Forums/Armchair-GM

Bruins Going With ALL Vets

Created by: TopCornerShot
Team: 2017-18 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 15, 2017
Published: Jul. 15, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This would be a good way to Honor Chara's last year, if he goes ahead and says its his last. It's not likely to happen, but this is the bargain bin shopping we could do to get more experienced, dependable players to make a bigger run at a Cup. The most important rule I followed in this mock was to not sign or acquire a player with more than 1 year left. I don't want to block our young players for a long duration, I just haven't seen enough from them thus far to be confident they'll score 40 points, which is what I consider average for a top 9 player. I feel Hudler and Stafford have more of a chance for 40 points than Bjork and Heinen. As I said this isn't likely to happen and the young guys will likely get a shot, but I think they may have some struggles this year that some Vets might not have.

The first line takes Hudler, who's been known to score 50 points, he had a down year in Dallas, but he's got potential to put up big numbers. He's only 33, so I don't think he's fallen off the cliff yet.

The 2nd Line call's Beleskey's number because he's the most important to get something out of. He'll end up a liability if we push him to the 4th line for the rest of his time here.

Backes gets the call at C and really needs to keep his positioning good, with his lack of speed. If he can think ahead far enough to know where to be, his foot speed won't end up his kryptonite.

The 4th line would create a ton of energy. Matthias and Nash can chip in 20 points, and possibility Accari too.

The top defensive pair stays together.

Merrill is a good stay at home defenseman, you could put McNabb in the trade instead of Merrill if you think it's a better match. I went for Merrill because, while they are both in the last year of their deals, Merrill will be a RFA and McNabb will be an UFA.

Krug gets paired with Miller who's a slight upgrade over McQuaid. This pair should be pretty strong for a 3rd pair and Krug will play 22 mins or so because of double shifting on the PP.

Manning is acquired at the deadline to add defensive depth. I'm not going to put him in for anyone because I don't want to jinx anyones health or speculate that they could be likely to get injured. I just feel like injuries happen in hockey and that we've got more depth up front with the young guys and could use another fringe top6 defenseman at the deadline if we're making a run and this team looks like it's got a legit shot for a CUP.

I was able to fit 5 lines and 4 D Pairings, so we've got more cap room than it appears. We made our deadline deal to get Manning, so we don't need more cap.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$6,500,000
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
VGK
    Ryan Spooner Unsigned RFA.

We get rid of Spooner before Arbitration fearing he could get 3M+. We get a nice Defenseman in return from a team that has plenty of LHD's already.
    BOS
    1. Matthias, Shawn
    Additional Details:
    Bruins get a bottom 6 giant who's a steady player on a 1 year deal.
    WPG
    1. McQuaid, Adam
    2. 2019 5th round pick (BOS)
    Additional Details:
    Tyler Myers health is concerning to me, they might want some insurance. The pick is because they take on more term.
    BOS
    1. Manning, Brandon
    Additional Details:
    The Bruins beef up their depth going into the postseason. 1 or more defensemen are probably atleast dealing with nagging injuries at this point. Manning gives insurance against what happened last year.
    PHI
    1. 2018 4th round pick (BOS)
    2. 2019 6th round pick (BOS)
    Additional Details:
    Deadline deal. Philly gets some picks for a guy they might not sign.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$75,000,000$71,287,085$0$747,500$3,712,915

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $784,167$784,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $808,750$808,750
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,137,500$1,137,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $975,000$975,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 15, 2017 at 9:37 p.m.
    BreKel
    Yeah. You need a mix of veterans and young players to be successful. Why is Krug on the 3rd pairing?
    Jul. 16, 2017 at 3:31 a.m.
    An interesting mock. But when Sweeney says they are going with youth, this all becomes just a pipe dream!!
    Jul. 16, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.
    ItsInTheNet
    Quoting: BreKel
    Yeah. You need a mix of veterans and young players to be successful. Why is Krug on the 3rd pairing?

Krug is the 3rd pairing Dman at even strength. He will log 21+ minutes, but that's because he's double shifted on the PP. You can put them in your mind however you like but the team breakdown would be something like this: Chara 22 Carlo 20 Merrill 18 McAvoy 21 Krug 22 Miller 17. So the 2nd pair and 3rd pair log the same amount of ice combined, therefore it shouldn't be an issue who's over who on the depth chart. Also I think I remember reading something that quoted someone from the Bruins saying that keeping Krug on the 3rd pair was a good bet, it might have been from Brick and it could have possibly been just an interview on NHL network. If we don't make a trade for a LHD, it could end up Kevan Miller leapfrogging Adam McQuaid this year in terms of toi. McAvoy is the wild card, but I have him on the PP and he did play a ridiculous amount of time per game in the playoffs.

See this wasn't supposed to be what we're doing, simply just to be taken as giving Chara the best chance to win one more this season with guys who are more likely to be consistent. I don't think Heinen is better than Hudler at this point and Bjork compares to Vesey, who didn't score enough IMO. Bjork vs Vatrano could go either way and right now, Bjork's got the momentum, but he's basically just seen as "so good" because of the talent around him that he's being compared to at development camp. I see Bjork blending in more when the big dog's roll out and he's on the same ice as Pasta, Krejci, Bergeron and Marchand, but it's too early to call, so I just went with what I know so far. We would end up with some of those guys on the roster anyways when injuries hit and even without adding these players in this year, we still have Vatrano, Pasta, Matthias and Accari as youthful players at F and Carlo, McAvoy and Merrill at D. That's enough youth to win IMO.

I understand what I think you are implying though, that this is the year youth needs to come up, while Chara is still here because it's an excellent learning opportunity and would be the best direction for the long term future health of the team. I do agree with that, but this was just a mock trying to go for the cup this year and if Hudler and Vatrano don't rebound, the youth would come in to replace them.
    Jul. 16, 2017 at 5:22 p.m.
    ItsInTheNet
    Quoting: PaulDunnill
    An interesting mock. But when Sweeney says they are going with youth, this all becomes just a pipe dream!!

He's said that, but yet we're still doing some work. Work like: looking for a LHD, Trading Spooner and re-signing Stafford. Someone had it on their web page that the Bruins are still interested in all 3 of those things, but are waiting to sign RFA's first, in particular Pastrnak. I think Spooner filed for arbitration, so they may seriously contemplate trading him in the near future, fearing he could get 3M or more, which I don't believe he's worth nor do I think they believe he's worth that much. We'll see pretty soon, but another site suggested that Pasta is waiting for Draisaitl to sign and then will want a similar deal, so the site was suggesting the idea that maybe Chiarelli, while no longer being the Bruins GM, would dictate the price Pasta is signed at.

If we re-sign Stafford, acquire a LHD and Keep Spooner, there's not really any room to go with youth. Basically just Bjork possibly for Vatrano or Beleskey. As Spooner would probably get the nod over JFK and Stafford would get the nod over Heinen.
    Jul. 17, 2017 at 7:24 a.m.
    Quoting: TopCornerShot
    Quoting: PaulDunnill

He's said that, but yet we're still doing some work. Work like: looking for a LHD, Trading Spooner and re-signing Stafford. Someone had it on their web page that the Bruins are still interested in all 3 of those things, but are waiting to sign RFA's first, in particular Pastrnak. I think Spooner filed for arbitration, so they may seriously contemplate trading him in the near future, fearing he could get 3M or more, which I don't believe he's worth nor do I think they believe he's worth that much. We'll see pretty soon, but another site suggested that Pasta is waiting for Draisaitl to sign and then will want a similar deal, so the site was suggesting the idea that maybe Chiarelli, while no longer being the Bruins GM, would dictate the price Pasta is signed at.

If we re-sign Stafford, acquire a LHD and Keep Spooner, there's not really any room to go with youth. Basically just Bjork possibly for Vatrano or Beleskey. As Spooner would probably get the nod over JFK and Stafford would get the nod over Heinen.

They won't sign Stafford. Pasta should come in at $6.5, I don't care what Draisaitl signs for.
    Some of these are rumours you just "heard".
    Only thing for certain is Sweeney has come out publicly and said they want to inject youth. So youth it will be! They actually need to get a few young guys in big school because it's getting clogged with talent in Providence!!
    Heinen, DeBrusk should be 2 that have the best chance to make it. They started in the A and got better as the year went on. I think both Bjork and JFK need to start in the A and if they prove themselves to excel at that level, they will get their chances.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll