million dollars under the newly installed internal cap. Tallon did deny that ownership had said something but it is really hard to deny that some of these head scratching moves line up with the ownership restrictions. Also Much like Ottawa and Anaheim, you do not want to publicly admit that you are downsizing.
That does not mean Tallon is off the hook. But he can buy himself time with a couple of excuses. The team was busted up all year long. The new coaches systems have not taken over yet. It was the computer boys' fault in trust the numbers more than the on ice product. He probably has saved a years worth of good will because of how the Panthers have played the last few years and making their couple of games worth of playoff revenue.

I honestly don't think their offseason was all that bad. their personnel situation is really weird, that's true. but I don'tthink he should be let go. let's give him the benefit of doubt and say he has a plan.. would be a bad idea to get a new GM undoing his changes again. the team needs a direction.
Ken Holland, on the other hand, is steering his team nowhere. As is Linden.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I forgot about Holland...his glory days are over for sure. The contracts he gave to Nielsen, Ericsson, Abdelkader, etc. are all going to screw the Red Wings when it comes time to sign players they actually want
Sep. 22, 2017 at 6:38 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I forgot about Holland...his glory days are over for sure. The contracts he gave to Nielsen, Ericsson, Abdelkader, etc. are all going to screw the Red Wings when it comes time to sign players they actually want

they already can't sign one they want... *cough*cough* Athanasiou *cough*cough*
Duster liked this.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:06 p.m.
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama

I honestly don't think their offseason was all that bad. their personnel situation is really weird, that's true. but I don'tthink he should be let go. let's give him the benefit of doubt and say he has a plan.. would be a bad idea to get a new GM undoing his changes again. the team needs a direction.

I don't think the off season was bad either as it was more strange, however ownership gets to make that decision and I don't know come next spring if they will be entirely happy with the results. Like I said though I think he has bought himself some good will I just think if they don't make the playoffs again (especially in the dog eat dog world that the East is becoming) they will not be keeping Tallon around. There are GMs that should be fired way ahead of him like Holland, but as long as his team keeps making the playoffs he will be there. Ownership is just getting in the way like it had been with the leafs a long time ago, and like the Canucks are dealing with. That and with the cutting of salary I don't think Tallon has a long leash.
Really Jeff Molson is the only owner I can think of did a good job as influencing his team as an owner as he told them to not trade PK Subban about 2 or 3 years ago. Buddy who owns the Bills and Rams ownership consistantly meddles in the dealing of their teams and it does not work out very well.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:31 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

I don't think the off season was bad either as it was more strange, however ownership gets to make that decision and I don't know come next spring if they will be entirely happy with the results. Like I said though I think he has bought himself some good will I just think if they don't make the playoffs again (especially in the dog eat dog world that the East is becoming) they will not be keeping Tallon around. There are GMs that should be fired way ahead of him like Holland, but as long as his team keeps making the playoffs he will be there. Ownership is just getting in the way like it had been with the leafs a long time ago, and like the Canucks are dealing with. That and with the cutting of salary I don't think Tallon has a long leash.
Really Jeff Molson is the only owner I can think of did a good job as influencing his team as an owner as he told them to not trade PK Subban about 2 or 3 years ago. Buddy who owns the Bills and Rams ownership consistantly meddles in the dealing of their teams and it does not work out very well.

maybe I've lost track a little. Tallon might be in the discussion about GMs who could be fired, but shouldn't be in the one about who should be fired imo. and yes, ownership should keep to themselves and not get involved with hockey decisions.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 8:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Barathrum Obama: Interesting concept on owners "not getting involved with hockey decisions." Then you have rogue GMs that screw the teams for years.....and the Leafs had three in a row Baby Ferguson, Brian the Brain Burke and Dave Nonis.
My theory is that GMs should put their potential trades /signing on CapFriendly and get some different views. Better idea than having a "good old boys" round table who all think a like.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 8:31 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: palhal
Barathrum Obama: Interesting concept on owners "not getting involved with hockey decisions." Then you have rogue GMs that screw the teams for years.....and the Leafs had three in a row Baby Ferguson, Brian the Brain Burke and Dave Nonis.
My theory is that GMs should put their potential trades /signing on CapFriendly and get some different views. Better idea than having a "good old boys" round table who all think a like.

Lol that would be awesome for us, but not very practical.

The people in charge of NHL teams are professionals, considered to have exceptional hockey knowledge. They wouldn't care about the viewpoints of people on this site, because at the end of the day, their hockey knowledge got them to these positions, where we are simply in a spot to discuss our opinions. Whether they are right or not, they don't care about what us "normal folk" think
Sep. 22, 2017 at 8:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
True Krakowitz. I just wondering (especially as a Leaf fan), why the very rich and supposedly smart owners of the Leafs during the Ferguson, Burke, Nonis,,,make so many bad decisions year after year.
The Finger signing where is UFA played in the AHL. Resigning Grabo, and then buying him out after two year of five year deal, Signing Clarkson and he was so bad, you got cap relief. by taking on Horton's uninsured contract. Tons of mistakes in between

Of course my original post was tongue in cheek. And you are correct all three (and just all GMS) don't give a hoot what Joe Fan think. By I will go on record saying Ferguson was incompetent. Had not reason to be a hockey executive. And Burke: Loved being President of the Leafs but was so lazy and distracted to take any interest in being GM and the leg work needed in player evaluation. Nonis, was Burke's little boy, and again had little appreciation of hockey players evaluations or the appreciation of the salary cap.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 8:46 p.m.

maybe I've lost track a little. Tallon might be in the discussion about GMs who could be fired, but shouldn't be in the one about who should be fired imo. and yes, ownership should keep to themselves and not get involved with hockey decisions.

No you are correct I think I just read it wrong totally my fault. Read the question too quickly on lunch break and typed it out. As for GMs who should be fired, Holland for sure. I don't see how he's allowed to clean up the mess. Like the Leafs and Coyotes, the former GM does not get to clean up the mess. A Leaf-like overhaul in the front office needs to happen in Detroit before any real progress can be made. I think Holland actually made some decent moves last year by pulling in assets for players like Smith and Vanek, but really it is time for a change. I don't think that Red Wings fans hate Holland by any means, but it is time for him to move on.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 9:42 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Two Words : Garth Snow
Sep. 22, 2017 at 9:42 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: EthanK24
Two Words : Garth Snow

... or any iles GM ever.
Sep. 22, 2017 at 10:36 p.m.
Holland, Tallon, Snow.

Benning has done a decent job drafting but is absolutely clueless when it comes to signing UFAs and trades. He's on the chopping block for sure if he makes another **** signing or trade
Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:45 a.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: palhal

eh, you know what I meant. as in "not tampering with decisions that should be GM decisions"
Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.
Pretty much agree with all suggestions on here!! Surprised not to see Sweeney!!!!
Sep. 23, 2017 at 7:44 p.m.
How has no one mentioned Jim Benning? He's absolutely horrendous
Sep. 23, 2017 at 7:52 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: DavidBooth7

I've meant to. I've said "Linden" who is President of Hockey Operations, not GM. hoops.
Sep. 23, 2017 at 8:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: DavidBooth7

His free agent signings are horrible. What's the point of signing Eriksson? Why sign MDZ? Gagner? Vanek makes sense, if he wants to trade him at the deadline. The drafting has been fairly good too. Boeser looks like a steal, and the Burrows trade was good

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll