Forums/Armchair-GM

Improvements Under the Cap

Created by: PurpleHippo
Team: 2024-25 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 1, 2024
Published: Apr. 30, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Seattle: Don't know if you'd prefer Ceci since Schultz may be leaving but it gives you a good 3rd line dman for a relatively cheap cost (Kulak plays right side too).
Helps EDM's cap situation given that Broberg will hopefully be moving up next season.

Phili: Gives you back a pick swap and ok prospect (it can be someone else around that tier you may have more interest in), Vinny also can gap fill until your RHD prospects come up (1-2 year low cost contract).
Risto being paired with Nurse could be a gamble but I think they may perform well under Coffey.

San Jose: Cap dump for Campbell I've seen posted a bit around the site by your fans.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$798,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
1$775,000
2$800,000
2$900,000
7$5,000,000
1$775,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2025 5th round pick (SEA)
EDM
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus ($2,100,000 retained)
  2. 2025 5th round pick (CAR)
PHI
  1. Tullio, Tyler
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
V. Desharnais Rights.
EDM
    Future Considerations
    SJS
    1. Campbell, Jack
    2. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$87,500,000$86,789,667$3,450,000$0$710,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C
    RFA
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $775,000$775,000
    C, RW
    UFA
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA
    $798,000$798,000
    LD
    RFA
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 30 at 4:36 p.m.
    Quoting: CD282
    I wasn't taking just TOI, I was also looking at other factors also, which I mentioned.

And if teams continually don't have 2 RHD who can slot ahead of Ceci, maybe you need to rejig your mindset on what a top-4 RHD actually is. The fact is there aren't 64 right handed defensemen in the league that are better than Ceci. That makes him a top-4 defender.

Ceci has mostly kept his head above water playing top-4 too, unlike Ristolainen. You rightly point out that Ristolainen has played top-4 most of his career before this season, but failed to note that he's been overwhelmed on that role his entire career too. Sometimes you just have to look at results - the players eventually tell you what they are.

Ceci can (and does) play top-4, Ristolainen can't (and doesn't). It's that simple.

Your argument just circled itself but I'll keep that aside.
    I don't, I just look into situations, player analysis and watch play rather than look at stats to form opinions.

Ceci is fine in a top-4 role, he would excel on our 3rd and our d-core as a whole would be better with a better dman beside Nurse.
    Results do speak, thus why Desh TOI has risen throughout this year, because our coaches noted they needed to take a bit of the load off Ceci and because Desh has improved and earned the extra TOI.

I have never understood your opposition to upgrading our RHD, Ceci has been a good stop gap but there are upgrades we can make while keeping him.
    Why the opposition?
    Apr. 30 at 6:04 p.m.
    Quoting: PurpleHippo
    Your argument just circled itself but I'll keep that aside.
    I don't, I just look into situations, player analysis and watch play rather than look at stats to form opinions.

Ceci is fine in a top-4 role, he would excel on our 3rd and our d-core as a whole would be better with a better dman beside Nurse.
    Results do speak, thus why Desh TOI has risen throughout this year, because our coaches noted they needed to take a bit of the load off Ceci and because Desh has improved and earned the extra TOI.

I have never understood your opposition to upgrading our RHD, Ceci has been a good stop gap but there are upgrades we can make while keeping him.
    Why the opposition?

The old "I watch hockey so I'm more informed than you" argument, eh? Somehow it always comes down to that.

Firstly, I'm not even giving my opinion of the players, I'm simply telling you the facts of their usage and why it's relevant. Secondly, I guarantee that Torts knows far more about hockey than you do, and watches Ristolainen more than you too. I trust his opinion over mine and yours.

For the record I've never once opposed upgrading the RHD. I do oppose downgrading the RHD however, and the evidence indicates that Ristolainen is, in fact, a downgrade.
    Apr. 30 at 9:15 p.m.
    The old "I watch hockey so I'm more informed than you" argument, eh? Somehow it always comes down to that.

Firstly, I'm not even giving my opinion of the players, I'm simply telling you the facts of their usage and why it's relevant. Secondly, I guarantee that Torts knows far more about hockey than you do, and watches Ristolainen more than you too. I trust his opinion over mine and yours.

For the record I've never once opposed upgrading the RHD. I do oppose downgrading the RHD however, and the evidence indicates that Ristolainen is, in fact, a downgrade.

"I watch hockey..." wasn't the point of my argument, you pressed about me needing to re-jig my mindset, I don't.

Every coach in the NHL knows more than us on this site, that's the point of one of my previous posts.

What evidence, his TOI this season isn't a good indicator of his worth or his play given he was dealing with injuries the entire year.
    In what area's does Ceci perform better than Risto?
    May 1 at 9:45 a.m.

What evidence, his TOI this season isn't a good indicator of his worth or his play given he was dealing with injuries the entire year.

What evidence? Torts has reduced Ristolainen's 5v5 TOI, reduced his QoC, increased his OTF starts and cancelled his PK TOI completely.

And I don't think it's accurate to say that he's been "dealing with injuries the entire year" either. He had what they called a "body injury" early in the season and an arm injury later in the season. We can't be sure but the two don't appear to be related.
    May 1 at 9:49 a.m.

In what area's does Ceci perform better than Risto?

He's faster.

tears of joy
    May 1 at 10:14 a.m.
    What evidence? Torts has reduced Ristolainen's 5v5 TOI, reduced his QoC, increased his OTF starts and cancelled his PK TOI completely.

And I don't think it's accurate to say that he's been "dealing with injuries the entire year" either. He had what they called a "body injury" early in the season and an arm injury later in the season. We can't be sure but the two don't appear to be related.

Again, in a year he was injured, you are trying to use stats for a player in a year which he was injured...

To again circle your point against you search him the year before with Torts, his TOI increased from 17:29 a/toi to 20:28a/toi throughout the season.
    Stop using points that work DIRECTLY AGAINST your argument tears of joy

But you're right, Torts does know more than us so I will agree that Torts is right in giving more responsibility to Risto.
    May 1 at 10:19 a.m.
    He's faster.

tears of joy

And this just solidified that you actually don't know anything at all...
    You saw he's tall and went "oh he cant be fast" eh, maybe look into him a bit cause he's a better skater than Ceci.
    May 1 at 1:36 p.m.
    And this just solidified that you actually don't know anything at all...
    You saw he's tall and went "oh he cant be fast" eh, maybe look into him a bit cause he's a better skater than Ceci.

No, I saw the data showing his top skating speed.

cool
    PurpleHippo liked this.
    May 1 at 2:07 p.m.
    Again, in a year he was injured, you are trying to use stats for a player in a year which he was injured...

To again circle your point against you search him the year before with Torts, his TOI increased from 17:29 a/toi to 20:28a/toi throughout the season.
    Stop using points that work DIRECTLY AGAINST your argument tears of joy

But you're right, Torts does know more than us so I will agree that Torts is right in giving more responsibility to Risto.

If you want to go back to 22-23, at least give meaningful data.

5v5 TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 15:18 (rank: 4th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 15:15 (5th)

PP TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 0:06 (rank: 5th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 1:57 (3rd)

PK TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 0:59 (rank: 5th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 2.08 (2nd)

The last 15 games, Braun was injured so Ristolainen got a push on PK. However his PK performance was horrific so Torts didn't put him back on the PK unit at all this year.

I'm seeing no evidence that Torts trusted him more towards the end of the year than the beginning. In fact the opposite is true: his 5v5 defensive zone starts per sixty went from 13.72 at the beginning of the season to just 8.71 at the end. His QoC went from 36% TOI v Elites to just 19%.

But keep on keeping on with your narrative. I'm sure you seen him good.
    PurpleHippo liked this.
    May 1 at 2:42 p.m.
    If you want to go back to 22-23, at least give meaningful data.

5v5 TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 15:18 (rank: 4th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 15:15 (5th)

PP TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 0:06 (rank: 5th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 1:57 (3rd)

PK TOI
    Flyers first 15 games: 0:59 (rank: 5th)
    Flyers last 15 games: 2.08 (2nd)

The last 15 games, Braun was injured so Ristolainen got a push on PK. However his PK performance was horrific so Torts didn't put him back on the PK unit at all this year.

I'm seeing no evidence that Torts trusted him more towards the end of the year than the beginning. In fact the opposite is true: his 5v5 defensive zone starts per sixty went from 13.72 at the beginning of the season to just 8.71 at the end. His QoC went from 36% TOI v Elites to just 19%.

But keep on keeping on with your narrative. I'm sure you seen him good.

You proved my point again.
    This is divulging into a pointless conversation, but to note maybe look at when Ristos PK TOI increased and when Braun was injured, to go with your "narrative" comment.
    *Hint, his PK TOI increase came long before Braun was injured.

We value people differently, I would really implore you not to nit-pick stats as your sole valuation but do you, search into player evaluations at least as well.
    Risto and Ceci are fairly equal at this point, Risto was better before but took a massive step back in PHI years 1 and 2.
    The point of this ACGM is to look for an improvement, which I outline as taking on a risk of Risto regaining previous form which he has been trending towards.
    It's also within the confines of our very limited cap space and draft/prospect capital, something we need to work with.
    And even further, it's trades other teams fans are also willing to make, which is difficult to find especially on this site.

If you disagree with the move, state so and suggest alternatives or find constructiveness in the conversation.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll