SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 8 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Or he doesn't miss time n

Well...in his pro career he hasn't shown anything else. I'm just going by what's happened and projecting what to do with the position.
aadoyle liked this.
May 8 at 10:02 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
That's not his assignment. Read the article.

I did read the article and it's wrong...

Marner's on the wing of the 1-3-1... His job's to cover that area which would include a streaking Pastrnak and not trying to look for a breakaway pass...

The article's trying to also put light on other mishaps... But this conversation would never be a thing if Marner:

a. Stuck with Pastrnak or (if you say it's not his job even though it is)
b. Pressure Lindholm as that's what Bert was when he got off...

Either one was better than gliding in while letting your check accelerate past you
May 8 at 12:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 1:45 p.m.
It's stupid to spend big on a goalie. Who's to say anyone is going to be better than Woll. When healthy he absolutely is a starting goalie. It's not 2 playoff games. It's a lot more success than that.

I don't know why you hate Woll but it's weird

Considering the injury prone status of Woll and the UFA market being bland Tor should go invest in a starter

Woll unfortunately can't stay healthy. Its been a thing in the AHL, NHL and even at times in NCAA.

He's 26 not that young anymore and yet the injuries are piling on. Not Matt Murray lvl yet but they be adding up

For TOR to have true success need to go trade for someone we know can give 45-55 games and has put up good results.

Its not hate stop being silly its the fact going with this kid as the full time starter is to risky of a gamble to be worth it in comparison to trading for someone else

As if he gets hurt like he did last time were ****ED especially come playoffs
May 8 at 12:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
The thing I don't like about Saros is that he's a small goaltender. Compare that to the league average and I kind of think leaning towards the average is a better bet.

Markstrom turned 34 this year so not sure how you feel about that. I'd like someone in their 20's.

Knight is/was in the players assistance program and don't know where he is from a hockey mindset standpoint.

No easy options for sure.

If CGY was willing to ret on Markstrom I would take a peek. Age for goalies is almost nothing considering Mike Smith took EDM to the semi finals and a 40 year old Tim Thomas won a cup

Knight came out of player assistance a while ago and was in the AHL due to Stolarz. He's with the team rn as the #3.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 8 at 1:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Well...in his pro career he hasn't shown anything else. I'm just going by what's happened and projecting what to do with the position.

Yep since 2021 he's not gotten to 30 games due to injuries in 2 separate leagues

Is it really fair to go alright kid 45 games next year good luck.

I like gambling at times but those seem like losing odds.

Woll's shown flashes when healthy he can be the future guy but then we saw it plays some more then wham injury bug hits and out for a few months. Its almost like the second coming of Murray

In the playoffs especially we cant have that.

TOR should go invest in a starter. While that is also a gamble its at least a safer one
oneX liked this.
May 8 at 4:38 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I did read the article and it's wrong...

Marner's on the wing of the 1-3-1... His job's to cover that area which would include a streaking Pastrnak and not trying to look for a breakaway pass...

The article's trying to also put light on other mishaps... But this conversation would never be a thing if Marner:

a. Stuck with Pastrnak or (if you say it's not his job even though it is)
b. Pressure Lindholm as that's what Bert was when he got off...

Either one was better than gliding in while letting your check accelerate past you

Right so you know more than everyone eh? Are you an NHL coach or something?
May 8 at 4:39 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Considering the injury prone status of Woll and the UFA market being bland Tor should go invest in a starter

Woll unfortunately can't stay healthy. Its been a thing in the AHL, NHL and even at times in NCAA.

He's 26 not that young anymore and yet the injuries are piling on. Not Matt Murray lvl yet but they be adding up

For TOR to have true success need to go trade for someone we know can give 45-55 games and has put up good results.

Its not hate stop being silly its the fact going with this kid as the full time starter is to risky of a gamble to be worth it in comparison to trading for someone else

As if he gets hurt like he did last time were ****ED especially come playoffs

Thats why you need a tandem guy.
May 8 at 5:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 5:20 p.m.
Thats why you need a tandem guy.

Tandem guy still an issue based on what we saw this year .

Goalie markets not good rn and while there are a few okay names they aint crazy either.

TOR need someone whose gonna be the guy, someone who can play 50 games and who can carry them on a long run, steal games, and leave the team with little fear of injuries or other factors in regular season or playoffs.

Not someone who you need to worry about health issues with or someone we got to go okay if Woll goes down can he be the guy not let in some stinkers or whose gonna get overwhelmed in the role.

Only team rn doing a true tandem till the playoffs was BOS. And yes we have seen old examples in the past but come on MAF/Murray were in a class of themselves with nothing coming close and Murray also got hurt

TOR has a short window and relying on an injury prone guy and then some other guy whose not a true starter aint the best recipe. Yes VGK did it but its a real one off example. If we look at the last few winner before than all are using legit starters

2022 Kuemper
2020, 2021 Vasilevskiy
2019 Binnington
2018 Holtby
2016, 2017 Murray/MAF

Whether its Saros, Sorokin, Kuemper, Markstrom, etc all these guys need to be explored as this team will benefit.

If you can get Sorokin your set
May 8 at 5:33 p.m.
Rip
Tandem guy still an issue based on what we saw this year .

Goalie markets not good rn and while there are a few okay names they aint crazy either.

TOR need someone whose gonna be the guy, someone who can play 50 games and who can carry them on a long run, steal games, and leave the team with little fear of injuries or other factors in regular season or playoffs.

Not someone who you need to worry about health issues with or someone we got to go okay if Woll goes down can he be the guy not let in some stinkers or whose gonna get overwhelmed in the role.

Only team rn doing a true tandem till the playoffs was BOS. And yes we have seen old examples in the past but come on MAF/Murray were in a class of themselves with nothing coming close and Murray also got hurt

TOR has a short window and relying on an injury prone guy and then some other guy whose not a true starter aint the best recipe. Yes VGK did it but its a real one off example. If we look at the last few winner before than all are using legit starters

2022 Kuemper
2020, 2021 Vasilevskiy
2019 Binnington
2018 Holtby
2016, 2017 Murray/MAF

Whether its Saros, Sorokin, Kuemper, Markstrom, etc all these guys need to be explored as this team will benefit.

If you can get Sorokin your set

Except Samsonov is not a good goalie. Never has been. He had a decent regular season last year. Over his entire career he's below average. Woll needs some injury luck, and hopefully he gets a good off season to build his body up. Find someone who can play 41 games and we are fine.

Who is going to be available that will 100% be a #1? Saros? What trade Marner for him? Or Cowan? A first? Get out of here. He's already 30. Sorokin is certainly good but how much will that cost?

Kuemper? Not even the starter on his ****ty team. Markstrom? He's battled injuries as well recently and has been very below average for a while. What's the point of spending big only to end up with a mid goalie who loses the job to Woll. Because all of these guys apart from Saros and Sorokin are a big step down.

Would you pay a 1st, Minten and a Liljegren for Sorokin? Or Cowan?

I would absolutely not. Because you never know what you get with goalies.
May 8 at 6:04 p.m.
Rip
If CGY was willing to ret on Markstrom I would take a peek. Age for goalies is almost nothing considering Mike Smith took EDM to the semi finals and a 40 year old Tim Thomas won a cup

Knight came out of player assistance a while ago and was in the AHL due to Stolarz. He's with the team rn as the #3.

You like to point to outliers to justify your ideas eh? What makes things difficult when discussing stuff with you is you'll use outliers to justify your point of view. Like Markstrom is worth looking at but he's also been injury prone the past few seasons. Oh and on top of being injury prone, he's been below average for 3 of 4 seasons in Calgary. And turning 35 next season.

Spending on a goalie is wasteful. Whoever you get better be better than Woll otherwise you spent major assets to get a backup. Because a healthy Woll is a very good goalie.
May 8 at 6:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 6:58 p.m.
You like to point to outliers to justify your ideas eh? What makes things difficult when discussing stuff with you is you'll use outliers to justify your point of view. Like Markstrom is worth looking at but he's also been injury prone the past few seasons. Oh and on top of being injury prone, he's been below average for 3 of 4 seasons in Calgary. And turning 35 next season.

Spending on a goalie is wasteful. Whoever you get better be better than Woll otherwise you spent major assets to get a backup. Because a healthy Woll is a very good goalie.

Look at how many games Markstrom has played over the past 3 years more than Woll thats for sure. Woll's played 25 games in his first full stint in the NHL thanks to an injury and then played 2 playoff games and got hurt again

A healthy Woll yes is a nice goalie but thats if and when he's healthy. Sadly2w32q he's proven to be injury prone and has not hit the 30 game mark for the past 4 years.

Is Markstrom my first option no but he is an option to explore. And CGY aint a good team so dont look to much into the numbers but still a 2.78gaa and a 0.905 on a weaker team aint bad.

In the end will say this going into next season thinking Woll's gonna be the bonified starter capable of playing 40+ games and staying healthy is a massive mistake as the results in 2 different leagues show it guy is injury prone

Going out and getting a legitimate starter like Saros, Sorokin, etc is the wiser move and yes while its also a gamble its the safer one
May 8 at 6:20 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Hey @Random2152
I was watching an OhNyquist video (for anyone unfamiliar he’s a hockey YouTuber with like 75k subscribers) where he reacted to capfriendly ACGM or trade machine trades and your suggestion of Marner for Ekblad and Knight came up lol. For anyone interested to see his take on it the link is here
May 8 at 7:02 p.m.
Rip
Look at how many games Markstrom has played over the past 5 years more than Woll thats for sure. Woll's played 25 games in a full season and has had 2 injuries

A healthy Woll yes is a nice goalie but thats when he's healthy. But sadly thats rare as he's proven to be injury prone and has not hit the 30 game mark for the past 4 years.

Is he my first option no but he is an option to explore. And CGY aint a good team so dont look to much into the numbers but still a 2.78gaa and a 0.905 on a weaker team aint bad

As I will say this going into next season thinking Woll's gonna be the bonified starter capable of playing 40+ games and staying healthy is a massive mistake as the results in 2 different leagues show it guy cant stay healthy.

He's going to be part of the equation whether or not you want to believe it. If he stays healthy, he's getting at least half the starts. Otherwise you may as well give up on him.
May 8 at 7:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Hey Random2152
I was watching an OhNyquist video (for anyone unfamiliar he’s a hockey YouTuber with like 75k subscribers) where he reacted to capfriendly ACGM or trade machine trades and your suggestion of Marner for Ekblad and Knight came up lol. For anyone interested to see his take on it the link is here

Honestly if Marner is willing to go or even if its not him but just in general

NSH feels like a good trade partner for TOR

They have Saros, Fabbro, picks, prospects etc

Would love a trade involving Saros + Fabbro to TOR
Saskleaf liked this.
May 8 at 7:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 7:53 p.m.
https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1787453555432882277?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Considering all I said above this has the makings for a potential disaster.

Just trade for a Saros, Sorokin, etc and save us a headache or a bunch of what ifs
May 8 at 8:17 p.m.
Former NHL Executive
Just throwing it out there that a few "insiders" I've spoken to have mentioned that they believe Mark Hunter is the leading GM candidate for both Edmonton (Holland is retiring) and Columbus.

Apparently he has recently been telling both teams that Marner would be a part of his strategy and given Marner's NMC that he feels he could get him cheap.

Pretty well known that Hunter put his job on the line to draft Mitch in Toronto and remains really close to Mitch and his family.

One person went as far as to say that the best case for Toronto might be if he goes to Columbus and they draft Sam Dickinson (London Knight) in which case Jirick and/or Mateychuck could become available in a Marner trade.

Also has someone say that they wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Mitch worked together to hardball the Leafs including forcing Cowan into any Marner deal.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 8 at 8:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Rajvinder
Just throwing it out there that a few "insiders" I've spoken to have mentioned that they believe Mark Hunter is the leading GM candidate for both Edmonton (Holland is retiring) and Columbus.

Apparently he has recently been telling both teams that Marner would be a part of his strategy and given Marner's NMC that he feels he could get him cheap.

Pretty well known that Hunter put his job on the line to draft Mitch in Toronto and remains really close to Mitch and his family.

One person went as far as to say that the best case for Toronto might be if he goes to Columbus and they draft Sam Dickinson (London Knight) in which case Jirick and/or Mateychuck could become available in a Marner trade.

Also has someone say that they wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Mitch worked together to hardball the Leafs including forcing Cowan into any Marner deal.

Yea as soon as we hear CBJ it feels like the sketchy rumour sites

Nobody especially Marner wants to go there even if you know someone.
May 8 at 9:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 9:50 p.m.
See it is possible to score more than 2 goals on Swayman lul

That whole need to win 2-1 excuse goes out the window

Big 4 can learn a thing or two from FLA lul
May 8 at 11:50 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Rajvinder

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a Marner for a Jiricek trade materialize. Columbus seems like a hard sell, but if Hunter is there then I could definitely see it. Plus it's a smaller market which is something I'd definitely want if I were put in Mitchs position. Jiricek and Columbus' relationship seems tumultuous, and Jiricek would literally be a perfect addition to the Leafs blueline. CBJ is one of the few teams I think makes genuine sense as a landing spot for Marner. Replacing Jiricek with a more familiar and similarly skilled Sam Dickinson would be very solid for the Jackets. I don't hate the idea whatsoever, just feels like a lot of pieces need to fall into place for it to happen
Saskleaf liked this.
May 9 at 12:00 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a Marner for a Jiricek trade materialize. Columbus seems like a hard sell, but if Hunter is there then I could definitely see it. Plus it's a smaller market which is something I'd definitely want if I were put in Mitchs position. Jiricek and Columbus' relationship seems tumultuous, and Jiricek would literally be a perfect addition to the Leafs blueline. CBJ is one of the few teams I think makes genuine sense as a landing spot for Marner. Replacing Jiricek with a more familiar and similarly skilled Sam Dickinson would be very solid for the Jackets. I don't hate the idea whatsoever, just feels like a lot of pieces need to fall into place for it to happen

Idk to me if im Marner its a place I dont want to go unless its a sign and trade

As he's gonna lose money and stuff playing there vs here with Matthews and Nylander . But is CBJ gonna be okay with a 12.5m Marner

Still though man even with Hunter I cant see him go yea CBJ lul

NSH makes sense due to what they have and what we want but man I cant see him wanting to go there either.

Saros + Fabbro would be a nice add for us as its basically 2 birds with one stone kind of thing

The team though I honestly see him almost forcing or waiving for is FLA. To join his old Knight line mate Tkachuck but TOR trading with a divisional rival would be dumb even if an Ekblad was coming.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 9 at 12:03 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Idk to me if im Marner its a place I dont want to go unless its a sign and trade

As he's gonna lose money and stuff playing there vs here with Matthews and Nylander

But man even with Hunter I cant see him go yea CBJ lul

NSH makes sense due to what they have and what we want but man I cant see him wanting to go there either.

The team I honestly see him waiving for is FLA. To join his old Knight line mate Tkachuck but TOR trading with a divisional rival would be dumb even if an Ekblad was coming

I didnt hate the idea proposed by Random earlier that suggested an Ekblad and Knight swap for Mitch. Don't love the idea of trading Marner to a divisional rival, but it's not as bit of a deal as most people think.

I personally don't think Marner is going anywhere. They are just going to wait out the JT deal. Book it. I'll believe it when I see it, this team will never trade Mitch Marner (and that is completely fine by me)
May 9 at 12:12 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 9 at 12:57 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I didnt hate the idea proposed by Random earlier that suggested an Ekblad and Knight swap for Mitch. Don't love the idea of trading Marner to a divisional rival, but it's not as bit of a deal as most people think.

I personally don't think Marner is going anywhere. They are just going to wait out the JT deal. Book it. I'll believe it when I see it, this team will never trade Mitch Marner (and that is completely fine by me)

I didnt mind it but man do both sides want to help eachother cause they may face eachother next playoffs

The team that makes sense to me for a Marner deal is NSH due to basically Saros

TOR then has its starter and factoring an extension has its starter established. And can then potentially look at a move involving one of Woll or Hildeby for a Dman like Jireck or something.

Basically can kill 2 birds with two stones and then in FA focus on one big Dman and some nice forwards
May 9 at 2:06 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited May 9 at 2:18 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Hey Random2152

Oh boy. Did I get skewered?

Also, why does everyone pronouce my name as twenty-one fifty-two?
It's two-one-five-two lmao
Saskleaf liked this.
May 9 at 2:28 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 9 at 2:34 a.m.
I didnt mind it but man do both sides want to help eachother cause they may face eachother next playoffs

The team that makes sense to me for a Marner deal is NSH due to basically Saros

TOR then has its starter and factoring an extension has its starter established. And can then potentially look at a move involving one of Woll or Hildeby for a Dman like Jireck or something.

Basically can kill 2 birds with two stones and then in FA focus on one big Dman and some nice forwards

hmmm.jpg

Honestly not bad

JT then comes off the books next year and you can see how Minten and Cowen do
Saskleaf liked this.
May 9 at 10:55 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Random2152
Oh boy. Did I get skewered?

Also, why does everyone pronouce my name as twenty-one fifty-two?
It's two-one-five-two lmao

He wasn’t terribly hard on you, he thought it was one of the better ones but he did call it “something you’d do on NHL 24” lol.

Lol, I didn’t know it really mattered but I’ll have to keep that in mind lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll