SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Saw this in a video got interested

Created by: kams
Published: May 13 at 1:05 p.m.
Salary Cap: $87,700,000
Season Days: 1/192 (1%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Minnesota WildMinnesota Wild

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Boldy, MatthewMinnesota WildNHL-$36,458011---75294069--
Faber, BrockWaivers ExemptMinnesota WildNHL-$4,818011---8283947--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$56,786011---69265985--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$5,924,7461936593713
Change-$15,510-1-1-1000
Final$5,909,236 (↓)18 (↓)35 (↓)58 (↓)3713-11-20-31

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$56,786011---69265985--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Boldy, MatthewMinnesota WildNHL-$36,458011---75294069--
Faber, BrockWaivers ExemptMinnesota WildNHL-$4,818011---8283947--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$18,530,333163265239
Change$15,510111000
Final$18,545,843 (↑)17 (↑)33 (↑)66 (↑)239112031
May 13 at 1:10 p.m.
Minnesota tells Toronto to get lost.
May 13 at 1:11 p.m.
Not enough characte
Ok, I know this isn’t a very realistic trade, but I saw this suggested online and I’d want to know if something could happen if this was used as a base.

For argument purposes, Marner waives to go to Minnesota and signs an extension

What needs to be added? (I’m assuming a lot)
Does Toronto retain on Marner’s last year? (Probably yes)
If Toronto only gets one of Boldy or Faber, what would trades look like then? (I’d want Faber but Boldy seems more realistic in this scenario)
May 13 at 1:14 p.m.
Not enough characte
Quoting: MoxNix
Minnesota tells Toronto to get lost.

I’m aware, I’m just putting out there something I saw in a video. I feel like only getting one is more realistic than both
May 13 at 1:16 p.m.
Goggles86
You would have to remove Boldy entirely. Marner for Faber straight up would be the starting point. And even then....MIN is a rebuilding team. They aren't likely to move the one piece they are rebuilding around.
May 13 at 1:35 p.m.
Hoo boy that is a lot..
May 13 at 2:07 p.m.
Not enough characte
Quoting: svfsdv
You would have to remove Boldy entirely. Marner for Faber straight up would be the starting point. And even then....MIN is a rebuilding team. They aren't likely to move the one piece they are rebuilding around.

I get that, I just think Minnesota is more likely to give up Boldy than Faber simply because Marner would be filling that same spot.
May 13 at 2:19 p.m.
Goggles86
Quoting: kams
I get that, I just think Minnesota is more likely to give up Boldy than Faber simply because Marner would be filling that same spot.

I agree, they would. But then there is no point in doing it for the Leafs. They dont need more wingers. Thats why it doesnt work.
kams liked this.
May 13 at 2:51 p.m.
Wayne glenskyisaGOAT
What video? Just for faber would maybe happen but even that is a bit much
May 13 at 6:09 p.m.
Not enough characte
Quoting: iggy12rocks
What video? Just for faber would maybe happen but even that is a bit much

Just in case the link didn’t work. 2bcproductions2bc on YouTube. He’s not an insider by any means, it seems more like a fan suggestion than anything else.

It worked in nhl gm mode, but that means absolutely nothing
iggy12rocks liked this.
May 13 at 6:11 p.m.
Not enough characte
Quoting: svfsdv
I agree, they would. But then there is no point in doing it for the Leafs. They dont need more wingers. Thats why it doesnt work.

Yes the leafs have a lot of wingers, but none who are as young as Boldy with his upside. Knies and Robertson are the same age range but neither of them have the same ceiling as Boldy imo
May 13 at 6:26 p.m.

Just in case the link didn’t work. 2bcproductions2bc on YouTube. He’s not an insider by any means, it seems more like a fan suggestion than anything else.

It worked in nhl gm mode, but that means absolutely nothing

I would recommend not following said youtuber anymore...
May 13 at 7:20 p.m.
Not enough characte
Quoting: TCBalow87
I would recommend not following said youtuber anymore...

Why? He’s an entertainer, not meant to be take too seriously.
I was just interested by the Minnesota trade idea because when Marner’s extension would kick in is the same time where the dead cap penalty for Parise/Suter buyouts drops from over $14 mill to $1.6 mill
May 13 at 8:17 p.m.
Why? He’s an entertainer, not meant to be take too seriously.
I was just interested by the Minnesota trade idea because when Marner’s extension would kick in is the same time where the dead cap penalty for Parise/Suter buyouts drops from over $14 mill to $1.6 mill

Because this is absolute blasphemy, that's why!
May 13 at 8:32 p.m.
Not enough characte
Because this is absolute blasphemy, that's why!

Ok, I see you’re a wild fan, so you’re actually who I want to talk to
1. Would you consider trading for Marner to begin with (disregarding if Boldy or Faber are in it)
2. If this trade is used as a base, what else would you want for either Boldy or Faber (or both)
3. I’m not trying to start a fight, this is all for fun, I just want to see this suggestion from your point of view and maybe any counter proposals you’d have
May 13 at 8:41 p.m.
Ok, I see you’re a wild fan, so you’re actually who I want to talk to
1. Would you consider trading for Marner to begin with (disregarding if Boldy or Faber are in it)
2. If this trade is used as a base, what else would you want for either Boldy or Faber (or both)
3. I’m not trying to start a fight, this is all for fun, I just want to see this suggestion from your point of view

1. I would consider trading for Marner ONLY if it's made clear Kaprizov plans to go UFA.
2. Honestly, I don't think Marner would get either one straight up. Boldy is a 23 year old 1st line winger, who is trending towards similar numbers and defensive ability as Marner for way cheaper. Faber is a soon to be 22 year old #1 RHD (and one of us!) who, yes, is about to get PAID. But you do not trade a #1 D for any winger IMO. Any trade from a Wild perspective won't be swapping out their "cornerstone" players for similar and older ones. (Not to mention the fact that Marner makes 11+ and will likely want as much or more on his next contract. If we're gonna have a 12+ million dollar winger, it's Kaprizov)
3. Yeah I came off a bit harsh but if I've learned anything about this site it's that every trade thread is going to bring criticism from fans of every team haha.
kams liked this.
May 13 at 9:02 p.m.
Not enough characte
1. I would consider trading for Marner ONLY if it's made clear Kaprizov plans to go UFA.
2. Honestly, I don't think Marner would get either one straight up. Boldy is a 23 year old 1st line winger, who is trending towards similar numbers and defensive ability as Marner for way cheaper. Faber is a soon to be 22 year old #1 RHD (and one of us!) who, yes, is about to get PAID. But you do not trade a #1 D for any winger IMO. Any trade from a Wild perspective won't be swapping out their "cornerstone" players for similar and older ones. (Not to mention the fact that Marner makes 11+ and will likely want as much or more on his next contract. If we're gonna have a 12+ million dollar winger, it's Kaprizov)
3. Yeah I came off a bit harsh but if I've learned anything about this site it's that every trade thread is going to bring criticism from fans of every team haha.

Honestly all fair points (especially that last one lol)

Something that is brought up in the video I saw is that Minnesota might find it appealing to pair up Kaprizov and Marner, which seems like a good idea from an outsiders perspective.
I’ve mentioned this a couple times already, but Marner’s extension wouldn’t kick in until the majority of the dead cap from Parise and Suter is off the books, which I feel makes things more likely that it’s a trade with an extension if he does go to the Wild. (But if this trade doesn’t happen I could still see them taking a big swing at Marner in FA)

Ok, so say to begin it’s Marner and Boldy OR Faber, we know this wouldn’t be straight up but that’s where it starts, if I’m the leafs and I’m not getting the other one too, I’d want a 2nd or 3rd round pick for next years draft included at the bare minimum. (No picks until round 5
What else would you want to see the Wild get? And what would change if the Leafs retain some money on his current deal (if anything)?
I just want to see how realistic we could make this deal
May 13 at 9:27 p.m.
Honestly all fair points (especially that last one lol)

Something that is brought up in the video I saw is that Minnesota might find it appealing to pair up Kaprizov and Marner, which seems like a good idea from an outsiders perspective.
I’ve mentioned this a couple times already, but Marner’s extension wouldn’t kick in until the majority of the dead cap from Parise and Suter is off the books, which I feel makes things more likely that it’s a trade with an extension if he does go to the Wild. (But if this trade doesn’t happen I could still see them taking a big swing at Marner in FA)

Ok, so say to begin it’s Marner and Boldy OR Faber, we know this wouldn’t be straight up but that’s where it starts, if I’m the leafs and I’m not getting the other one too, I’d want a 2nd or 3rd round pick for next years draft included at the bare minimum. (No picks until round 5
What else would you want to see the Wild get? And what would change if the Leafs retain some money on his current deal (if anything)?
I just want to see how realistic we could make this deal

Honestly, the fit just does not make sense for Minnesota. They have a younger version of Marner in Boldy, who is already paired with Kaprizov and they are sooooo good together. If they are going to spend big, whether in terms of trade assets or a big chunk of cap space in UFA (or both), it's going to be for a center (there's 2 pretty good ones in EDM that may eventually ask out if they don't see a cup in their near future). Don't get me wrong, Marner is a hell of a player, but the difference between him and Boldy is not 5 million (assuming he wants to get to 12). They have Boldy firmly entrenched as a top line winger for at least 6 more years, when he still won't be 30. Whereas you'd be getting Marner for more money and into his mid-30s.

Faber is an absolute non-starter for Marner. Not at all putting him in the same category as Makar, but that's our future captain #1D for the next 15 years. Think Colorado would entertain a package of Marner ++ for Makar? Because I sure don't. This is just an instance of wrong player to the wrong team. No doubt Marner will do well wherever he goes, I just can't see it being here.

Side note that I fully admit I'm not super dialed in on, but I've read more than one piece talking about how Marner's dad is a tough guy to deal with. Guerin absolutely does not put up with that kind of thing, as evidenced by the buyout of Suter. Which yeah, may be completely different circumstances but a parent causing a fuss over his adult professional athlete son ain't gonna fly here haha.
kams liked this.
May 13 at 10:00 p.m.
Not enough characte
Honestly, the fit just does not make sense for Minnesota. They have a younger version of Marner in Boldy, who is already paired with Kaprizov and they are sooooo good together. If they are going to spend big, whether in terms of trade assets or a big chunk of cap space in UFA (or both), it's going to be for a center (there's 2 pretty good ones in EDM that may eventually ask out if they don't see a cup in their near future). Don't get me wrong, Marner is a hell of a player, but the difference between him and Boldy is not 5 million (assuming he wants to get to 12). They have Boldy firmly entrenched as a top line winger for at least 6 more years, when he still won't be 30. Whereas you'd be getting Marner for more money and into his mid-30s.

Faber is an absolute non-starter for Marner. Not at all putting him in the same category as Makar, but that's our future captain #1D for the next 15 years. Think Colorado would entertain a package of Marner ++ for Makar? Because I sure don't. This is just an instance of wrong player to the wrong team. No doubt Marner will do well wherever he goes, I just can't see it being here.

Side note that I fully admit I'm not super dialed in on, but I've read more than one piece talking about how Marner's dad is a tough guy to deal with. Guerin absolutely does not put up with that kind of thing, as evidenced by the buyout of Suter. Which yeah, may be completely different circumstances but a parent causing a fuss over his adult professional athlete son ain't gonna fly here haha.

Fair enough, thanks for your input

(Yeah, Leafland isn’t a big fan of Paul Marner either)
May 13 at 10:48 p.m.
Fair enough, thanks for your input

(Yeah, Leafland isn’t a big fan of Paul Marner either)

Heck yeah good talk after I stopped being rudetears of joy

IMO a team like Anaheim or Chicago would do well to add Marner. He'd be NASTY next to Bedard/Carlsson/McTavish. But it would be the death of Wild fans to see the Hawks come back to the top already...we've seen enough of them for 3 lifetimes.
May 14 at 1:43 a.m.
Not enough characte
Heck yeah good talk after I stopped being rudetears of joy

IMO a team like Anaheim or Chicago would do well to add Marner. He'd be NASTY next to Bedard/Carlsson/McTavish. But it would be the death of Wild fans to see the Hawks come back to the top already...we've seen enough of them for 3 lifetimes.

It’s way more fun here when people are kind, and I must say you do know hockey

I’m not the biggest fan of trading with Anaheim. I’d want something like Mintyukov/Zellweger + pick to begin considering it and even then I just get this gut feeling that it won’t turn out well for the Leafs (it’s right more often than not)

Chicago, the only one on that roster that really appeals to me is Korchinski, which seems like the whole Faber situation again just at a lower level… although Kyle Davidson has made seemingly dumb trades with the leafs before, so theirs hope lol
May 14 at 4:16 a.m.
It’s way more fun here when people are kind, and I must say you do know hockey

I’m not the biggest fan of trading with Anaheim. I’d want something like Mintyukov/Zellweger + pick to begin considering it and even then I just get this gut feeling that it won’t turn out well for the Leafs (it’s right more often than not)

Chicago, the only one on that roster that really appeals to me is Korchinski, which seems like the whole Faber situation again just at a lower level… although Kyle Davidson has made seemingly dumb trades with the leafs before, so theirs hope lol

Yeah as much as I try to keep a pulse on the rest of the league, it's tough to figure out the pecking order that other teams put their players in. Both might be too far away from contention to have the pieces Toronto would want, but they were just the first two that came to mind that have young elite centers that I think Marner would mesh well with.
May 15 at 3:15 p.m.
Goggles86
Yes the leafs have a lot of wingers, but none who are as young as Boldy with his upside. Knies and Robertson are the same age range but neither of them have the same ceiling as Boldy imo

Knies does. But again. Not the point. Leafs dont need wingers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll