Forums/Armchair-GM

Tanev and Roy

Created by: WN88
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 9, 2024
Published: May 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We need to get back to the team we were before the 22-23 season. We need to prioritize pick-possession hockey. After the habs loss it seemed evident that the organization wanted to prioritize grit and being able to “play in 2-1 games”. However, it’s clear our team has taken a massive step back due to this change in philosophy. Although we were unsuccessful in the playoffs before, I still think that high-offence, fast-paced game is best suited for our team. We need to get back to controlling the game.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
4$5,750,000
4$5,000,000
2$1,900,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2025 6th round pick (ANA)
TOR
  1. Schmaltz, Nick ($2,925,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I don’t think they do this. But it would be fun.
ARI
  1. Liljegren, Timothy [RFA Rights]
  2. Robertson, Nicholas [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,141,001$0$0$558,999
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$904,667$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
$816,667$816,667
C, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$2,925,000$2,925,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 9 at 12:42 a.m.
Numbers are unrealistic.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how we change this philosophy without moving away from the core 4. All the data shows this ingrained in the pay of Matthews/Marner.

The team has fundamentally destroyed the value of its bigger stats by teaching them to play in a way that won't win a cup.
May 9 at 12:43 a.m.
Quoting: fangm
Numbers are unrealistic.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how we change this philosophy without moving away from the core 4. All the data shows this ingrained in the pay of Matthews/Marner.

The team has fundamentally destroyed the value of its bigger stats by teaching them to play in a way that won't win a cup.

It’s impossible to move away from the core 4.
May 9 at 12:45 a.m.
Quoting: WN88
It’s impossible to move away from the core 4.

Not impossible but very hard for sure.

I'm not critical of your AGM, just saying that it feels at this stage like the problem you are mentioning (which I agree with) isn't just reflected by the choice of supporting cast but is now fundamentally ingrained into Marner/Matthews specifically and I'm not sure it's possible to change that.
May 9 at 12:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Another bad thought,,,,,,Kampf waiving to any poor team with cap. Why do Leaf fans think this is even possible? Timmins and Brodie both on the team? Keep Liljegren, keep the first and Robertson and forget about Schmaltz.
Minten and Cowan Leafs in October?
jaok3 liked this.
May 9 at 1:00 a.m.
Quoting: fangm
Not impossible but very hard for sure.

I'm not critical of your AGM, just saying that it feels at this stage like the problem you are mentioning (which I agree with) isn't just reflected by the choice of supporting cast but is now fundamentally ingrained into Marner/Matthews specifically and I'm not sure it's possible to change that.

I’ve sort of just become content with the fact that this core cannot and likely will not be changed. I still think it’s possible to build a team around Marner Nylander Matthews that wins big games. Having said that, I don’t think this team wins with Tavares. And I think the clear route forward is to just wait out this dreadful Tavares contract, officially marking the end of a wasted era, and a start of a new one more serious about winning. I’d like to clarify, I do not support the structure of allocating 40 million (or whatever it is at this point) to 4 forwards. However, I don’t think trading Marner is the best (or necessary) solution to this issue.
May 9 at 4:30 a.m.
Marner rocks
Quoting: palhal
Another bad thought,,,,,,Kampf waiving to any poor team with cap. Why do Leaf fans think this is even possible? Timmins and Brodie both on the team? Keep Liljegren, keep the first and Robertson and forget about Schmaltz.
Minten and Cowan Leafs in October?

That's a lot for a 23 goal score who has never played a full 82 games in 8 NHL seasons
May 9 at 9:41 a.m.
I’ve sort of just become content with the fact that this core cannot and likely will not be changed. I still think it’s possible to build a team around Marner Nylander Matthews that wins big games. Having said that, I don’t think this team wins with Tavares. And I think the clear route forward is to just wait out this dreadful Tavares contract, officially marking the end of a wasted era, and a start of a new one more serious about winning. I’d like to clarify, I do not support the structure of allocating 40 million (or whatever it is at this point) to 4 forwards. However, I don’t think trading Marner is the best (or necessary) solution to this issue.

I don’t really understand how a new era more serious about winning starts with an at least 12 million Marner extension. I get JTs money has weighed us down a bit too but every team has a bad contract or two. Edmonton is in the second round with Campbell 5 million in the AHL all year. Seguin and benn are probably overpaid for what they can do now.

You’d be looking at 37 million for matthews, nylander and Marner. Ya the cap is going up but I don’t understand what else this group needs to prove to get everyone on board that it doesn’t work.
I’m not even saying you couldn’t spend 35+ million on 3 forwards but not these 3.
They all have had issues underperforming at times but matthews and nylander are extended and counting in playoffs are the better players than Marner. Its time to try something else and give the team some cap flexibility.
May 9 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: rgwhite17
I don’t really understand how a new era more serious about winning starts with an at least 12 million Marner extension. I get JTs money has weighed us down a bit too but every team has a bad contract or two. Edmonton is in the second round with Campbell 5 million in the AHL all year. Seguin and benn are probably overpaid for what they can do now.

You’d be looking at 37 million for matthews, nylander and Marner. Ya the cap is going up but I don’t understand what else this group needs to prove to get everyone on board that it doesn’t work.
I’m not even saying you couldn’t spend 35+ million on 3 forwards but not these 3.
They all have had issues underperforming at times but matthews and nylander are extended and counting in playoffs are the better players than Marner. Its time to try something else and give the team some cap flexibility.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the odds Marner waives his NMC is incredibly low.

By allocating only 37 million to 3 forwards, the rest of the team may look completely different from previous years, which could somehow allow Marner to perform in the playoffs to something idk.

If I'm being honest, I just don't see a scenario where we trade Marner and become a better team. The way I see it, we're going to lose in the playoffs either way. At least by keeping Marner, I get to watch exciting hockey 3-4 times a week, lol.
May 9 at 11:35 a.m.
I know I sound like a broken record, but the odds Marner waives his NMC is incredibly low.

By allocating only 37 million to 3 forwards, the rest of the team may look completely different from previous years, which could somehow allow Marner to perform in the playoffs to something idk.

If I'm being honest, I just don't see a scenario where we trade Marner and become a better team. The way I see it, we're going to lose in the playoffs either way. At least by keeping Marner, I get to watch exciting hockey 3-4 times a week, lol.

Man I feel where you’re coming from but it’s terrible fans would feel that way.
I think a lot of people are afraid we go back to a team that can’t even make the playoffs but the base of a strong team is still there even without Marner. Over 100 points this year when Samsonov couldn’t stop anything until January and riding Martin jones in net with other injuries to the group.
A stronger goalie tandem and blue line should lead to a great regular season again even without marners 90 points. Cheaper forwards can get 50-60 points and move points can come from the blue line.
What if they traded Marner for Theodore and signed at least one of zadorov, tanev or Roy?
Still money remaining for another goalie and forwards in the 3-6 million range.
May 9 at 1:42 p.m.
Man I feel where you’re coming from but it’s terrible fans would feel that way.
I think a lot of people are afraid we go back to a team that can’t even make the playoffs but the base of a strong team is still there even without Marner. Over 100 points this year when Samsonov couldn’t stop anything until January and riding Martin jones in net with other injuries to the group.
A stronger goalie tandem and blue line should lead to a great regular season again even without marners 90 points. Cheaper forwards can get 50-60 points and move points can come from the blue line.
What if they traded Marner for Theodore and signed at least one of zadorov, tanev or Roy?
Still money remaining for another goalie and forwards in the 3-6 million range.

I still don't think our team would improve that much (if at all) if we went through with that trade. I think it's safe to say that we're just making a change for the sake of it. But I think if you look at the history of the NHL, I can't recall one time when a contending team traded a superstar in one of their best players and actually improved or came out as a winner of the trade. A lot of these proposals on this site just seem like the main intention is to get rid of Marner without actually focusing on what could actually improve our team. Obviously, most of these fans believe that just by getting rid of him, we're improving. I personally don't share that same view, but I can see why some might.
May 9 at 2:08 p.m.
I still don't think our team would improve that much (if at all) if we went through with that trade. I think it's safe to say that we're just making a change for the sake of it. But I think if you look at the history of the NHL, I can't recall one time when a contending team traded a superstar in one of their best players and actually improved or came out as a winner of the trade. A lot of these proposals on this site just seem like the main intention is to get rid of Marner without actually focusing on what could actually improve our team. Obviously, most of these fans believe that just by getting rid of him, we're improving. I personally don't share that same view, but I can see why some might.

So I wouldn’t say I view it like that. The leafs keep losing in the playoffs because they can’t score enough. And mainly because the powerplay can’t score. They need to fix that powerplay, Marner is a big part of why it’s a problem. They all are in a way but Marner is predictable and isn’t a shooting threat, neither is Rielly. Trading Marner for a d that can run Pp1 or to have money to sign one (Montour) can fix that issue.
They also give multiple games away in a series from just not being ready to play it seems. Games 1 and 4 this year. Game 3 in the second round last year. Games 2 and 4 in 2022. That has to be an issue in the room, maybe a new coach can change these things but I don’t think it will be enough.
Leafs are paying Matthews and nylander enough to drive a line each in the top 6, they shouldn’t need Marner. Spend the money to make the team deeper all around.
May 9 at 2:32 p.m.
So I wouldn’t say I view it like that. The leafs keep losing in the playoffs because they can’t score enough. And mainly because the powerplay can’t score. They need to fix that powerplay, Marner is a big part of why it’s a problem. They all are in a way but Marner is predictable and isn’t a shooting threat, neither is Rielly. Trading Marner for a d that can run Pp1 or to have money to sign one (Montour) can fix that issue.
They also give multiple games away in a series from just not being ready to play it seems. Games 1 and 4 this year. Game 3 in the second round last year. Games 2 and 4 in 2022. That has to be an issue in the room, maybe a new coach can change these things but I don’t think it will be enough.
Leafs are paying Matthews and nylander enough to drive a line each in the top 6, they shouldn’t need Marner. Spend the money to make the team deeper all around.

That's a valid opinion. I just don't see having an extra 12 million in cap guaranteeing a better team. Sure, having it all in 1 player like Marner has its downfalls, but 12 million in cap space can easily be given to like 3 mid-players or smth, idk. And I definitely don't trust Treliving with that money either, lol. Like, Kadri and Coleman together make the same amount as Marner. Can you be certain that having those two players (or players like that) would make the team substantially better now and in the future over having 1 Marner? Maybe they'll produce more in the playoffs, but I just don't see that as a guarantee.

The risk of trading Marner and getting worse outweighs the risk of keeping him and not improving, to me.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll