Nov 19, 2016
2nd Favourite Team
Posts per Day
On face value alone, this is an overpayment for AAV. But we all know how important center depth is, and the alternative to him leaving is just a nightmare for the Caps. But there are a few reasons why I think this makes sense.
1. Backstrom has been criminally underpaid for years. Now I know that isn't a reason to go out and overpay someone, but Backstrom and the organization have had a great relationship, so I don't mind it.
2. Given that Holtby's gone next season, we'll have the cap space to still improve our roster next season. I'd be more worried about making sure there's money for the contracts for Ovechkin, Vrana and Samsonov.
3. I think because this number starts with a 9, it's throwing a lot of people off. If he was supposed to get, let's say $8.5M, are we really complaining about a $700K overpayment? It's the same deal with the Kevin Hayes contract.
4. Look at recent center contracts for #1 centers. Seguin signed at a bargain under 10. Matt Duchene was signed to be a 1C at $8M per. Is Backstrom not right between those two? Given his point production and excellent two way play, this is worth while.
5. This team is trying to win. It's easier to work around the edges than leave a gaping hole down the middle while losing one of the franchise cornerstones over $700K.