Forums/Armchair-GM

Learned a lot about this team this year changes need to be made

Created by: dons_weeney
Team: 2024-25 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2024
Published: May 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First off, the team is clearly a bunch of 3rd liners and fringe second liners that are just overmatched. That's not the players fault, it's just the reality of their drafting and cap situation this year. Luckily, they'll have money to spend this offseason to fix it.

An Ullmark trade feels inevitable, and I think a late first rounder or early second rounder is about his value. Ironically, let's send him to Ottawa for the Bruins own first rounder this year. Who knows who he'd accept a trade to, so this is fairly interchangeable.

Since they have a full roster of roughly middle 6 forwards plus Pastrnak, this means they need to add top 6 players, but I'm getting ahead of myself. It doesn't make sense just to push the current third line to fourth line, fourth to scratch, etc., so one or two of the current roster players should be traded. I think Geekie is the first candidate, since he's not very effective at center, but too good to play on the fourth line. He's a solid 3rw option, but Lysell is a safer bet to be ready, and he saves you over 1m in cap space. Low risk. Absolute worst case, Brazeau can fit in there for now. Not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world. Nothing is perfect, and 3rw is least of this teams concerns. Geekie to (insert team here) for a mid round pick.

With all that said, Zacha and Coyle are likely best as 3lw and 3c respectively. They're good regular season players, but Coyle has always been best as a great 3c instead of a subpar 2c, and Zacha isn't a playoff caliber player, 0 goals in 20+ playoff games now. I'd keep him around, but limit his role because it almost certainly will be/need to be come playoffs.

That leaves us with 3 top 6 forwards. Pastrnak of course is one, Marchand is two, then Poitras. Pasta is obvious, not gonna expand on that. Marchand is probably best as a 2lw as this stage of his career, it's not like they're paying him 10m to be a first liner anyways, so I'd rather keep him a little more fresh without wearing him out. Still first line upside if needed. Poitras may not be quite ready to be a 2c, but let's be real, he's not far off, and Zacha/Coyle have a far lower ceiling than Poitras. He responds very well to challenges, so as long as the team can get a reliable center to play above him, I'm absolutely ok with him being 2c. Again, nothing is perfect and centers don't grow on trees. I'm fairly comfortable with this though. Plus Zacha and Coyle are there if needed.

So the team needs a 1lw and a 1c, and a 4lw.

4lw is easy, sign a free agent or plug in Lauko, or another prospect like Kuntar or Merkulov. Limited minutes so not a big concern. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing Maroon back either.

For 1c, there's one clear option, Elias Lindholm. Barring a trade that might involve Ullmark + picks and prospects for a 1c (highly unlikely because let's be real... nobody is available), we should anticipate this move, and probably a slight overpay. Let's sign him to a 7x7.

Now that that's out of the way, the team needs a goalie, Swayman seems cool, let's sign him to a twin 7x7. Bussi is a moderate risk for a backup, but Swayman is good enough to offset that, and the B's goalie development is very reliable. I'm good with this as another risk, so let's sign him to a 2x800k.

Now for the forward core, this is where it gets more interesting. Lysell, unless traded, fits nicely at 3rw. With Poitras starting at 2c, I'd put Frederic with him for a veteran presence, and put Lysell with Coyle and Zacha, which provides the same to Lysell, and splits up the rookie and sophomore.

1lw is still a position of need, and I would love to see them get someone like Guentzel. This is fairly risky since they'll now be singing 2 29 year old FAs to 7 year deals, which would probably age poorly, but it might need to be done. The first 4 years would be worth it. Ultimately, I still think they should resign Debrusk, so I'd prefer to see a more affordable option, like Teravainen, to something like a 5x6.5 deal. He might get more $ elsewhere though, who knows. We'll see.

And with the remaining money, I'd strongly consider resigning Debrusk. His value is probably right around 5m, a 5x5 like Barbashev isn't a bad comparable. 5x5.5 is fair.

And that is all. Not quite a contender imo, but this is much better than this year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
5$6,500,000
5$5,500,000
Trades
BOS
  1. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (TBL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,484,723$50,000$542,500$215,277
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW
RFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
RFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
G
RFA
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$830,556$830,556
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 13 at 4:35 p.m.
KFTW
Yes I’d do that as long as he comes with an extension
May 13 at 4:38 p.m.
1. Just remove Ryan Mast. That kid wasn’t ready for Providence much less Boston. Regula or Mitchell might be an option

2. I think I’d rather have Freddy on the top 3 line and move Geekie to the 4th line. I don’t think he’s too good for it. If anything, this series should show we have shortcomings there.

3. Poitras isn’t good enough to beat out Coyle and the way they used him actually is how they use Marchand for the most part. Can’t put them on the same line

4. I use the AFP Analytics stuff. My believe is a player should be within 10 percent of these numbers

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/panthers-sam-reinhart-debuts-as-no-1-free-agent-on-daily-faceoffs-top-50-ufas/amp
May 13 at 4:39 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: csick

a 4 year 6 mil would probably be a solid extension. Hard to gauge the market for him. Seems like his 4x5 was a slight underpay
csick liked this.
May 13 at 4:42 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: Celtics21
1. Just remove Ryan Mast. That kid wasn’t ready for Providence much less Boston. Regula or Mitchell might be an option

2. I think I’d rather have Freddy on the top 3 line and move Geekie to the 4th line. I don’t think he’s too good for it. If anything, this series should show we have shortcomings there.

3. Poitras isn’t good enough to beat out Coyle and the way they used him actually is how they use Marchand for the most part. Can’t put them on the same line

Yeah the Ryan Mast thing was just a random sub, he's not ready. Insert random 7d there. Getting rid of Geekie would be necessary for cap reasons in this situation, I should've said he's more of an overpay for a fourth liner on this roster.

Poitras had Coyle beat for this season until his injury started catching up to him, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for a Krejci type pure offense line. Either way, I'd want to see him get good minutes.
May 13 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: dons_weeney
Yeah the Ryan Mast thing was just a random sub, he's not ready. Insert random 7d there. Getting rid of Geekie would be necessary for cap reasons in this situation, I should've said he's more of an overpay for a fourth liner on this roster.

Poitras had Coyle beat for this season until his injury started catching up to him, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for a Krejci type pure offense line. Either way, I'd want to see him get good minutes.

I don’t believe he’d beaten Coyle. They wanted to see if Poitras could hang as a 2nd liner which he couldn’t yet. No shame in that. Coyle has been the consistent top 6 center with Marchand
May 13 at 4:46 p.m.
As long as he waives and extends I'm sure there'd be no issues from the Sens side.
csick liked this.
May 13 at 4:54 p.m.
Agreed with lots of things except:
-Marchand is a 2LW, which is correct... But Lindholm is a 1C? Totally disagree. If you sign a player to a 5+ years deal, it's gotta be a top line player or one who's 29yo or younger. Lindholm isn't either and neither is Teravainen, they're both 2nd liners and 30 next season.
-Poitras has 33 games, I'll wait before saying he's close to being a 2C.
-Lohrei struggled most of the regular season and while he has been fine thru a short sample size in the playoffs, it's still a big bet. This doesn't factor injuries so they definitely need another legit 2nd pair LD.
-Can't work with $215K, there will be injuries and callups; preferably, we don't use LTIR.
May 13 at 5:04 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: bhavikp27
Agreed with lots of things except:
-Marchand is a 2LW, which is correct... But Lindholm is a 1C? Totally disagree. If you sign a player to a 5+ years deal, it's gotta be a top line player or one who's 29yo or younger. Lindholm isn't either and neither is Teravainen, they're both 2nd liners and 30 next season.
-Poitras has 33 games, I'll wait before saying he's close to being a 2C.
-Lohrei struggled most of the regular season and while he has been fine thru a short sample size in the playoffs, it's still a big bet. This doesn't factor injuries so they definitely need another legit 2nd pair LD.
-Can't work with $215K, there will be injuries and callups; preferably, we don't use LTIR.

All valid points. Lindholm isn't a 1c, but he's the best you'll find, so he kinda has to be. I see him as a pretty good 2c, who's good enough to get us more out of Pasta, who will carry that line. Lindholm contract I'm ok with because it's not too much of an overpay for a 2c or winger if we do happen to find a better center, assuming his game doesn't regress more than anticipated with aging.

Lohrei I'm pretty comfortable with, of course a younger dman but the rest of the group is pretty solid defensively that I'm comfortable with it, especially since he's the only one with true offensive upside.

Poitras I get what you're saying, that might not stick, but worth a shot, and it worked alright this year until his injury.
May 13 at 5:09 p.m.

Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan
As long as he waives and extends I'm sure there'd be no issues from the Sens side.

He can't come with an extension, though the Bruins can allow the Sens to discuss things with him ahead of the trade. The draft is before July 1st and he's not eligible to be extended until July 1st.
csick and StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
May 13 at 5:09 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: jamnjon
He can't come with an extension, though the Bruins can allow the Sens to discuss things with him ahead of the trade. The draft is before July 1st and he's not eligible to be extended until July 1st.

Yeah I know but I’ve always heard of verbal agreements in the weeks leading up to July 1st
StutzlesNumber1Fan, jamnjon, dons_weeney and 1 other person liked this.
May 13 at 5:14 p.m.
Quoting: jamnjon

If he gave us his word prior I’d be fine with it still~ I’d assume him waiving his ntc would mean he’d be fine extending here anyway~
Adir4, dons_weeney and Borocop liked this.
May 13 at 6:11 p.m.
YARRRR!!!!

Agreed!!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll