SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Rangers

What was Jeff Gorton thinking?

What did Jeff Gorton think when he bought out Dan Girardi?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Option 1: 'I wish we didn't have to do this, but with the expansion draft coming up, and with his big contract, i think it's time we have to buy him out.'
Option 2: 'LET'S GET RID OF HIM!! HE STINKS AT HOCKEY!!! YAY!!!! HE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

I'll go with option 1. It must have been a hard decision to make.
Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
"He sucks and makes a LOT of money to have a negative effect on our team. Adios"
Sep. 30, 2017 at 9:46 a.m.
I'm a Skatman
here's exactly what he was thinking:
"SCREW YOU GLEN SATHER YOU SON OF A GUN WHY HELL DO YOU KEEP GIVING UP THESE DUMB BUTT CRAP CONTRACTS NOW I HAVE TO CLEAN UP YOUR MESS KKTHXBYE IMA FIX YOUR **** WATCH THIS"
Sep. 30, 2017 at 2:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Not to be mean but you guys are kidding, right?
Sep. 30, 2017 at 2:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
"I would like to thank Dan for everything he has given of himself to the Rangers over 11 seasons," Gorton said. "He has been one of the key contributors to our success over the past decade. We have the utmost respect for Dan and wish him all the best going forward."
I found this.
Sep. 30, 2017 at 4:37 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

not to be mean but you know nothing about the Rangers, Dan Girardi, evaluating hockey players or anything else this site is about
I'm fed up. hope you're trolling. I'm out
Sep. 30, 2017 at 4:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama

not to be mean but you know nothing about the Rangers, Dan Girardi, evaluating hockey players or anything else this site is about
I'm fed up. hope you're trolling. I'm out

not to be mean but you know nothing about how good you have to be to play as many playoff games as Girardi has played.
Bitemoi liked this.
Sep. 30, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Edited Oct. 2, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. by Banks

not to be mean but you know nothing about how good you have to be to play as many playoff games as Girardi has played.

for ****s sake
Sep. 30, 2017 at 8:39 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
"I would like to thank Dan for everything he has given of himself to the Rangers over 11 seasons," Gorton said. "He has been one of the key contributors to our success over the past decade. We have the utmost respect for Dan and wish him all the best going forward."
I found this.

Of course he is going to say this in public. Do you think he's going to say that Girardi sucks in public? Of course not.

Dan Girardi's play has declined with age, just like every other player to ever play this game. A handful of years ago, Girardi was a successful player in the NHL. He was an excellent shutdown defenseman with a little bit of offensive upside to his game (albeit not a lot). Now, he does very little that has a positive impact on the team. Whether you want to use advanced statistics or just the eye test, if you paid any sort of attention to the Rangers.
Oct. 1, 2017 at 1:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
I found this.

Of course he is going to say this in public. Do you think he's going to say that Girardi sucks in public? Of course not.

Dan Girardi's play has declined with age, just like every other player to ever play this game. A handful of years ago, Girardi was a successful player in the NHL. He was an excellent shutdown defenseman with a little bit of offensive upside to his game (albeit not a lot). Now, he does very little that has a positive impact on the team. Whether you want to use advanced statistics or just the eye test, if you paid any sort of attention to the Rangers.

Let me give you 1 tip for if you want to be an NHL GM: Step 1 - understand that NHL players are all good players, especially if they've played that much playoffs.
Bitemoi liked this.
Oct. 1, 2017 at 2:23 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Let me give you 1 tip for if you want to be an NHL GM: Step 1 - understand that NHL players are all good players, especially if they've played that much playoffs.

Of all the people on this site, you're going to be the one that gives me advice on how to be an NHL GM? Stop.

Experience is valuable, yes. But he has a negative effect on his team on the ice. How many playoff games a player has played doesn't make them good. It makes them experienced. Dan Girardi is obviously a fantastic player compared to everyone in the world. But compared to other NHLers, he's not good. Any reasonable person will admit to this. Stop saying that he's good, and stop getting so defensive when you're proven wrong
Oct. 1, 2017 at 5:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
That's a real bad tip you gave rangersandislesfan. So Denis Potvin IS a good hockey players because he played so much in the playoffs. No, I wouldn't want Potvin on my NHL team now. Same with Girardi.
Oct. 1, 2017 at 8:54 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Of all the people on this site, you're going to be the one that gives me advice on how to be an NHL GM? Stop.

Experience is valuable, yes. But he has a negative effect on his team on the ice. How many playoff games a player has played doesn't make them good. It makes them experienced. Dan Girardi is obviously a fantastic player compared to everyone in the world. But compared to other NHLers, he's not good. Any reasonable person will admit to this. Stop saying that he's good, and stop getting so defensive when you're proven wrong

i'm saying that he wouldn't have played so much playoffs if he's so bad.
Oct. 1, 2017 at 8:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: palhal
That's a real bad tip you gave rangersandislesfan. So Denis Potvin IS a good hockey players because he played so much in the playoffs. No, I wouldn't want Potvin on my NHL team now. Same with Girardi.

he got almost a point a game as a d-man ... also a 1st overall pick.
If you're saying you wouldn't want him on your team now that makes sense, i'll say the same thing with Girardi in 30 years.
Oct. 1, 2017 at 9:24 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
if Girardi had played 58 LESS playoff games, the Rangers might have won:
-the cup in 2014
-against Tampa in 2015
-against Ottawa in 2017 (even though that was mainly Staal and Holden)

how is that take for you?
Oct. 2, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
-the cup in 2014
-against Tampa in 2015

laugh
not trying to be mean but i have to post a laughing emoji ...
Oct. 2, 2017 at 6:12 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
-the cup in 2014
-against Tampa in 2015

laugh

stop that "not trying to be mean"-crap. you are in no position to patronize anyones takes. you may have noticed that your opinion on Girardi is rather unique, so you should try making an argument for your case.
Oct. 2, 2017 at 7:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

laugh

stop that "not trying to be mean"-crap. you are in no position to patronize anyones takes. you may have noticed that your opinion on Girardi is rather unique, so you should try making an argument for your case.

i'll just tell you this: all-star, 230 career points as a D, 122 playoff games ... and this is all in the NHL ... pretty good for a guy who's 'trash'.
Oct. 2, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

i'll just tell you this: all-star, 230 career points as a D, 122 playoff games ... and this is all in the NHL ... pretty good for a guy who's 'trash'.

neither of those is a measurement to his quality as a player.
he WAS a decent defenseman a few years ago. he has been absolute garbage dragging his whole team down since 2014. if you think the number of games played is a good indicator for a players quality and you're adamant not to drop that sentiment I don't know what to tell you.
-all star game: not actually an achievement
-230 points: he never was an offensive playe. through 11 years, that's actually not a whole lot. he's 56th by points among Dmen in that timespan, and he's 13th in games played. his 0.29 P/GP put him on rank 151 among players with more than 100 games, on par with Ron Hainsey, Zack Redmond, Eric Gelinas and Jeff Finger and right behind Kris Russell and Michael Stone. Girardi was never known for his offensive prowess; he was a stay at home, shutdown defenseman. do you know what did didn't do in the past 4 years? shut down the opponent. he's slow, he can't pass, he can't cover his man, he can't even hit well (because of his poor skating and positioning), he's often off position and makes wrong decisions in crucial moments (going down on the ice on every odd man rush, leading to a a lot of high danger scoring chances on the rush) and his inability to make an outlet pass leads to him icing the puck and the team getting pinned in their own zone. he dragged down his team whenever he was on the ice. if you want to debate all this with the fact that a really stubborn coach (who loves to play grizzled veterans that do nothing but "block shots", which is an antiquated and ineffective way of defending in todays NHL) refused to bench him and used him for years in a position Girardi simply wasn't fit to play anymore, there really is no helping you. if Girardi had left the team in free agency after his previous contract ran out, he probably would have become an all time fan favorite. this way, he stunted the whole team for years.

if this is all you have to tell, that's really sad and you should really overthink your take on this.
Oct. 2, 2017 at 8:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

neither of those is a measurement to his quality as a player.
he WAS a decent defenseman a few years ago. he has been absolute garbage dragging his whole team down since 2014. if you think the number of games played is a good indicator for a players quality and you're adamant not to drop that sentiment I don't know what to tell you.
-all star game: not actually an achievement
-230 points: he never was an offensive playe. through 11 years, that's actually not a whole lot. he's 56th by points among Dmen in that timespan, and he's 13th in games played. his 0.29 P/GP put him on rank 151 among players with more than 100 games, on par with Ron Hainsey, Zack Redmond, Eric Gelinas and Jeff Finger and right behind Kris Russell and Michael Stone. Girardi was never known for his offensive prowess; he was a stay at home, shutdown defenseman. do you know what did didn't do in the past 4 years? shut down the opponent. he's slow, he can't pass, he can't cover his man, he can't even hit well (because of his poor skating and positioning), he's often off position and makes wrong decisions in crucial moments (going down on the ice on every odd man rush, leading to a a lot of high danger scoring chances on the rush) and his inability to make an outlet pass leads to him icing the puck and the team getting pinned in their own zone. he dragged down his team whenever he was on the ice. if you want to debate all this with the fact that a really stubborn coach (who loves to play grizzled veterans that do nothing but "block shots", which is an antiquated and ineffective way of defending in todays NHL) refused to bench him and used him for years in a position Girardi simply wasn't fit to play anymore, there really is no helping you. if Girardi had left the team in free agency after his previous contract ran out, he probably would have become an all time fan favorite. this way, he stunted the whole team for years.

if this is all you have to tell, that's really sad and you should really overthink your take on this.

sure, i'll just agree that Girardi, MacDonald, and all these other lower line players are 'trash'. unsure
Oct. 2, 2017 at 10:42 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

sure, i'll just agree that Girardi, MacDonald, and all these other lower line players are 'trash'. unsure

i hate you with every fiber of my being.

I'm also 98% sure you don't even watch hockey
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Oct. 2, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
rangersandisles fan -- I'm not sure what you don't understand. The amount of games that someone plays means nothing when evaluating talent. Especially on a team like the Rangers that have been up against the cap for some time. Is Dustin Brown still a good player because of the amount of playoff hockey he played? Is Jack Eichel a bad player because he hasn't played a playoff game? You can't base your argument off of that. The last time Girardi was an all-star was 2012. He was an excellent player then. But the game has become much faster since then, and he's no longer the effective player he once was. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. If he was still an effective player, they wouldn't have bought him out. They traded Stepan, so salary cap space really wasn't an issue. It's very cut and dry.
Oct. 3, 2017 at 4:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
rangersandisles fan -- I'm not sure what you don't understand. The amount of games that someone plays means nothing when evaluating talent. Especially on a team like the Rangers that have been up against the cap for some time. Is Dustin Brown still a good player because of the amount of playoff hockey he played? Is Jack Eichel a bad player because he hasn't played a playoff game? You can't base your argument off of that. The last time Girardi was an all-star was 2012. He was an excellent player then. But the game has become much faster since then, and he's no longer the effective player he once was. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. If he was still an effective player, they wouldn't have bought him out. They traded Stepan, so salary cap space really wasn't an issue. It's very cut and dry.

I'm saying that if he's as bad as you think he wouldn't be in the NHL as well as he wouldn't have been put in the lineup for all the playoff games ... they'd be scratching him if he's actually as bad as you think.
Oct. 3, 2017 at 4:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

why? because i know that he doesn't just skate around and keep losing the puck and act like play's stopped the whole time?
Oct. 3, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

I'm saying that if he's as bad as you think he wouldn't be in the NHL as well as he wouldn't have been put in the lineup for all the playoff games ... they'd be scratching him if he's actually as bad as you think.

why? because i know that he doesn't just skate around and keep losing the puck and act like play's stopped the whole time?

I'm done

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit