Forums/Armchair-GM

Change of Scenery Players

Created by: StDetroitBlueWings
Team: 2024-25 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: May 14, 2024
Published: May 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just a list of players I wouldn't mind targeting as a younger change of scenery with potential upside

More just what's the asking price on these?

Blues could send out some players like Saad and Hayes to open up more spots. Need to revamp the middle 6 somehow, adding some youth and change of scenery players could be huge. If they don't pan out, just move on. Similar risks we took on Vrana and Kapanen. See if a change helps, if not, move on. Nows the time to take these risks and see if they work somehow
Trades
CGY
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (STL)
STL
  1. Berggren, Jonatan [RFA Rights]
  2. Johansson, Albert [RFA Rights]
  3. Söderblom, Elmer
Additional Details:
Not necessarily all three, but curious on how the Wings view these players and any sort of asking price
DET
STL
  1. Broberg, Philip [RFA Rights]
  2. Holloway, Dylan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Same as Detroit. More just if they're available and the cost
EDM
STL
  1. Kaliyev, Arthur [RFA Rights]
  2. Turcotte, Alex [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Availability and cost?
LAK
STL
  1. Rossi, Marco
Additional Details:
Could a Buch/Rossi base make sense? Would hate to trade Buch in division though
MIN
STL
  1. Wahlstrom, Oliver [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Could be a sneaky change of scenery kind of player
NYI
STL
  1. Woo, Jett [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Rick Flair drip go WOO
VAN
STL
  1. Kunin, Luke [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Bring him home
SJS
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$87,700,000$79,598,928$0$850,000$8,101,072
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 7
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$878,333$878,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 14 at 5:37 p.m.
Rossi isn't a change of scenery trade, he's a "we'll trade him only if we can get something of a similar age/upside we like better"

Needless to say Buchnevich is not that

Think along the lines of one of your recent 1st round picks if you want to talk about a Rossi trade
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 14 at 5:38 p.m.
EDM likely won't have interest in moving either Holloway or Broberg as they need young, cheap roster players. Both are on-track to break into the league full-time next year and neither is likely to be on more than a 1mil cap hit.
Nhl_oilers, OldNYIfan, CD282 and 1 other person liked this.
May 14 at 5:39 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
Rossi isn't a change of scenery trade, he's a "we'll trade him only if we can get something of a similar age/upside we like better"

Think along the lines of one of your recent 1st round picks if you want to talk about a Rossi trade

Noted. Just have seen his name floating around a bit so wasn't sure if he could be on the way out. Makes sense.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 14 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone
EDM likely won't have interest in moving either Holloway or Broberg as they need young, cheap roster players. Both are on-track to break into the league full-time next year and neither is likely to be on more than a 1mil cap hit.

It just frustrates me seeing how Broberg especially isn't being used. Would love him on the Blues but understand if EDM keeps him. Holloway was a reach and figured not available but never hurts to ask
OldNYIfan and CD282 liked this.
May 14 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: StDetroitBlueWings
Noted. Just have seen his name floating around a bit so wasn't sure if he could be on the way out. Makes sense.

He could be on the way out, yes, but Russo has reported that it would be for a very specific type of return, IF they can get that.

So far the only actual news of him being available was for Cutter Gauthier before he was traded to Anaheim, to further the point.
May 14 at 5:43 p.m.
It just frustrates me seeing how Broberg especially isn't being used. Would love him on the Blues but understand if EDM keeps him. Holloway was a reach and figured not available but never hurts to ask

Certainly fair to ask smile Re: Broberg, he'll be 23 by next season. That's not a late start to a full-time NHL career for a Dman, especially not when he's behind a strong and remarkably healthy LD group.
May 14 at 5:53 p.m.
AlJo is very important for the Wings next year, he’s been excellent for the Griffins and should be a lock for the lineup next season. Berggy and Soderblom are both in curious spots in the organization, could definitely see them moved for a different opportunity.
buffbry and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 14 at 5:55 p.m.
Kaliyev probably a pick. Maybe a 4th or a player similar to his situation. Puljujarvi has been a name that’s being thrown around as a possible option. I wouldn’t mind holtz. Kings would need to add but sounds like he could need a change of scenery.

Turcotte needs to stay healthy. He doesn’t necessarily need a change of scenery. Maybe he could be swapped for Holtz type player
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 14 at 6:16 p.m.
From NJD, closest would probably be Holtz, but he has another year on ELC.
May 14 at 6:35 p.m.
Osiecki death stare

Not Snuggerud. Minnesota is already working on NIL money so he can stay and then sign with the Wild as a free agent wink
May 14 at 6:48 p.m.
mokumboi
I've been beating the Jett Woo drum for like two years. Maybe more. Been after Broberg for at least a year.

A lot of these are redundant or not that enticing or both.
CD282 liked this.
May 14 at 7:22 p.m.

Isn’t that a fair thing to be said about every single player in virtually every single circumstance?
May 14 at 7:31 p.m.
Quoting: AC14
Isn’t that a fair thing to be said about every single player in virtually every single circumstance?

Yes and no. Some players genuinely are available for a package of lesser pieces. Rossi just isn't one of them.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 14 at 9:06 p.m.
Kaliyev, Broberg, and Woo are the 3 guys I’d push for the most. Turcotte could be interesting but I think he’s been burned out by the Kings development path. He is what he is.
CD282 liked this.
May 14 at 9:53 p.m.
AJ - Surprisingly the most physical of the LHD prospects in Detroit. A two way guy who lacks natural offense, but is very capable in his own zone. Best case he reaches a #3 with a skilled offensive partner. Most likely outcome is he slots in as a 4-6 who can play second line minutes and kills penalties. Most NHL ready and probably starts the year in Detroit or is moved.

Burgers - Proving his worth in the AHL playoffs. Should have been in Detroit for some/most of the season. Very solid middle 6 guy in my opinion and should be the heir apparent to Sprong (with hopefully better defense). There is a risk that he never transitions fully (given no indication that will happen so far), in which case he becomes another journeyman that has really good stints for some teams, and less spectacular with others.

Soda - The enigma. 6'8 but plays like he is a regular size guy. Very good hands, talented stick and solid hockey IQ. Lacks foot speed, gets pushed off the puck too easy, and defers (passive not assertive) play to others. Not a great skater, more of a train that takes forever to get to top speed (which isn't that high). When he does get rolling though he is tough to stop. Most likely not traded due to the late round selection and the reward/risk factor. Best case scenario 3rd LW/RW who pots 20 goals (10+PP). Hard to say most likely since his skillset as of now isn't conducive for a 4th liner.
May 15 at 1:39 a.m.
Yes and no. Some players genuinely are available for a package of lesser pieces. Rossi just isn't one of them.

What I’m getting at is wouldn’t any player in a roster be available for a something of a similar age/upside we like better?
May 15 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: JMSTL2019
Kaliyev, Broberg, and Woo are the 3 guys I’d push for the most. Turcotte could be interesting but I think he’s been burned out by the Kings development path. He is what he is.

Turcotte would be interesting for sure. I wouldn't mind throwing up to a 2nd for him and just slot him in at 3C. Assuming we got rid of Hayes
JMSTL2019 liked this.
May 15 at 10:16 a.m.
Turcotte would be interesting for sure. I wouldn't mind throwing up to a 2nd for him and just slot him in at 3C. Assuming we got rid of Hayes

It’s never bad to have too many centers but the Blues need to figure out where Stenberg fits in the future as well as Dean before picking up a guy like Turcotte. I think the 3C belongs to Dean next season, Stenberg on the wing in 2-3 years, and Alexandrov is let go this summer.
StDetroitBlueWings liked this.
May 15 at 10:39 a.m.
Quoting: JMSTL2019
It’s never bad to have too many centers but the Blues need to figure out where Stenberg fits in the future as well as Dean before picking up a guy like Turcotte. I think the 3C belongs to Dean next season, Stenberg on the wing in 2-3 years, and Alexandrov is let go this summer.

Agreed. I'm thinking in two-ish years, the lineup looks like.....

Bolduc - Thomas - Neighbours
Kyrou - Dvorsky - Snuggy
Stenberg - Dean - Sylvegård
Walker - Sunny - Torp

Very young but talented. If we resign Buch (personally on team "Trade Buch") he probably slots in at RW2. Not sure if Snuggy or Kyrou can play LW. But that top line of Neighbours/Bolduc/Thomas just feels like it could have so much potential. Or move Snuggy to RW1 and have line 2 of Neighbours / Dvorsky / Kyrou

Edit: another main reason I'm camp trade Buch is he doesn't fit the timeline, plus he's mainly a RW and we will have Kyrou and Snuggy top two RW. Then need to slot in Bolduc and Neighbours at LW. Then centers of Thomas and hopefully Dvorsky. Are we really wanting to have Buch be third line? Or moving any of the mentioned names down to third line?
JMSTL2019 liked this.
May 15 at 12:50 p.m.
Agreed. I'm thinking in two-ish years, the lineup looks like.....

Bolduc - Thomas - Neighbours
Kyrou - Dvorsky - Snuggy
Stenberg - Dean - Sylvegård
Walker - Sunny - Torp

Very young but talented. If we resign Buch (personally on team "Trade Buch") he probably slots in at RW2. Not sure if Snuggy or Kyrou can play LW. But that top line of Neighbours/Bolduc/Thomas just feels like it could have so much potential. Or move Snuggy to RW1 and have line 2 of Neighbours / Dvorsky / Kyrou

Edit: another main reason I'm camp trade Buch is he doesn't fit the timeline, plus he's mainly a RW and we will have Kyrou and Snuggy top two RW. Then need to slot in Bolduc and Neighbours at LW. Then centers of Thomas and hopefully Dvorsky. Are we really wanting to have Buch be third line? Or moving any of the mentioned names down to third line?

I think our peak team is when we can have neighbours on the third line. The way he plays is very simple and effective and would get us good secondary scoring on a 3rd line. Our best offense is going to come from a having a second line caliber third line, rather than the two first line caliber lines that most teams take, while casting their bottom 6 into oblivion.

EDIT: That said I am still team trade Buch
May 15 at 1:14 p.m.
mokumboi

You want to trade Hayes for Hayes Jr.? Turcotte = meh. Dean is more suitable, if not also better.
May 15 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
You want to trade Hayes for Hayes Jr.? Turcotte = meh. Dean is more suitable, if not also better.

Younger, cheaper, and change could help. At least worth a shot for a year
May 15 at 1:31 p.m.
mokumboi
Younger, cheaper, and change could help. At least worth a shot for a year

So is Dean, who's actually a 200 ft gamer.
May 15 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
So is Dean, who's actually a 200 ft gamer.

So center's this year being:
Thomas / Buch or Dvorsky / Dean / Sunny?

I can get behind that for sure. Just felt a little underwhelmed with Dean during the time he got but some of that could be just playing super limited 4th line minutes

If he can't get 3rd line minutes (may be tough with Hayes still in the fold) I'd play him top minutes in Springfield.
May 15 at 6:33 p.m.
Anyone else get the Metro Boomin reference

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll