Forums/Armchair-GM

According to David Pagnotta

Created by: BradTreliving
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2024
Published: May 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nashville is open to a Mitch Marner trade according to David Pagnotta.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
3$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,250,000
2$2,000,000
4$3,750,000
6$8,000,000
2$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Fabbro, Dante
  2. Saros, Juuse
  3. 2025 1st round pick (TBL)
NSH
  1. Järnkrok, Calle
  2. Liljegren, Timothy [RFA Rights]
  3. Marner, Mitchell
Additional Details:
12x8 extension Marner
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,700,000$86,946,334$0$0$753,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C, RW
UFA
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$904,667$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, RW
UFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
RFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15 at 9:23 p.m.
Report Marner says NO.

End of story.

Your welcome.
StutzlesNumber1Fan and AEcho liked this.
May 15 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Report Marner says NO.

End of story.

Your welcome.

Nashville would be a pretty sweet place to play. Why do you think Marner 100% says no to Nash?
May 15 at 9:36 p.m.
Nashville open yes, not sure why every Leaf fan thinks we'll move Saros for him though.
AEcho liked this.
May 15 at 9:38 p.m.
2285 Stanley Cup Cha
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Nashville open yes, not sure why every Leaf fan thinks we'll move Saros for him though.

I don't know what else they have that would interest Toronto enough to move him
May 15 at 9:39 p.m.
And you still got Rielly running PP1
May 15 at 9:44 p.m.
Quoting: JokiStan
I don't know what else they have that would interest Toronto enough to move him

We have a plethora of futures (1sts & former 1sts/young players) which could either help fill out the rest of the roster or you could flip for the goalie you need.

I'd look at any combination of:

2025 1st(s)/picks (not interested in paying the signing bonus so has to be July 1st or later), Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, Wood, Glass, Lauzon (I think he's the kind of defender TOR could use on the back end).

I'd include Fabbro here as well but I'm hoping Trotz makes a hail mary with CGY for Andersson with him and the 2024 1st++.
May 15 at 9:46 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Report Marner says NO.

End of story.

Your welcome.

Nashville would be a great landing spot for Marner.
BruceBanner liked this.
May 15 at 9:46 p.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
Nashville would be a pretty sweet place to play. Why do you think Marner 100% says no to Nash?

It's more based on the reports that Marner wants to stay a Leaf. If he wants to stay a Leaf, there isn't much TOR can do.

Additionally, NSH doesn't agree to a deal with an extension in place, and he isn't getting paid 12M a year in NSH.
May 15 at 10:00 p.m.
But Pagnotta is never right.
GMBL and RedWing9119 liked this.
May 15 at 10:02 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
But Pagnotta is never right.

Didn't he break Chychrun to LA? tears of joy
aedoran and RedWing9119 liked this.
May 15 at 10:13 p.m.
Quoting: AEcho
It's more based on the reports that Marner wants to stay a Leaf. If he wants to stay a Leaf, there isn't much TOR can do.

Additionally, NSH doesn't agree to a deal with an extension in place, and he isn't getting paid 12M a year in NSH.

Without the extension, it's still pretty fair. Saros is a pending UFA and I would say that goalies aren't worth the same as their forward or defensive counterparts, even if it's a winger or LHD. Would NSH want to give a whole 1st (-Jarnkrok's 3rd/4th value)? Maybe not, I would expect that they would ask for Minten instead of Jarnkrok. I don't think there's much difference in value between Fabbro and Liljegren.

I agree with Just_A_Guess, I don't think NSH would want to give Saros, and it would probably be Askarov+ another piece (someone like Tomasino that could be a roster player) instead. Do the Leafs want Saros? Maybe. Treliving did say they don't want to have the 2nd best goalie in the series when asked about extending Samsonov, but considering that Woll could be that guy for them if healthy and Askarov's high potential, I think they would spend the new found cap to fix their defense.
May 15 at 10:23 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Didn't he break Chychrun to LA? tears of joy

Yeah but did anyone have Chychrun going to Ottawa?
May 15 at 10:45 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
Yeah but did anyone have Chychrun going to Ottawa?

He was linked to them, but I meant breaking an actual trade. I thought it was him who said Chychrun was going to LA, then it hit a snag. (Kypreos said Clarke was being dealt which was even worse lol). To be fair though, I think Chychrun would have been in LA if Pettersen was moved. It might not have been the Chychrun trade that Pagnotta got wrong though, I just remember him saying something and then it turned out to be false (which happens). It might have been an FA signing.
aedoran liked this.
May 15 at 11:35 p.m.
2285 Stanley Cup Cha
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
We have a plethora of futures (1sts & former 1sts/young players) which could either help fill out the rest of the roster or you could flip for the goalie you need.

I'd look at any combination of:

2025 1st(s)/picks (not interested in paying the signing bonus so has to be July 1st or later), Schaefer, Lind, Tomasino, Parssinen, Prokop, Wood, Glass, Lauzon (I think he's the kind of defender TOR could use on the back end).

I'd include Fabbro here as well but I'm hoping Trotz makes a hail mary with CGY for Andersson with him and the 2024 1st++.

No offense but I'm just not sure that's interesting enough to Toronto to get Marner, especially if they want to continue to try to contend. Could be wrong but yeah
May 15 at 11:42 p.m.
Quoting: JokiStan
No offense but I'm just not sure that's interesting enough to Toronto to get Marner, especially if they want to continue to try to contend. Could be wrong but yeah

I was personally wondering why it wouldn’t be Saros/Fabro for Marner. Saros is a better goalie than Marner is a forward and goalie is the bigger need for Toronto.

NMC’s can really lower trade value (see Hall and Tarasenko)
May 15 at 11:44 p.m.
Great trade, but i think Nashville needs to give up a better pick or picks.
May 16 at 12:42 a.m.
I have a impression a trotz not the guy willing to give 12 m to one plaher.
May 16 at 10:40 a.m.
Without the extension, it's still pretty fair. Saros is a pending UFA and I would say that goalies aren't worth the same as their forward or defensive counterparts, even if it's a winger or LHD. Would NSH want to give a whole 1st (-Jarnkrok's 3rd/4th value)? Maybe not, I would expect that they would ask for Minten instead of Jarnkrok. I don't think there's much difference in value between Fabbro and Liljegren.

I agree with Just_A_Guess, I don't think NSH would want to give Saros, and it would probably be Askarov+ another piece (someone like Tomasino that could be a roster player) instead. Do the Leafs want Saros? Maybe. Treliving did say they don't want to have the 2nd best goalie in the series when asked about extending Samsonov, but considering that Woll could be that guy for them if healthy and Askarov's high potential, I think they would spend the new found cap to fix their defense.

I think NSH would be willing to spend in order to get a superstar or game breaking kind of player, I just don't know if Marner is that player for them. I won't say he can't be that player, but it would just depend on the cost. The big thing for NSH, if they were to give up Saros, is that they wouldn't want to give up much more than that as part of this deal, and that is more due to how much they value Saros. I think you are right that goalies are likely evaluated as lower than forwards and defenseman, but that is because a goalie can't really win you the game, they can either 1. Keep you from losing it or 2. Help you "win more" (e.g. bigger score discrepancies). That said, goalies at Saros's caliber can "win" you games just by continuing to give the offense time to score, and for TOR's case, that isn't exactly difficult.

But, if TOR is not interested in Saros, what does it cost to get Marner? For him I'd be willing to spend a number of assests for him. The only 3 prospects in my mind that are currently untouchable for Marner would be L'Heuruex, Svechkov, and Molendyk. Either of the 1st's NSH has for 2025 and some of the top prospects NSH has like Tomasino, or defenseman like Ufko I'd be open to moving. I wouldn't feel good about giving up Ufko, but I would consider him eligible from NSH in a deal that brings in someone like Marner, and NSH can draft for more RD's in the upcoming draft with their picks.

If the ask is Askarov, then I can't imagine that NSH would be very receptive to it. They aren't going to not consider it, but I'd rather try free agency before moving Askarov. The big reason for that, and with the idea of acquiring Marner is that NSH needs centers more than anything now, and NSH has an over abundance of RW's in system right now, so moving the goalie of the future for a piece to win now, when the team isn't exactly built to win now is really risky and would require a lot re-prioritization on NSH's end to make that happen.
GMBL liked this.
May 16 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: AEcho
I think NSH would be willing to spend in order to get a superstar or game breaking kind of player, I just don't know if Marner is that player for them. I won't say he can't be that player, but it would just depend on the cost. The big thing for NSH, if they were to give up Saros, is that they wouldn't want to give up much more than that as part of this deal, and that is more due to how much they value Saros. I think you are right that goalies are likely evaluated as lower than forwards and defenseman, but that is because a goalie can't really win you the game, they can either 1. Keep you from losing it or 2. Help you "win more" (e.g. bigger score discrepancies). That said, goalies at Saros's caliber can "win" you games just by continuing to give the offense time to score, and for TOR's case, that isn't exactly difficult.

But, if TOR is not interested in Saros, what does it cost to get Marner? For him I'd be willing to spend a number of assests for him. The only 3 prospects in my mind that are currently untouchable for Marner would be L'Heuruex, Svechkov, and Molendyk. Either of the 1st's NSH has for 2025 and some of the top prospects NSH has like Tomasino, or defenseman like Ufko I'd be open to moving. I wouldn't feel good about giving up Ufko, but I would consider him eligible from NSH in a deal that brings in someone like Marner, and NSH can draft for more RD's in the upcoming draft with their picks.

If the ask is Askarov, then I can't imagine that NSH would be very receptive to it. They aren't going to not consider it, but I'd rather try free agency before moving Askarov. The big reason for that, and with the idea of acquiring Marner is that NSH needs centers more than anything now, and NSH has an over abundance of RW's in system right now, so moving the goalie of the future for a piece to win now, when the team isn't exactly built to win now is really risky and would require a lot re-prioritization on NSH's end to make that happen.

I don't think the Leafs would ask for Askarov but could be wrong, I think they would want someone with more experience to play in tandem with Woll or a starter. I just thought that maybe Trotz would want to cash in on his value sooner rather than later. Unless Draisaitl becomes available or they are looking to trade up in the 2025 draft (assuming there's a C they want) don't see them being able to get one any time soon. I personally think Gustavsson makes more sense for the Leafs but let's see what Treliving thinks. I don't think the Leafs would want the prospects straight up but maybe a 3-way between CGY could work.

The thing is that Marner would be traded after he's paid his bonus on July 1st, so there is the chance that a lot of the FAs are gone if they can't get a deal finalized quickly. I do think they would work on a framework for a deal beforehand, but I imagine NSH would want to know Marner's expectation for salary as well. Teams can go up to 10% over the cap and the Leafs do have 18.5M cap to work with, so maybe they stall with their own FAs and sign a couple of big names to extend that time. So, with the assumption that the Leafs could take advantage of the cap space and it's Saros getting dealt, I think the cost on top would be minimal like Tomasino (former 1st) and a 2nd or 3rd, possibly other stuff added n the Leafs side.

Marner produced as a rookie with Bozak and JVR and he didn't have an elite center in his 2nd either, 3rd year he got Tavares, but you can see how Tavares benefited as well in the following year reaching a career high in goals. So, the question isn't whether he can produce without an elite C, it's how much will his production potentially drop and if he can produce with the guys NSH has. Almost everyone's totals in NSH over the years have been low for forwards, with the exception of Forsberg but his production is all over. When Duchene came his totals plummeted for example. However, I don't think Trotz is too concerned about that because of Marner's 2-way game. That being said he's probably still looking for a bargain.

If NSH is keeping Saros, then maybe a 3-way trade between the Flames, Leafs, and Preds could be worked out with the futures that Just_A_Guess suggested, personally I think Askarov would be on the table as well but I don't think the Flames or Leafs would want him anyways.

Flames: A ton of futures (mostly from NSH) + Liljegren/Fabbro
Preds: Marner + pick/prospect
Leafs: Markstrom + Andersson + a pick/prospect
May 16 at 1:39 p.m.
He was linked to them, but I meant breaking an actual trade. I thought it was him who said Chychrun was going to LA, then it hit a snag. (Kypreos said Clarke was being dealt which was even worse lol). To be fair though, I think Chychrun would have been in LA if Pettersen was moved. It might not have been the Chychrun trade that Pagnotta got wrong though, I just remember him saying something and then it turned out to be false (which happens). It might have been an FA signing.

That is very true!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll