SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(MIN/TOR) - Dewar for Ovchinnikov, 2026 4th (TOR)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 8 at 4:41 p.m.
Trade confirmed: Minnesota Wild - Toronto Maple Leafs
Trade Details
Minnesota Wild Acquire:
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
Dmitry Ovchinnikov · $0$835,000$80,000 (AHL/JR)
2026 4th round pick (TOR)
Sum: $0$835,000$80,000
Change: -$800,000
Change: +$35,000
Change: -$770,000
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Connor Dewar
L4
· $800,000$800,000$850,000
Sum: $800,000$800,000$850,000
Change: +$800,000
Change: -$35,000
Change: +$770,000
Mar. 8 at 4:43 p.m.
Amirov Forever
May seem like a small move, but I absolutely love this for the Leafs. Dewar is a speedy, tenacious, young forward who PKs effectively and has posted good results in limited minutes. He expires as an RFA and only cost us a 4th in 2 years time. Excellent pickup for the Leafs, Id love to see him flank Tavares and Jarnkrok on the third line. This is a sneaky good addition

Kinda sad to see Ovchinnikov get moved. He's got all the tools to breakout, hope he finds his game in Minnesota. I was so happy when we picked him in 2020, lots of fun to watch
Saskleaf, Missouri and Do_Bap liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:47 p.m.
wait... Ovechkin for Bedard...?

oh, never mind.
WheEhlers, HockeyManiac95, Missouri and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:48 p.m.
TrevorA
I’m giving this one to TOR they get an actual NHL Player they can use regularly for a Pick + Prospect that have a very low probability of even making the NHL
Mar. 8 at 4:54 p.m.
That 4th could become better than Dewar, or they might never play an NHL game. Even if they play in the NHL, that likely won't happen till 2030.
It is unlikely Dmitry Ovchinnikov will play in the NHL as anything more than an injury call up.

Dewar is depth, at best, so call it a fair trade.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:54 p.m.
Cheap 4th line Nhl'er with rfa for an Ahler and a far off Mid pick.

Easy win for the Leafs.
Saskleaf and leafsFan1996 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:59 p.m.
Go leafs go
I have basically the same opinion of this as the other deals the leafs have made this deadline: neither good nor bad. I’m a little higher on this move though because Dewar is younger and has higher upside
Mar. 8 at 5:01 p.m.
and proud of it
I think it's a decent deal, but idk how much better this makes the Leafs. This guy adds a bit of grit. That's about it
Hakuna Matata
24 year old nice 4th liner for 4th + C level prospect

Fair deal
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
I think it's a decent deal, but idk how much better this makes the Leafs. This guy adds a bit of grit. That's about it

Dewar is also a good defensive forward which they need for the 4th line

Hes also got 10 goals with only 11mins of ice that aint bad
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:11 p.m.
McMann Season
Dewar is an NHL player who can slot into their bottom 6 and is an RFA and is gritty.

Dmitry Ovchinnikov is a prospect I liked but wasn't high on their depth list to really make it.
Plus, 4th in 2026 is far out.

Overall I think this is fair deal, I think Leafs get the edge since Dewar is a sure thing while the pick and Ovchinnikov is not
Saskleaf and RawDeal liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:27 p.m.
Dewar?

I barely paid for her!
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:27 p.m.
This just makes me hate the reaves contract more. He seems a solid enough fourth liner but essentially a worse version of Lafferty who we had to dump for cap reasons for reaves. We'd be better off just having Lafferty
Mar. 8 at 5:44 p.m.
NYR just got Roslovic half retained for same return....

Playoff factor = 0

This franchise.....
Mar. 8 at 5:59 p.m.
sensonfire
Just like with the Duhaime and Maroon trades, the Wild are getting more value than they are supposed to for 4th line forwards.

Minnesota wins.
Mar. 8 at 6:11 p.m.
This was an overpay for a 4th line center. It's dumb to give up prospect that had a lot of raw talent and upside-sure he's a project and the odds of him realizing NHL potential is small...the Leafs have barely any prospects and draft picks for the future. There's no reason a 4th round pick plus Nick Abruzzese/Alex Steeves/Max Ellis couldn't get it done, heck even the 4th round pick should've been enough.
Mar. 8 at 11:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: BeLeafer91
This was an overpay for a 4th line center. It's dumb to give up prospect that had a lot of raw talent and upside-sure he's a project and the odds of him realizing NHL potential is small...the Leafs have barely any prospects and draft picks for the future. There's no reason a 4th round pick plus Nick Abruzzese/Alex Steeves/Max Ellis couldn't get it done, heck even the 4th round pick should've been enough.

What is your point? Every prospect you just named is better than Ovchinnikov, and you even admit that Ovchinnikov is a project with slim odds of making the NHL. Dewar is a bonafide NHL player who helps us now. Ovchinnikov is a guy who may help us in a few years to less effect. Your critique of this trade makes zero sense
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 9 at 3:07 a.m.
WentWughes
Don't mind this deal for Toronto. Solid PKing depth piece for cheap.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 9 at 3:48 p.m.
torontos finest
Guessing it's a 4th rounder instead of a 5th because Dewar is an RFA.

Would be nice to see Kampf yeeted to the void (Arizona) and have Dewar be the 4C going forward.
Mar. 10 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
What is your point? Every prospect you just named is better than Ovchinnikov, and you even admit that Ovchinnikov is a project with slim odds of making the NHL. Dewar is a bonafide NHL player who helps us now. Ovchinnikov is a guy who may help us in a few years to less effect. Your critique of this trade makes zero sense

The point is that Leafs are trading away top picks and a few top prospects, so the only way for the Leafs to get young impact players is to find hidden gems in the later rounds, typically these will be projects. I don't like moving out Ovchinnikov b/c of the all the Leafs' "project prospects" he had the most most raw talent and the highest ceiling (however slim the chances). The prospects that I mentioned, Steeves, Abruzzese, and Ellis are older and getting to an age (except Ellis) where they aren't prospects anymore, trending towards career minor leaguer.
Mar. 10 at 2:09 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: BeLeafer91
The point is that Leafs are trading away top picks and a few top prospects, so the only way for the Leafs to get young impact players is to find hidden gems in the later rounds, typically these will be projects. I don't like moving out Ovchinnikov b/c of the all the Leafs' "project prospects" he had the most most raw talent and the highest ceiling (however slim the chances). The prospects that I mentioned, Steeves, Abruzzese, and Ellis are older and getting to an age (except Ellis) where they aren't prospects anymore, trending towards career minor leaguer.

Grebyonkin is a better later round gem than Ovchinnikov. Believe me, I liked Ovchinnikov a lot, but he was just not working out with us. Id be shocked if he ever touched NHL ice.
Mar. 11 at 9:11 a.m.
Sad to see Ovchinnikov go. Been a big fan since day 1. Hope he can make in Minnesota. As for Dewar, well, not exactly the guy who I wanted the Leafs to add but also not the worst get of the guys who were available.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit