Forums/Armchair-GM

Why not Silayev

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2024
Published: May 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know Hughes basically said that he won’t draft a LD this year (I don’t blame him lol) but I want to explore the article in the Athletic regarding Silayev, and the many logical paths that could lead to MTL taking him at 5th overall.

Essentially, the article explains that many pro scouts (including a nameless director of scouting) see Silayev as the undisputed #2 in this years draft. So let’s just imagine now that MTL is one of the teams that have him on their list at 2nd overall.
(Hypothetical list for MTL):
1 - Celebrini
2 - Silayev
3 - Demidov
4 - Levshunov
5 - Lindstrom
6 - Parekh
7 - Iginla

The draft begins (there are no trades) and it goes:
SJS - Celebrini
CHI - Demidov
ANA - Levshunov
CBJ - Lindstrom
MTL -

The prevailing thoughts are that MTL would either reach for a player lower on their list (Iginla) or trade back.
But if going with a Best Player Available (BPA) mentality, Silayev SHOULD be their selection. So how could MTL explain the selection with the amount of young LD they already have?
Well one thing that’s interesting is that Silayev has two more years on his contract with Nizhny Torpedo, which perfectly follows Matheson’s contract expiring (and MTL does seem committed to keeping Matheson). This would allow more time to evaluate their current young LD, decide who to keep and who to trade, and line everything up for when Matheson’s contract expires and Silayev arriving in the NHL.
Not to mention Habs probably have a very good scouting report on Silayev, with them following closely his teammate and Captain Bogdan Konyushkov (who plays RD). Add the connections between Habs co-directors in scouting, Bobrov’s Russian connections and Lapointe being a former teammate of Igor Larionov (Coach of the Torpedo), you now have a lot of links between the Habs and Silayev.

Just something to thinking about!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2026 3rd round pick (ARI)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,000,000$71,599,583$1,022,500$4,750,000$15,400,417
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 13 at 5:00 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Cayden Lindstrom will fall between 10 and 15, you'll see
May 13 at 5:02 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: cody_tugak

Would not be shocked at all. There’s always guys we don’t expect that drop lol
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 5:04 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

No chance. Only way is teams see something on his medical that has them second guessing picking him.

And if he falls, no way CGY passes on him at #9
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 5:05 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Quoting: csick

I wasn't high at all on Zayne Parekh but after seeing his numbers at the end of the season, damn this kid is good, possibly even top 5 good, hopefully Ottawa lands the kid
May 13 at 5:07 p.m.
KFTW
I wasn't high at all on Zayne Parekh but after seeing his numbers at the end of the season, damn this kid is good, possibly even top 5 good, hopefully Ottawa lands the kid

I hope so . But would be extremely happy with Iginla too. I love Dickinson as well but being LD kinda sucks. Still wouldn’t hesitate to take him as a 3rd choice
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 5:07 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

My guess this year is Catton, teams always let the smaller skilled guys fall. Another could be Eiserman, it would be a similar situation to Kaliyev a few years back (was rated the best shooter of his draft class) ranked to go in the top 10, and fell almost 20-25 spots.
csick and Shanesaw9 liked this.
May 13 at 5:08 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Quoting: Blazingbat11
No chance. Only way is teams see something on his medical that has them second guessing picking him.

And if he falls, no way CGY passes on him at #9

I'm guessing Calgary takes a chance on the Helenius kid, if not, then they'll probably take Silayev, they do need defenceman now
May 13 at 5:10 p.m.
Mr.T 17
I hope so . But would be extremely happy with Iginla too. I love Dickinson as well but being LD kinda sucks. Still wouldn’t hesitate to take him as a 3rd choice

For sure!!! If the Sens take Dickensen, I can see the Sens possibly trading away both Chych and Chabs too, be nice to add another 1st round pick either this year or even next, Chabs does still have high value I'd say
csick liked this.
May 13 at 5:12 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
I think there's a serious case for Silayev for MTL. For this draft, I started asking myself who do I think will impact the game more 5 years down the road and come playoff time because the prospects are so close from 4-12. I think I'm taking a potential 24 minute monster defenseman, I don't care what way he shoots. Fact is, this kind of player isn't available in a trade or FA (unless you're the sens and let him go in 07 lol) . Im secretly hoping he falls to the sens at 7 and they don't fumble
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 5:13 p.m.
Habs 2010
There's legitimately a case for at least 10 different guys that MTL could potentially draft at 5, I agree they should just do BPA and they can make the pieces of the puzzle fit together later. I think Hughes has already said this, all things equal they will go for need which makes sense, easier to draft the piece you need then to trade your pieces for the ones you need.
CMac66 liked this.
May 13 at 5:14 p.m.
Jimmy Stu

I'd rather they pass if Silayev is there
May 13 at 5:17 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Blazingbat11
My guess this year is Catton, teams always let the smaller skilled guys fall. Another could be Eiserman, it would be a similar situation to Kaliyev a few years back (was rated the best shooter of his draft class) ranked to go in the top 10, and fell almost 20-25 spots.

Yeah Catton will drop like Benson.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
May 13 at 5:18 p.m.
KFTW
For sure!!! If the Sens take Dickensen, I can see the Sens possibly trading away both Chych and Chabs too, be nice to add another 1st round pick either this year or even next, Chabs does still have high value I'd say

Sanderson - Zub
Dickinson - Mews
Kleven - Vet
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 5:27 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Quoting: CMac66
I'd rather they pass if Silayev is there

Silayev to Ottawa? Hmmm, to be honest, I didn't think of that, I'm guessing that Arizona/Utah takes on the big guy, then they'll bully their way back into a playoff spot and keep doing so for years to come, but who knows
May 13 at 5:30 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Sanderson - Zub
Dickinson - Mews
Kleven - Vet

Dickenson to Ottawa seems more imaginable than Silayev to me, I really believe that the big guy will land in Arizona/Utah, then they'll have a number of huge players and bully their way around getting wins and bully themselves into a playoff spot, I really think the guys in Arizona/Utah really deserve to be winning now, especially after being on the crappy end of the stick for years, it's just too bad that they're letting go a couple seasons too early
May 13 at 5:33 p.m.
KFTW
Dickenson to Ottawa seems more imaginable than Silayev to me, I really believe that the big guy will land in Arizona/Utah, then they'll have a number of huge players and bully their way around getting wins and bully themselves into a playoff spot, I really think the guys in Arizona/Utah really deserve to be winning now, especially after being on the crappy end of the stick for years, it's just too bad that they're letting go a couple seasons too early

For sure. I think Columbus is taking Silayev anyways. Them and Utah have shown the most interests in him
May 13 at 5:42 p.m.
Jimmy Stu

Yeah interesting. He does seems like a Utah pick. The only rebuttle I'd say is hmyhey did that with Simashev last year and it wouldn't shock me if THEY took Parekh or even Buium to get some offensive power on the back end to go with monsters Simashev and Lamareaux. I think this draft will be so fun to see who goes where. And I'm
cody_tugak liked this.
May 13 at 7:48 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Shanesaw9
There's legitimately a case for at least 10 different guys that MTL could potentially draft at 5, I agree they should just do BPA and they can make the pieces of the puzzle fit together later. I think Hughes has already said this, all things equal they will go for need which makes sense, easier to draft the piece you need then to trade your pieces for the ones you need.

True, Imo Lindstrom is gone at #4 and Habs select Iginla at #5. But I do get the feeling Habs will surprise with a big trade.
May 13 at 7:58 p.m.
Im always of the belief you go BPA with the caveat that you put a little emphasis on position to differentiate between equal players. Taking Silayev simply doesn't make sense unless they had a Guhle/Hutson/Matheson trade locked and loaded.

If they don't, then I would be fine picking the positional need whose slightly worse than Silayev. Its not like the gap is that great this year. 3-10 is basically a toss up and any one of them could be the best player at that point.

That is kind of the nice thing about this draft, they can't really mess it up as long as they take a player from the consensus top 12-13 players. Last year was the year to NOT reach for a dman...... but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
May 13 at 9:32 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: F50marco
Im always of the belief you go BPA with the caveat that you put a little emphasis on position to differentiate between equal players. Taking Silayev simply doesn't make sense unless they had a Guhle/Hutson/Matheson trade locked and loaded.

If they don't, then I would be fine picking the positional need whose slightly worse than Silayev. Its not like the gap is that great this year. 3-10 is basically a toss up and any one of them could be the best player at that point.

That is kind of the nice thing about this draft, they can't really mess it up as long as they take a player from the consensus top 12-13 players. Last year was the year to NOT reach for a dman...... but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

One of the points I made is the exact opposite. There’s no rush to trade anyone since Silayev is signed for 2 more seasons in the KHL. Habs could take their time, and naturally move from Matheson (trade deadline deal of 2026?)
And going with BPA… if Gorton, Hughes, Bobrov and Lapointe all think Silayev is a bonafide #1D who could be the next Hedman or prime Chara, it’s kind of hard to pass on that, regardless of handedness.
And as much as I love Hutson, Reinbacher, and Guhle (the Habs best young dmen imo) none of them have that bonafide #1 franchise D.
So if Hughes steps to the podium and calls Silayev’s name, then says at his press conference that he’s found a franchise defenseman to build around. I won’t complain.

I do agree that if MTL has someone on their list (let’s use Lindstrom hypothetically) who’s slightly worse in their minds, but is a better fit (a forward), pick him. No issues.
But slightly worse than a franchise Dman is still a true #1C, does Lindstrom fit that description for the Habs? Who knows. Same could be said for Silayev as a possible franchise D. Tough call.
F50marco liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll