SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

This Year's Team Standings

Aug. 25, 2016 at 12:45 p.m.
How do you think the teams stack up? Interesting because no teams are 'tanking' and perennial bottom feeders, ARI and EDM are on their way up I believe, I think I slotted OTT in too high but oh well
East:
Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Montreal
Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. New York Rangers
Wild Card:
1. NYI
2. Buffalo
Rest:
3. NJ
4. Ottawa
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Columbus
8. Detroit
9. Toronto
10. Carolina

West:
Pacific:
1. SJ
2. Calgary
3. Anaheim
Central:
1. Dallas
2. STL
3. Nashville
Wildcard:
1. Chicago
2. Edmonton
Rest:
3. Minnesota
4. LA
5. Arizona
6. Winnipeg
7. Colorado
8. Vancouver
Aug. 25, 2016 at 2:34 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Few questions on your predictions:

Why do you think Montreal will be in 3rd place? They were the worst team in the league for 4 straight months of the season last year, will Price be back to his usual self after a 4 month knee injury?
Buffalo and NJ ahead of Ottawa? NJ is on a clear decline and Buffalo are still developing, that would be one hell of an increase over 1 year, Ottawa is flying under the radar with a strong team imo
Same Buffalo comments regarding Calgary, are they really going to improve that much?

And Edmonton now in the playoffs ahead of LA and MIN: did Larsson improve them that much? They lost their best winger
Aug. 25, 2016 at 2:55 p.m.
Edited Aug. 25, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: Banks
Few questions on your predictions:

Why do you think Montreal will be in 3rd place? They were the worst team in the league for 4 straight months of the season last year, will Price be back to his usual self after a 4 month knee injury?
Buffalo and NJ ahead of Ottawa? NJ is on a clear decline and Buffalo are still developing, that would be one hell of an increase over 1 year, Ottawa is flying under the radar with a strong team imo
Same Buffalo comments regarding Calgary, are they really going to improve that much?

And Edmonton now in the playoffs ahead of LA and MIN: did Larsson improve them that much? They lost their best winger

I have Montreal in third place because I don't see a better team in the east, Boston's in shambles, especially if Rask doesn't perform, Detroit barely made the playoffs and lost Datsyuk, I don't have faith in Ottawa- they let too many goals in and can't seem to find a centerman Brassard is a 2nd line center, much of Montreal's success will come from Price, but as well Galchenyuk is going to improve and they could have acquired a 30 goal scorer in Radulov to beeth up their top six.

Buffalo made jumped 22 points last year and obviously that's not a pattern, but its a strong trend, they have 2 no.1 centermans, good forward depth and a young mobile defense core. Ristolainen is developing into a true no. 1 defenseman. You might be right with NJ, my thinking on that one was they have a really good forward core now :https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/183198 and I think Schneider is really good, so good that he can help out their defense group and really compete.

Calgary has a new goaltender and some elite forwards that will lead the way. I don't think they'll do much in the post season but I think they're young and will be excited to try to make the playoffs, ANA/CHI/LA all seem to lack the luster and enthusiasm to try.

I think they'll go after a offensive defenseman but EDM will have much more going for them this season, Lucic will help them be more physical, Talbot seems to be improving, and although they lost out on the trade, I could see Larsson and Klefbom beng a really good swedish tandem that can reduce scoring chances and move the puck. Their biggest reason: A full season of Connor McDavid. I think a player of his calibre is capable of raising his team mates abilities. Yes it's a long shot and they might not get in, but I'm banking on youthful enthusiasm this year.

I would be interested to see your predictions smile

Also would really appreciate if you could make my name blue like yours is Red smile
Aug. 25, 2016 at 11:41 p.m.
LeafsLifer
My personal list (Leafs fan) thoughts?
East:
Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Ottawa
Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. NYI
Wildcard:
1. Boston
2. Montreal
Rest:
3. NYR
4. Philadelphia
5. NJ
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Toronto
9. Carolina
10. Columbus

West:
Pacific:
1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
Central:
1. Dallas
2. STL
3. Nashville
Wildcard:
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
Rest:
3. LA
4. Colorado
5. Winnipeg
6. Edmonton
7. Arizona
8. Vancouver
Aug. 26, 2016 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: boucie_
My personal list (Leafs fan) thoughts?
East:
Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Ottawa
Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. NYI
Wildcard:
1. Boston
2. Montreal
Rest:
3. NYR
4. Philadelphia
5. NJ
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Toronto
9. Carolina
10. Columbus

West:
Pacific:
1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
Central:
1. Dallas
2. STL
3. Nashville
Wildcard:
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
Rest:
3. LA
4. Colorado
5. Winnipeg
6. Edmonton
7. Arizona
8. Vancouver

They seem quite reasonable, I don't know if I would choose Boston over NYR though, just seems the aging Bruins are having trouble the last few years and have seen core pieces leave. In the west I'm not sure if Colorado does that well, but maybe with a new coach he can help them play a little more defensively sound.
Aug. 28, 2016 at 6:36 p.m.
LeafsLifer
Ok so I've revised my list this is what it looks like (if price goes down again montreal will be a basement team)

East:
Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Montreal
Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. NYI
Wildcard:
1. NYR
2. Philadelphia
Rest:
3. Ottawa
4. Boston
5. Buffalo
6. New Jersey
7. Detroit
8. Toronto
9. Carolina
10. Columbus

West:
Pacific:
1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
Central:
1. Dallas
2. STL
3. Nashville
Wildcard:
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
Rest:
3. LA
4. Winnipeg
5. Edmonton
6. Colorado
7. Arizona
8. Vancouver
Aug. 28, 2016 at 6:38 p.m.
LeafsLifer
While Vancouver might not be "tanking" per say Benning is doing a pretty good job of making his team absolute ****

Quoting: LeafsFan
How do you think the teams stack up? Interesting because no teams are 'tanking' and perennial bottom feeders, ARI and EDM are on their way up I believe, I think I slotted OTT in too high but oh well
East:
Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Montreal
Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. New York Rangers
Wild Card:
1. NYI
2. Buffalo
Rest:
3. NJ
4. Ottawa
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Columbus
8. Detroit
9. Toronto
10. Carolina

West:
Pacific:
1. SJ
2. Calgary
3. Anaheim
Central:
1. Dallas
2. STL
3. Nashville
Wildcard:
1. Chicago
2. Edmonton
Rest:
3. Minnesota
4. LA
5. Arizona
6. Winnipeg
7. Colorado
8. Vancouver
Aug. 29, 2016 at 11:53 a.m.
Love everything but Carolina...I don't have a love for them at all but they took huge strides last year and they have 2 of the best young D men in the game
Aug. 29, 2016 at 2:27 p.m.
LeafalCrusader
My personal Ranking

Atlantic

1.Tampa Bay
2.Florida
3.Montreal
4.Buffalo
5.Boston
6.Ottawa
7.Detroit
8.Toronto