SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

Projecting Talbot’s Next Contract

Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.
get ur corsi up
I know we still have a ways to go, but with McDavid and Drai signed to massive deals, I’m wondering if Talbot will demand more than Edmonton can afford. Thoughts?
Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
I know we still have a ways to go, but with McDavid and Drai signed to massive deals, I’m wondering if Talbot will demand more than Edmonton can afford. Thoughts?

maybe. but tell me and here this frequently regarding ufas. name teams that can pay significantly more than what the oilers can offer. oilers might offer $ 6m does anyone offer $ 7m which might make worth his while.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 7:23 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: clark

maybe. but tell me and here this frequently regarding ufas. name teams that can pay significantly more than what the oilers can offer. oilers might offer $ 6m does anyone offer $ 7m which might make worth his while.

Most teams already have adequate starters or soon to be starters. A team that comes to my mind as a team that might be interested in Talbot is the Ottawa Senators. Anderson is reaching an age where his play is destine to decline, but I don’t see Ottawa with enough cap space to land Talbot.

Personally, I think Talbot stays in Edmonton with a cap of about 6-7 million. Question is for how many years. At his age I’d sign him to no more than 6.
Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:17 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
my guess would be 5,5-6,5M for 5 years.
Nov. 12, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.

I don't think can win if goalie has cap hit 7M or more like Rinne choked badly in SCF while Henrik found out who the real Kings were making like 8.5M or whatever he has... PRice isn't going to win with his contract, even CBJ didn't seem to do well with their high priced 7M+ or whatever cap hit he has...

So I figure like 5-6M range maybe 36M over 6 years or 7 years 35M... I think he will stay as long as he is the starting goalie without having to look over his shoulder. Maybe 5.5M to 5.8 like Jones/Quick type ranges would be the exact number for what its worth. They can structure the contract in a way where a buyout in the last 2-3 years wont be that much of a cap hit too...
Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: Daoloth
I don't think can win if goalie has cap hit 7M or more like Rinne choked badly in SCF while Henrik found out who the real Kings were making like 8.5M or whatever he has... PRice isn't going to win with his contract, even CBJ didn't seem to do well with their high priced 7M+ or whatever cap hit he has...

So I figure like 5-6M range maybe 36M over 6 years or 7 years 35M... I think he will stay as long as he is the starting goalie without having to look over his shoulder. Maybe 5.5M to 5.8 like Jones/Quick type ranges would be the exact number for what its worth. They can structure the contract in a way where a buyout in the last 2-3 years wont be that much of a cap hit too...

Talbot will be 32 when his current contract expires, he's DEFINITELY not getting 6 or 7 years. And if he puts up the same numbers as last year he won't even get an offer. Everything depends on the results this year.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 5:29 p.m.
Hard to say at this point. Some big "ifs" play a role for sure.

If Talbot has a good year, looking at 5-7 mil for probably 4-6 years.

If Talbot has a so-so year, looking at 4-5 mil for a few years or walking papers if the next point.

If Koskinen steals the show, bye bye Talbot, but how much for Koskinen?

Overall, Oilers aren't looking great between the pipes going forward unless something unlikely happens (Talbot does great and also signs cheap or Koskinen turns out to be good and also sings cheap). Skinner is a ways away it looks like, if ever, and maybe Rodrigue or Hawkey will turn out. But that still doesn't leave much in cap space given their current roster. So does RNH get traded this year for less value than he's worth? Do they trade Lucic with Pulju to get rid of his contract?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll