SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Tavares watch 2017-2018

Nov. 11, 2017 at 2:36 p.m.
Islanders are playing fairly well (not great) and obviously Tavares does not have a contract. He's an elite center without elite talent around him. With the arena situation in question and given the team's lack of consistent success, where does he end up if he doesn't return to NYI?

I have a thought, but want to hear from you guys.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 6:06 p.m.
There's a lot of other threads about this, so for future reference, do a little searching....it doesn't look like the quality of the team makes anywhere close to the difference the presence of a stable arena situation, which is hit or miss, as plenty of other groups are applying....if the Islanders decide to trade him midseason, I expect him to go to Montreal.....if he decides to go to free agency, I think St. Louis is where he signs.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If he doesn't return to the Islanders (I think he will but if he doesn't), there are 3 main teams (in no particular order) i could see him signing with: Montreal, Vancouver, and San Jose.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 6:53 p.m.
get ur corsi up
If I’m John Tavares right now I’d be looking for a way out of New York. He’s in his prime and his window is limited like all players. The Isles will do all they can to keep him but in the end a sign and trade may be the solution. Tavares deserves a good team, a good GM, and a good arena, and NYI can’t give him that.

My top destinations (not listed in order):
Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
St. Louis Blues
Nov. 11, 2017 at 6:57 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
St. Louis is the best fit on both sides. They won’t need to do a ton of cap maneuvering to fit him, they instantly become Cup favorites with him, he can play with some really good young linemates, and the team looks like they’ll be sticking around for a long time as a threat
A_K and tad77 liked this.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DarylthePony
If I’m John Tavares right now I’d be looking for a way out of New York. He’s in his prime and his window is limited like all players. The Isles will do all they can to keep him but in the end a sign and trade may be the solution. Tavares deserves a good team, a good GM, and a good arena, and NYI can’t give him that.

Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
St. Louis Blues

you're saying you wouldn't even consider re-signing?
Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
St. Louis Blues

If I were him, no. This is an opportunity for him to go to a team with legitimate Cup odds, not a team that is in a never ending retool/rebuild. Carolina is a young team on the rise, if Columbus could free up the cap space they'd be a fantastic fit, Montreal with Tavares puts them right behind Tampa, and I've already touched on St. Louis.

All of these teams also have actual hockey rinks to play at, which is appealing to players.
Caufzi and Penguinstanleycup liked this.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 8:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
My favourite JT destinations, in order. St Louis, cap and good team. Carolina, cap and a upcoming team....are they going to stay in Carolina? New Jersey, it's close to home and the easiest travel schedule. San Jose to replace Joe.
Isles.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 8:56 p.m.
Banned
Edited Nov. 11, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.
My Favorite Teams For John Tavares In 2017-2018 Or 2018-2019 NHL Season
1 Vegas Golden Knights
2 Ottawa Senators
3 Calagary Flames
4 St.Louis Blues
5 Toronto Maple Leafts
6 Vancouver Canucks
7 Montreal Canadiens
8 Edmonton Oilers
9 Winnipeg Jets
10 New Jersey Devils
11 San Jose Sharks
12 Anaheim Ducks
Nov. 11, 2017 at 10:14 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
San Jose makes a lot of sense for him too, but I think they'd also need to target a winger or two to provide some more scoring punch. They should be able to fit all that under the cap, especially since Thornton's 8 mill comes off.

But I can't help but think about him with the Blues, and just how fantastic of a team they have with him. They would have almost endless possibilities for their top six forwards, and they're all good. And the power play would be the best in the league. Tarasenko, Tavares, Schwartz, Schenn, Parayko. I guarantee you the key to playing the Blues with Tavares would be discipline
Penguinstanleycup liked this.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 11:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz

If I were him, no. This is an opportunity for him to go to a team with legitimate Cup odds, not a team that is in a never ending retool/rebuild. Carolina is a young team on the rise, if Columbus could free up the cap space they'd be a fantastic fit, Montreal with Tavares puts them right behind Tampa, and I've already touched on St. Louis.

All of these teams also have actual hockey rinks to play at, which is appealing to players.

not to be mean but you have to at least think about it. Every player must at least consider re-siging with their team, especially a guy who's the captain of his team and a top 10 player in the NHL.
Nov. 11, 2017 at 11:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DetroitRedWingsFan2
1 Vegas Golden Knights
2 Ottawa Senators
3 Calagary Flames
4 St.Louis Blues
5 Toronto Maple Leafts
6 Vancouver Canucks
7 Montreal Canadiens
8 Edmonton Oilers
9 Winnipeg Jets
10 New Jersey Devils
11 San Jose Sharks
12 Anaheim Ducks

Is this if he doesn't re-sign or are you saying all those teams are more likely than the Isles?
Nov. 12, 2017 at 12:14 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

not to be mean but you have to at least think about it. Every player must at least consider re-siging with their team, especially a guy who's the captain of his team and a top 10 player in the NHL.

So why would he stay on a mediocre team when he can go to a Cup contender?
Nov. 12, 2017 at 11:20 a.m.
Penguinstanleycup

Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
St. Louis Blues

I think he will be gone by at least December for trash
Watch him go to
1. Carolina Hurricanes
2. New York Rangers
3. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Colorado Avalanche
5. Dallas Stars
All of these will be a steal trade the team get Traveres and the Islanders will get trash
Nov. 12, 2017 at 11:39 a.m.
Banned

Is this if he doesn't re-sign or are you saying all those teams are more likely than the Isles?

And Yes I Think So If The NY Islanders Don't Resign John Tavares Probably My Guess The Frontrunners Are The Edmonton Oilers Or The Montreal Canadiens For John Tavares On A 4 Year Deal Around 12.5Million Dollars Probably Will Be The Contract For John Tavares In The Free Agent Market
Nov. 12, 2017 at 6:42 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

And Yes I Think So If The NY Islanders Don't Resign John Tavares Probably My Guess The Frontrunners Are The Edmonton Oilers Or The Montreal Canadiens For John Tavares On A 4 Year Deal Around 12.5Million Dollars Probably Will Be The Contract For John Tavares In The Free Agent Market

If he hits the market, he's getting the max seven.

Also, there is a negative chance that the Oilers can get him. They're in a cap crunch already, they can't have over $30 million tied up in three players. Simple stuff.
Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:02 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Penguinstanleycup

Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
St. Louis Blues

I think he will be gone by at least December for trash
Watch him go to
1. Carolina Hurricanes
2. New York Rangers
3. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Colorado Avalanche
5. Dallas Stars
All of these will be a steal trade the team get Traveres and the Islanders will get trash

Carolina makes sense, as they desperately need a 1C to supplement the rest of their team, which looks good enough to contend. But as always, they're in the discussion of possible relocation, and if Tavares doesn't want to stay in New York because of no assurance of stability, I don't know why he'd want to go to Carolina. Maybe the new owners (has that even happened yet?) can provide some stability for him.

The Rangers also could make a jump, as they are hungry for a Cup with Lundqvist at the helm. Although, they did trade away Stepan and Brassard in an attempt to get younger with the 7th overall, DeAngelo, and Zibanejad. They're a team that's in a limbo state, where they have good young players (Zibanejad, Skjei, Hayes, Miller), but they also have an older group that they want to win a Cup with (Lundqvist, Nash, Zuccarello, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith). It all depends on what direction management wants to take them.

Toronto is going to be tight against the cap when it comes time to signing Matthews, Nylander, and Marner. Don't expect them to go for the big fish in free agency. They're not going to shell out big money for Tavares when they can give the same (or less) money to a younger Matthews with an extra year added on. Not to mention that Matthews is a 1C and they're not going to pay 1C money for a 2C. Pittsburgh is the only team that's wily enough to do that.

Colorado may want to sign Tavares, but I can't see him actually wanting to go to a team that was historically terrible just a season ago. He's in his prime and wants to lead a team to a Cup while he still can. Plus, MacKinnon is still looking Colorado's 1C for the foreseeable future. They already have a decent, young top 6. They'll be more likely to upgrade their blue line and forward depth first.

Dallas is already tight against the cap and have a plethora of centers. Plus, with Spezza having another year at $7.5 million, that prevents any big money moves for at least another year. Then Seguin's extension is going to come up the following season, so I don't see them making a jump at Tavares. Dallas has a lot of money tied up for the near and far-ish future: Benn, Radulov, Bishop, Hanzal, Klingberg, Seguin's extension. Plus extension's needed for their other depth players like Lindell and Faksa.
Nov. 13, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

So why would he stay on a mediocre team when he can go to a Cup contender?

There is something to be said for familiarity.

Also, there's no way he signs with the Rangers. He's a loyal guy. Even if he decides to leave the Islanders, he wouldn't do it just to make the jump to their rivals.

Vegas, on the other hand, is an interesting possibility....I still think he'd rather go to a more traditional market in St. Louis, which has a better chance to win right now, but if Tavares likes what he sees when the Islanders travel to Vegas, and the Knights somehow manage to make the playoffs this year, I wouldn't rule it out.
Nov. 13, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
The destinations that make the most sense for both sides are St. Louis, Carolina, San Jose and Montreal (plus Columbus if they find a way to somehow make the cap work).
Nov. 13, 2017 at 9:05 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
I think Tavares will get traded at the dead line for some early round picks and a prospect or two and then resign with the Islanders in July.
Nov. 14, 2017 at 12:26 a.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
Islanders are playing fairly well (not great) and obviously Tavares does not have a contract. He's an elite center without elite talent around him. With the arena situation in question and given the team's lack of consistent success, where does he end up if he doesn't return to NYI?

I have a thought, but want to hear from you guys.

You were able to spell his name right smile... Guy is a generational talent who I think Islanders will find a way to keep though expensively. HE is like 3rd for most Hat Tricks in Islanders history behind Bossy and Trottier... Has more than Palffy or King, though think is tied with Turgeon who had that monster season for them smile. If he got traded it would probably be a team like Sharks who have some cap space, maybe Stars, lot depends on if its for a rental to then have him become a UFA or to sign... IF they ship him to a team who just wants to run out the season trying to get him to win them a cup... Then allow him to become a UFA to leave for any team or make some offer not expecting him to stay or know it opens up everything. Not sure who would have enough ammo, though with GArth Snow don't need talent he will trade guys like Niedo for a bag of pucks among others wink.
Nov. 14, 2017 at 7:23 p.m.
1 Vegas Golden Knights
2 Ottawa Senators
3 Calagary Flames
4 St.Louis Blues
5 Toronto Maple Leafts
6 Vancouver Canucks
7 Montreal Canadiens
8 Edmonton Oilers
9 Winnipeg Jets
10 New Jersey Devils
11 San Jose Sharks
12 Anaheim Ducks

Ok so you're a "I cheer for Canadian teams first" guy aren't you.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll