Forums/Armchair-GM

Imagine if Hextall Didnt Ruin The Team

Created by: edeangel84
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2024
Published: May 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team would be playing right now. Who knows what else would have happened and where we’d be but I’m confident without those abysmal trades and without bringing back Geno we would be in the playoffs and probably still have the playoff streak going.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$77,275,175$0$80,000$6,224,825
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$857,500$857,500 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the New York Rangers
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 12 at 7:47 p.m.
We had it all
May 12 at 7:53 p.m.
Bee
Trochek?
May 12 at 7:54 p.m.
Honest question from an outsider. How much was Hextall, and how much was ownership saying he needed to make moves to win "now"? Then they get rid of him and get Dubas who seems to have been exactly what ownership wanted in going out and getting EK...and now it looks grim?
May 12 at 7:59 p.m.
Quoting: Bee
Trochek?

It’s the signing that everyone believes they would have done with hindsight being 20:20
May 12 at 8:19 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: Bee
Trochek?

Instead of resigning Malkin
May 12 at 8:19 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: NYR1983
It’s the signing that everyone believes they would have done with hindsight being 20:20

It’s the signing a lot of us wanted that summer.
May 12 at 8:31 p.m.
So Malkin is not on the team but somehow Jeff Cartee is?
May 12 at 9:22 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: la_scaloneta
So Malkin is not on the team but somehow Jeff Cartee is?

Malkin walks as a UFA. Trochek is signed in his place. Carter either gets picked by Seattle or doesn’t get the dumb extension so he’s a UFA. Who knows, but I do know this team is a playoff team and wins at least one round.
May 12 at 9:27 p.m.
Let's be real, do you really think this team is an improvement over what we have now?
Lafferty is a 4th liner at best, and both he and Blueger are seeing much less ice time in the playoffs. Marino's defense was much better last season than this one. Trocheck had 10 more points centering mostly Panarin and Lafreniere than Malkin had centering mostly Smith and an injured Rakell. Trocheck isn't coming close to 67 points with wingers like Malkin had for most of the season. Replacing Geno with Vince would be a downgrade.
The team's depth is still suspect, and in hindsight the only guys Hextall shipped out who I particularly think make the team better are McCann and Matheson.
May 12 at 10:55 p.m.
DNP1932
Quoting: Haymaker26
Let's be real, do you really think this team is an improvement over what we have now?
Lafferty is a 4th liner at best, and both he and Blueger are seeing much less ice time in the playoffs. Marino's defense was much better last season than this one. Trocheck had 10 more points centering mostly Panarin and Lafreniere than Malkin had centering mostly Smith and an injured Rakell. Trocheck isn't coming close to 67 points with wingers like Malkin had for most of the season. Replacing Geno with Vince would be a downgrade.
The team's depth is still suspect, and in hindsight the only guys Hextall shipped out who I particularly think make the team better are McCann and Matheson.

Yeah idk, like i get it, but its sorta cherry picked, keeping the carter and letang extension but getting rid of the malkin’s, sure hes regressed but he certainly outplayed Trocheck the 1st year of each respective contract, this year yeah you definitely have a point with the quality of each’s linemates. Also can make an argument that if malkin gets moved to wing either last year or this coming year he will out produce him. Puusty probably out produces Lafferty in a full season, I’m taking eller over Blueger just for the pure fact they fill the same role and eller had better availability, neither is ideal for 3C but both are passable. the defence is definitely more stable, but imo if youre gonna take away malkin, then letangs contract needs to go too, hes good for his age for sure, but hes consistently injured (I know that’s not his fault) and hes gonna be consistently going down the ranks as a #1 Dman. I agree with you this team isn’t that much superior if at all, the biggest factors are keeping McCann and a more stable D core for the past 2 years.
May 12 at 11:13 p.m.
DNP1932
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Honest question from an outsider. How much was Hextall, and how much was ownership saying he needed to make moves to win "now"? Then they get rid of him and get Dubas who seems to have been exactly what ownership wanted in going out and getting EK...and now it looks grim?

I think the ownership and core had a lot to do with the Letang and Malkin contracts, which imo aren’t the problem with this team. I think the HUGE problem with Hextall was his “retool” of the Defense, getting rid of matheson and Marino for basically nothing, matheson being swapped for Poeling and petry is atrocious, and obviously the Marino trade being a disaster. Like yeah the team as a whole might still be teetering on a WC spot but like the future would look a lot better in terms of having a younger 2nd pair and more flexibility. The contracts and what felt like forced trades were terrible too, granlund for a 2nd was confusing, resigning carter obviously turned out awful, and its not like that carter contract was a legacy signing like malkin and letangs were. Just a hand few of wins vs a heap of absolute terrible moves and signings. So i guess it’s more of a pressure from the team and ownership wants to keep this team competitive, but the moves and signings made were just disasters.
NJDevils1317 liked this.
May 13 at 6:09 a.m.
Quoting: edeangel84
Instead of resigning Malkin

how stupid would that be lol
May 13 at 9:32 a.m.
Yep - it's torture to look at man. Could even remove Carter since he was singed by Hextall, correct? It would look even better with Malkin in there over Trocheck too.
May 13 at 9:36 a.m.

That's probably impossible to answer - but the thing is I don't think Hextall actually made moves to "win now".
NJDevils1317 and Tintin liked this.
May 13 at 9:39 a.m.

Outside of the Malkin/Trocheck swap - I do think it's a better team. If we're correcting Hextall's mistakes, then we can also remove Carter's contract too which would give like 7mil to add another forward to help with depth
edeangel84 liked this.
May 13 at 9:47 a.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
That's probably impossible to answer - but the thing is I don't think Hextall actually made moves to "win now".

Yeah, I know sometimes things slip through the media (leaks), and wasn't sure how much is hindsight or if ownership was really forcing his hand. I can't remember at the time why PIT felt they had to move Marino (if it was to pay someone else), and if those corresponding moves were the killers.
JSEB93 liked this.
May 13 at 9:53 a.m.
Quoting: DNP1932
Yeah idk, like i get it, but its sorta cherry picked, keeping the carter and letang extension but getting rid of the malkin’s, sure hes regressed but he certainly outplayed Trocheck the 1st year of each respective contract, this year yeah you definitely have a point with the quality of each’s linemates. Also can make an argument that if malkin gets moved to wing either last year or this coming year he will out produce him. Puusty probably out produces Lafferty in a full season, I’m taking eller over Blueger just for the pure fact they fill the same role and eller had better availability, neither is ideal for 3C but both are passable. the defence is definitely more stable, but imo if youre gonna take away malkin, then letangs contract needs to go too, hes good for his age for sure, but hes consistently injured (I know that’s not his fault) and hes gonna be consistently going down the ranks as a #1 Dman. I agree with you this team isn’t that much superior if at all, the biggest factors are keeping McCann and a more stable D core for the past 2 years.

I'm honestly not so sure the defense would have been more stable.

Marino was pretty good his first season in NJ, but like I mentioned, his defense regressed heavily this season. Yeah, the Devils' goaltending was questionable this year, but he went from 2.05 goals against/60 last season to 3.35/60 this season. That's a gigantic drop, and goaltending is only going to be responsible for a part of it. He definitely was better than Petry in 22-23, but this season, he wasn't going to do us any favors.
And as great as Matheson's production has been in Montreal, he's also been worse defensively there, and missed nearly half of 22-23 with injuries. Again, part of his numbers being worse are simply from having tougher matchups as the #1 guy on a pretty bad team, but I'm still not sure that he'd be as good as he was in his final year in Pittsburgh had he stayed.

The difference with this roster for me is that accounting for Malkin's cap instead of Trocheck's, this team has a little over $5.5M to work with to add to the team. I still think it could use an upgrade on D or 3C, but the Pens would've had the space for it. Going for a reset to a couple years ago and then not adding on is as much of a solution as keeping the current roster the same is.
May 13 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
Outside of the Malkin/Trocheck swap - I do think it's a better team. If we're correcting Hextall's mistakes, then we can also remove Carter's contract too which would give like 7mil to add another forward to help with depth

And I think that's where my criticisms mostly lie. We can make these ACGMs of "oh, what if Hextall didn't make mistakes" and they undo his bad moves instead of replacing them with good ones. In hindsight, we have the cap space to add to this team, and we'd still have our '24 1st to use for an upgrade if we didn't make the Karlsson deal. The team wouldn't necessarily be better if Hextall didn't screw everything up, but it would have the assets and cap to make additions and be decisively better.
JSEB93 liked this.
May 13 at 10:11 a.m.
Yeah, I know sometimes things slip through the media (leaks), and wasn't sure how much is hindsight or if ownership was really forcing his hand. I can't remember at the time why PIT felt they had to move Marino (if it was to pay someone else), and if those corresponding moves were the killers.

True that happens - I get what you're saying. Honestly there might have been some leaks, and maybe I just missed it. I know there were rumors that Rutherford leaving was because he wanted to break up the core - but I don't remember there being anything released that said Hextall and ownership clashed at all. But again, there's definitely a possibility that I missed it. There's definitely going to be some hindsight involved - but I do feel like most, if not all, of the moves that Hextall is currently criticized for were also criticized back when they happened. And I do believe Hextall had the authority to make the moves he wanted to make - but maybe that's just my personal belief.

As for Marino I'm pretty sure your guess is correct. I think the only reason he was moved is because they traded Matheson for Petry. So he was basically a cap casualty at that point, one they caused themselves
NJDevils1317 liked this.
May 13 at 10:25 a.m.
And I think that's where my criticisms mostly lie. We can make these ACGMs of "oh, what if Hextall didn't make mistakes" and they undo his bad moves instead of replacing them with good ones. In hindsight, we have the cap space to add to this team, and we'd still have our '24 1st to use for an upgrade if we didn't make the Karlsson deal. The team wouldn't necessarily be better if Hextall didn't screw everything up, but it would have the assets and cap to make additions and be decisively better.

That's fair. I think the point of these is just to show where we'd be without his bad moves - even if we didn't make any good follow up moves. It just gives us a rough picture of where we'd be. Undoing his bad moves, in a way, is like a good move too. It's probably difficult to go back and make new moves in the past ya know?

Plus maybe Hextall didn't have to make any moves at all, so they didn't need replaced. If he makes a bad trade, you don't necessarily need to change that trade to a good one, you could just not do the trade at all. If that makes sense haha.
May 13 at 12:59 p.m.
DNP1932
I'm honestly not so sure the defense would have been more stable.

Marino was pretty good his first season in NJ, but like I mentioned, his defense regressed heavily this season. Yeah, the Devils' goaltending was questionable this year, but he went from 2.05 goals against/60 last season to 3.35/60 this season. That's a gigantic drop, and goaltending is only going to be responsible for a part of it. He definitely was better than Petry in 22-23, but this season, he wasn't going to do us any favors.
And as great as Matheson's production has been in Montreal, he's also been worse defensively there, and missed nearly half of 22-23 with injuries. Again, part of his numbers being worse are simply from having tougher matchups as the #1 guy on a pretty bad team, but I'm still not sure that he'd be as good as he was in his final year in Pittsburgh had he stayed.

The difference with this roster for me is that accounting for Malkin's cap instead of Trocheck's, this team has a little over $5.5M to work with to add to the team. I still think it could use an upgrade on D or 3C, but the Pens would've had the space for it. Going for a reset to a couple years ago and then not adding on is as much of a solution as keeping the current roster the same is.

I think the problem lies more with how they were moved, why, and what the returns were, lets face it neither the matheson and Marino moves were good, and even if we weren’t “technically” better we still would have more flexibility with younger still growing players compared to players that would be regressing. I think a more competent GM wouldve made much more meaningful moves with the same 2 players being traded out. The karlsson deal is ok in my eyes, and it wouldve never been made if it weren’t for the terrible moves that were made by hextall.
May 13 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: DNP1932
I think the problem lies more with how they were moved, why, and what the returns were, lets face it neither the matheson and Marino moves were good, and even if we weren’t “technically” better we still would have more flexibility with younger still growing players compared to players that would be regressing. I think a more competent GM wouldve made much more meaningful moves with the same 2 players being traded out. The karlsson deal is ok in my eyes, and it wouldve never been made if it weren’t for the terrible moves that were made by hextall.

I think we have a misunderstanding. My comment was about the ACGM, not Hextall's poor decisions. I agree with basically everything you said except for the EK deal comment. That rocks simply in how many of Hextall's mistakes it undid, let alone that it added a player of EK's caliber.
May 13 at 6:04 p.m.
DNP1932
I think we have a misunderstanding. My comment was about the ACGM, not Hextall's poor decisions. I agree with basically everything you said except for the EK deal comment. That rocks simply in how many of Hextall's mistakes it undid, let alone that it added a player of EK's caliber.

I would agree, and it wouldve looked a lot better if the team around him could actually finish the chances he created. Anyways, my bad then lol.
May 18 at 1:28 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: fil97
how stupid would that be lol

Did you watch hockey this season? Because that is a pretty bad question if you did.
May 18 at 1:51 p.m.
JimmyPaek

I didn’t use that space to add to the team because that’s not the point of what I’m doing. The point t of why I made this was to show how he made horrendous decisions that are unforgivable. The Marino trade was unforgivable. Letting McCann go was unforgivable. I know the Matheson trade had its defenders but I wasn’t among them. I’d rather have the Matheson Marino pairing right now than have EK. This team didn’t need EK. That’s obviously the work of the current regime but if Marino was still here we wouldn’t have had much of a reason to add EK. Likewise, if Hextall was never our GM the team is obviously very different right now. I can’t use the cap space to make this fiction come to life. The point was to demonstrate the awful hand Dubas received.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll