SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My Final 2018 NHL Mock Draft

My Final 2018 NHL Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2018
Created By: skinnypain78
Published: Jun. 22, 2018 at 4:38 p.m.
Description
Here’s my final mock draft before the NHL Draft tonight! I put a lot time into each player’s description. Feel free to leave your thoughts!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-This is an obvious pick. Dahlin is a generational defenseman. According to some scouts, he is the best Swedish defensive prospect they have ever seen. The Sabres are also loaded with young forwards. In recent years, they have taken Sam Reinhart, Jack Eichel, Alex Nylander, and Casey Mittelstadt with high first round picks. Now they get a defenseman to start their transition game. (Frolunda, Sweden)
2Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Andrei Svechnikov Carolina will most likely end up trading Jeff Skinner and they will be looking for a sniper to replace him. That’s why drafting Svechnikov makes sense. He’s an offensive force that can score many goals and the Hurricanes had a hard time scoring goals during the 2017/18 season. Playing for the Barrie Colts in the OHL, he scored 40 goals and picked up a total of 72 points in just 44 games. Svechnikov has every offensive skill one would want in a player. (Barrie Colts, OHL)
3Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Canadiens have a lot of options here. In desperate need for a center, they could go off the board here for one, but they probably won’t. This is where you put needs aside and take the best available player. That player is Filip Zadina. Zadina is the second best pure goal scorer in this draft, after Svechnikov. Zadina generates a very high number of shot attempts every game. Zadina also has the soft hands to score in close to the net. His skating is also phenomenal. He can snipe the puck but also plays a two-way type of game. He is a leader and will help Montreal on their road to the Stanley Cup. (Halifax, QMJHL)
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Superstar defenseman Erik Karlsson is entering the final year of his contract and looking at unrestricted free agency next summer. It has been heavily rumoured that the Senators are ready to trade him. The Senators draft Boqvist, a player who may become a replacement for Karlsson in time. Boqvist is an outstanding skater and he’s in between a two-way and offensive defenseman. He can play defense as well as moving the puck exceptionally and has a high offensive upside. (SweHL/Swe-1)
5Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The Coyotes already have a really deep group of young forwards for the future so this is where they take a defenseman. Arizona drafts Evan Bouchard from the London Knights. Bouchard is the best draft eligible defenseman out of the OHL this year for many reasons. Evan Bouchard likes to play the game safe, but that‘s not always a bad thing. He’s not a very flashy player but he’s the type of defenseman you win with. Ekman-Larsson and Evan Bouchard will be a really good pairing for a long time. Bouchard was the captain of the Knights, picking up 87 points in 67 regular season games. That’s very impressive and he’s a really good defenseman to have on your powerplay. He’s not an elite skater but he skates well enough to make the play and jump into the rush. You can argue that Dobson is a better RHD than him but I think Bouchard is the third best RHD available after Dahlin and Boqvist. (London, OHL)
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-It’s hard to say who Detroit will draft with this pick but I have to go with Quinn Hughes. You don’t pass on a guy like Hughes especially when you don’t have a very good prospect group. The Wings have some good prospect defenseman already but this pick should be a no brainer. Hughes is an offensive defenseman playing for the University of Michigan. He’s undersized but don’t let that fool you because he already plays against older players in college and he handles that very well. The Red Wings and their fans should be really happy if they draft this kid because him and Dennis Cholowski could make a really good pairing in the near future. I think Hughes will be an elite first pairing defenseman because of his IQ both offensively and defensively, even though it’s hard to predict because of his size and because offensive defenseman are usually boom or busts. (University of Michigan)
7Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-The Canucks are up at 7 and this pick isn’t really a no brainer. The Canucks are going to have trouble passing on Oliver Wahlstrom, but they will to select Noah Dobson from the QMJHL. The Canucks are very high on Noah Dobson. Dobson picked up 69 points in 67 CHL games this past season and he won the Memorial Cup with his team. He’s a great leader, two-way defenseman, and he could be a future first pairing defenseman with Juolevi, if, you know, Juolevi pans out. (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
8Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-This is an easy decision and there is no way Wahlstrom is falling any lower than this pick. The Blackhawks are extremely high on Oliver Wahlstrom and they would be pleased to select him here at 8th overall. Wahlstrom is a very good goal scorer with an extremely good shot. He is also a tremendous skater. He is on his way to Boston College for the 2018-19 season. Blackhawks fans should be looking forward to having Wahlstrom on their team for years to come. (USHL)
9Logo of the New York Rangers-Brady Tkachuk Rangers fans should be jumping up and down right now because landing Brady Tkachuk at 9th overall is an absolute steal. Many people have Tkachuk going top 5 and some even have him going top 3. I didn't put him anywhere near there because he is a safe player. Drafting a safe player is not bad but when players like Wahlstrom and Zadina are available, you draft them instead because they have way higher upside, in my opinion. Tkachuk does it all. He has incredible hockey sense. He can also shoot, pass, and he plays a two-way type of game. Tkachuk can also play C and LW which is another reason why taking him at this pick is a steal. Brady is close to NHL ready and he is going to be a dominate top-6 forward for years to come. (Boston University)
10Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-I never thought I would be saying this again but Edmonton has another really good draft pick this year. (Please don't take that seriously and at least it's not first overall again.) There are some really good forwards still available and Chiarelli will take advantage of that, which is funny because teams are usually taking advantage of him. But anyways, Edmonton selects LW Joel Farabee 10th overall. Farabee is the type of player that many scouts aren't high on at first but every time they watch him he impresses more and more. He likes to help back on defense but he also puts up a lot of points. Farabee is going to be a really good top-6 forward in the NHL for years to come, especially playing on McDavid's wing. USHL)
11Logo of the New York Islanders-Ty Smith Lets begin this by stating the obvious. The Islanders are in panic mode. They have mediocre defense, terrible goaltending, and their offense is about to take a huge hit if franchise player John Tavares decides to leave July 1st. They could possibly end of trading picks 11 and 12 to get Tavares another winger but I think they will keep both because their prospect pool isn't the best either. With the 11th overall pick, they will select defenseman Ty Smith from the WHL. Smith is a great skater and he can work the power play very well. Heis the best draft eligible defenseman from the WHL. I think he will be a second pairing guy that can do it all for his team. Great pick by the Islanders. (Spokane, WHL)
12Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary FlamesThis should be a no brainer. If they do lose Tavares then they will be very weak down the middle. Barzal will take over as the first line center and Kotkaniemi will eventually be their second line center. Kotkaniemi is a two-way forward out of the SM-liiga and he is unbelievable. He put up 29 points in 57 games playing against men in one of the hardest leagues in the world. There's a very high chance he will end up being the best natural center out of this draft. (SM-liiga, Finland)
13Logo of the Dallas Stars-There are a lot of mixed opinions on Joe Veleno. He has been defined by the exceptional status he was granted at just 15 years old, but Dallas will be very pleased to select Veleno at 13th overall. When he was younger, many scouts thought this kid was going to be the next big franchise player. Now it's hard to tell if this kid is even going to be an elite player. Dallas will most likely play him second line center behind Tyler Seguin because they are really weak down the middle. Veleno is a really good playmaker and he can also play wing. He could end up being one of the biggest steals in this draft, or one of the biggest busts. (Drummondville, QMJHL)
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the St. Louis BluesPhiladelphia plays it safe and drafts Hayton. This is the pick the Flyers acquired in a deal that sent forward Brayden Schenn to the Blues last year. Hayton is a reliable, two-way center who was able to make a statement in his draft year despite playing behind the best line in the CHL . Hayton will have to take a big step forward next year with the entire top line gone. (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)
15Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers drafted Aleksander Barkov in the 2013 NHL Draft and that was a surprise. The Panthers are going to do the same thing again and draft Rasmus Kupari. Kupari is from the SM-liiga just like Barkov. Barkov put up way better numbers in his draft year but I'm sure the Panthers would like to take their chances on Kupari. Kupari is a two-way forward and he is an incredible passer. I don't think he will be as good as Barkov but I'm sure the Panthers would love to have Kupari as the second center behind Barkov for years to come. (SM-liiga, Finland)
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Skill, skill, and more skill. The Avalanche are going to be one of the best teams soon and it's actually kind of scary how much talent they have. They are stacked with defensive prospects already, so Colorado will definitely be proud to select ward Akil Thomas at 16th overall. Thomas is an undersized center but he can play wing too. His offensive IQ is very good and he is one of the best playmakers in this draft. He is also an outstanding skater that can score when needed. He is going to be a really good top-6 forward for the Avalanche. Colorado could end up playing Thomas with Landeskog on the second line while having MacKinnon and Rantanen on the first line. What a time to be an Avalanche fan. (Niagra IceDogs, OHL)
17Logo of the New Jersey Devils-The Devils take Bode Wilde here at 17th overall. I'm not the biggest fan of Wilde because of a few reasons but the Devils desperately need defense. Back when the Devils traded Larson for Hall their defense took a huge hit. They need another right handed defenseman for the future to take over the second pairing. Wilde has defensive upside but I question his IQ. He seems to lack awareness and there has been many times where he was out of position during the play that led to a goal against. When Wilde is on his game though he is an absolute beast defensively. He takes away passing lanes and dishes out huge hits. I wouldn't say this is a steal of a pick for New Jersey but its a decent one. (USHL)
18Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus drafts Lundestrom with their first round pick. Lundestrom is a very smart center who has the potential to become a very good second line center in the NHL one day. He's a great playmaker, skater, and he can also shoot the puck pretty well. He put up 14 points in 42 games in the Swedish Hockey League this past season which is pretty good. Good pick by the Blue Jackets. You can never go wrong with drafting a center. (SweHL)
19Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Did somebody say "Broad Street Bullies?" The Flyers are going old school with this pick and taking RW Serron Noel 19th overall. Noel has a lot of raw talent and he's a kid with a mans body. He's 6"5, 200 pounds, and he's only 17 years old. He's one of the youngest players in the draft. He is a boom or bust because of his size. I am not a huge fan of him because the game is changing and even though he skates well for a big guy, he has limited options because of his size. He has a decent shot and he's a really good passer but I have a hard time seeing that translate to the NHL because of his size. Some scouts think he will be a future top-6 forward, while other scouts believe he will be a future top-9 forward. Overall, this isn't a bad pick by the Flyers and I'm sure there are other teams that have Noel ranked in the first round but I just don't know if he will ever become anything better than a Top 9 Forward. ( Oshawa, OHL)
20Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Lets face it, the Kings have a terrible prospect pool. There are a couple of guys that stand out though, like Kale Clauge and Gabriel Vilardi. Besides them, it's pretty weak. Drafting Denisenko 20th overall makes so much sense for the Kings. He has incredible offensive skills and he can skate well. This kid has so much potential to become a top-6 forward and maybe even an elite forward at the NHL level. Scouts notice that he gives up on plays easy though and he's often outmuscled by guys because of his size and weight. On most lists, he is ranked anywhere from 15 to 31. If Denisenko becomes a consistent player then other teams need to watch out because this guy has all the offensive tools to make defenseman look silly. He is on his way to the KHL for the 2018-19 Season. Very good pick by the Kings. (MHL, Russia)
21Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The Sharks aren't getting any younger and Joe Thornton only has a couple of years left in the tank. That's why the Sharks take a center here with the 21st overall pick. Ryan McLeod was ranked in the top 10 at one point but he slowed down and other players started to pass him in the rankings. Scouts have him ranked anywhere from 20 to 32 now. McLeod is a possession driver. He does his best work when the puck is on his stick. He plays a two-way type of game and has a decent shot. His skating isn’t the greatest but it’s not the worst either. There are better players available at this pick but the Sharks really need a prospect center that can take over the second line sometime soon. The Sharks drafted Josh Norris last year who is a center but he may only become a third liner so it’s better to be safe and take another center. Pretty good pick by the Sharks. (Mississauga, OHL)
22Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsThe Ottawa Senators are proud to select Dominik Bokk with the 22nd overall pick. This kid has all the tools to become a good NHL player. The Senators franchise is a mess right now because of the whole Karlsson/Hoffman situation that happened and they ended up trading Hoffman because of it. Bokk is a skilled winger from Germany. He’s a playmaker with excellent skating ability. He could be a huge draft day steal . (SweHL)
23Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks had to trade D Shea Theodore last summer because of the expansion draft. They also traded D Sami Vatanen to the Devils for center Adam Henrique. The Ducks still have a decent crop of young defensemen but losing Theodore hurts. Anaheim is proud to select D K’Andre Miller 23rd overall. Miller does it all and he is also a LHD. He has a lot of raw talent. Miller is a big defenseman who plays a two-way type of game. He’s more of a defensive guy but he can chip in offensively because he’s a very good skater and passer. This is a very good pick by the Ducks and I think that he will eventually become a second pairing defenseman to patch the loss of Theodore. (USHL)
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild select RHD Calen Addison with the 24th overall pick. Addison is an undersized defenseman but he can put up a decent amount of points and he can also jump into the rush very easily because of his elite skating ability. Matt Dumba’s days in Minnesota are numbered and the Wild will be looking for a future replacement. The Wild will be hoping this kid turns into a future top-4 D, and I think he can become that. (Lethbridge, WHL)
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Woo! Woo! Woo! The Leafs select hard hitting D Jett Woo with the 25th overall pick. He is a RHD and a great stay at home defenseman. This would be an excellent pick by Toronto because Woo can help their penalty kill and he can also pitch in offensively sometimes when needed. He models his game after Shea Weber but that’s going to take a lot of work and effort if he wants to become like him. Some scouts have Woo ranked in the second round because defensive defenseman are starting to fade away but this kid has all the defensive tools and he could help Toronto one day. (Moose Jaw, WHL)
26Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Boston BruinsThe Rangers select the most interesting player 26th overall in this year’s draft. Ryan Merkley. There are so many question marks with this kid and let’s start by saying that they are major ones. According to scouts, he has a really bad attitude problem. The Rangers may take him and try to mature him because he could just be an immature kid that needs someone to work with him on that. He is also very bad defensively. Merkley also has a lot of good things going for him too though. He is definitely a Top 5 talent when it comes to his offensive skills but scouts now have him anywhere from pick 15 to 60 because of the flaws in his game. The Rangers will take a chance on him because they have three first round picks. He’s a high risk, high reward. He put up really good numbers for Guelph but will that translate to the NHL? Only time will tell if he becomes the next Ryan Ellis or Ryan Murphy. (Guelph, OHL)
27Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Nashville PredatorsThe Hawks draft Jared McIsaac with the 27th overall pick. We all know that Duncan Keith is starting to slow down because he’s getting older and the Hawks have a very thin prospect pool. Drafting McIsaac would be a very smart choice. He plays a two-waytype of game and has decently high potential. He can shoot, pass, skate, and he checks really hard. McIsaac likes to lay players out with huge hits. Just make sure to keep your head up at all times when on the ice with him. (Halifax, QMJHL)
28Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Rangers are up once again and they select Jonathan Berggren with the 28th overall pick. Berggren is one of my favorite players in the draft this year and he could possibly end up being the biggest steal of the draft. Berggren is a very smart player and he has a lot of offensive skill. He’s undersized but he’s a great skater and plays bigger than he actually is. He was ranked in the late second round for a while but he’s definitely a first round talent. I think he will become an elite NHL player one day. (SweHL)
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Winnipeg JetsThe Blues select Ty Dellandrea with the 29th overall pick. They drafted C Robert Thomas in the first round of the 2017 NHL Draft and the year before that they drafted C Jordan Kyrou in the second round of the draft. Both players could possibly make the Blues out of camp in September and the Blues are probably hoping that Dellandrea can make the team out of camp in a few years too. St. Louis doesn’t shy away from drafting centers and I can see why. Dellandrea is the type of player that does very well with everything he does. This would be a very good pick by St. Louis. Does Dellandrea have the skill to become a top-6 forward? I’m not to sure. He could possibly become a very reliable Top-9 forward and that’s perfectly fine too. (Flint, OHL)
30Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsThe Red Wings select Czech right winger Martin Kaut with their second first round pick. Martin Kaut does it all. He is a two-way forward that can skate pretty well. He is also a very good playmaker. If he drops to the 2nd round it would only be for one reason and that reason has to do with a health problem. He was sent home from the NHL Draft Combine last month because of a heart condition. Scouts say that they are not worried about it but it's still something that should be mentioned. Kaut has a lot of potential and he could possibly end up being another draft day steal in the future. (Czech)
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Capitals select Rasmus Sandin with the final pick of the first round. Sandin plays the game very smartly. He does everything right and when he makes a mistake he's quick to fix it. He is a very good skater and he is always in the right position to make a good defensive play. Sandin also makes nice offensive plays and he has a pretty good shot. I'm sure the Capitals would be very happy that he is still available with the 31st overall pick because they need to add to their very thin prospect pool. John Carlson may be leaving the Capitals this summer and they will be looking for a defenseman to take over in the future. Sandin will be a nice fit in the Capitals top-4 for years to come. (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll