SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who does Vegas keep?

Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:41 p.m.
Obviously, this is still a tad early: Vegas has only played 19 games this season, so they could still fall out of the race. However, with each passing game, they look more and more like a team that could seriously be a playoff team in the Pacific division. Right now, their lineup looks like some derivative of this:
Perron - Haula - Neal
Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Leipsic - Eakin - Tuch
Nosek - Bellemare - Carrier
Lindberg

Schmidt - Sbisa
Hunt - Miller
Theodore - Engelland
McNabb

Fleury
Subban/Dansk/Legace

With this team succeeding, a question few asked before the season: which of their pending UFAs do they attempt to keep, and which do they move at the trade deadline?
Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
tadhockey, would you be interested in joining the GM Game?
Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:52 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
And to answer the question, I say they get rid of Neal, Perron, McNabb, and maybe another defenseman. A couple smaller moves could happen, but those are going to be the biggest returns they bring back. Sbisa could go as well. Marchessault is a guy I think they’ll want to keep
Nov. 19, 2017 at 11:10 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
Obviously, this is still a tad early: Vegas has only played 19 games this season, so they could still fall out of the race. However, with each passing game, they look more and more like a team that could seriously be a playoff team in the Pacific division. Right now, their lineup looks like some derivative of this:
Perron - Haula - Neal
Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Leipsic - Eakin - Tuch
Nosek - Bellemare - Carrier
Lindberg

Schmidt - Sbisa
Hunt - Miller
Theodore - Engelland
McNabb

Fleury
Subban/Dansk/Legace

With this team succeeding, a question few asked before the season: which of their pending UFAs do they attempt to keep, and which do they move at the trade deadline?

Well so far I was only person to vote for them to have 85+ to 100 points in poll I did in their forum before team even existed... Also figuring they would land in the 11-15 spot in another poll in there... So unless they are not in the top 3 of the Pacific I don't expect them to make any trades that would weaken them... Likely they will try to ship out Garrison who is buried in the minors, deals like that, maybe trade Sbisa since McNabb is younger with a lower money value... Forwards rotate in/out at times, maybe Neal would get traded though in a deal to improve them getting a quality right shooting D-man to help out Miller since Engelland is only other right shot they got back there.

Kings just got whipped by Vegas, Quick let up like 3 goals on 9 shots so they had to throw Darcy back in. If not for the goalie injuries they would really be in great shape... STill they on pace for about 48 wins with 94ish points, so figure getting the 88 I picked is fairly possible in actual reality smile. The younger players on those lists likely will stay, maybe if guy is 28-30+ they would have less LTR for team. None of those goalies seem like will get traded unless Fleury is shipped for his injury issues etc. Though don't think any sane team would take his contract including the Coyotes smile. Would be great if Vegas wins Pacific Division with Kings getting shaky while other teams have own issues like Sharks not scoring, Ducks injuries, Flames being a bit up/down while Canucks seem like might start dipping...
Nov. 20, 2017 at 3:48 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

It would have to be the right situation, where I was not relied on to do much. I'm currently playing a couple other fantasy games, and my biggest one is about to start. Furthermore, the rest of my commitments from January thru most of April make it much harder for me to follow the NHL.

In terms of contracts, I agree, Marchessault is most likely a stay; he's been extremely good, is a decent age, and is capable of both center and wing. At least one of Garrison/Sbisa should be gone, and I think they'd be foolish to not trade Neal and/or Perron. That being said, I could see them keeping at least one of the two forwards and signing them to an extension, and I can also see them keeping Sbisa and making a (questionable) move to retain him. I also expect Engelland to stay, even though he likely continues to be Theodore's anchor.
Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:04 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

It would have to be the right situation, where I was not relied on to do much. I'm currently playing a couple other fantasy games, and my biggest one is about to start. Furthermore, the rest of my commitments from January thru most of April make it much harder for me to follow the NHL.

In terms of contracts, I agree, Marchessault is most likely a stay; he's been extremely good, is a decent age, and is capable of both center and wing. At least one of Garrison/Sbisa should be gone, and I think they'd be foolish to not trade Neal and/or Perron. That being said, I could see them keeping at least one of the two forwards and signing them to an extension, and I can also see them keeping Sbisa and making a (questionable) move to retain him. I also expect Engelland to stay, even though he likely continues to be Theodore's anchor.

I got this odd gut feeling that Perron will stick around making Neal most likely if one of them are shipped... Vegas could always take a run at Post Season then flip guys rights before the draft or at draft if they don't think they can sign for decent money. Engelland they can probably keep pretty cheap, at his age they probably want to give him 1 year deals not risk him getting hurt or whatever. Garrison probably needs an injury to a team to get him flipped at trade deadline to them. Sbisa can always get Russel money 4M+ if he can keep up his torrid play hehe smile. I just wonder how long/much Marchessault will cost them to keep around.

Good Luck in Fantasy Leagues smile.
Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:32 a.m.
Quoting: Daoloth

I got this odd gut feeling that Perron will stick around making Neal most likely if one of them are shipped... Vegas could always take a run at Post Season then flip guys rights before the draft or at draft if they don't think they can sign for decent money. Engelland they can probably keep pretty cheap, at his age they probably want to give him 1 year deals not risk him getting hurt or whatever. Garrison probably needs an injury to a team to get him flipped at trade deadline to them. Sbisa can always get Russel money 4M+ if he can keep up his torrid play hehe smile. I just wonder how long/much Marchessault will cost them to keep around.

I would hate for them to give Sbisa that kind of money. While he hasn't been flat out awful, he definitely has not been good. For Marchessault, I went back and look at his numbers. A lot will have to do with what he scores this year, because outside of that 30-goal season last year, he doesn't have much NHL track record. Assuming he goes on to score ~50 points and 20-25 goals this year, I would expect a contract around 4.5-5 million dollars: less than a player like Ehlers, who's scored more points, but more than a depth piece like Connor Brown.

So seems like the consensus is:
OUT
- Garrison (if anyone wants him)
- Merrill (if anyone wants him)
- McNabb
- Neal OR Perron
STAY
- Marchessault
- Neal OR Perron
- Sbisa
Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:51 a.m.
Quoting: Daoloth

I would hate for them to give Sbisa that kind of money. While he hasn't been flat out awful, he definitely has not been good. For Marchessault, I went back and look at his numbers. A lot will have to do with what he scores this year, because outside of that 30-goal season last year, he doesn't have much NHL track record. Assuming he goes on to score ~50 points and 20-25 goals this year, I would expect a contract around 4.5-5 million dollars: less than a player like Ehlers, who's scored more points, but more than a depth piece like Connor Brown.

So seems like the consensus is:
OUT
- Garrison (if anyone wants him)
- Merrill (if anyone wants him)
- McNabb
- Neal OR Perron
STAY
- Marchessault
- Neal OR Perron
- Sbisa

Yeah a lot depends on how much money Marchessault wants, maybe they will try offering him some sorta bridge deal like 2.5-3.5M over two or three years to see if he is for real. Sbisa I kinda hope they ship out instead of expecting him to do well for them again or not get injured. Merrill will be interesting to see if they even tender him an offer since he is set to be RFA that don't fit in much currently. McNabb played almost 20 minutes against the Kings so I think he might stick around... AT worse he is probably a toss up, though not sure they will want to pay him close to 2M or even 1.5M given his current cap hit is around 2M. If they make Post Season they can afford to keep Perron/Neal if they are happy in Vegas. My concern with Marchessault is he is small for a player in the WC, even the CBJ recent signing guy is listed at like 5'8ish which works better in the East than West. Like Kings shipped out Cam for being a bit too small for Jussi, Versteeg was a total bust in LA getting hurt not able to play their system... Yet the Flames style is a better fit for smaller players like him and Johnny Hockey even Theo Fleury or whatever his name was back in day smile.

Johansson is getting like 8M who I think only had 1 season of 30 or more goals on CBJ but Nashville wanted to keep him badly. I think its really risky to throw any kind of long term money at March given his size along with limited scoring history though. Recently Sbisa was scratched a few games then they listed him as having an injury or so. That makes me wonder if they plan to keep him or ship him/let walk. Franky the Vegas GM is wacko, taking Emelin then trading him retaining part of his salary passing on better options Montreal had exposed smile. Trying to apply logic to insanity isn't going to be easy to have accurate results.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll