SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How good is Marc Edouard Vlasic?

Oct. 10, 2017 at 3:54 p.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
How good do you think Marc Edouard Vlasic is and why?
Oct. 10, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.
Quoting: Zach
How good do you think Marc Edouard Vlasic is and why?

Solid defensive dman. Not quite a two way guy though IMO.

I think he's been lucky to have been able to play with Burns and the SJ Sharks during a time when they were at their best as to bring up his value. Swap him with OEL in Arizona for example and you'd see a large contrast of calibre of dmen. Vlasic's accolades have come moreso from his teammates then his ability alone. He had no business being on team Canada (Just like Bouwmeester) but due to his strong chemistry with Burns as was BO's with Pietrangelo, they were given an extra bump over guys who were clearly better players.

I'd take him on my team any day although his new contract pretty much negates the positive value he did have. 7M for a defensive dman is 2000's type thinking. The game has changed. Defensive dmen are on the way out. Two way dman have taken their place. Can't just be good defending and letting your partner do all the offense. You need to also. Vlasic, especially for the amount he'll be making next year, is not worth it.

P.S. this was totally a pitch @ Raif in V2. laugh
Oct. 10, 2017 at 4:34 p.m.
Below Market Value
Edited Oct. 10, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco

I think he's been lucky to have been able to play with Burns and the SJ Sharks during a time when they were at their best as to bring up his value. Swap him with OEL in Arizona for example and you'd see a large contrast of calibre of dmen. Vlasic's accolades have come moreso from his teammates then his ability alone. He had no business being on team Canada (Just like Bouwmeester) but due to his strong chemistry with Burns as was BO's with Pietrangelo, they were given an extra bump over guys who were clearly better players.

I'd take him on my team any day although his new contract pretty much negates the positive value he did have. 7M for a defensive dman is 2000's type thinking. The game has changed. Defensive dmen are on the way out. Two way dman have taken their place. Can't just be good defending and letting your partner do all the offense. You need to also. Vlasic, especially for the amount he'll be making next year, is not worth it.

Vlasic is one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL. He absolutely had business being on Team Canada and was one of their best shutdown defenseman. He didn't get chosen because of his chemistry with Burns because he doesn't even play with Brent Burns. he plays with Justin Braun, while Burns plays with Paul Martin. I don't think he warranted the contract he just got, but to say that he is essentially a product of the players around him is ridiculous.
Pasta88Sauce, Barathrum_Obama, Mr_cap and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 10, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Quoting: F50marco

Vlasic is one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL. He absolutely had business being on Team Canada and was their best shutdown defenseman. He didn't get chosen because of his chemistry with Burns because he doesn't even play with Brent Burns. he plays with Justin Braun, while Burns plays with Paul Martin. I don't think he warranted the contract he just got, but to say that he is essentially a product of the players around him is ridiculous.

sarcasm Shhhh I'm trying to close a deal here! laugh

Regardless though even if he wasn't playing with Burns (which i thought he was), you made my point when saying "I don't think he warranted the contract he just got" . If he is as good as your proclaiming him to be, 7M would of been a good contract for him. Alas, not one person will say that is a good contract for a over 30, defensive dman. Dmen nowadays need to produce and he doesn't do nearly enough to warrant being a top calibre dman IMO. Very solid player though. Not trying to discredit him. I do like him.

But swap him with any star dman in the league and does he bring more or less value to his team then that player?........Always less. In fact looking where the league is now and where its is heading, i'd take anyone of those players over Vlasic any day of the week.

As for his team Canada selection, since they've been a powerhouse its virtually impossible to debate against it. All I can say is had he been playing with Carolina all these years, what do you think the over/under he's even selected in the top 7 selections for the team? You know where my money would be.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 12:15 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
He's great but he's not the best D-man in the league like some think he is.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 12:16 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

yeah...nobody thinks that
mhockey91, Daryl, PrincessChloe and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 12:41 a.m.
NBABound
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

This comment seems very familiar....
Oct. 11, 2017 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap

This comment seems very familiar....

people seem to say that a lot to raif. I wonder why
nobody liked this.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 11:18 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

well a few people on this site have said that.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 11:33 a.m.
Below Market Value

He's ONE OF the best DEFENSIVE defensemen in the league, if that's what you're referring to.
Pasta88Sauce, awatt and nobody liked this.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Name 1 person that has said Vlasic is the best defenseman in the league
Oct. 11, 2017 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

MatthewsMarnerNylander laugh
Oct. 11, 2017 at 3:41 p.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Quoting: krakowitz

MatthewsMarnerNylander laugh

Who.........??
Oct. 11, 2017 at 3:47 p.m.

I swear RAIF believes in these imaginary friends on the site, that feed him nonesense like "Doughty's the best defenceman in the league", "Islanders are a top 5 team", "San Jose works well together", and "Erik Karlsson isn't good"
DavidBoothReturns liked this.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 11:43 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

I swear RAIF believes in these imaginary friends on the site, that feed him nonesense like "Doughty's the best defenceman in the league", "Islanders are a top 5 team", "San Jose works well together", and "Erik Karlsson isn't good"

seriously:

a) What's so strange about that?
b) I never said that
c) um ...
d) He's one of the best players in the NHL, he's won 2 norris trophies, and has been up for it the last 3 years ... of course i think he's good.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.
Below Market Value

seriously:

a) What's so strange about that?
b) I never said that
c) um ...
d) He's one of the best players in the NHL, he's won 2 norris trophies, and has been up for it the last 3 years ... of course i think he's good.

You said it, not us.
nobody liked this.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 12:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Vlasic is so lucky. Would any other team have offered him nearly so much 7m X 8 years. The contract ends when he's 40. Can't imagine what the Sharks management team was thinking. Would anybody else offered even 6m X 5 years. Sorta reminds me of the Clarkson deal....naw, nothing could be that bad.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Vlasic is so lucky. Would any other team have offered him nearly so much 7m X 8 years. The contract ends when he's 40. Can't imagine what the Sharks management team was thinking. Would anybody else offered even 6m X 5 years. Sorta reminds me of the Clarkson deal....naw, nothing could be that bad.

Agreed. Great dman but not nearly a superstar and having a great team around him has absolutely bumped up his apparent value.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 7:34 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

If he had gone to free agency I wouldn't have been surprised for him to get 7+ million over 7 years. He's definitely better than Shattenkirk who took a fair sized hometown discount in New York.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 8:03 p.m.
Quoting: TonyStrecher

If he had gone to free agency I wouldn't have been surprised for him to get 7+ million over 7 years. He's definitely better than Shattenkirk who took a fair sized hometown discount in New York.

That shouldn't be the measure though. Every player that goes to free agency is over paid. That is the whole point of free agency. Simply going on player salary averages and key points certain players were signed for, Vlasic at 7M is silly. Its the same type of silly Phaneuf/Seabrook got with their contracts. No business being a ~7M player. The other guys at that range are all Norris calibre dmen. They are not.
Oct. 13, 2017 at 10:30 a.m.
The trying to be good David Booth didn't last long.....bullying in the schoolyard isn't cool..... I foresee another Booth suspension
Oct. 13, 2017 at 12:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Shattenkirk signed a four year contract that will end when he is 32 years of age. Hard to believe that in today's NHL Vlasic will hold anywhere near his $$$ value at age 40.
Can you really think of one team that would have offered near that contract as a UFA?
It a similar way, I keep on reading that Tavares will sign for 11m next season. Maybe so, but there are limited number of teams that 1. Have the cap room. 2. Tavares would prefer to sign for. So even the Tavares UFA market isn't 31 teams. And the Vlasic on the open market for a 7 contract would be ZERO interest IMO.
Oct. 13, 2017 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill
The trying to be good David Booth didn't last long.....bullying in the schoolyard isn't cool..... I foresee another Booth suspension

Yea good for you, go home Paul, your drunk like always
DoctorBreakfast, DavidBoothReturns, CleanDangles and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 13, 2017 at 12:41 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Shattenkirk signed a four year contract that will end when he is 32 years of age. Hard to believe that in today's NHL Vlasic will hold anywhere near his $$$ value at age 40.
Can you really think of one team that would have offered near that contract as a UFA?
It a similar way, I keep on reading that Tavares will sign for 11m next season. Maybe so, but there are limited number of teams that 1. Have the cap room. 2. Tavares would prefer to sign for. So even the Tavares UFA market isn't 31 teams. And the Vlasic on the open market for a 7 contract would be ZERO interest IMO.

Tavares only makes 11 if he hits the open market. The Islanders could get him for cheaper
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Oct. 15, 2017 at 7:24 a.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill

Yea good for you, go home Paul, your drunk like always

There you go again.....trying to start a fight......that you will always lose, physically and verbally.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll