SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 6 at 9:04 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
The guy is terrible infront of a mic, no denying that. I also read that and thought "Mitch, SHUT UP" because he has a habit of saying the wrong thing. But the intent behind this particular statement is pretty clear, even if he chose his words poorly.

Yah that’s fair enough, it’s just there’s so many reasons to trade this guy and it feels like this is tossing another one onto the pile
oneX liked this.
May 6 at 9:13 p.m.
Rip
You're getting way too worked up over one word within a statement.

I have defending him a lot on here. No question he's a great player but he's fragile. We always knew this. He often has the "poor me" attitude when things are going well and that makes a lot more sense with a god complex.

- a conviction that one is infallible, merits special attention and privileges not enjoyed by other people, and can achieve anything one wants

He didn't take any responsibility, he just talks about his desire to win a cup. He doesn't think anyone should be hard on him, for this.

Nah that was a major misstep by him. It explains so much and makes it crystal clear he has to go. He'll never be what we want unfortunately.
May 6 at 9:20 p.m.
Rip
The guy is terrible infront of a mic, no denying that. I also read that and thought "Mitch, SHUT UP" because he has a habit of saying the wrong thing. But the intent behind this particular statement is pretty clear, even if he chose his words poorly.

I think he chose his words intentionally because it's how he feels. I have always felt that he craves being a hero so badly. I think he sees himself as a legend already. In his eyes his jersey has to be in the rafters one day. He wants it all and thinks he deserves it and endless adoration, then sulks whenever it doesn't go his way. The god statement makes so much sense.

Willy styles would likely say he feels like a rock star because that's his personality. Matthews acts like a celebrity but eats up the attention too. But no one says god like. Because it's just silly, it's what WWE people do.

See ya
oneX liked this.
May 6 at 9:22 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah that’s fair enough, it’s just there’s so many reasons to trade this guy and it feels like this is tossing another one onto the pile

A lot of his "failings" that are getting criticized are misplaced emotions. Like the one guy who blames him for a goal he wasn't even on the ice for. It's stupid. But this is a character flaw. He always ****es with the media, sulks when things don't go his way and has a hissy fit when Willy calls him out. It's a god complex.

Trade him
Saskleaf liked this.
May 6 at 9:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 9:44 p.m.

Yea I got the message he was trying to convey but man he chose the wrong words and for a fanbase who is as riled as a hornets nest not a good time

People would have been upset no matter what he said though so its kind of like a alright well what can I do thing

Should have just did a Matthews as he also took a shot at the media.

But in the end he and JT should have chosen better words as both dont come out good rn.

Anyways lets see Friday

The CEO of MLSE Pelley

Shanahan and Tree talking
May 6 at 9:24 p.m.
average joe
Quoting: RipNasty
It was a deliberate statement. No Mitch, no one is worshiping you. You are just a hockey player, people love the team and want to see a winner and those players will be legendary but you are not being worshiped. That is a clear window into how he perceives himself. It makes how he gets all ****y with the media more understandable. It also makes it clear that he has to go.

Yup - trade him for John Kordic.
May 6 at 9:27 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Messier99
Yup - trade him for John Kordic.

Full disclosure I had to google Kordic.

Now I don't want to trade him for nothing but he has to move.
Messier99 liked this.
May 6 at 9:57 p.m.
average joe
Full disclosure I had to google Kordic.

Now I don't want to trade him for nothing but he has to move.

Larry Murphy might be a better analogy. But he was traded for future considerations and I don't even know who it turned into.

Murphy was brought into Toronto as a 16 to 18 minute offensive defenceman. I forget if it was injury or trades, but he, as an aging defenceman, was asked to log 22+ minutes and as shut-down guy and fans got on him as he was too old to fit that role.
Traded to Detroit, he anchored their PP to 2 cups in 3 years.
oneX liked this.
May 6 at 10:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Larry Murphy might be a better analogy. But he was traded for future considerations and I don't even know who it turned into.

Murphy was brought into Toronto as a 16 to 18 minute offensive defenceman. I forget if it was injury or trades, but he, as an aging defenceman, was asked to log 22+ minutes and as shut-down guy and fans got on him as he was too old to fit that role.

Heck u want a story of people forcing a guy away in recent years

Kadri

People thought he was just a liability in the playoffs and forced him out and while in COL he proved that right the first time towards the end he won the cup and scored a game winner vs. TBL

Got the last laugh in the end

That trade still goes down as one of the worst and while we almost came away with Bennett and Brodie before I still feel TOR should have been more patient as I feel it was rushed and they came out with 50 cents to the dollar
Messier99 liked this.
May 6 at 11:45 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah but it just gives off this attitude that he’s above everyone else. It’s not the end of the world but it’s a really bad look

Totally this!
Look, if the team had won a few rounds, performed well but ran into injuries, the fans would understanding and also Mitch, Willy and Auston would have legendary status just for that...but the dude thinks he's already there.

You're getting way too worked up over one word within a statement.

Really? Like the time he was asked about Sammy and made it about himself?

You would think that the organization would have sent this guy to media training101 after the very first set of comments that had him looking like he was full of himself...but who am I kidding...Shanahan is in charge and he doesn't see these as character flaws.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 7 at 12:33 a.m.
Former NHL Executive
Questions:

1) Marner + Lili + Robo for Clarke + PLD. Do you accept?

2) Should Tavares be traded?

3) Should Rielly be traded?

4) Would you move Nylander if nobody else waives?
May 7 at 12:46 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Rajvinder
Questions:

Why are the Leafs the ones adding in that PLD trade? He sucks ass
No
Tessa vetoes
**** no
aadoyle liked this.
May 7 at 1:00 a.m.
Questions:

I would prefer a better deal but if that is the best on that table then we take it. Marner is gone. PLD on the wing could get a new lease on life. His underlying numbers in Winnipeg were strong and even in LA his passing was elite. Him with Matthews could be interesting.

Tavares stays and signs low long-term.

Rielly is the heart of the team, he should get the C.

Yes. But first sit Marner in the press box and force him out.
oneX liked this.
May 7 at 1:22 a.m.
Quoting: fangm
I would prefer a better deal but if that is the best on that table then we take it. Marner is gone. PLD on the wing could get a new lease on life. His underlying numbers in Winnipeg were strong and even in LA his passing was elite. Him with Matthews could be interesting.

No way in hell I'd want PLD on this team even if it means getting a player I covet. How many years left on that PLD contract? Yeah no thanks.
RipNasty liked this.
May 7 at 1:48 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Questions:

LAK reject as sure get out of PLD but at cost of Clarke they go nah. Can just buy out PLD for almost no cap hit

Tavares wont waive and it will cost assets to move him

Rielly will never waive he's been here the longest and lets be real is the true captain of TML

Nylander just extended and we know he aint moving either

If nobody agrees teams just gonna chill till next year then make its moves the following. Sure it means losing 1 or 2 guys for nothing but cap space is nice
May 7 at 7:39 a.m.
Rip

It's not like that. But Marner's attitude is not going to work for him in TO. God complex has to go
Rip
Questions:

Absolutely not to all of this
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
LAK reject as sure get out of PLD but at cost of Clarke they go nah. Can just buy out PLD for almost no cap hit

Tavares wont waive and it will cost assets to move him

Rielly will never waive he's been here the longest and lets be real is the true captain of TML

Nylander just extended and we know he aint moving either

If nobody agrees teams just gonna chill till next year then make its moves the following. Sure it means losing 1 or 2 guys for nothing but cap space is nice

It not almost no cap hit. It's years of dead cap some years almost 4 million.
May 7 at 8:20 a.m.
Rip
Heck u want a story of people forcing a guy away in recent years

Kadri

People thought he was just a liability in the playoffs and forced him out and while in COL he proved that right the first time towards the end he won the cup and scored a game winner vs. TBL

Got the last laugh in the end

That trade still goes down as one of the worst and while we almost came away with Bennett and Brodie before I still feel TOR should have been more patient as I feel it was rushed and they came out with 50 cents to the dollar

I think Kadri leaving was his own fault. He was unreliable. Who's to say that is isn't why he grew up? He wanted to be a leaf and his antics forced him out. Then he grew up.

Getting the last laugh or whatever is pretty weak
May 7 at 8:22 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: fangm

PLD has looked for a new lease on life twice already. He is not a good player.
May 7 at 8:53 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sure but there's a saying why have one toy to work with when you can have 3.

Could be a prime chance for anyone as imagine they turn them into well oiled machines for both regular season and playoffs and win some rounds

A statue's going in front of Scotiabank thats for sure lul

Now again could their also be change via trades of one of them also sure but who knows rn. There are multiple routes to go about it lets see

The issue here is everyone knows that their roster construction's bad... So, I see a coach wanting better toys on defence with Matthews...

It's easier to win and not get your goalie hurt if your defence is better as you've got to build defence out, look at Colorado/Tampa/Vegas
May 7 at 8:57 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: oneX
LoL... "better than Willy" because that's some kind of bar..

Take all of Matthews performances and need to up them quite a bit because so far, whatever he's done hasn't been enough to push this team to levels that required to win the Stanley Cup.

If we can agree that Matthews is the best player on the team and the bar is "well he was better than Nylander" then yeah this team ain't winning ****.

Willy's making 11.5 now... No more 6.9 mill, his bar has raised, so has Matthews'...

Either they all need to be harped on (bc they all make top 10 NHL money) or we don't...

Truth is, they've all not been the best in the playoffs... I thought they made progress vs Tampa (I think Matthews has like 18 pts in 13 games vs Tampa), that may or may not be the case

But they all need to show up if this team's winning anything
oneX liked this.
May 7 at 9:27 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Oh I will, when he is the one that made the mistake. But that play is not on him. Rielly and Samsonov shoulder the blame there. Not Marner.

Other things he did definitely deserve scrutiny but certainly not that. It's the same as blaming him for a goal against after a line change when everyone was in good position but mistakes by those players resulted in a goal. The guy wasn't even on the ice.

For the OT winner, had Marner chased pasta, pasta could have back handed it to the point where no one was now defending and the leafs would have been out of position and chasing the play. Who knows what could have happened but in that instance, a dump in from centre to that corner is the defencemans responsibility. Rielly hesitated for a second and changed directions. (Hence why I think he expected the puck to go behind the net). It hits the stanchion and bounces to Pasta who Rielly should have been closer too by then. Samsonov drops to his knees and hugs the post and didn't move until pasta was nearly at the far post.

Samsonov lost focus on that play. He should have stopped it.

It's the picture perfect play as to why he never should have been given the number 1 role. The guy makes saves he has no business making sometimes and that excites people. But then goal 1 and 2 happen. The first goal he was just out of position and the puck went in. If he was square to the shooter it hits him. Woll would have stopped that. Woll would have challenged pasta and either poke checked or slid over in time.

Samsonov I would say cost us more than anyone else apart from Keefe.

And really, anyone expecting high scoring games was ridiculous. Boston doesn't let in much. They defend better than almost every other team. To beat them you have to do exactly what Florida did. Pressure them and force some odd man rushes. Which TO did rarely but look at their goals, most of which were transition plays. Off the cycle they had nothing. But Keefe stuck to that system. Take it up ice, get it into their zone and then maintain possession and cycle until they make a mistake. Well Boston just didn't make any. And their goalie was awesome. Boston didn't make it easy and we Keefe made it easier on them by not adjusting to what they were doing.

As I keep saying, I am not opposed to trading Marner if you get good value. I say this because while it can't be denied he's a world class player, I am not sure he has the mental fortitude to handle TO. So would I trade him? Yes, if I got fair value for him.

If the best we can do is Parayko or some other 2nd pair defenceman who's already 30 years old and signed for another 6 years, then it's stupid to trade him. And you can't let him walk. So if no good trade comes to fruition then you keep him and hope a new coach can employ a better system that provides some offence in the playoffs.

IMO, they all should have done better... But Marner's making Rielly+Sammy's money, and if you replace Marner's spot with Knies/Robertson/Gregor, they stop it...

And if Marner chased Pasta... It would have allowed the other 4 to have gotten back, if they score after that, different story... But that's something that we see all the time with him...

Most NHL goals are caused from multiple people making mistakes... Like not picking up your man, or an offensive zone turnover at the Ozone blue line then making a lazy change
May 7 at 9:33 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I mean we have seen it time and time again these guys are idolized here

Look at Kawhi to stay TOR restaurants were offering free food for life and an expensive apartment offered him a penthouse suite

In TOR some people are calling Matthews the best hockey player alive rn forgetting McDavid is a few provinces over

We can deny it but its not wrong

The media and the fans can often go overboard with their view of things.

Kadri got the last laugh and Brind'Amour defended Anderson when he left and went to the Canes.

Heck even Tkachucks made a comment on it from both sides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmo0BRoyvjw&ab_channel=JohnnyHawkey

While I aint excusing Marners playoffs it seems to be a thing seen time and time again in all TOR sports teams or most Canadian teams in general

That Tkachuk comment is the 2nd of multiple times he's taken a shot at Toronto...

I hope they come out next year with an issue...

But watching this team for this many years, nothing will happen
May 7 at 11:43 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
IMO, they all should have done better... But Marner's making Rielly+Sammy's money, and if you replace Marner's spot with Knies/Robertson/Gregor, they stop it...

And if Marner chased Pasta... It would have allowed the other 4 to have gotten back, if they score after that, different story... But that's something that we see all the time with him...

Most NHL goals are caused from multiple people making mistakes... Like not picking up your man, or an offensive zone turnover at the Ozone blue line then making a lazy change

If Marner did something different it could have changed things but that wasn't his responsibility in the system. You seem to miss that. In a defensive system each guy has his responsibility. There as a good article on that exact play on sportsnet yesterday.

Bertuzzi is more to blame than anyone since he missed his assignment. He should have been pressuring the defenceman as F1. He didn't, went for a line change and then JT was compromised on his change. He didn't get to Lindholm fast enough and it was an easy lane to centre ice and a dump in.

I still think Sammy fell asleep on that one. Which is so him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll