Forums/Armchair-GM

WE NEED DEMIDOV

Created by: bestBIGRAS
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 14, 2024
Published: May 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As a Habs fan, if we want to win a cup in the future, we are missing a game changer. Demidov is that guy. We must get him, and could overpay to get him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Demidov, Ivan
3$950,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Roy, Joshua
  2. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  3. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
VGK
  1. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (PIT)
PHI
  1. Harris, Jordan
  2. Mesar, Filip
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$77,799,583$1,022,500$4,727,500$5,700,417

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
Demidov, Ivan
$950,000$950,000
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 14 at 12:30 a.m.
Flyers easily decline. The only way Farabee gets traded is if he is part of a packeage for a more valuable player or in a hockey trade for a position of need.
May 14 at 12:30 a.m.
Mr.
Absolutely no reason for montreal to move up
Campabee liked this.
May 14 at 7:25 a.m.
CHI declines.
PaulKorea, Hawksguy81 and Patches liked this.
May 14 at 7:29 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
As far as Montreal moving up, I could see them wanting to do it, unfortunately I also see Chicago not needing to move down and wanting Demidov for themselves even if they should go for a big Defenseman. I think the risk for them to move down to 5th is higher than staying put, so while the trade is a high value, I'd be surprised to see it. Levshunov or Silayev should be their target but moving down could cost them these players. THe only spot I would see them moving down is 4th at max to either get Demidov, Levshunov or Silayev (this is if Sharks don't pull a huge surprise and don't take Celibrini).

Vegas trade would be good for VGK to reduce their Cap hit. Knights fans will be against this.. But it's a fair trade.

Philly, don't see them moving Farabee, but given the cap space, if they can't move others Brière will move someone out.. Farabee could be a target for some teams.
May 14 at 8:57 a.m.
Hard to see Chicago moving out of that 2nd pick.
Hawksguy81 and Garak liked this.
May 14 at 9:14 a.m.
Bedard23
The 5th overall pick has to be involved if we were to move down (unlikely to begin with) and that’s non-negotiable its either you hand us pick 5, or we stay where we are and take Demidov from you
PaulKorea and Garak liked this.
May 14 at 9:49 a.m.
I like mesar a lot. Wish he was a true C instead of more of a RW though.. Still, hes had such a great bounce back year, I wonder what his value is now. If PHI trades TK for a C prospect, I could see Beezer going for a young winger prospect like Mesar. the RW situation is too jammed at the moment for this to be their only move
May 14 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
As far as Montreal moving up, I could see them wanting to do it, unfortunately I also see Chicago not needing to move down and wanting Demidov for themselves even if they should go for a big Defenseman. I think the risk for them to move down to 5th is higher than staying put, so while the trade is a high value, I'd be surprised to see it. Levshunov or Silayev should be their target but moving down could cost them these players. THe only spot I would see them moving down is 4th at max to either get Demidov, Levshunov or Silayev (this is if Sharks don't pull a huge surprise and don't take Celibrini).

Vegas trade would be good for VGK to reduce their Cap hit. Knights fans will be against this.. But it's a fair trade.

Philly, don't see them moving Farabee, but given the cap space, if they can't move others Brière will move someone out.. Farabee could be a target for some teams.

Chicago could move to 5th if they want a defenseman and depending on the style of play that defenseman is. There are 6 defenseman ranked very high, not much separating them, and all very different from eachother. Not saying they will/would, just saying the argument is there.
May 14 at 1:35 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: RobbStark003
Chicago could move to 5th if they want a defenseman and depending on the style of play that defenseman is. There are 6 defenseman ranked very high, not much separating them, and all very different from eachother. Not saying they will/would, just saying the argument is there.

But you want someone who's the best of them. With Bedard on their roster, they'll want to build front to back with top players and hopefully not do an Oilers/Toronto build where they got the best players available and not the ones they need. It's just my line of thinking and IM not saying you're wrong or anything like that, just sayin at their level right now, they need someone who'll be their top Dman for 10 years once the kid starts being comfortable in the NHL. Levshunov or Silayev are better than the rest even if there are quality Dmen later.

I wouldn't risk that if I was in charge of an NHL franchise who's got a generational player like EDM/TOR did by overlooking needs vs draft ranking.
RobbStark003 liked this.
May 14 at 2:08 p.m.
But you want someone who's the best of them. With Bedard on their roster, they'll want to build front to back with top players and hopefully not do an Oilers/Toronto build where they got the best players available and not the ones they need. It's just my line of thinking and IM not saying you're wrong or anything like that, just sayin at their level right now, they need someone who'll be their top Dman for 10 years once the kid starts being comfortable in the NHL. Levshunov or Silayev are better than the rest even if there are quality Dmen later.

I wouldn't risk that if I was in charge of an NHL franchise who's got a generational player like EDM/TOR did by overlooking needs vs draft ranking.

I agree, just mentioning that there isnt much separation there. I have seen Silayev as high as 2 and as low as 12. This draft has a very large 2nd tier. If Hawks want an Offensive 1-2D to build around, they may value Buium or Parekh higher than Levshunov or Silayev. Which they could still get at 5.

If i am the Hawks, I probably dont move back, but i would understand it if they did.

Also, if I am the hawks, i am asking for 5th overall and Guhle or Mailloux for the 2nd overall. Roy and 27th overall doesnt move the needle for me
May 14 at 2:33 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Also, if I am the hawks, i am asking for 5th overall and Guhle or Mailloux for the 2nd overall. Roy and 27th overall doesn't move the needle for me

Can't disagree with this.

They'll ask for more since they know who the HABS will be targeting and the value on that. Personally, if I'm Hugues, I stay put also. Lindstrom, Eiserman and Iginla could be worth it without sacrificing extra picks or players. Demidov is for sure something, but is it really what they need? I think if Lindstrom is still there, it's the choice to go for (unless they know something we don't about his injury or overall character). Bigger guy, weight, and good hands.
RobbStark003 liked this.
May 14 at 5:11 p.m.
Can't disagree with this.

They'll ask for more since they know who the HABS will be targeting and the value on that. Personally, if I'm Hugues, I stay put also. Lindstrom, Eiserman and Iginla could be worth it without sacrificing extra picks or players. Demidov is for sure something, but is it really what they need? I think if Lindstrom is still there, it's the choice to go for (unless they know something we don't about his injury or overall character). Bigger guy, weight, and good hands.

Lindstrom, Back injuries for his size and style of play could be concerning. Maybe its nothing, but picking this high its still a risk.
Iginla, haven't heard anything that would steer me away at this point.
Eiserman, i believe the concern is he is too 1 dimensional. Can a team contend with two smaller snipers in their top 6? I hear he also has attitude issues.

Montreal media has hinted at interest in Beckett Sennecke at 5. Has small player hands, and just shot up 5 inches in the past few years. Kid looks like a string bean, would be interesting to see him when he puts muscle on.

Also, if any defenseman looks like a true number 1D at 5, I am sure they will have a difficult choice on their hands.

This draft is going to be so unpredictable, i bet we get the same tradeless first round we usually get these days. Maybe a team trying to jump up to grab a falling player around 12-14.
May 14 at 8:33 p.m.

No. Levshunov and Silayev should not be their targets.
May 21 at 10:57 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Garak
No. Levshunov and Silayev should not be their targets.

And that's why you have no clue how a team is built to be solid. As I said, Chicago will MOST LIKELY go for Demidov, and yes, they should target Defensemen as Bedard will need a true top 2 Dman at the blue line as they progress. You can pick 4 of the best Forwards in the leagues and will fail out if you can't progress at the blue line and in goal.

Levshunov is one hell of a blue liner that will have them scratch their heads between him and Demidov.
May 21 at 11:04 a.m.
And that's why you have no clue how a team is built to be solid. As I said, Chicago will MOST LIKELY go for Demidov, and yes, they should target Defensemen as Bedard will need a true top 2 Dman at the blue line as they progress. You can pick 4 of the best Forwards in the leagues and will fail out if you can't progress at the blue line and in goal.

Levshunov is one hell of a blue liner that will have them scratch their heads between him and Demidov.

You think so, huh? How much of Levshunov did you watch this year?
PaulKorea liked this.
May 21 at 11:13 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I agree, just mentioning that there isnt much separation there. I have seen Silayev as high as 2 and as low as 12. This draft has a very large 2nd tier. If Hawks want an Offensive 1-2D to build around, they may value Buium or Parekh higher than Levshunov or Silayev. Which they could still get at 5.

If i am the Hawks, I probably dont move back, but i would understand it if they did.

Also, if I am the hawks, i am asking for 5th overall and Guhle or Mailloux for the 2nd overall. Roy and 27th overall doesnt move the needle for me

There is a very clear 2nd tier with Demidov and Levshunov.

The 3rd tier is where it gets wild
May 21 at 12:26 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
You think so, huh? How much of Levshunov did you watch this year?

How much Demidov did you watch? "Best of Youtube videos?"

I'm actually looking at scouting reports, listening to some scouts that actually roll over those three names as potential no2 picks.

Some say Chicago can't pass on Demidov, while saying that he's something to see in the MHL he still hasn't gotten the time on ice to show what he can actually do in a top league like in the KHL where he didn't get much time to show his skills. Others indicate that Chicago needs to find a top 2 future Defenseman in order to ensure a properly structured rebuild.

Levshunov is at Michigan State and shows some crazy potential for a first year in the Big-10 and already knows the North American style hockey..

Silayev has played a full year in the KHL and proved himself against men.

And why are you even commenting? I said they may go Demidov, but also would need a blue liner..
May 21 at 12:52 p.m.
How much Demidov did you watch? "Best of Youtube videos?"

I'm actually looking at scouting reports, listening to some scouts that actually roll over those three names as potential no2 picks.

Some say Chicago can't pass on Demidov, while saying that he's something to see in the MHL he still hasn't gotten the time on ice to show what he can actually do in a top league like in the KHL where he didn't get much time to show his skills. Others indicate that Chicago needs to find a top 2 future Defenseman in order to ensure a properly structured rebuild.

Levshunov is at Michigan State and shows some crazy potential for a first year in the Big-10 and already knows the North American style hockey..

Silayev has played a full year in the KHL and proved himself against men.

And why are you even commenting? I said they may go Demidov, but also would need a blue liner..

I watched almost all of Levshunov's games this year and probably like 20 of Demidov's games. Levshunov is overblown. Silayev and Levshunov are both exciting young defensemen, but they aren't the best players available at 2nd overall. If Lindstrom has a strong combine and can alleviate some health concerns, I would take him before Levshunov or Silayev. You might even be able to talk me into taking him over Demidov. CHI has needs at every position aside from LD, but I would still consider an LD if they were clearly the BPA. Even if RD was a bigger need than anything else, you don't reach that far with a 2nd overall pick. Especially when it is unlikely CHI picks this high again for quite a while, barring a lottery win. Demidov is absolutely the best player in this draft after Celebrini, and it isn't close, imho. Although, the size, physicality, 2-way play, and general completeness of Lindstrom's game, along with what he projects to be in a few years, I think there is an argument to be made for him, as well. Levshunov at his absolute highest ceiling is maybe in that conversation, but I personally don't see a player who will get there. I think in your average draft, a guy like him probably goes in the late top 10 or early teens.
LivingAnew and PaulKorea liked this.
May 21 at 1:50 p.m.
I watched almost all of Levshunov's games this year and probably like 20 of Demidov's games. Levshunov is overblown. Silayev and Levshunov are both exciting young defensemen, but they aren't the best players available at 2nd overall. If Lindstrom has a strong combine and can alleviate some health concerns, I would take him before Levshunov or Silayev. You might even be able to talk me into taking him over Demidov. CHI has needs at every position aside from LD, but I would still consider an LD if they were clearly the BPA. Even if RD was a bigger need than anything else, you don't reach that far with a 2nd overall pick. Especially when it is unlikely CHI picks this high again for quite a while, barring a lottery win. Demidov is absolutely the best player in this draft after Celebrini, and it isn't close, imho. Although, the size, physicality, 2-way play, and general completeness of Lindstrom's game, along with what he projects to be in a few years, I think there is an argument to be made for him, as well. Levshunov at his absolute highest ceiling is maybe in that conversation, but I personally don't see a player who will get there. I think in your average draft, a guy like him probably goes in the late top 10 or early teens.

Hi, Garak. I've increasingly come around to your line of thinking re Levshunov - for two reasons. First, while I haven't seen nearly as many games of his as you have, what I saw of him in person in South Bend this academic year in games against Notre Dame just didn't stand out much. Honestly, I was left wondering what the big deal was; that perhaps I was missing something... He was a good player, no doubt, and I know he's still very young; don't get me wrong... He just didn't pop out in a significant way to me, as a "can't miss" top-lineRD.

Second, I also saw Sam Rinzel when he came to town, and frankly, I liked him better than Levshunov. Or, to be more specific... I though they were very close to each other. Perhaps Rinzel was a bit better in the defensive zone; Levshunov a mite better in the offensive one. But not too much difference either way.

Put inelegantly... Perhaps the Hawks already have their "Levshunov" in Sam Rinzel. And even more (I'm afraid to even mention this for fear of jinxing him), Rinzel reminded me of Seabrook: size, speed, calm, cool, collected, made the right, easy decisions in his own end, etc. I think Rinzel still has more to refine in his game (esp in the offensive end), but I'm VERY interested to see how he continues to progress.

Assuming the Hawks agree with this, we may see them take a forward to two with their first rounders (I'd love for them to find a way to grab Yakemchuck, too; a top-flight forward and Yakemchuck would make my day!) and then draft some late first round and/or second-round RD to develop over time (as they apparently did so well with Vlasic and other LD prospects).

Anyway, that's my sense, FWIW. I don't have the experience or insight as many do on this site - and certainly not as much as the pro scout teams do - and could be totally off. Gonna be an interesting draft day. With so many draftees ranked closely together, I sense that "wheel and deal" KFC will do what he needs to, to get their guys.

Cheers, LA
Garak liked this.
May 21 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10

This is not the narrative i see at all when it comes to the draft. Demidov is the most skilled, Levshunov is the best all round RHD, but i haven't see anyone claim they have broken from the pack. Silayev has been discussed as high as 2 and low as 12. Lindstrom I have seen go as high as 2 and low as 5. Buium and Parekh could easily jump into conversation for a team looking for a top 2 offensive player that can quarterback the PP for a decade. How is there a clear "tier" when any players are discussed top 3 other than them. No team is jumping to a new tier for a lesser player. Grant McCagg even said Sennecke going top 3 wouldnt surprise him... People make fun of the guy often, granted, but he is constantly right about drafts.

Chicago may (or may not) be down to two players, but thats not a tier.
May 21 at 2:52 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
This is not the narrative i see at all when it comes to the draft. Demidov is the most skilled, Levshunov is the best all round RHD, but i haven't see anyone claim they have broken from the pack. Silayev has been discussed as high as 2 and low as 12. Lindstrom I have seen go as high as 2 and low as 5. Buium and Parekh could easily jump into conversation for a team looking for a top 2 offensive player that can quarterback the PP for a decade. How is there a clear "tier" when any players are discussed top 3 other than them. No team is jumping to a new tier for a lesser player. Grant McCagg even said Sennecke going top 3 wouldnt surprise him... People make fun of the guy often, granted, but he is constantly right about drafts.

Chicago may (or may not) be down to two players, but thats not a tier.

That is wishful thinking in hoping the Demidov falls to 5. He won’t
May 21 at 3:07 p.m.
Edited May 21 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: LivingAnew
Hi, Garak. I've increasingly come around to your line of thinking re Levshunov - for two reasons. First, while I haven't seen nearly as many games of his as you have, what I saw of him in person in South Bend this academic year in games against Notre Dame just didn't stand out much. Honestly, I was left wondering what the big deal was; that perhaps I was missing something... He was a good player, no doubt, and I know he's still very young; don't get me wrong... He just didn't pop out in a significant way to me, as a "can't miss" top-lineRD.

Second, I also saw Sam Rinzel when he came to town, and frankly, I liked him better than Levshunov. Or, to be more specific... I though they were very close to each other. Perhaps Rinzel was a bit better in the defensive zone; Levshunov a mite better in the offensive one. But not too much difference either way.

Put inelegantly... Perhaps the Hawks already have their "Levshunov" in Sam Rinzel. And even more (I'm afraid to even mention this for fear of jinxing him), Rinzel reminded me of Seabrook: size, speed, calm, cool, collected, made the right, easy decisions in his own end, etc. I think Rinzel still has more to refine in his game (esp in the offensive end), but I'm VERY interested to see how he continues to progress.

Assuming the Hawks agree with this, we may see them take a forward to two with their first rounders (I'd love for them to find a way to grab Yakemchuck, too; a top-flight forward and Yakemchuck would make my day!) and then draft some late first round and/or second-round RD to develop over time (as they apparently did so well with Vlasic and other LD prospects).

Anyway, that's my sense, FWIW. I don't have the experience or insight as many do on this site - and certainly not as much as the pro scout teams do - and could be totally off. Gonna be an interesting draft day. With so many draftees ranked closely together, I sense that "wheel and deal" KFC will do what he needs to, to get their guys.

Cheers, LA

Yeah. Well put. I think Rinzel just seems more engaged in all zones, more confident in himself, more consistent effort, and his activation in the offensive zone seems more translatable and purposeful.

I won't claim to be an expert by any means, I just have a lot of time on my hands, and I love watching hockey when I'm not too burnt out from watching hockey. haha.

I honestly see what people are saying about Levshunov, just not quite at the level everyone is making it out to be. Sure he could be great if A LOT of things go right, but I think that where he lacks in effort and compete tells me his ceiling is a longer shot than some people think it is.
LivingAnew liked this.
Tue. at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10

I think if it weren't for the injury and missed time, Lindstrom would also be entrenched in that 2nd tier in the public discussions. Personally, I still do include him, but I get the hesitation. Also, I don't include Levshunov, but I get why people do.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll