Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Habs inability to develop high end talent

Should the Habs trade Galchenyuk?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 11, 2017 at 6:37 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Oct. 11, 2017 at 7:53 p.m.
Alex Galchenyuk is back on the 4th line at practice...AGAIN! While Chuky isn't helping his case, this is really highlighting how badly Habs management has been developing their high end prospects over the years.

Let's just go over MTL 1st round draft picks since 2009:

2009 - 18th overall, Louis Leblanc (Currently playing in the Swiss-A League)
2010 - 22nd overall, Jarred Tinordi (in the AHL for the Pittsbugh Penguins organization)
2011 - 17th overall, Nathan Beaulieu (Traded for a 3rd round pick to Buffalo)
2012 - 3rd overall, Alex Galchenyuk (Currently on Habs 4th line...)
2013 - 25th overall, Micheal McCarron (Currently in AHL Montreal affiliate, Laval Rockets)
2014 - 26th overall, Nikita Scherbak (Currently in AHL Montreal affiliate, Laval Rockets)
2015 - 26th overall, Noah Juulsen (Currently Injured, in AHL Montreal affiliate, Laval Rockets)
2016 - 9th overall, Mikhail Sergachev (Traded to Tampa Bay for J.Drouin)
2017 - 25th overall, Ryan Poehling (Currently in NCAA for St-Cloud State)

I think it's a bit early to pass any judgment on Juulsen and Poehling, and it's too early to tell how the Drouin-Sergachev deal is going.
But from 2009-2014 Mtl has essentially, for all intents and purposes, wasted it's 1st round picks. Someone needs to be held accountable, whether it's drafting or development issues, there has always been one specific person with their fingers with both. Trevor Timmins. and last year Marc Bergevin gave him a raise and a new contract along with his new title of assistant GM...

Now I don't want to completely bash Timmins, he does have a skill at finding hidden gems in the draft (Gallahger 147th overall, Hudon 122nd overall, Subban 43rd ovrerall, Mete 100th overall, and a few more). If he is not to blame for this mess than who is?

Going back to Galchenyuk, If Claude Julien wants to keep wasting him on the 4th line, just trade him. It will be better for him and the Habs. and letting him rot on the 4th line will only hurt his value more.

Here is a few ideas of trades I think could work:

Detroit: Chucky for Athanasiou + M.Green (Detroit save $1.1mil in cap and get the best player of the 3, MTL gets skilled center and offensive dmen to help out Weber an Mete (Cuz Petry has been terrible) and there isn't a big commitment to Green's salary ($6mil) since he's a UFA next year.

Vegas: Chucky for S.Theodore + J.Marchessault (Vegas gets the best of the 3 players and are in need for high end talent in their roster that they can keep developing, MTL gets a young NHL ready Dman that can play the left side, and a center/winger who can pitch in offensively and whose currently struggling in Vegas)
Oct. 11, 2017 at 7:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Theodore hasn't struggled in Vegas. Here's demotion eligible cause Vegas has too many Dmen on their roster. Heck Vegas has done the same with 4.5m Shipanov .

Agree with the Habs have had been luck or poor development of many of their 1st picks.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 7:48 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: palhal
Theodore hasn't struggled in Vegas. Here's demotion eligible cause Vegas has too many Dmen on their roster. Heck Vegas has done the same with 4.5m Shipanov .

Agree with the Habs have had been luck or poor development of many of their 1st picks.

The struggle comment was towards Marchessault, not Theodore. Both Theodore and Shipachyov deserve to be in the lineup and Vegas really screwed themsleves by selecting too many Dmen at the expansion draft.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:04 p.m.
LMAO how can they justify keeping in the NHL Sbisa for "value" and send down Theodore?
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.
I am pretty sure that GMGM said he wanted to keep their young defenders like Theodore, Schmidt, and Miller. I touched on their drafting when the discussion of who the best at drafting came up and Montreal for the life of them can not develop players. The line blender came out in practice I found on Twitter is:
Pacioretty-Drouin-Lehkonen
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Shaw
Galch-Mitchell-Hemsky

The players in bold were drafted by the Habs. They were developed in the fallowing ways:
Galch- from junior straight to the Habs main roster.
Hudon was on St. Johns.
Gally-From junior to Hamilton to Habs
Patchs-NCAA to Canadians systems (bouncing back and forth for a while)
Plekanec- A lot of it was in the Czech league and two years in Hamilton before joining Habs.
Lehkonen-developed in the SHL and Liiga
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:14 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Blazingbat11

The struggle comment was towards Marchessault, not Theodore. Both Theodore and Shipachyov deserve to be in the lineup and Vegas really screwed themsleves by selecting too many Dmen at the expansion draft.

So not scoring a goal in three games is struggling?

The way that Montreal has used their top prospects has been nothing short of horrendous. Galchenyuk had all the promise in the world before Montreal couldn't decide on a position and now are just hurting his development even more. Beaulieu was supposed to be the future of their defense before he was mismanaged. I have no idea why Scherbak is still in the minors. Juulsen looks to become a solid top four defenseman soon, this Sergachev trade was god awful, but I think Poehling can become a good #2 center
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:46 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: ChiaPetty
I am pretty sure that GMGM said he wanted to keep their young defenders like Theodore, Schmidt, and Miller. I touched on their drafting when the discussion of who the best at drafting came up and Montreal for the life of them can not develop players. The line blender came out in practice I found on Twitter is:
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Shaw
Galch-Mitchell-Hemsky

The players in bold were drafted by the Habs. They were developed in the fallowing ways:
Hudon was on St. Johns.
Plekanec- A lot of it was in the Czech league and two years in Hamilton before joining Habs.

I excluded Patches and Pleky because they were already Veteran players for the team when the Bergevin management came in. Every other player mentioned you can make a case that the Bergevin crew had some sort of influence on them.

So let's analyse the current Habs players that were developed in their system. I think we can remove Lehkonen from this since he made the decision (a smart one imo) to develop in the SHL. So now we are down to Gallahger, Hudon, and Galchenyuk. Hudon has spent 3 years now in the AHL, but hasn't made any impact in the NHL yet, so the jury is still out on him. Galchenyuk, for where he was drafted, if things don't improve, he will be considered a bust. So that leaves Gallahger,he has gone through the system and has done well and made a name for himself.

So there you have it, since 2009 only 1 player has been able to go through the Habs system and make a positive impact for the team right now...well done Habs managment...well done.

Side note, going further back of 2009 , 2008 there are ZERO players that even played 1 NHL game...wow....2007 was a great draft year for MTL! it a shame they traded 2 of the big 3 they drafted (McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban)... 2006 they drafted David Fischer 20th overall...He had an amazing career of ZERO games played in the NHL...seriously i'm not making this up.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:48 p.m.
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Shaw
Galch-Mitchell-Hemsky

Hudon was on St. Johns.

I excluded Patches and Pleky because they were already Veteran players for the team when the Bergevin management came in. Every other player mentioned you can make a case that the Bergevin crew had some sort of influence on them.

So let's analyse the current Habs players that were developed in their system. I think we can remove Lehkonen from this since he made the decision (a smart one imo) to develop in the SHL. So now we are down to Gallahger, Hudon, and Galchenyuk. Hudon has spent 3 years now in the AHL, but hasn't made any impact in the NHL yet, so the jury is still out on him. Galchenyuk, for where he was drafted, if things don't improve, he will be considered a bust. So that leaves Gallahger,he has gone through the system and has done well and made a name for himself.

So there you have it, since 2009 only 1 player has been able to go through the Habs system and make a positive impact for the team right now...well done Habs managment...well done.

Side note, going further back of 2009 , 2008 there are ZERO players that even played 1 NHL game...wow....2007 was a great draft year for MTL! it a shame they traded 2 of the big 3 they drafted (McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban)... 2006 they drafted David Fischer 20th overall...He had an amazing career of ZERO games played in the NHL...seriously i'm not making this up.

McDonagh is the same as Subban? Thought he was at least 30..
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:52 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: krakowitz

The way that Montreal has used their top prospects has been nothing short of horrendous. Galchenyuk had all the promise in the world before Montreal couldn't decide on a position and now are just hurting his development even more. Beaulieu was supposed to be the future of their defense before he was mismanaged. I have no idea why Scherbak is still in the minors. Juulsen looks to become a solid top four defenseman soon, this Sergachev trade was god awful, but I think Poehling can become a good #2 center

I watched Vegas's first game and their home opener, Marchessault was one of the few players not playing well, taking unnecessary penalties. He started at center, did well on faceoffs, aside from that not much else. he has since been moved to the wing with Eakin and Lindberg taking the 1-2 C spots. It's only 3 games, but I would still use the term struggling.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 8:56 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: boltscharge17

McDonagh is the same as Subban? Thought he was at least 30..

McDonagh, Subban, and Pacioretty are all 28.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 9:18 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

I watched Vegas's first game and their home opener, Marchessault was one of the few players not playing well, taking unnecessary penalties. He started at center, did well on faceoffs, aside from that not much else. he has since been moved to the wing with Eakin and Lindberg taking the 1-2 C spots. It's only 3 games, but I would still use the term struggling.

Maybe you can use that after 6 or 7 games, but 3 is way too small a sample size. Can we say that Evgeny Kuznetsov is going to win the Art Ross because he leads the league after 3 games? That Colorado will make the playoffs? That Jesper Bratt wins the Calder?
Oct. 11, 2017 at 9:22 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

Maybe you can use that after 6 or 7 games, but 3 is way too small a sample size. Can we say that Evgeny Kuznetsov is going to win the Art Ross because he leads the league after 3 games? That Colorado will make the playoffs? That Jesper Bratt wins the Calder?

this coming from the guy saying it's time to panic in MTL after 3 games smile

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/94423&pid=292638
Oct. 11, 2017 at 9:33 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

this coming from the guy saying it's time to panic in MTL after 3 games smile

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/94423&pid=292638

There's a lot more involved in me saying that. The way that the team is built in Montreal in all areas is in trouble. Price is still one of the best goalies in the world, but that's basically where the good news ends. They have no high end players in the prospect pool, they have an extremely slow defense core, they have an extremely long Weber contract (that loophole with him retiring is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard BTW), they mismanage their young talent so poorly that they've ruined multiple careers. They've traded t a future top pairing defenseman for a winger that they want to be their #1 centerman. It's a wreck. Not to mention, they can't score enough to contend with teams like Toronto, Tampa, etc. and they can't defend well enough to stop any of those teams. It's not like this is something nobody saw coming either. Pretty much everyone except for Habs fans thought this would happen.

My saying that is based off of the state of the organization, not what I've seen from them through three games.
Oct. 11, 2017 at 10:14 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

There's a lot more involved in me saying that. The way that the team is built in Montreal in all areas is in trouble. Price is still one of the best goalies in the world, but that's basically where the good news ends. They have no high end players in the prospect pool, they have an extremely slow defense core, they have an extremely long Weber contract (that loophole with him retiring is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard BTW), they mismanage their young talent so poorly that they've ruined multiple careers. They've traded t a future top pairing defenseman for a winger that they want to be their #1 centerman. It's a wreck. Not to mention, they can't score enough to contend with teams like Toronto, Tampa, etc. and they can't defend well enough to stop any of those teams. It's not like this is something nobody saw coming either. Pretty much everyone except for Habs fans thought this would happen.

My saying that is based off of the state of the organization, not what I've seen from them through three games.

I agree with most of what you wrote, the defense aside from Weber and Mete has really looked horrible. Other than Benn, speed hasn't been the issue though, it's not being able to complete the first pass the big problem. Alzner has had trouble adjusting to a new system, being paired up with Petry (who has been the worst player on the entire Habs roster) isn't helping him either, and Davidson, Morrow, and Streit have been making bad mistake (who attempts a cross ice pass in the neutral zone? seriously...)

The Weber contract will definitely hurt the Habs in the long run (thank god for that retirement loophole lol), but imo that's still 2-3 years away.

As for Drouin, he's actually done quite well, you can see (and he stated in an interview in french) that he's been focusing on his defensive game to be a well rounded center, and he doesn't look out of place. Everyone somehow expected that he'd either flop or get out of the gate on fire. The learning curve to go from winger to center is really big. Since the beginning of preseason, he's looked good, it's just going to take time.

As for the offence, the reason i'm not panicking is that MTL is 5th in the league in shots on goal so far, but they are dead last (31st) in shooting percentage, 2% lol Every teams averages in between 10% to 15%, so while i'm an advocate that MTL needs the acquire more scoring, they are definitely not as bad as they looked in the first 3 games.

So right now Defense after the 1st paring is a MAJOR concern, but everything else is fine. a 1-2 record shouldn't be a "holy sh!!!t panic moment" smile
Oct. 11, 2017 at 11:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

I agree with most of what you wrote, the defense aside from Weber and Mete has really looked horrible. Other than Benn, speed hasn't been the issue though, it's not being able to complete the first pass the big problem. Alzner has had trouble adjusting to a new system, being paired up with Petry (who has been the worst player on the entire Habs roster) isn't helping him either, and Davidson, Morrow, and Streit have been making bad mistake (who attempts a cross ice pass in the neutral zone? seriously...)

The Weber contract will definitely hurt the Habs in the long run (thank god for that retirement loophole lol), but imo that's still 2-3 years away.

As for Drouin, he's actually done quite well, you can see (and he stated in an interview in french) that he's been focusing on his defensive game to be a well rounded center, and he doesn't look out of place. Everyone somehow expected that he'd either flop or get out of the gate on fire. The learning curve to go from winger to center is really big. Since the beginning of preseason, he's looked good, it's just going to take time.

As for the offence, the reason i'm not panicking is that MTL is 5th in the league in shots on goal so far, but they are dead last (31st) in shooting percentage, 2% lol Every teams averages in between 10% to 15%, so while i'm an advocate that MTL needs the acquire more scoring, they are definitely not as bad as they looked in the first 3 games.

So right now Defense after the 1st paring is a MAJOR concern, but everything else is fine. a 1-2 record shouldn't be a "holy sh!!!t panic moment" smile

What is the long term plan for this team? There seems to be a lot of mediocrity in the future, with the only strong suit being the goaltending. The fact of the matter is, this team is not in a position to retool on the fly. In order to do that, you need some sort of prospect depth. Montreal really doesn't have that. They have a couple guys that can step in and be effective soon, but nothing that they can build around.

As everybody knows, champions are built down the middle. If you want Drouin to be your #2 center, that's fine. But you can't try and turn a winger into your #1 center and expect to contend for a Cup. They need to get a #1 centerman somehow, period. As long as they don't get John Tavares, I'm not sure how there's a lot of hope for the future here. The fastest route to championship contention is through building up the farm system again while they still have some young talent.
Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:53 a.m.
Molson beer is meh

What is the long term plan for this team? There seems to be a lot of mediocrity in the future, with the only strong suit being the goaltending. The fact of the matter is, this team is not in a position to retool on the fly. In order to do that, you need some sort of prospect depth. Montreal really doesn't have that. They have a couple guys that can step in and be effective soon, but nothing that they can build around.

As everybody knows, champions are built down the middle. If you want Drouin to be your #2 center, that's fine. But you can't try and turn a winger into your #1 center and expect to contend for a Cup. They need to get a #1 centerman somehow, period. As long as they don't get John Tavares, I'm not sure how there's a lot of hope for the future here. The fastest route to championship contention is through building up the farm system again while they still have some young talent.

Whats the long term plan for teams like NYR? SJ? LAK? what do those teams have in common with the Habs? these are teams that have been actively competing in the playoffs for the past 7-8 years that were always lacking at a certain position (MTL at Center, SJ back then was goaltending, NYR was defense, LAK goal scoring/ wingers). aside for a few bad seasons (MTL when Price got hurt, NYR missed in 2010, SJ missed in 2015, LAK missed in 2015 and 2017) these teams have been atop the season standings with 100+ for many seasons (MTL 110pts 2014-15, NYR 113pts 2014-15, SJ 111pts 2013-14). none of these teams have a deep prospect pool today because of always finishing atop the standings and trading away assets at the trade deadline.

Not every team can suck for years and rack up high end picks and get first overall players like EDM and TOR today (who can now be considered contenders now and for the foreseeable future) or CHI, WSH, or PIT who sucked big time in the late 90s and early 2000s (who have been contenders since drafting Toews, Kane, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Crosby, Malkin).

I agree that champions are built down the middle, and MTL desperately needs a top centermen. I hope Sakic drops his price on Duchene and that the Habs make a play for Tavares. Wishful thinking though, and right now Drouin is better than nothing, AKA plekanec lol
Oct. 13, 2017 at 10:32 a.m.
trade for a bag of pucks
Oct. 13, 2017 at 11:54 p.m.
Marchand for a rat. Can't be too different.
nobody, phillyjabroni, Kotkaniemi15 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 14, 2017 at 10:22 a.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
Marchand for a rat. Can't be too different.

Marchand reminds me of a human condom. Or something like that
Oct. 15, 2017 at 7:36 a.m.
Edited Oct. 17, 2017 at 1:48 p.m. by Jarvis
Marchand has talent. Galchenyuk has nothing
Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:48 a.m.
Below Market Value
Edited Oct. 17, 2017 at 1:48 p.m. by Jarvis
Quoting: PaulDunnill
Marchand has talent. Galchenyuk has nothing

205 points in 341 games. I wish more players had nothing.
nobody and Texus liked this.
Oct. 29, 2017 at 10:40 a.m.
WentWughes
I think saying Montreal has inability to develop top Talent is not true. Players drafted in the late 1st round are not considered top talent. If they were picking top 10 like other teams year after year then id bet it would be different
Oct. 29, 2017 at 10:47 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I think saying Montreal has inability to develop top Talent is not true. Players drafted in the late 1st round are not considered top talent. If they were picking top 10 like other teams year after year then id bet it would be different

The thing with Montreal is they draft in the bottom half of the draft due to them making the playoffs. Chucky is easily one of the better picks of his draft because it was very weak, Sergachev was great pick though we traded him. Habs aren't as bad at drafting as most people think they are.
Oct. 29, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

Quoting: Hockeylover360

The thing with Montreal is they draft in the bottom half of the draft due to them making the playoffs. Chucky is easily one of the better picks of his draft because it was very weak, Sergachev was great pick though we traded him. Habs aren't as bad at drafting as most people think they are.

Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Shaw
Galch-Mitchell-Hemsky

Hudon was on St. Johns.

I think this comment should be sufficient as to why MTL have a hard time developping / drafting
Nov. 14, 2017 at 12:38 a.m.

The problem I saw with the guy who sounds like a type of summersault was he don't shoot when he should. I remember a few key points in East Coast trip vs. Rangers/Islanders in games they blew especially the Rangers up 4-2 going into third... He had a nice shot, where even if the goalie saved it a rebound would give a better chance than a pass... Yet for some reason he was trying to pass the puck too much... A player like him should shoot anytime he has an open shot to generate 30+ goals... Instead he seems to want to setup players more that isn't in his skill set really. I don't think he is a great blue chip player, they did draft too many D-men... Rather they took Kristers to least give a body in net over an expensive bust like Garrison who they buried in minors... Sbisa has more goals/points than Brent Burns so is really tearing it up on defense smile... They had to retain salary to ship Emelin another mistake pick which was dumb too. Taking all these left shooting D-men while passing up a right shot in Wideman on Senators who can chip in least 3-5 goals with a possible upside... Taking Methot who they could have got a decent draft pick not to take in process... Then they ship him after they alienate a team like Senators who they should want good relations with to make trades in the future...

Montreal traded a pretty good player to Tampa on Defense so they should get a few points for that right wink.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit