Forums/Armchair-GM

This is REALLY gonna piss some people off - Come join the scream fest

Created by: Random2152
Initial Creation Date: Jun 28, 2020
Published: Jun 28 at 10:33
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Explanation
Hronek is a young Dman who looks like a solid top-4 option on a team that DESPERATELY needs talent (inflating his value to them). He also fills a need for the Maple Leafs and is why I am willing to LOSE a trade to acquire him. It is important for CF users to remember that Hronek is not and likely will not be a top pair or number 1 dman and should not be valued as such even if he is used in that manner on the wings. With that being said I am fully prepared to suffer the barrage of those who overvalue him and/or undervalue the Leafs.

Leafs get:
A pressing need filled with a good young player on a cheap elc with years of control.
Upgrade from Liljegren to Hronek, mostly in timeline but also in potential as he has progressed faster.

Wings get:
A pick upgrade in a deep draft
Kapanen

Liljegren looks like he will be a solid 2nd pairing Dman who can shut down top lines while having excellent passing ability and the long term upside makes this trade a big win for the wings. They also get Kapanen who has top 6 upside but is burried behind Marner and Nylander in Toronto. This moves gives him a spot higher in the lineup and will allow his crazy speed and talent to shine next to Larkin and Mantha.

I have already said it but I want to make it clear that I think the Leafs lose this trade, but I think the need is pressing enough and that we'd need to overpay to get Hronek.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Mikheyev, Ilya4$2,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Spezza, Jason1$700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Hronek, Filip
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
DET
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
  2. 2020 4th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
  • Mikhail Grabovski: $0
Retained Salary Transactions
  • Phil Kessel: $1,200,000 (15%)
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
PIT
SJS
TOR
VGK
CHI
VGK
TOR
CAR
COL
SJS
STL
WPG
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,519,366$0$157,500$980,634
Left WingCenterRight Wing
TOR
Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
TOR
Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
TOR
Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
TOR
Robertson, Nicholas
$821,667
LW
RFA - 3
TOR
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
TOR
Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
TOR
Johnsson, Andreas
$3,400,000
LW
UFA - 3
TOR
Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
TOR
Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
TOR
Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
TOR
Spezza, Jason
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
TOR
Barabanov, Alexander
$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
TOR
Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
TOR
Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
TOR
Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 1
TOR
Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
DET
Hronek, Filip
$714,166
RD
RFA - 1
TOR
Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
TOR
Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
LD
RFA - 2
TOR
Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
TOR
Marincin, Martin
$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
TOR
Brooks, Adam
$725,000
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun 28 at 10:37
FireDougWilson
DET laughs
buffbry and BStinson liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:38
Buffbry
Pass hronek better then anything you offered
GM - Avalanche
These are absolutely terrible trades for the Leafs. @MitchMarnerElite can we get your expert opinion on these trades.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
DET laughs

You overvalue Hronek, or undervalue Kapanen and Liljegren. The Leafs lose this trade by a good margin.
TMLSage, keep_ups12, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:39
Tbh, I'm not really a huge fan of this.
TMLSage liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:40
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: TMLSage
These are absolutely terrible trades for the Leafs. @MitchMarnerElite can we get your expert opinion on these trades.

I know we lose the DET trade, point of the AGM is I am willing to lose the trade long term to win short term.
In terms of Dermott, I am not sure he could return much more seeing as he hasn't broken out really.
Jun 28 at 10:40
FireDougWilson
Quoting: Random2152
You overvalue Hronek, or undervalue Kapanen and Liljegren. The Leafs lose this trade by a good margin.

No I don’t lol Hronek is already easily a number 3 d-man with number 2/fringe number 1 upside where as Kappy, as much as I love him, is a mid 6 guy and Lilegren isn’t even an NHLer. DET passes
justaBoss liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:41
Just Keep Swimming
No I don’t lol Hronek is already easily a number 3 d-man with number 2/fringe number 1 upside where as Kappy, as much as I love him, is a mid 6 guy and Lilegren isn’t even an NHLer. DET passes

So both, you both overvalue Hronek AND undervalue the Leafs players here. Got it.
Liljegren not being an NHLer is a TAKE and a half in itself let alone the rest.
TMLSage, keep_ups12 and Trickster liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:41
GM - Avalanche
I know we lose the DET trade, point of the AGM is I am willing to lose the trade long term to win short term.
In terms of Dermott, I am not sure he could return much more seeing as he hasn't broken out really.

You actually lost the trades in both the short term and long-term.
keep_ups12 liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:43
Just Keep Swimming
You actually lost the trades in both the short term and long-term.

Not sure I do. Kapanen will have trouble reaching his potential in Tornto and we upgrade at a huge position of need. While I am very high on Liljegren I think Hronek will always be better, and can already play in our top 4
Jun 28 at 10:44
FireDougWilson
So both, you both overvalue Hronek AND undervalue the Leafs players here. Got it.
Liljegren not being an NHLer is a TAKE and a half in itself let alone the rest.

It’s not lol he looked out of place being the 7th d-man lol Liljegren just isn’t an NHLer
Jun 28 at 10:45
Just Keep Swimming
It’s not lol he looked out of place being the 7th d-man lol Liljegren just isn’t an NHLer

Dude, He is 20. most guys his age are playing in junior. Additionally he got 7 games on a decimated Leafs roster. If that is what you're going by you have terrible evaluation skills.
TMLSage, keep_ups12, palhal and 2 others liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:46
Random....if you want people to respect your opinion than you must respect other opinions, that's your main problem here.
justaBoss and Pmwalker liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:46
GM - Avalanche

So you are willing to give up on Liljegren at his current age? Makes no sense to me. @MitchMarnerElite can you please give youre expert opinion on Liljegren for everyone on CapFriendly.
Jun 28 at 10:48
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Random....if you want people to respect your opinion than you must respect other opinions, that's your main problem here.

I respect opinions that are based in fact and aren't just - "nuh uh". I have had my views changed before on this site by actual arguments, but the vast majority of the criticism against me is uninformed takes based on nothing
TMLSage, oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:48
GM - Avalanche
Dude, He is 20. most guys his age are playing in junior. Additionally he got 7 games on a decimated Leafs roster. If that is what you're going by you have terrible evaluation skills.

I agree with you 100%. We are talking about a player that may have been a top 3 draft pick if was not sick for most of his draft year. Liljegren is going to be a really great defenceman in the NHL and just needs to keep slow cooking.
Jun 28 at 10:49
GM - Avalanche

Not when the opinion is out to lunch.
Jun 28 at 10:50
FireDougWilson

It’s not.

One one hand you’ve got a 21 year old Hronek who’s already eastablished himself into a SOLID top 4 d-man and on the orher you’ve got a 20 year old who can’t play NHL minutes. Adding Kappy and a 2nd doesn’t make up for the difference between Hronek and Liljegren... especially considering DET moves a pick here...
Jun 28 at 10:51
FireDougWilson
So you are willing to give up on Liljegren at his current age? Makes no sense to me. @MitchMarnerElite can you please give youre expert opinion on Liljegren for everyone on CapFriendly.

I’m not lol Hronek is just wayyyy better
Jun 28 at 10:52
Just Keep Swimming
It’s not.

One one hand you’ve got a 21 year old Hronek who’s already eastablished himself into a SOLID top 4 d-man and on the orher you’ve got a 20 year old who can’t play NHL minutes. Adding Kappy and a 2nd doesn’t make up for the difference between Hronek and Liljegren... especially considering DET moves a pick here...

A guy with top 6 upside who Pk's and PP'S who is young with game breaking speed is more than enough compensation for the downgrade from Hronek to Liljegren. And the Wings move up in the draft. I am sorry you don't know how to properly value Kap and Liljegren, that doesn't make a trade bad.
keep_ups12 and Trickster liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:53
I respect opinions that are based in fact and aren't just - "nuh uh". I have had my views changed before on this site by actual arguments, but the vast majority of the criticism against me is uninformed takes based on nothing

I can't and won't share my opinion on this, since I admittingly know nothing of Hronek. But no trade would be favorable for Dubas. I believe he will be happy with using Dermott or Lehtonen experiment on the right side and crosses his fingers Lilly finally reaches NHL status.

But he will no doubt cash dump one of the three 3 million $ 3rd liners.
TMLSage and Trickster liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:54
FireDougWilson
A guy with top 6 upside who Pk's and PP'S who is young is more than enough compensation for the downgrade from Hronek to Liljegren. And the Wings move up in the draft. I am sorry you don't know how to properly value Kap and Liljegren, that doesn't make a trade bad.

Lol if you want to keep believing that DET is moving their only valuable asset at D for a guy who isn’t ready, a mid 6 forward and a pick then I don’t know what to tell you.

Like Hronek would be recognized as one of the league’s brightest young D stars if he played on another team than DET
Stevierebz, justaBoss and gregb569 liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:56
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I really don't understand posts like this. The Leafs were are razor thin on NHL Dman depth trade two Dmen, Dermot and Liljegren and only get one in return. So Marincin is the seventh guy and will have to play a lot because of injuries and who the eighth Dmen if two Dmen are injured.
Not saying the Wings do the trade...but really it doesn't help the Leafs
t
TMLSage, Jfstompers and Trickster liked this.
Jun 28 at 10:57
Just Keep Swimming
I can't and won't share my opinion on this, since I admittingly know nothing of Hronek. But no trade would be favorable for Dubas. I believe he will be happy with using Dermott or Lehtonen experiment on the right side and crosses his fingers Lilly finally reaches NHL status.

But he will no doubt cash dump one of the three 3 million $ 3rd liners.

I think that is the idea behind the trade. Detroit's window isn't for awhile while the Leafs is now. Rather than waiting and hoping for Liljegren move him for a guy who is already good to go in the spot you hope Lily can take. Even if we lost the trade in the long term going for it now makes sense.

And I hope you don't mean dump as in for nothing. Kap and Kerfoot should have immense value around the league, and even Mango at a low point should be able to return an okay package
Jun 28 at 10:59
Just Keep Swimming
Lol if you want to keep believing that DET is moving their only valuable asset at D for a guy who isn’t ready, a mid 6 forward and a pick then I don’t know what to tell you.

Like Hronek would be recognized as one of the league’s brightest young D stars if he played on another team than DET

You understand what a re-build is don't you? Where you move players who don't fit into your window for ones who do, hopefully more so than the player you just moved.
And no, Hronek is only playing as high as he is because he is on a tire fire of a team. He would be a good young up and coming 2nd pairing RD on most teams. You seem to be confusing him with Adam Fox.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll