Its not happening leaf fans

Created by: Ennis
Team: 2023-24 Nashville Predators
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2024
Published: May 16, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NSH
    “We’ll be in talks,” Trotz said. “I’m sure it’s not going to be definitely a July 1 announcement, probably. I think it’s going to be a process with his people, his representatives. But I do know this: [Saros] wants to be here, and he’s been a big part of it. I’d like him to be here, so we’re going to work hard at getting something done with him.”

Saros agreed with Trotz, saying that he wants to remain with the Predators for the remainder of his career.

“It’s a great city,” he said. “We have unbelievable fans, and I think as an organization we took a good step this year, too. I believe in this organization, so obviously I would be happy to [sign].”
    TOR
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$82,329,199$0$82,500$1,170,801
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,857,143$2,857,143
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $797,500$797,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $3,185,000$3,185,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,059,000$9,059,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 16 at 3:28 p.m.
    As a leafs fan I really hope it doesn’t. I don’t think Saaros is a goalie who can lead a team deep into the playoffs
    KingExLeafs liked this.
    May 16 at 3:31 p.m.
    My question is what is their plan with Askarov? He seems ready for a bigger role than an AHL goaltender. Do they potentially move him to the NHL roster and trade Lankinen or do they let him have another season as one of the best goaltender's in the AHL
    NHLfan10506 liked this.
    May 16 at 3:34 p.m.
    Quoting: Logicalicesports
    My question is what is their plan with Askarov? He seems ready for a bigger role than an AHL goaltender. Do they potentially move him to the NHL roster and trade Lankinen or do they let him have another season as one of the best goaltender's in the AHL

Ideally, you keep Lankinen and give Askarov more NHL games. Ease him into it and give him the time he needs to develop. If Saros is signed long term, you can still flip him later down the line. People forget that just because Saros extends doesn't mean we can't move him 2-3 years later (unless he has some sort of clause).

Or, we use Askarov as trade bait
    May 16 at 3:34 p.m.
    Quoting: SNipeSHowInc
    As a leafs fan I really hope it doesn’t. I don’t think Saaros is a goalie who can lead a team deep into the playoffs

Saros has done his best year in and year out to try and take this team deep in the playoffs, but our scoring woes continually holds us back. Whether you think he can or can't, he'd immediately be the best goalie the leafs have had in the modern NHL.

This year alone he was one of the best goalies in the first round. 3.5 GSAx and 2.02 GAA. He's never been the problem in the playoffs
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    May 16 at 3:36 p.m.
    Tank it baby

I'd take Saros over Woll.
    OldNYIfan and RobThomForVezina liked this.
    May 16 at 3:36 p.m.
    you dont draft a goalie in the top 15 for him not to be your goalie
    May 16 at 3:37 p.m.
    Quoting: Herb_Brooks
    you dont draft a goalie in the top 15 for him not to be your goalie

That makes him perfect trade bait. Trotz has already shopped him around before.

People also forget we can still trade Saros 2-3 years down the line.
    nativewulf liked this.
    May 16 at 3:47 p.m.
    Quoting: nativewulf
    Saros has done his best year in and year out to try and take this team deep in the playoffs, but our scoring woes continually holds us back. Whether you think he can or can't, he'd immediately be the best goalie the leafs have had in the modern NHL.

This year alone he was one of the best goalies in the first round. 3.5 GSAx and 2.02 GAA. He's never been the problem in the playoffs

Does that not sound exactly like the Leafs problems too though lol? Can’t score and Woll provided excellent goaltending
    May 16 at 3:49 p.m.
    Quoting: SharkTank
    I'd take Saros over Woll.

If Woll stays healthy (so big if) I take Woll, he’s cheaper and quite frankly bigger. I don’t love that Saaros is under 6 ft tall, my mind won’t be changed on his size being a factor
    May 16 at 3:52 p.m.
    Tank it baby
    If Woll stays healthy (so big if) I take Woll, he’s cheaper and quite frankly bigger. I don’t love that Saaros is under 6 ft tall, my mind won’t be changed on his size being a factor

That's your funeral. 😬
    RobThomForVezina liked this.
    May 16 at 3:52 p.m.
    Quoting: SharkTank
    That's your funeral. 😬

cool
    May 16 at 3:57 p.m.
    Does that not sound exactly like the Leafs problems too though lol? Can’t score and Woll provided excellent goaltending

Nowhere did I say the Leafs should trade for Saros, nor did I say he would solve y'alls playoff problems. I'm simply pointing out he's a good goalie, and capable of leading a team deep in the playoffs because I believe your first comment was misguided.

My sister is a Leafs fan. I tell her all the time Woll is a stud, and if you all could insulate him better he could really develop into something special, or at the very least an above average starter.
    May 16 at 3:57 p.m.
    My guess on how Trotz probably wants it to play out

1. Extend Saros in July 2024
    2. Askorov earns starters gig in 2024-25
    3. Saros traded before July 1, 2025 (before new contract, NTC kick in)

Saros could ask for NTC to be added for 2024-25, the final year of his current deal. The current CBA allows for extended players to add NTC protection before their extension starts (as long as they are eligible, which applies to Saros). If Saros is asking for this…it could be the wrench in the plan above.
    Ennis liked this.
    May 16 at 3:59 p.m.
    Quoting: Ennis
    Ideally, you keep Lankinen and give Askarov more NHL games. Ease him into it and give him the time he needs to develop. If Saros is signed long term, you can still flip him later down the line. People forget that just because Saros extends doesn't mean we can't move him 2-3 years later (unless he has some sort of clause).

Or, we use Askarov as trade bait

See comment above.

Saros doesn’t currently have no trade protection for 2024-25, but it can be added once he extends.
    May 16 at 4:07 p.m.

Woll is too inconsistent and literally has 39 career NHL games played lol. Big risk factor.

Size isn't really a factor when you have a career .917
    May 16 at 4:09 p.m.
    I hope Saros does re-sign, but until it's a done deal, there's still the chance of a trade (whether that be to the Leafs or elsewhere) if negotiations don't go too well.
    May 16 at 4:14 p.m.
    Woll is too inconsistent and literally has 39 career NHL games played lol. Big risk factor.

Size isn't really a factor when you have a career .917

For the kind of defense Treliving is trying to build it probably will be. With the luck the Leafs have, even if Saros is great in the playoffs, the one goal that will cost them the series would probably be because he's screened by his defenders.

Woll has been consistently good, his numbers just took a dive because he was struggling when he returned from his injury. His biggest obstacle is staying healthy.
    May 16 at 4:16 p.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    For the kind of defense Treliving is trying to build it probably will be. With the luck the Leafs have, even if Saros is great in the playoffs, the one goal that will cost them the series would probably be because he's screened by his defenders.

Seems like that's kind of grasping at straws. Juice is a great goalie, big or small defenders in front of him.

Either way, it's all moot because I'm happy to keep him
    nativewulf liked this.
    May 16 at 5:17 p.m.
    Seems like that's kind of grasping at straws. Juice is a great goalie, big or small defenders in front of him.

Either way, it's all moot because I'm happy to keep him

I'm not denying that he's a great goalie, but I don't think the solution for the Leafs getting "goalied" is to get a better goalie when they are typically getting eliminated in close winner take all games. There is merit to adding him though considering that the only teams that make it from the East in recent years are those with top-goalies (Bobrovsky could be seen as the exception or can consider it as him regaining form).

I don't think either team gets much better with the swap without several additional moves.
    May 16 at 5:21 p.m.
    Great! I hope the midget goalie stays put.
    May 16 at 9:17 p.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    I'm not denying that he's a great goalie, but I don't think the solution for the Leafs getting "goalied" is to get a better goalie when they are typically getting eliminated in close winner take all games. There is merit to adding him though considering that the only teams that make it from the East in recent years are those with top-goalies (Bobrovsky could be seen as the exception or can consider it as him regaining form).

I don't think either team gets much better with the swap without several additional moves.

As someone who lives in Toronto and frequently follows the team + literally goes to playoff games… they need goaltending. Not saying it’s Saros, but they need goaltending.

When your solution to Sammy sucking and Woll being injured is Martin Jones… you’re screwed. They’ve lacked a genuine starter for years.

They’ve scrounged the bargain bin for years in hopes to find someone that can be a genuine starter. Hasn’t worked.
    May 16 at 9:18 p.m.
    Quoting: scko
    Great! I hope the midget goalie stays put.

I hope so too! His career .917 fairs well here!

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll