SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

New 3v3 league with 30m salary cap

May 10 at 8:40 a.m.
Edited May 10 at 10:00 a.m.
It is reported that teams will carry 14 players, 2 of which are goalies.

At a time the nhl is experiencing talent dilution via expansion, a 30 mil salary cap for 14 players will absolutely lead to scenarios where players can earn more if they leave the nhl, especially the lower/middle tier of player.

As a result, there will be more talent dilution.

Top end players will do even better, as their peers are further watered down.

Most nhl records are now in jeopardy.

Thoughts?

Here’s mine:

1. I think every player in the nhl just got a huge raise. The nhl will have to pay to keep its talent. Unsure if most are aware how labor markets work, yours included: —-increase in pay for one peer is inevitable and eventual increase in pay for all—-. Is why your govt is afraid to raise min wage, messaging makes you believe fast food workers don’t deserve it. It just hurts you to go along with that, even if you’re on the top of the pyramid, as the bottom of the pyramid is your consumer base.

2. I think lock outs become dangerous for the nhl because there is an alternative. I don’t think there will be a lockout in the short/medium term.

3. I’m not interested in the financier, but that is out of my control. Shrug emoji.

4. The nhl has to be furious, it just lost some expansion power. The price of a franchise is high because there is demand. This gobbles up demand.

5. The talent dilution may force the nhl to pause expansion plans while the talent base catches up.

6. The best thing the nhl can do is prevent ideal markets from joining is offering them a guaranteed expansion at an interesting cost, but it’s probably too late, the announcement alone is extreme damage.
May 10 at 11:08 a.m.
The Major League of Hockey could find a foothold with that type of financial backing but the gimmick of 3v3 and 24 minute games I think won't find as much of an audience for them as they think. Obviously this is geared towards a TV/streaming audience with that type of format.

I think they would be better served by doing a "real" hockey league with new rules implemented and 8 teams in North America in large non-NHL markets and 8 teams in Europe in the major markets there. They would attract better talent that way and probably engage more fans.
Turbo and CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 10 at 11:19 a.m.
I also just saw that the 3ice league is continuing again this year also. Too many "fringe" hockey leagues will certainly water down the demand and talent.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 10 at 11:37 a.m.
I honestly think people are over reacting to this. I saw people comparing it to LIV vs PGA. 30m is not a huge amount for 14 players, it's a much lower cap to player ratio than the NHL. It'll likely appeal to late 20's high production AHLers that couldn't translate to the NHL and maybe some goalie prospects caught in a depth chart roadblock. Most players will recognize that moving to this league will likely kill their NHL potential as the game is functionally different from 5v5 and I don't think the salary opportunities are worth it save for maybe a handful of replaceable middle sixers. Plus I don't think the league will gain a strong enough foothold to be seen as more than a gimmick and become profitable
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 10 at 1:04 p.m.
Cowan Season
I think that it can never truly take away from the nhl, being 3v3 and 24mins but it will be interesting to watch. I think it could be an opportunity to see some more talent that weren’t being noticed before or that can make another push to get into the NHL.

I think this could be very good for the sport if run correctly. Also, I like how it starts with a 30m cap as that will bring some talent
May 10 at 6:01 p.m.
WentWughes
Seems like it's unlikely to happen at this point, but imagine if they took the 4-6ET Timeslot, There's a huge market there, many people can't/won't stay up with a 7ET start time as they have work/school the next day. Definitely something there if they can get some cash flow until it turns a profit.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll