SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What does the preseason tell about your team and rating your teams preseason so far

Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:52 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:12 a.m.
Everyone says the same thing: "The results in the preseason don't matter!"
the preseason for the teams themselves, it's just a long one month warmup / try-outs. Veteran play shouldn't be criticized too harshly and basically everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

However, the preseason does showcase a teams depth as younger players try to push for spots and show how far they've come along into their development.

As a Habs fan this has been a mixed bag of a preseason. Some positive stuff, and some negative stuff. For the negative it's not becasue MTL has 0 wins so far, who cares about that, but that there are plenty of roster spots available and almost no one is stepping up to take those positions. McCarron, Scherbak (MTL first round picks) look terrible in the lineup. De la Rose (MTL 2nd rd pick) has shown no sign of improvement. The positives are those who have stepped up; Hudon and Lehkonen and Mete. Hudon is showing that he can contribute top 6 point production and Lehkonen is turning really nicely into a top 6 forward who is an offensive threat and can be considered one the the best defensive forwards on the team (Marian Hossa style). Mete taking the spot next to Weber can be seen as both good and bad honestly, the fact that a 19year old straight out of the OHL can log solid NHL minutes is a good sign for the Habs, but it also shows that there's really no one else on Defense that can play with Weber, Alzner seems already set to make a pairing with Petry, and after that theres not much else showing any promise.

What do you think your teams preseason so far?
Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:43 a.m.
Brock Boeser is REALLY GOOD
Blazingbat11 and wojme liked this.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:53 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Sahil2020
Brock Boeser is REALLY GOOD

who is he playing with? Horvat? Sedins?
Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:11 a.m.
Superstars like Megna and chaput
DoctorBreakfast and Daryl liked this.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 8:47 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
That Al Montoya sucks and Lindgren should be #2.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 10:03 a.m.
The major takeaway I keep coming back to after everytime seeing them play together....Marchand/Bergeron/Bjork may end up being the best line in hockey this year.

As a whole though, Boston's pre-season has been a great one. We've seen a lot of our young talent step up and make big plays so far. Definitely nice to see the youngsters pushing the vets to work/play harder and not take a shift off. I know I keep saying this, but Boston is going to surprise people this year. Do I think we'll be a Cup contender? probably not as Pitt is still the bench mark of the East. I will say though that I can see Boston making the playoffs and winning a series or two.

The biggest question mark for Boston is who will be the back-up. Subban played a fantastic game last night and Dobby has looked good pre-season too. If we can get some better back-up goaltending and give Rask a little more rest, we'll be in for a solid year.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 10:39 a.m.
Below Market Value
The prospects are looking good, there's some nice chemistry developing, but there are still a few question marks. But overall, looking solid.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 10:40 a.m.
For the Hawks, I’m really glad Saad is back. Also some of the young guys have really impressed especially Vinnie and Hayden. DeBridicat has been very good as well like a little water bug with Kane and Schmaltz who has really stepped up to play on that “lottery line” Anton Forsberg is really going to fill the hole left by Darling’s departure nicely.
The players that have impressed me the least Jucro. I don’t like whipping boys on teams but he just has not looked up to par with the rest of them. Franson has been okay. I still do think that trading Hjammer was a mistake (I might be bias because I really like him) but the defense still has some weaknesses. But they do have some young guys now that god forbid someone gets hurt they can come in and at least play a couple games.
I do like the depth they have as well. Rockford is going to be better since the kids are just going to run crazy down there now that the old veterans have been cleared out.
Honestly it’s still a dog fight for the last forward spot and the bottom pairing. I do like Franson but Rutta has looked really good. I think Pokka and Oesterle have looked good as well but I don’t think it’s in the cards for them to stay up. Just based on the lines I think it will look something like this on opening night:
Saad-Toews-Panik
DeBrindicat-Schmaltz-Kane
Sharp-Anisimov-Hartman
Bouma-Vinnie-Hayden
Tootoo, Kero.
On D
Kieth-Murphy
Seabrook-Forsling
Kempny-Rutta
Franson (most likely though I prefer Pokka)
Goalies
Crawford
Forsberg
Sep. 26, 2017 at 10:56 a.m.
Volkov is a steal and gem.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 11:34 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
I can trust Borgman being the Leafs bottom pairing with Carrick.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 11:42 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93

Rosen has been both the left side and right side. Gee maybe Borgman and Rosen get third pairing and Carrick goes to 7th Dman. After those first two pre season games, the Leafs look like much in mid season form. Seem very organized and disciplined in their forechecking and defensive play.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:14 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
The prospects are looking good, there's some nice chemistry developing, but there are still a few question marks. But overall, looking solid.

Who are you talking about?
Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:17 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: EthanK24

Who are you talking about?

Ha. Nice try.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:20 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Quoting: palhal

Rosen has been both the left side and right side. Gee maybe Borgman and Rosen get third pairing and Carrick goes to 7th Dman. After those first two pre season games, the Leafs look like much in mid season form. Seem very organized and disciplined in their forechecking and defensive play.

Honestly if thats the case I could say Carrick out the Door. for any decent piece in return. Call up maybe Dermott for #7 or maybe keep marincin,. I love carrack's style but if the Swedes take over I can see maybe a deal around young D for young F
Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

laugh
Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The preseason doesn't matter, however, i have noticed the Islanders have played good ...
Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
The preseason doesn't matter, however, i have noticed the Islanders have played good ...

Yep. You guys used close to your starting NHL roster beat what was essentially the Devils' AHL roster. Congrats
Sep. 26, 2017 at 3:25 p.m.
Below Market Value

played well.
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 26, 2017 at 4:35 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

I've been saying this since last year lol and Montoya's 2 year extension was the worst repercussion from the expansion draft for MTL. Lindgren is the clear cut #2 goalie
Sep. 27, 2017 at 11:01 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Everyone says the same thing: "The results in the preseason don't matter!"
the preseason for the teams themselves, it's just a long one month warmup / try-outs. Veteran play shouldn't be criticized too harshly and basically everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

However, the preseason does showcase a teams depth as younger players try to push for spots and show how far they've come along into their development.

As a Habs fan this has been a mixed bag of a preseason. Some positive stuff, and some negative stuff. For the negative it's not becasue MTL has 0 wins so far, who cares about that, but that there are plenty of roster spots available and almost no one is stepping up to take those positions. McCarron, Scherbak (MTL first round picks) look terrible in the lineup. De la Rose (MTL 2nd rd pick) has shown no sign of improvement. The positives are those who have stepped up; Hudon and Lehkonen and Mete. Hudon is showing that he can contribute top 6 point production and Lehkonen is turning really nicely into a top 6 forward who is an offensive threat and can be considered one the the best defensive forwards on the team (Marian Hossa style). Mete taking the spot next to Weber can be seen as both good and bad honestly, the fact that a 19year old straight out of the OHL can log solid NHL minutes is a good sign for the Habs, but it also shows that there's really no one else on Defense that can play with Weber, Alzner seems already set to make a pairing with Petry, and after that theres not much else showing any promise.

What do you think your teams preseason so far?

What I do know is the Habs are garbage and will finish in the bottom 10 teams in the league
Sep. 27, 2017 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
The major takeaway I keep coming back to after everytime seeing them play together....Marchand/Bergeron/Bjork may end up being the best line in hockey this year.

As a whole though, Boston's pre-season has been a great one. We've seen a lot of our young talent step up and make big plays so far. Definitely nice to see the youngsters pushing the vets to work/play harder and not take a shift off. I know I keep saying this, but Boston is going to surprise people this year. Do I think we'll be a Cup contender? probably not as Pitt is still the bench mark of the East. I will say though that I can see Boston making the playoffs and winning a series or two.

The biggest question mark for Boston is who will be the back-up. Subban played a fantastic game last night and Dobby has looked good pre-season too. If we can get some better back-up goaltending and give Rask a little more rest, we'll be in for a solid year.

Agreed. It's an exciting time with all the prospects especially when EVERYONE is calling for Bruins to be in the bottom 12 teams in the league.

They will finish above the wildcard spots, either 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.
Sep. 27, 2017 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: palhal

Honestly if thats the case I could say Carrick out the Door. for any decent piece in return. Call up maybe Dermott for #7 or maybe keep marincin,. I love carrack's style but if the Swedes take over I can see maybe a deal around young D for young F

Oh God, never trust the Swedes.......look at what captain Mats did for you!!!! 0!!
Sep. 27, 2017 at 11:07 a.m.

.....have played "well"
Sep. 27, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: PaulDunnill

Oh God, never trust the Swedes.......look at what captain Mats did for you!!!! 0!!

Yeah all Swedes are terrible because Mats Sundin couldn't single-handedly carry Toronto to a Stanley Cup.
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 27, 2017 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill

Yeah all Swedes are terrible because Mats Sundin couldn't single-handedly carry Toronto to a Stanley Cup.

Well as far as D goes, I want physical players, Swedes generally don't bring that part of the game.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll