SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs Prospects, Draft Picks and More

May 14 at 5:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife
I’d agree with your point, but unless you feel you have a legitimate shot to win the Cup, trade your pending UFAs. However, I find it funny that while 0/4 guys you mentioned were traded, 3/4 left and signed massive deals elsewhere.

Thats how almost every team entering the playoffs feels

Nobody is going in and feeling oh were ****ed

Playoffs are never set in stone as to how they will go

We have seen record breakers fall quick and Cinderella runs

No competitive team is gonna trade their pending UFA's unless they are going for someone better who heck may also be a pending UFA lul

If JT never happened where would Bozak and JVR have extended in TOR, probs yes. TOR would have had no choice in the matter
May 14 at 5:42 p.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: aadoyle
Dewar and Holmberg are more on the defensive end and are not real point getters.

2-way guys would be more like

Toffoli, Stephenson, Teräväinen, etc

Guys who can be on a PP and PK, give yah points, and just be effective

Now if I was to look at reasonable options

Heinen and Foegele would be interesting additions.

If we want to trade Texier is a name that would spark interest

Fair enough, I've looked at Foegle a little bit and I think he could be a good FA addition
May 14 at 5:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: fangm
My #1 target this summer would be Brandt Clarke.

From LA's perspective, they have problems in net and upfront that are much more pressing than adding to their D core. They also have Doughty and Spence who are similar offensive minded RHD. I just don't see them doing well if they go into next season with Doughty, Spence, Clarke as their RHD. They wouldn't be able to maximize the value of any of them given there is limited PP time to share and they wouldn't have a single D pairing with two guys who can play real solid in the defensive zone.

So as much as LA fans will say he is untouchable, I think if you really look at their lineup, it doesn't make sense. Maybe they do what they did last offseason and trade the proven commodity in Spence to make space for Clarke (the same way they traded Durzi to make space for Spence) but that didn't go well last time.

From Toronto's perspective, Clarke is unproven and would likely cost a significant asset (Marner) but he profiles exactly like Bouchard when looking at his style and point production at the junior/AHL levels while being better than Bouchard in his own zone (low bar but he clears it). Toronto could afford to pair him with a solid DFD to support him at 5v5 then let him lose on the PP. He'd finally give the Leafs a legit PP QB with a wicked shot, great vision and solid passing. I think having his shot on the PP will massively improve the PP cause right now forwards really cheat on Matthews because Marner and Rielly don't have great shots. If the guy at the top can wire it and you have Bertuzzi or another big body in front of the next then they need to cover that lane which should leave Matthews and Nylander open on the halfwalls to take shots.

I personally think this is the biggest need for the team immediately. Obviously if you could rebuild the team from scratch there is lots about the identity that we'd all want to change but if you are asking me the easiest way to get this team out of the first round, then IMO its getting a PP QB like Clarke to ensure we score 4/5 PP goals per series, that alone should be enough to overcome the 1/2 goals we always seem to lose by.

Second priority would be getting support for Woll, again if we have him at his best and we save 2-3 more goals per series suddenly these two changes are increasing out goal differential in a 7 game series by 6/7 goals.

LA aint giving him up so put that to rest

The teams fans already told yah in the ACGM's 0 interest in Marner and we have said 0 interest in PLD

And I doubt LA has actual interest in trading for and extending Marner to 11.5-12.5m. Look how the last big trade went for them lul

LA's gonna move on from Roy giving Clarke a spot and thats his chance and considering Doughty is gonna be done soon Clarke makes all the sense in the world for them to keep lul
CameronSquires liked this.
May 14 at 5:46 p.m.
Cowan Season

Fans already told yah 0 interest in Marner and we have 0 interest in PLD

And I doubt LA has actual interest in trading for and extending Marner to 11.5-12.5m

LA's gonna move on from Roy giving Clarke a spot.

I think if LA moves on from Roy, the Leafs should be all over him for a 5-6 year deal.
Don't have to give up assets and I think he'd be a great 1RD
May 14 at 5:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 5:53 p.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
I think if LA moves on from Roy, the Leafs should be all over him for a 5-6 year deal.
Don't have to give up assets and I think he'd be a great 1RD

If he is in the 5-5.5m range sure but this also factors if we can move off from one of the core and stuff

If not then stay clear and target someone cheaper but good defensively like Demelo, Tanev, etc.

Like im honestly rn seeing

Tanev + Walker coming next year
May 14 at 6:11 p.m.

The teams fans already told yah in the ACGM's 0 interest in Marner and we have said 0 interest in PLD

And I doubt LA has actual interest in trading for and extending Marner to 11.5-12.5m. Look how the last big trade went for them lul

LA's gonna move on from Roy giving Clarke a spot and thats his chance and considering Doughty is gonna be done soon Clarke makes all the sense in the world for them to keep lul

Again I don't think it's that simple. They have Doughty at $11M for 3 season. They are likely giving Spence a new deal this summer.

It's the equivalent (not in term of quality but player type) to use playing Rielly, Sandin, Dermott as your LD. Anyone who has watched a single hockey game knows that team isn't winning anything. No matter how good those three guys are at their role.

I'd also point out that Villardi was seen as untouchable by Kings fans last summer and got moved. Kings fans think their window is with Byfield/Clarke, Management thinks its with Kopitar/Doughty. Honestly i think their Management it right. In 3 seasons you likely lose both, Danault is in his mid 30s and unless they move Dubois or Byfield back to C they will have no centers and likely a bottom 5 forward core and goalie tandem.

If they can turn Fiala + Clarke into Marner + Saros I think they'd be crazy not to do it.

Again they could move Doughty or Spence or run a D core that will crumble (like this year) but if you ask most hockey analysts moving Clarke makes the most sense, they get a 100point forward (they didn't have a single PPG player last year and there were 33 last season not including guys with under 60 games played).

I also generally think this attitude that LA won't move him so we shouldn't try is BS. If we are going to be moving off of guys like Marner, Tavares (more points than any UFA center) then we shouldn't just be doing it for random returns we should do it for specific players we are targeting. I'd easily do Marner + Tavares for Clarke and LA can pay Chicago or Anaheim a 2nd after July 1st to retain 50% on each (like 800k in real money). That's deal that makes LA infinitely better (especially if Marner comes extended) they can move Fiala for Saros, cap works and they have a serious cup contender.
May 14 at 6:12 p.m.
If he is in the 5-5.5m range sure but this also factors if we can move off from one of the core and stuff

If not then stay clear and target someone cheaper but good defensively like Demelo, Tanev, etc.

Like im honestly rn seeing

Tanev + Walker coming next year

Walker isn't coming. He's the farthest think from what Tre wants.
May 14 at 6:16 p.m.
Fair enough, I've looked at Foegle a little bit and I think he could be a good FA addition

Foegele would be a horrible addition unless it's in a Gregor-type role. He's like Jake Gardiner/Justin Holl as a forward, he's a better version of Gregor 95% of the time but the other 5% he makes the most boneheaded plays. Like last night he single handedly cost edmonton the game with two defensive zone turnovers. One was literally a pass to a Vancouver player in the slot. If anything we need more stability/predictability in the bottom 6 and more offense and risk taking from our top 6. This idea that Matthew/Marner will play a solid 200 foot game and defend while Knies/Robertson/McMann/Bert/Domi, etc score goals is so absurd. We need to get back to the formula of the bottom 6 guys just adding energy and being net zero/slightly positive and allowing the top guys to take risks and trust that they can outscore other teams. The whole top to bottom team D with depth scoring strategy has never worked for this team and never will. If that is seriously the strategy then guys like Nylander/Matthews should be traded and we can rebuild the 2019 St Louis Blues with O'Reilly/Schenn both defensive centers in the top 6.
May 14 at 6:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 6:44 p.m.
Walker isn't coming. He's the farthest think from what Tre wants.

What was the defense's issue in the playoffs

1. Little to no offense and 2. Inability to move the puck

Walker fits both those things , can PK, and will cost less than the alternatives (Montour = 6.5-7m, Skjei 5.85-7m)

We have already seen Brad go out of his norm this year and go for someone like Klingberg.

So saying he's the farthest thing Tre wants goes out the window lul
May 14 at 6:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 6:40 p.m.
Again I don't think it's that simple. They have Doughty at $11M for 3 season. They are likely giving Spence a new deal this summer.

It's the equivalent (not in term of quality but player type) to use playing Rielly, Sandin, Dermott as your LD. Anyone who has watched a single hockey game knows that team isn't winning anything. No matter how good those three guys are at their role.

I'd also point out that Villardi was seen as untouchable by Kings fans last summer and got moved. Kings fans think their window is with Byfield/Clarke, Management thinks its with Kopitar/Doughty. Honestly i think their Management it right. In 3 seasons you likely lose both, Danault is in his mid 30s and unless they move Dubois or Byfield back to C they will have no centers and likely a bottom 5 forward core and goalie tandem.

If they can turn Fiala + Clarke into Marner + Saros I think they'd be crazy not to do it.

Again they could move Doughty or Spence or run a D core that will crumble (like this year) but if you ask most hockey analysts moving Clarke makes the most sense, they get a 100point forward (they didn't have a single PPG player last year and there were 33 last season not including guys with under 60 games played).

I also generally think this attitude that LA won't move him so we shouldn't try is BS. If we are going to be moving off of guys like Marner, Tavares (more points than any UFA center) then we shouldn't just be doing it for random returns we should do it for specific players we are targeting. I'd easily do Marner + Tavares for Clarke and LA can pay Chicago or Anaheim a 2nd after July 1st to retain 50% on each (like 800k in real money). That's deal that makes LA infinitely better (especially if Marner comes extended) they can move Fiala for Saros, cap works and they have a serious cup contender.

Its very simple Clarke plays the second pair next season and when Doughty slows down they lower him down and Clarke takes more responsibility lul. No need to bring Roy back to a big contract when you got the replacement right there

Andersson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence

And sure Kings traded Vilardi but look where that got them. They now stuck with a worse deal and a potential anchor you think they want that again hell nah.

In the end Clarke fits the current plans for the kings, Marner does not

The fans of their team told yah that and now we have
May 14 at 6:51 p.m.
Its very simple Clarke plays the second pair next season and when Doughty slows down they lower him down and Clarke takes more responsibility lul. No need to bring Roy back to a big contract when you got the replacement right there

Andersson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence

And sure Kings traded Vilardi but look where that got them. They now stuck with a worse deal and a potential anchor you think they want that again hell nah.

In the end Clarke fits the current plans for the kings, Marner does not

The fans of their team told yah that and now we have

Again sounds good in theory until you actually look at that that D core and realize you don't have any pairing you can put out in a 1 goal game. None of Doughty/Clarke/Spence are guys you want out when you are up by 1.
May 14 at 6:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 7:01 p.m.
Again sounds good in theory until you actually look at that that D core and realize you don't have any pairing you can put out in a 1 goal game. None of Doughty/Clarke/Spence are guys you want out when you are up by 1.

Andersson-Doughty or heck Gavrikov-Doughty tears of joy

Man the takes be getting rougher for yah lul

Like Doughty has been in the league for a long time and has been good at both ends of course he's gonna be out there the final min unless hurt or on rotation.

Andersson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence
May 14 at 7:11 p.m.
Former NHL Executive
Andersson-Doughty or heck Gavrikov-Doughty tears of joy

Man the takes be getting rougher for yah lul

Like Doughty has been in the league for a long time and has been good at both ends of course he's gonna be out there the final min unless hurt or on rotation.

Andersson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence

I'm sorry I try not to post in a critical way but you are insulting someone with a crazy level or arrogance when you are so wrong it's not even funny.

Roy gets the majority of D zone starts for LA. He is on PK1, he is out in the last minute.

Doughty is not a defensive D. It's the equivalent of playing Morgan Rielly in the last minute when up by 1 goal. It's not a winning strategy.

Having worked for Rob, I would be shocked if he went into the season with Doughty, Spence, Clarke. If they did that I wouldn't be surprised if they were nowhere near playoff contention, it would be a disaster.

Which of the three they move I'm not sure. It's definetly not Doughty. Spence likely fetches a 2nd or 3rd in a Durzi type trade and can be replaced by DeMelo/Desharnais/Tanev or any other DFD. That is likely the plan.

But to say Clarke is untouchable is absurd. Pretty much every insider reported at the deadline that he was on the table. LA fans don't want him to move cause he has Erik Karlsson type potential but as the other poster said, those fans don't understand the current window has 1-3 years.

There isn't a window in 5 years from now. Dubois killed that. If they still had Byfield/Dubois(as a 1C)/Fiala/Spence/Clarke/Andersson after Doughty/Kopitar left then he would be untouchable.

Now they have nobody to play down the middle and no goalie. It's too many holes to consider that a window. Kings will either retool (highly unlikely) or go all in next year.

The Fiala for Saros/Marner for Clarke suggestions isn't far off from what LA management is actually thinking. Ulmark is their goalie target but I can see them trading a winger for Ulmark then trading Clarke for Marner. That would make them an instant top contender next season.
May 14 at 7:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 8:12 p.m.
Quoting: Rajvinder
I'm sorry I try not to post in a critical way but you are insulting someone with a crazy level or arrogance when you are so wrong it's not even funny.

Roy gets the majority of D zone starts for LA. He is on PK1, he is out in the last minute.

Doughty is not a defensive D. It's the equivalent of playing Morgan Rielly in the last minute when up by 1 goal. It's not a winning strategy.

Having worked for Rob, I would be shocked if he went into the season with Doughty, Spence, Clarke. If they did that I wouldn't be surprised if they were nowhere near playoff contention, it would be a disaster.

Which of the three they move I'm not sure. It's definetly not Doughty. Spence likely fetches a 2nd or 3rd in a Durzi type trade and can be replaced by DeMelo/Desharnais/Tanev or any other DFD. That is likely the plan.

But to say Clarke is untouchable is absurd. Pretty much every insider reported at the deadline that he was on the table. LA fans don't want him to move cause he has Erik Karlsson type potential but as the other poster said, those fans don't understand the current window has 1-3 years.

There isn't a window in 5 years from now. Dubois killed that. If they still had Byfield/Dubois(as a 1C)/Fiala/Spence/Clarke/Andersson after Doughty/Kopitar left then he would be untouchable.

Now they have nobody to play down the middle and no goalie. It's too many holes to consider that a window. Kings will either retool (highly unlikely) or go all in next year.

The Fiala for Saros/Marner for Clarke suggestions isn't far off from what LA management is actually thinking. Ulmark is their goalie target but I can see them trading a winger for Ulmark then trading Clarke for Marner. That would make them an instant top contender next season.

GIo1HtCXQAAV5LQ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Yea this aint looking good for your statment.

Doughty’s 5v5 expected goal share would be the highest of his career at 57.64%, according to Evolving Hockey. He leads the Kings blueliners in 5v5 relative expected goal share (on-ice xGF% – off-ice xGF%) and on-ice Corsi at 57.59% during 5v5 play, according to MoneyPuck.com.

As for Goalie go trade for Markstrom that aint hard was it

And man you say you worked for an NHL FO, claimed to be talking with NHL executives left and right but Kings fans and others fans have questioned it numerous times on your ACGM's which is making me very doubtful anything said is legit past and present. As why would a person who claims to be a "Former NHL Executive" be on CF of all places and make questionable posts and not good trades of all things using unprofessional arguments and speech to justify things. Should have the knowledge to know thats not correct in the hockey or real world. Like Domi + Brodie + Robertson for K'Miller come on you should know better thats never gonna happen if yah actually worked in the gig. Thats what people who have no idea what trade values are do or trolls just wanting attention/to mess around

Or could just be Howard Berger's CF account lul
May 14 at 8:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Foegele would make sense and has shown he can be a nice player like Jarnkrok has been for us. If Deals right would welcome him back
May 14 at 8:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Why are we talking about the Kings in the Leafs prospect forums???
aadoyle liked this.
May 14 at 8:44 p.m.

Doughty’s 5v5 expected goal share would be the highest of his career at 57.64%, according to Evolving Hockey. He leads the Kings blueliners in 5v5 relative expected goal share (on-ice xGF% – off-ice xGF%) and on-ice Corsi at 57.59% during 5v5 play, according to MoneyPuck.com.

And man you say you worked for an NHL FO, claimed to be talking with NHL executives left and right but Kings fans and others fans have questioned it numerous times on your ACGM's which is making me very doubtful anything said is legit past and present. As why would a person who claims to be a "Former NHL Executive" be on CF of all places and make questionable posts and not good trades of all things using unprofessional arguments and speech to justify things. Should have the knowledge to know thats not correct in the hockey or real world. Like Domi + Brodie + Robertson for K'Miller come on you should know better thats never gonna happen if yah actually worked in the gig. Thats what people who have no idea what trade values are do or trolls just wanting attention/to mess around

Again, not considering deployment which is what that guy was trying to explain to you. Desharnais has league leading defensive analytics metrics. He plays super sheltered minutes on a top team. Doesn't mean he's the top DFD in the league.

Look at brodie, literally #1 DFD per Andy and Rono and he can't make the lineup. Or benoit who has a 100 Defense rating per Andy and Rono. You need to understand context or else you become the current Leafs or Hurricanes with teams that analytically are unbeatable but somehow always get unlucky. When you are unlucky every single year maybe the stats you are using just don't reflect the game properly.
May 14 at 8:45 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Because I said the top target for Toronto this season should be Brandt Clarke who would be a killer PP QB. And proposed that we use the big chips we have (Marner, Tavares, Rielly, etc.) to get him.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 14 at 9:31 p.m.
Former NHL Executive

Can't just share these without understanding context this is where many people (very smart ones) go wrong.
May 14 at 9:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14 at 10:20 p.m.

Someone keeps insisting Marner for Clarke is gonna be a thing and make sense for both sides when for LA it dont

Told em why it didnt but they dont seem to learn as we have 0 interest in PLD and LA has 0 interest in Marner

Anyways whole things silly was done with it a while ago ignore it lul I am
May 14 at 10:37 p.m.
Cowan Season
Does anyone think at least one of

Webber, Mattinen, Kokkonen, Chadwick, Villeneuve or Niemela will play in the NHL next season for at least a couple games?
May 14 at 11:05 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Webber, Mattinen, Kokkonen, Chadwick, Villeneuve or Niemela will play in the NHL next season for at least a couple games?

Mattinen may get a look, I feel like he will be callup option number one. Hell, he may even be apart of our plans at 3RD.

I'd love to see Niemela get games. I'm such a big fan of his, he has been excellent with the Marlies every step of the way. Kokkonen received high praise under Keefe, but LD is a complete log jam. I think Webber would fill in as an LD replacement before Kokkonen. Chadwick will probably not touch NHL ice next season, and same goes for Villeneuve who was very disappointing this season.
May 15 at 1:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Chadwick no

Villenueve maybe

Kokkonen idk as Keefe aint here anymore

Mattinen yes

Webber maybe
May 15 at 1:15 a.m.
Former NHL Executive

Mattinen may get a look, I feel like he will be callup option number one. Hell, he may even be apart of our plans at 3RD.

I'd love to see Niemela get games. I'm such a big fan of his, he has been excellent with the Marlies every step of the way. Kokkonen received high praise under Keefe, but LD is a complete log jam. I think Webber would fill in as an LD replacement before Kokkonen. Chadwick will probably not touch NHL ice next season, and same goes for Villeneuve who was very disappointing this season.

Chadwick no

Villenueve maybe

Kokkonen idk as Keefe aint here anymore

Mattinen yes

Webber maybe

If you are all looking for a name most fan won't know who is going to impact the Leafs next year the answer is Jacob Quillan. He is higher on the center depth chart than Minten (not as high of potential but closer to reaching his).

I'd be shocked if he didn't get some games in the NHL and wouldn't be surprised if he got a job out of camp or earned a place on the roster during the season.

Out of the names you provided, Webber will be the 7-9th D so likely to get games. Niemla could honestly be traded, he isn't going to be a stud and even if he hit his potential today he's at best a Lili replacement if Lili flops. But he could get games if he's in the organization.
May 15 at 1:18 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Rajvinder
If you are all looking for a name most fan won't know who is going to impact the Leafs next year the answer is Jacob Quillan. He is higher on the center depth chart than Minten (not as high of potential but closer to reaching his).

I'd be shocked if he didn't get some games in the NHL and wouldn't be surprised if he got a job out of camp or earned a place on the roster during the season.

Out of the names you provided, Webber will be the 7-9th D so likely to get games. Niemla could honestly be traded, he isn't going to be a stud and even if he hit his potential today he's at best a Lili replacement if Lili flops. But he could get games if he's in the organization.

100000% agree

People don't understand how good Quillan is and how close he is to being an NHL player. The intensity he plays him will bring him places. Really solid natural center who doesn't male overly flashy plays but does everything right. Excites to see what he does over the summer, hopefully he gets a legit chance in the preseason 🤞

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll