SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Marner for Saros

Created by: Goal_Dancers
Published: May 15 at 12:30 p.m.
Salary Cap: $87,500,000
Season Days: 192/192 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because one of the teams does not meet the minimum 3 goaltender requirement

Logo of the Nashville PredatorsNashville Predators

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Saros, JuuseNashville PredatorsNHL-$5,000,000011-------00
Tomasino, PhilipWaivers ExemptNashville PredatorsMinor-$0011---0000--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Nashville PredatorsNSH)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL25%$8,177,250011---0000--
2027 3rd round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---010------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$19,095,8011631714711
Change-$3,177,25000-1-110
Final$15,918,551 (↓)163170 (↓)3 (↓)8 (↑)11000

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL25%$8,177,250011---0000--
2027 3rd round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---010------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Saros, JuuseNashville PredatorsNHL-$5,000,000011-------00
Tomasino, PhilipWaivers ExemptNashville PredatorsMinor-$0011---0000--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Nashville PredatorsNSH)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$18,330,333163265239
Change$3,177,2500011-10
Final$21,507,583 (↑)163266 (↑)3 (↑)2 (↓)9000
May 15 at 12:52 p.m.
Nope, but what you can have for Marner is a package of futures to send elsewhere for the goalie you desire.
May 15 at 1:27 p.m.
Goggles86
No chance the Leafs retain salary. That would defeat the whole purpose. If anything, they would be asking NASH to retain on Saros.
May 15 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Nope, but what you can have for Marner is a package of futures to send elsewhere for the goalie you desire.

you have the same comment in a bunch of threads. I am curious if you think Nashville should trade for Marner and what you think Nashville should trade for him. I think there's probably a version where Nashville has a lot of really solid middle of the lineup type forward prospects, so if they can compile some of those guys with some picks and maybe the Leafs want like Fabbro or Lauzon or even McDonagh in a weird version and then the Leafs move some of that stuff to Calgary for Markstrom or Anaheim for Gibson but I'm curious what you actually think other than your copy and pasted comment lol.
May 15 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: svfsdv
No chance the Leafs retain salary. That would defeat the whole purpose. If anything, they would be asking NASH to retain on Saros.

In a version of the trade like this one, I think there is a chance we retain. It's only for 1 year so if you clear 3 million instead of 5 million, is that not worth it if that's what it took to get the right package?
May 15 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: McJoe7
you have the same comment in a bunch of threads. I am curious if you think Nashville should trade for Marner and what you think Nashville should trade for him. I think there's probably a version where Nashville has a lot of really solid middle of the lineup type forward prospects, so if they can compile some of those guys with some picks and maybe the Leafs want like Fabbro or Lauzon or even McDonagh in a weird version and then the Leafs move some of that stuff to Calgary for Markstrom or Anaheim for Gibson but I'm curious what you actually think other than your copy and pasted comment lol.

Fair enough, I'm just tired of the same Saros/Marner posts so I figured I'd just copy and paste the same comment so eventually it might sink in.

I would make an offer for Marner for sure, I'd even be interested in JT (50% retained). I would include the 2024 1st but not interested in paying Marners bonus so would have to be after July 1 meaning no 2024 picks. I'd look at any combination of:

2025 1st(s)/picks, Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, Wood Glass (I know he's not a future but Glass + for JT retained I think could work to save TOR money and garner some assets), Lauzon (I think he's the kind of defender TOR could use on the back end). Most/all of these guys are young enough to continue to develop and would help fill out the rest of the Leafs roster without loading all the money into 4 players. Plus the rest of what won't be deployed can be flipped for a goaltender from a rebuilding/retooling team and maybe another defender.

I'd include Fabbro here as well but I'm hoping Trotz makes a hail mary with CGY for Andersson with him and the 2024 1st++.

The goalie succession of Saros/Askarov lines up perfectly with both having 1 year remaining giving Askarov the year to learn directly under Saros and potentially overtake him naturally. I feel that, at the bare minimum, Nashville needs to start the season with both Saros and Askarov for this very reason.

If Nashville could bring in Marner, 50% JT, & Andersson this offseason using mostly the futures assets we currently possess I would be ecstatic. We would deplete plenty of our assets making these moves but would make us much stronger going into next season and possibly the subsequent seasons that follow.

Does this satisfy your curiosity? lol
May 15 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Fair enough, I'm just tired of the same Saros/Marner posts so I figured I'd just copy and paste the same comment so eventually it might sink in.

I would make an offer for Marner for sure, I'd even be interested in JT (50% retained). I would include the 2024 1st but not interested in paying Marners bonus so would have to be after July 1 meaning no 2024 picks. I'd look at any combination of:

2025 1st(s)/picks, Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, Wood Glass (I know he's not a future but Glass + for JT retained I think could work to save TOR money and garner some assets), Lauzon (I think he's the kind of defender TOR could use on the back end). Most/all of these guys are young enough to continue to develop and would help fill out the rest of the Leafs roster without loading all the money into 4 players. Plus the rest of what won't be deployed can be flipped for a goaltender from a rebuilding/retooling team and maybe another defender.

I'd include Fabbro here as well but I'm hoping Trotz makes a hail mary with CGY for Andersson with him and the 2024 1st++.

The goalie succession of Saros/Askarov lines up perfectly with both having 1 year remaining giving Askarov the year to learn directly under Saros and potentially overtake him naturally. I feel that, at the bare minimum, Nashville needs to start the season with both Saros and Askarov for this very reason.

If Nashville could bring in Marner, 50% JT, & Andersson this offseason using mostly the futures assets we currently possess I would be ecstatic. We would deplete plenty of our assets making these moves but would make us much stronger going into next season and possibly the subsequent seasons that follow.

Does this satisfy your curiosity? lol

It does. Its a very good answer. I'm not sure it does you a lot of good to give up too many of Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, and Wood. They aren't all going to pan out so if you give too many of them up, you gotta guess right.

I don't think JT's getting traded at 50%. He's the captain, he's from Toronto, and he has little kids, I think its more likely he signs more of a sweetheart deal next year than he gets traded for 10 cents on the dollar with retention.

And I guess my only other question is, in that scenario, are you happier losing Saros for nothing as an FA next offseason after Askarov takes his job or trading him now and hoping Askarov takes the job? They're definitely both risky, especially when I lay them out like that. And you don't typically get very much for a goalie at the deadline. Buffalo getting Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd for Ryan Miller is probably the ceiling for a Saros trade. I don't even know if you're wrong, but I bet the difference in Saros trades now vs getting something like Talbot, Grundstrom, a prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd from LA is worth losing Saros for nothing and getting longer to evaluate whether you need to have both of them? I don't know. I wish the Leafs were in a position where we had to decide between keeping 2 potentially elite goaltenders or trading one of them lol.
May 15 at 3:31 p.m.
Goggles86
In a version of the trade like this one, I think there is a chance we retain. It's only for 1 year so if you clear 3 million instead of 5 million, is that not worth it if that's what it took to get the right package?

No, because the whole purpose of that money is to upgrade your defense. What are you going to upgrade for 3m? Keep in mind you are also only getting Saros for a single year too. Then he wants 10m a season to stay in TO. If I am NASH, Im feeling a lot better about signing a 28 year old winger for 11m a season long term. Than a 31 year old goalie to 8 or 9m long term lol And Toronto would have to pay the Canadian premium to keep Saros.
May 15 at 5:33 p.m.
It does. Its a very good answer. I'm not sure it does you a lot of good to give up too many of Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, and Wood. They aren't all going to pan out so if you give too many of them up, you gotta guess right.

I don't think JT's getting traded at 50%. He's the captain, he's from Toronto, and he has little kids, I think its more likely he signs more of a sweetheart deal next year than he gets traded for 10 cents on the dollar with retention.

And I guess my only other question is, in that scenario, are you happier losing Saros for nothing as an FA next offseason after Askarov takes his job or trading him now and hoping Askarov takes the job? They're definitely both risky, especially when I lay them out like that. And you don't typically get very much for a goalie at the deadline. Buffalo getting Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd for Ryan Miller is probably the ceiling for a Saros trade. I don't even know if you're wrong, but I bet the difference in Saros trades now vs getting something like Talbot, Grundstrom, a prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd from LA is worth losing Saros for nothing and getting longer to evaluate whether you need to have both of them? I don't know. I wish the Leafs were in a position where we had to decide between keeping 2 potentially elite goaltenders or trading one of them lol.

100%, I wasn't implying that we move all of them in this scenario but more-so that a combination of some of them should equate to enough value and interest to get the deal done.

I don't imagine either player gets moved due to their NMC's tbh, there's a reason they required those clauses in the contracts they were willing to sign. But if they were made available I would imagine any team looking at JT would want retention on that contract. JT would almost guaranteed be a rental so he could still sign back in Toronto next year and not have to uproot the family. You're right with 10 cents on the dollar as I don't see his value being super high but still good enough to warrant a return.

Imo I'm okay with keeping Saros and potentially losing him for nothing in FA at this point. He was one of the biggest reasons we were relevant this season to begin with so if we make improvements and keep him we can (hypothetically) only get better. Worst case scenario the team falls off and we move Saros during the season/at the deadline for whatever return the market dictates but at least we made a swing and gave Askarov some proper mentorship. That in itself should pay off in spades long term. I just don't see Nashville and Trotz going with the trade Saros route with Josi, Forsberg, ROR not getting any younger yet still being productive enough to be competitive. Adding a couple bigger pieces, at the expense of some of our wealth of futures, makes the most sense to me right now and for the short term future.
McJoe7 liked this.
May 16 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: svfsdv
No, because the whole purpose of that money is to upgrade your defense. What are you going to upgrade for 3m? Keep in mind you are also only getting Saros for a single year too. Then he wants 10m a season to stay in TO. If I am NASH, Im feeling a lot better about signing a 28 year old winger for 11m a season long term. Than a 31 year old goalie to 8 or 9m long term lol And Toronto would have to pay the Canadian premium to keep Saros.

I mean, right now, they have 18 ish million in cap space, if something like that gets a trade done that you want (I'm just saying in theory because I don't think that this is that trade) is there really a huge difference between 21 million and 23 million? You can still probably sign 2 of Pesce, Tanev, Zadorov, Skjei, maybe even Montour if he hits free agency. Having that extra space maybe changes the math a little bit but I don't think it should be ruled out.
May 16 at 1:14 p.m.
Goggles86
I mean, right now, they have 18 ish million in cap space, if something like that gets a trade done that you want (I'm just saying in theory because I don't think that this is that trade) is there really a huge difference between 21 million and 23 million? You can still probably sign 2 of Pesce, Tanev, Zadorov, Skjei, maybe even Montour if he hits free agency. Having that extra space maybe changes the math a little bit but I don't think it should be ruled out.

Again no, because the trade was for Saros. Who the Leafs cannot keep. So you are essentially suggesting trading Marner for a one year shot at a cup. Then the whole thing collapses because you cant afford Saros anymore. Id rather trade Marner for nothing, than for a contract you cannot afford to pay lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll