Forums/Armchair-GM

Keefe looks so happy to get out on his X post - Marner next

Created by: GM_SZK
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 9, 2024
Published: May 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Berube will be named the next Leafs coach on Friday...Lots could happen between now and this trade as my feeling is it will be on July 1 after bonus is paid BUT I feel like Marner's agent is working something with Washington and/or Utah and Tre and Shanaplan will disguise it in a big spin trade like this...
Trades
TOR
  1. Dowd, Nic
  2. Iorio, Vincent
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
2027 1st
WSH
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Villeneuve, William
Additional Details:
Plus prolly Liljegren rights
No extension in place
Marner happy to join Ovi and Lapierre to get Ovi to 895
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$87,700,000$58,691,667$0$0$29,008,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
Taxi Squad
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$814,167$814,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 9 at 1:29 p.m.
Not ready to give up on villenuve, he's had a decent year with the Marlies, and can be used up in the big club!
May 9 at 1:33 p.m.
That's a horrible return for MM
May 9 at 1:39 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: LeeWing
Not ready to give up on villenuve, he's had a decent year with the Marlies, and can be used up in the big club!

Ya I don't think that he is a deal breaker either way, he has zero trade value pretty much..if Liljegren is in he can come out
May 9 at 1:40 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: kous
That's a horrible return for MM

Why? Its not far off what Pittsburgh got for a rental in Guentzal who is a higher value given he is better and cheaper then TMM and is way minus the toxicity
May 9 at 1:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think it's a lot for Washington to give up. Leafs will love the additional cap space. Don't think the Leafs should be trading Liljegren when Timmins is the only NHL Dman under contract.
PS. Don't think Marner cares at all about Ovi and his goal scoring record journey.
GM_SZK liked this.
May 9 at 1:47 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: palhal
I think it's a lot for Washington to give up. Leafs will love the additional cap space. Don't think the Leafs should be trading Liljegren when Timmins is the only NHL Dman under contract.
PS. Don't think Marner cares at all about Ovi and his goal scoring record journey.

Oh wow I just had a huge laugh, you are so right, Marner only cares about Marner...I just feel like that media attention will raise his value and he, his agent, and his dad will know that
May 9 at 1:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: GM_SZK
Oh wow I just had a huge laugh, you are so right, Marner only cares about Marner...I just feel like that media attention will raise his value and he, his agent, and his dad will know that

I just don't think Marner will waive unless he has an extension in place. Otherwise he'll stay his Leafs and pad his numbers in his contract year. Of course, Washington or no teams gives the Leafs much for Marner without an extension in place.
May 9 at 1:53 p.m.
I would say that Capitals take that deal. We already have Leonard in the wings and Miro to take over for Ovi. I like that trade for us
May 9 at 2:15 p.m.
Why? Its not far off what Pittsburgh got for a rental in Guentzal who is a higher value given he is better and cheaper then TMM and is way minus the toxicity

This deal is way off in the wrong direction from Guentzal deal

MM has way more value than Guentzal. Cheaper was the only edge Guentzal had. Guentzal is not even close to the player MM is in both ends of the rink.

MM is not just a playoff rental. He is a full year and as he has a NMC will be going to a team that he will sign an 8 year extension.

A deal with the caps starts with Leonard or Miroshnichenko
May 9 at 2:17 p.m.
I too think WSH makes sense as a destination for Marner.
May 9 at 2:34 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: palhal
I just don't think Marner will waive unless he has an extension in place. Otherwise he'll stay his Leafs and pad his numbers in his contract year. Of course, Washington or no teams gives the Leafs much for Marner without an extension in place.

Ya the drama and media is publicity I guess but to me for him it makes zero sense business wise. That said MLSE can have their spin doctors spinning something as I post this.

Marner's value now seems to be a pay cut but that could change easily in 1 year to 11-12M especially after a season in Utah, Chicago or DC.
May 9 at 2:35 p.m.
Puckhead
This deal is way off in the wrong direction from Guentzal deal

MM has way more value than Guentzal. Cheaper was the only edge Guentzal had. Guentzal is not even close to the player MM is in both ends of the rink.

MM is not just a playoff rental. He is a full year and as he has a NMC will be going to a team that he will sign an 8 year extension.

A deal with the caps starts with Leonard or Miroshnichenko

Check the hands for rings and of course the playoff stats
May 9 at 2:49 p.m.
Check the hands for rings and of course the playoff stats

Playoff stats are very similar year by year Just because he has a ring does not mean he's a better player The cup is won by the TEAM

Marner is by far better offensively.

Marner the Selke nominee is light years better than him defensively.

Neither player is physical.

I wait for you to provide anything that gunzel did other than ride Sid's coat tail in the first 2 years in the league
May 9 at 2:49 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
2027 1st is a wildcard. I'd rather it just be this year's 1st at 17OA. Caps could be a lottery team or a contender in 2027 - complete coin flip.
GM_SZK liked this.
May 9 at 3:00 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: brady_t12
2027 1st is a wildcard. I'd rather it just be this year's 1st at 17OA. Caps could be a lottery team or a contender in 2027 - complete coin flip.

Ya I think I did the 2027 assuming Washington want to stack the cupboards over the next 3 drafts? And Leafs are happy to take trade capital for the next 2 TDLs.
brady_t12 liked this.
May 9 at 3:05 p.m.
Puckhead
Playoff stats are very similar year by year Just because he has a ring does not mean he's a better player The cup is won by the TEAM

Marner is by far better offensively.

Marner the Selke nominee is light years better than him defensively.

Neither player is physical.

I wait for you to provide anything that gunzel did other than ride Sid's coat tail in the first 2 years in the league

Dude what will you do with your Marner jersey? I hear Domi and McMann both want 16.

Guentzal = a hockey player who has scored HUGE goals and won two cups
Marner = cry baby who has never scored a BIG playoff goal, complains to the media, and oh ya thinks he is a God

Coattails comment is hilarious given Marner has riden coat tails better then the best of them.

Just let the poor guy move on, he desrves a new city where he can excel and get his big pay day next year.
May 9 at 3:15 p.m.
Dude what will you do with your Marner jersey? I hear Domi and McMann both want 16.

Guentzal = a hockey player who has scored HUGE goals and won two cups
Marner = cry baby who has never scored a BIG playoff goal, complains to the media, and oh ya thinks he is a God

Coattails comment is hilarious given Marner has riden coat tails better then the best of them.

Just let the poor guy move on, he desrves a new city where he can excel and get his big pay day next year.

He can move on if he waves his NMC. But the return will be way more than what you show here.

Lots of guys have CUPs does not mean they are great hockey players just on the right team at the right time Ask Kessel
May 9 at 3:20 p.m.
Puckhead
He can move on if he waves his NMC. But the return will be way more than what you show here.

Lots of guys have CUPs does not mean they are great hockey players just on the right team at the right time Ask Kessel

Throw out a potential deal, please?

Just a note: Notice I didnt say Guentzal was great I said he was a hockey player yada yada yada
May 9 at 7:08 p.m.
Throw out a potential deal, please?

Just a note: Notice I didnt say Guentzal was great I said he was a hockey player yada yada yada

I don't think Washington is a good trade partner for Marner as I think the Leaf's would ideally want someone who could step into the lineup in addition to the prospects/Picks or a Defenseman or Goaltender similar in value to MM. If thy were to trade with the CAPs the 2 trades below would be in the ball park value wise I would say

For Marner, Liljegren and Villeneuve

Leonard, Chesley and 2 x 1st

or

Strome, Chesley and a 1st
GM_SZK liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll