SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Needs-based draft - Please comment

Needs-based draft - Please comment

Draft Class: 2018
Created By: Kabdalla
Published: Jun. 10, 2018 at 5:53 p.m.
Description
I looked at 10 different draft rankings and then studied every teams needs. If a draft pick is traded, then the player selected may be different. I tried to be thorough of why each player is picked where. I think this draft will have a couple surprises. Every draft has them. I also tried to give some 2nd and 3rd choices for some of the later picks because that is much more open than the earlier picks.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Obvious #1. Best player in the draft b a mile. This kid is going to be either one of the best defenseman in the nhl or the biggest bust (very very unlikely)
2Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Canes GM said he is drafting Svechnikov. Unless this pick is traded (unlikely) Svechnikov will be a hurricane. He has so much speed and a greta shot. Passing him up will be an awful move.
3Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Habs need help now, Tkachuk best NHL ready player in the draft. Passing up Zadina would be tough, but I think they get a greta player in Tkachuk. 1st big surprise of the draft.
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Ottawa looking for a great Dman. Karlsson 2.0... I think this is the biggest surprise in the draft. 2nd big surprise.
5Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Coyotes Blessed. Or they get Tkachuk. Their pick is really dependent on Montreal's pick. Either way, Coyotes are in a great position.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Too good not to be true. Michigan kid that everyone thinks he is going to Detroit. He may be undersized, but today's NHL has many of them being very successful.
7Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Canucks desperately need Dman. There is no way they take ANOTHER forward. Bouchard a great pick up for the Canucks.
8Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Elite Winger that is expected to fall to Chicago from most sources Ive looked at. (If I had to guess a second choice, Chicago and edmonton switch picks they draft)
9Logo of the New York Rangers-Rangers have lots of young forwards, but need a pickup in young dman. Dobson a great pickup for them
10Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Kotkaniemi is a center by heart. He is the best center in the draft. (If I had to guess a second choice, Chicago and edmonton switch picks they draft)
11Logo of the New York Islanders-Isles need help everywhere, going to pick BPA for 1 Fwd and 1 Dman. Veleno could be swapped for Hayton, but I think he would have more success in NY.
12Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary FlamesIsles need help everywhere, going to pick BPA for 1 Fwd and 1 Dman. Ty Smith is one of the best dman and most underrated dman in this draft. He had a bad Prospects game which I think tanked his stocks a ton. Ty Smith will be a fantastic gift for the Islanders.
13Logo of the Dallas Stars-Stars grab 2nd best center in draft. A great fit for Dallas's system. Stars got a ton of LHD, a there is no reasonable RHD to pick at 13 (Merkley too risky, Wilde still to far off).
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the St. Louis BluesBPA - Farabee will grow into his frame and could be a great top 6 in the future for philly
15Logo of the Florida Panthers-Panthers are quite deep, would not mind seeing them taking the risk on Merkley. Seems like high risk high reward for panthers. They are in a position to do that.
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Wilde a great pick up for Avs, helps with their dman. Wilde can pan out to be a top 2 dman for the avs (with Barrie)
17Logo of the New Jersey Devils-With Hall and niko, the devils should focus on getting a solid dman. Again BPA dman (possible they get Wilde and Avs get Samuelsson)
18Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Stacked on young D, time for some help upfront. Denisenko a little risky, but would be a great pick up if he pans out well. I think the best fit for them would be Farabee, but I don't think he will be available.
19Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-With their second pick, I can see them trying for a dman. Seems like the best option for them. Plus who can resist drafting a guy named Jett Woo? Also I expect this pick to be traded.
20Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Biggest Sleeper in the Draft. LA makes the risk, but might be worth it for them. They could also pick Lundestrom, Thomas, or Bokk here
21Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Would be a great fit for San Jose. With Joe gone (most likely), Akil is the depth they will need in the future.
22Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins1st pick got them the best dman in the draft, Now time to pick up a great forward. This kid is a speed demon, and can be a big name in Ottawa for years to come. They are looking for a center with their second pick. Lundestrom or Kurpari fit that for them.
23Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-After losing Theodore, they need to replenish D depth, they pick up a dman. Anaheim would love this American, and Miller would love being in socal. Good fit. A little far, but this is the time in the draft where draft ranking is not as big a factor. These picks often fall to players the team loves. Miller is a very gritty and athletic player. A perfect style for Ducks hockey. If the ducks go with another option, I expect it to be Called Addison.
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Kid is very underrated german. 2nd biggest sleeper in the draft if you ask me. Wild could use some offense, and this german has amazing hands and great speed making him a deadly combo. If he works on his back checking a little bit, kids going to be a stud two way player.
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-This organization is stacked with young talent. They could use some more great defense tho. Addison is probably the best dman available. If he is not available, Sandin or or Alexeyev are the next bets I would put.
26Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Boston BruinsRangers could get a nice pick up with Noel, but could also get McLeoud, Kupari, or McLeod. (They should be looking for offense here)
27Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Nashville PredatorsHawks take dman here if they take a forward (Which they most likely will) at 8. Alexeyev fits the skilled style of Chicago.
28Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningRangers arent letting Kupari slip through their fingers. The Rangers could use him as a future Top 6 Center they already have a ton of center depth, so I could see them bailing to Kaut or McIssac instead.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Winnipeg JetsLots of options for St. Louis. This pick can go a lot of ways for them. Martin Kaut Plan B. If they want a dman, McIssac or Sandin would be their plan C
30Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsWashington needs to stock up on some dman. McIssac is a kid that I have seen all over the draft rankings. I dont think the Caps pass him up. I think they really want Alexeyev (they just love them russians), but I dont think he will be available.
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-Detriot rounds out the top 31 with Kaut. Really good RW that posses a ton of skill and I dont think he will be available at 33. Wings pick him up.
Jun. 10, 2018 at 6:59 p.m.
Antoinenhl
no way montreal takes another play-maker in Tkachuk they need Zadina, a goal scorer with Drouin.
Jun. 10, 2018 at 7:41 p.m.
The Leafs need Defence, but they also need centres. Losing Boak, Plecs, and Moore to FA, if Kupari is still available at 25 I can't see them passing up on him. The Leafs have Rielly, Dermott, Zaitsev, and Liljegren in the system for defence whereas for Centres, the only have Matthews and Kadri (maybe Nylander gets moved to Centre). The Leafs might grab a defensemen, but in my opinion thy will take a centre.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll