Lets try and fix this

Created by: Johnm8713
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 5, 2023
Published: Nov. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Klingberg Trade:
I wish we never signed him, I hated it in the moment and it just is not panning out. He has the worst xGA/60 of any defenseman last year and has a worse xGA/60 this year than he did last year. I really hoped he was going to pan out but unless we use him in a third pair role, sheltering his minutes with strictly o-zone starts playing 15 minutes a night - it just will not work. I think the trade is giving the Sharks plenty to retain a one year contract. They've shown ability in taking on contracts for assets with the Karlsson trade. Here, they get Ty Voit who is an incredibly strong prospect and has really good potential. I don't think we need to give this much but Treliving should be doing anything he can to get out of that contract.

Reaves to minors:
This is necessary, there is a group of about five guys in the league who will entertain Reaves; other than a fight against any of those guys, he is an absolute liability. If we are going to go after an enforcer type player, I would much rather have signed Hathaway or Foligno as they can actually contribute positively in their minutes.

McMann and Robertson up:
McMann would fit perfectly on the wing with that fourth line as Kampf needs two fast, strong puck carriers to be successful as seen with Engvall and Mikheyev. Kampf is incredibly effective in the D-Zone and along the walls with retrieving the puck, but has a lot of trouble exiting the d-zone - with Reaves on that line is amplifies these issues as he's just a floater. Robertson looked timid and jumpy in the preseason but he has looked calm and composed with the Marlies and has been able to create a lot of space for himself, it's time to give him a shot.

Clear Holes in the lineup:
We have two evident holes, 3C and on defence. I have Domi in that 3C slot right now but I do not think he is the answer, worth a shot, but not the answer. I want Treliving to go after players like Scott Laughton, Morgan Frost, Yanni Gourde, etc. On defence, I think we have a legit top pair in Rielly-Brodie, they have looked really strong this year. I also think McCabe is a legit top-4 defenseman. Liljegren also looked really strong and could fill in the top-4 but I would rather that not be the answer. GIordano showed in the playoffs last year that he needs a lot of load management throughout the season to be successful. I want Treliving to go after one, maybe two defencemen to push Giordano out of the lineup and fill that bottom pair hole. Players I would want to see would be Zadorov, Jamie Oleksiak, Justin Schultz, or Connor Murphy.

I had a really in depth analysis of everything before and it deleted when I tried to post because I don't think I saved it, it included all of Keefe's systems and how and why all these players would be effective or why some have not been effective yet. If whoever reads this is interested in that let me know and I will re-write it.
Trades
TOR
    Future Considerations
    SJS
    1. Klingberg, John
    2. Voit, Ty
    3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$83,500,000$79,081,450$0$0$4,418,550

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $762,500$762,500
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,550,000$3,550,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667
    G
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,687,500$4,687,500
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 5, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
    My question is if it’s even worth it at this point to go after those defenceman considering the position we’re in now, and the lack of assets we possess. The roster treliving constructed, no matter how much you try to fix it, isn’t a Stanley cup team. Unless we have a big turnaround and we’re one of the top 5 teams in the league by the deadline, it just isn’t worth it to waste a first round pick on those defencman (most which would likely fetch that).
    Nov. 6, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
    I think our window to win is right now, and then as soon as that Tavares contract is up and we can have him for cheaper. Nylander is playing the best hockey of his career, Tavares is having a resurgence, Matthews is Matthews, and then Marner is really starting to heat up with Rielly returning to form. I think we should leverage our prospect pool (not Minten or Cowan) to go after those defencemen as I think we are missing one piece back there. I hope we do it sooner than later too. Moving on from Reaves will give us four serviceable lines which without that has been hurting us more than we realize and then moving on from Klingberg, which hopefully happens soon is honestly in our best interest. I don't think there is much worth in keeping all these picks because none of those guys really fit our window. But, only time will tell and all we can do is hope lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll