SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 18 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I wonder how hard it would be to acquire Necas? It seems like a value challenge:

His performance combined with his size means there’s gonna be interest. Hard to pass on him. Excellent winger to add to a deep team.

But if he’s only looking at premium offensive minutes, Carolina kinda has to value him as if he were a premium contributor…cause that’s what the buyer thinks they’re buying and what the skater thinks they are.

But he isn’t that …. Yet. I’d say he’s a positive contributing top 6 winger, but he isn’t the guy who would automatically get premium minutes over his peers without question . But his age and next contract are very appealing if he is…

Kinda like he might be too expensive to trade? Or that the cost plus the risk gets too high to do the deal? If Carolina does believe he could put up 80-100 points in a different system they can’t give him away cheap, right? There’s a lot of upside but a lot of questions. Really seems like hockey trade situation and I’m struggling to find the magical fit. Who knows - no clue what their front office is planning. I wouldn’t be upset if my team took a shot at him but I would if they paid a super premium to do so.

Necas has the skill of an 80-100 pt player. His hockey sense is lacking which is why he’ll never do it
May 18 at 1:08 p.m.
Stars Dynasty Begins
So close to seeing my dream Stanley Cup Final of the Stars vs. Rangers. Hoping that is what ends up happening. My favorite and 2nd favorite team. Dallas last won exactly 25 years ago and NYR last won exactly 30 years ago. Would be amazing to see that final.
May 18 at 2:32 p.m.
LIVIN ON A PRAYER
Quoting: kdawg32086
So close to seeing my dream Stanley Cup Final of the Stars vs. Rangers. Hoping that is what ends up happening. My favorite and 2nd favorite team. Dallas last won exactly 25 years ago and NYR last won exactly 30 years ago. Would be amazing to see that final.

Likely the second-most desirable scenario for the league in terms of viewership. I would think a Florida-Vancouver final would be dismal in terms of ratings.

If I can't have an EDM/NYR final (probably the biggest draw they could have audience-wise), I'd tolerate a DAL/NYR final.
May 18 at 2:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I just get this feeling no matter what happens tonight between EDM vs. Van

EDM next year is gonna trade for Ullmark due to Skinners playoff issues
May 18 at 3:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
I just get this feeling no matter what happens tonight between EDM vs. Van

EDM next year is gonna trade for Ullmark due to Skinners playoff issues

Linus "Career .887 playoff save percentage" Ullmark btw
yikes liked this.
May 18 at 3:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 18 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Linus "Career .887 playoff save percentage" Ullmark btw

Remember though in the FLA series he was playing hurt last year

While the numbers aint amazing feel in EDM he would do fine or heck at least better then what we seeing from Skinner

Like the mans lost is job to Pickard of all guys
May 18 at 5:01 p.m.
Stars Dynasty Begins
Which playoff teams does everyone think is gonna make a trade for a goalie in the offseason?
May 18 at 5:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Which playoff teams does everyone think is gonna make a trade for a goalie in the offseason?

Sounds like Toronto will be in the market for a goalie
May 18 at 5:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

So if I go by teams in general including playoff teams rn its

TOR
EDM
NJ
COL
LA

TOR is mainly due to the health of Woll the rest its due to inconsistencies with their goalies/not having a guy

Markstrom, Gibson, Saros, etc all about to become very enticing especially considering the goalie market this summer sucks
May 18 at 5:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Sounds like Toronto will be in the market for a goalie

Gimmie one of Saros, Saros or Saros with a side of Saros pls

Would also not be opposed to Sorokin
May 18 at 7:36 p.m.
I wonder if one of you all get a Binnington. His full NTC drops July 1st.

In the back of my mind when I see veterans go to IIHF events I can’t help but think they’re auditioning for a different job. Except for some individuals from foreign countries because they’re far away from home and I think that changes how important it could be. But a guy like binnington gets to hear the Canadian anthem 20 something games a season, and it’s vacation time, so I wonder if he’s tryin to show some other gms what he’s got.
May 18 at 8:04 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I wonder if one of you all get a Binnington. His full NTC drops July 1st.

In the back of my mind when I see veterans go to IIHF events I can’t help but think they’re auditioning for a different job. Except for some individuals from foreign countries because they’re far away from home and I think that changes how important it could be. But a guy like binnington gets to hear the Canadian anthem 20 something games a season, and it’s vacation time, so I wonder if he’s tryin to show some other gms what he’s got.

Binnington would look great either in EDM or TOR
May 18 at 8:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 18 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
Binnington would look great either in EDM or TOR

After watching him in the IIHF WC and past years no no just no

EDM all yours

Gimmie Saros all day every day
May 18 at 9:44 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
That’s really not roughing on Garland, how can you call that but not the Bouchard-Miller scrum earlier
May 18 at 11:09 p.m.
I make typos
Good game, 5 5v5 goals for the “pp merchants” is nice
May 19 at 12:10 a.m.

Of playoff teams it seems that there are 3 in the market for starters and 2 for backups.
LA
Toronto
Edmonton (if they can free up space)

Boston (if they move Ullmark, I could see them getting a veteran 1B)
Winnipeg (if they don't re-sign Brossoit will need a B/U)

But there are also a few good UFA's to consider too: Brossoit, Nedeljkovic, Lankinen
May 19 at 2:22 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Of playoff teams it seems that there are 3 in the market for starters and 2 for backups.
LA
Toronto
Edmonton (if they can free up space)

Boston (if they move Ullmark, I could see them getting a veteran 1B)
Winnipeg (if they don't re-sign Brossoit will need a B/U)

But there are also a few good UFA's to consider too: Brossoit, Nedeljkovic, Lankinen

I feel Brossoit extends in WPG pretty much easiest job being behind Hellebyuck

Ned to me is going to LA where they get baited again

Lankinen meh whoever needs a backup

TOR to me is either gonna go get Talbot on a 1 year deal to see what they have in Woll and if he can stay healthy. Or they gonna trade for Saros
May 19 at 6:51 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Vancouver has a though choice about who starts game 7, do you keep Silovs? Is Demko ready to start? Do you play Desmith? That choice could decide game 7
May 19 at 10:12 a.m.
Daniel Briere quoted in this story saying he doesn’t know if Michkov will ever join team.

"It's scary sometimes hearing that after Cutter Gauthier. Listen, we loved his energy when he came to see us we drafted him. We talked to him a little when he was drafted in Nashville, but since then there has been no contact. We can't really talk to him. He belongs to Saint Petersburg in the KHL. We watch him play a bit like everyone else. We watch the highlights, we watch these games. It's really exciting to know that we have a prospect like that on our team, but we don't know if we are ever going to see him."

They haven’t spoken to him since draft?! (That is not normal. For instance, the Devils development staff talk to Gritsyuk every couple of weeks).
May 19 at 10:56 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Daniel Briere quoted in this story saying he doesn’t know if Michkov will ever join team.

"It's scary sometimes hearing that after Cutter Gauthier. Listen, we loved his energy when he came to see us we drafted him. We talked to him a little when he was drafted in Nashville, but since then there has been no contact. We can't really talk to him. He belongs to Saint Petersburg in the KHL. We watch him play a bit like everyone else. We watch the highlights, we watch these games. It's really exciting to know that we have a prospect like that on our team, but we don't know if we are ever going to see him."

They haven’t spoken to him since draft?! (That is not normal. For instance, the Devils development staff talk to Gritsyuk every couple of weeks).

Now they are saying Michkov is signing in PHI

Briere head fake…
May 19 at 10:59 a.m.
Edited May 19 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel Brossoit extends in WPG pretty much easiest job being behind Hellebyuck\

Brossoit signed in Winnipeg because it looked like Hellebuyck was done after this year and he wanted to win a starting job. He played great this year and will have many teams offering him 1B or better money. He hasn't shown any indication that he wants the "easy job" so that is a lazy take.

“It is a bit bittersweet. If I could choose, and if it didn’t mean halting or stalling of my career, I’d prefer to stay here,” says Brossoit.

“I’m very comfortable here, I don’t think we’ll probably go the rest of our career having this good of a relationship (with anyone else), with the age and the similarities that we have. It will be sad to go, if I do, but it’s the nature of the beast.”

Fact is, there should be several teams lining up this summer to make Brossoit an offer he simply can’t refuse, with the kind of money and term given to a guy who will, at the very least, be competing for a platoon role as the top dog.

“I would expect my phone to be ringing on July 1,” says Petkau (his agent).
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/featured/2024/03/18/no-masking-this-relationship

I should have included Stolarz in that mix of good UFA's too.

Any team needing a goalie that signed Brossoit-Stolarz could have an amazing tandem on their hands and probably spend around $7 mil or less to get it.
May 19 at 11:32 a.m.
WentWughes
There's a rumour with substance that Michkov will be playing in Philly next season
Db1899 liked this.
May 19 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
There's a rumour with substance that Michkov will be playing in Philly next season

I think he’ll immediately be a PPG player
May 19 at 1:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Db1899
I think he’ll immediately be a PPG player

I doubt it. KHL is as weak as it's ever been and he's not even a PPG player there.
May 19 at 2:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I doubt it. KHL is as weak as it's ever been and he's not even a PPG player there.

Plus Torts system takes a while to adjust to

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll