Forums/Armchair-GM

HOT TOPIC------Erik Karlsson

Created by: flamesfan419
Team: 2017-18 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2017
Published: Dec. 11, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Seems to be the fashionable topic right now, so I'm gonna take a shot and as always I welcome your feedback.
-----------
Karlsson's UFA status comes up in 2019/20 at which time we offer an 8yr x $11m contract. That may sound like a lot right now, but Brodie would get moved out prior to that and his $4.65m cap hit is what's used to top up the new Karlsson deal. Plus by then Valimaki should be NHL ready and Adam Fox would be knocking at the door so the D would still be strong.
Trades
OTT
  1. Backlund, Mikael
  2. Frolík, Michael
  3. Gillies, Jon
  4. Stone, Michael
  5. 2018 4th round pick (FLA)
  6. 2019 4th round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
OTT gets a proven forward combo in Backlund/Frolik to boost their scoring right now.
Stone has more than shown he can be a valuable Dman and Gilles gets a real shot at finally making an NHL roster once Anderson steps away
TOR
  1. Giordano, Mark
Additional Details:
Before you crap all over this particular trade, I did it for the sole purpose of reuniting the London Knights line that absolutely tore up the CHL and Memorial Cup a couple years back.
CGY
  1. O'Reilly, Ryan
  2. 2018 5th round pick (BUF)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (BUF)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DET
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$57,309,210$660,000$4,017,500$17,690,790

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 6
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$839,167$839,167 (Performance Bonus$245,000$245K)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$705,000$705,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,650,400$4,650,400
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 3
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 11, 2017 at 5:13 p.m.
50 in 07
I feel like people are forgetting Karlsson is the best Dman in the league plus a top 3 player, they aren't taking two middle 6 forwards, a top 4 dman, a b level prospect and two fourths for the best defenseman since Lindström. Just no.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
I honestly think that may not even get Pageau. Let alone Karlsson.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 6:53 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Quoting: Heatley07
they aren't taking two middle 6 forwards, a top 4 dman, a b level prospect and two fourths for the best defenseman since Lindström. Just no.

So let me ask you then.....Would you rather ACCEPT what has been offered...OR...would you rather receive NOTHING if Karlsson walks away as a UFA
Dec. 11, 2017 at 7:08 p.m.
Oh goodness where to start. Ok firstly, Lazar and Brouwer have almost no value, Brouwer maybe even less than no value because of his ugly contract. No way you get Dvorak for that. Gio is an aging dman nearing the end of his prime, why would the leafs give up a future stud in marner and an effective top 9 player for him. Maybe you could make a case if it was just marner, but still don't see that being plausible. Also, for kalrsson you had to consider the cap hit going the other way.. they get 3.5 from stone, a pending UFA in backs who will most likely command between 5-6 mill min and 4.3 from frolik.. that's potentially 13-14 million for secondary players when they could just sign karlsson for slightly less than that. Doesn't make any sense, even if you add gillies to it. Last but definitely not least in terms of just completely being off value, is that gaudreau trade. I wouldn't even do just johnny for ROR because johnny is a much better player in terms of producing offence. Adding on Ferland and then throwing more of your garbage at them to "add value" to it from your end is just never going to work. End rant.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:03 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Quoting: Zeerak
Oh goodness where to start. Ok firstly, Lazar and Brouwer have almost no value, Brouwer maybe even less than no value because of his ugly contract. No way you get Dvorak for that. Gio is an aging dman nearing the end of his prime, why would the leafs give up a future stud in marner and an effective top 9 player for him. Maybe you could make a case if it was just marner, but still don't see that being plausible. Also, for kalrsson you had to consider the cap hit going the other way.. they get 3.5 from stone, a pending UFA in backs who will most likely command between 5-6 mill min and 4.3 from frolik.. that's potentially 13-14 million for secondary players when they could just sign karlsson for slightly less than that. Doesn't make any sense, even if you add gillies to it. Last but definitely not least in terms of just completely being off value, is that gaudreau trade. I wouldn't even do just johnny for ROR because johnny is a much better player in terms of producing offence. Adding on Ferland and then throwing more of your garbage at them to "add value" to it from your end is just never going to work. End rant.

Whoa, I didn't think a make believe game would upset some so much. I don't think you've been this mean to me before smile
But, do let me explain.....

Ottawa Trade:
As of right now today, Ottawa sucks, have lost 11of last 12 games and can't seem to score. Backs/Fro have more than proven to the entire NHL they can work together and produce points. Plus they're a dynamic penalty kill unit. For those reason I see an appeal to them. Stone could be a positive influence in getting his brother Mark to re-sign in OTT or they risk losing him to....and for nothing. Andersen is an aging goalie and unlikely to be productive anymore. Gilles gives them a high profile goalie prospect who could one day take over, much the same way we all look at him around here. Problem here is we have Rittich and Parsons too.

Arizona Trade:
Have heard for a while now the "Yotes aren't happy with Dvorak's progress and talk of moving him has been out there. He's young, Lazar's young and perhaps a change of venue is just what they both need. Throwing in Brouwer...let's face facts, ARI is going to have to meet the cap floor somehow if it goes up as much as people think. So a higher end contract for 2 yrs on a guy who might have a better veteran presence there than he has here might be agreeable to them. At least Brouwer still plays in the league. I mean, where is Pavel Datsyuk right now yet they took on that contract (or at least the rights to it)

Toronto Trade:
Not sure if you read the comments in the trade box, but I made it clear it was done simply to get Marner and put the Knights line back together again. Moving Gio to the Leafs allows him to play out his final years in his hometown. Plus I don't see Marner being the "future stud" that you do if he stays in TO. Babs keeps pushing him down and he'll always play 2nd, 3rd fiddle to AM34 and Willy Nylander. Plus if they want to keep Willy can they afford Marner considering what Auston will command in dollars. So it was just a "dream" move more than anything.

Buffalo Trade:
They're going to lose Evander Kane likely sometime soon, maybe even to the Flames so Ferland replaces the grit lost in that. And do you really think Buffalo would turn down a chance to grab Johnny and attach him to the hip of Jack Eichel. They're currently the worst team in the league so a guy like Gaudreau on that team raises it's profile and gives it star power.

To top it all off, did anyone think Sacik would get the return he did for the Duchene deal? At least the guys in my trades can move and make a difference to their teams.
Agree or disagree, there is something appealing to each club in these moves. AT least there is in my mind.

OTT sucks right now and have 10 players they could lose for nothing at some point.
ARI just seems to never take a forward step.
TOR is TOR
BUF sucks despite a couple good young players and frankly if you were ROR how much effort would you really put out on a team you know will never be a powerhouse for the remainder of your time there. So a move here for him would rejuvinate him and the turn around would be just what we need. Besides, BUF will be holding their fire sale soon, so why shouldn't we try to pick up something bigger and brighter.
Dec. 13, 2017 at 4:40 a.m.
Quoting: flamesfan419
Quoting: Zeerak

Whoa, I didn't think a make believe game would upset some so much. I don't think you've been this mean to me before smile
But, do let me explain.....

Ottawa Trade:
As of right now today, Ottawa sucks, have lost 11of last 12 games and can't seem to score. Backs/Fro have more than proven to the entire NHL they can work together and produce points. Plus they're a dynamic penalty kill unit. For those reason I see an appeal to them. Stone could be a positive influence in getting his brother Mark to re-sign in OTT or they risk losing him to....and for nothing. Andersen is an aging goalie and unlikely to be productive anymore. Gilles gives them a high profile goalie prospect who could one day take over, much the same way we all look at him around here. Problem here is we have Rittich and Parsons too.

Arizona Trade:
Have heard for a while now the "Yotes aren't happy with Dvorak's progress and talk of moving him has been out there. He's young, Lazar's young and perhaps a change of venue is just what they both need. Throwing in Brouwer...let's face facts, ARI is going to have to meet the cap floor somehow if it goes up as much as people think. So a higher end contract for 2 yrs on a guy who might have a better veteran presence there than he has here might be agreeable to them. At least Brouwer still plays in the league. I mean, where is Pavel Datsyuk right now yet they took on that contract (or at least the rights to it)

Toronto Trade:
Not sure if you read the comments in the trade box, but I made it clear it was done simply to get Marner and put the Knights line back together again. Moving Gio to the Leafs allows him to play out his final years in his hometown. Plus I don't see Marner being the "future stud" that you do if he stays in TO. Babs keeps pushing him down and he'll always play 2nd, 3rd fiddle to AM34 and Willy Nylander. Plus if they want to keep Willy can they afford Marner considering what Auston will command in dollars. So it was just a "dream" move more than anything.

Buffalo Trade:
They're going to lose Evander Kane likely sometime soon, maybe even to the Flames so Ferland replaces the grit lost in that. And do you really think Buffalo would turn down a chance to grab Johnny and attach him to the hip of Jack Eichel. They're currently the worst team in the league so a guy like Gaudreau on that team raises it's profile and gives it star power.

To top it all off, did anyone think Sacik would get the return he did for the Duchene deal? At least the guys in my trades can move and make a difference to their teams.
Agree or disagree, there is something appealing to each club in these moves. AT least there is in my mind.

OTT sucks right now and have 10 players they could lose for nothing at some point.
ARI just seems to never take a forward step.
TOR is TOR
BUF sucks despite a couple good young players and frankly if you were ROR how much effort would you really put out on a team you know will never be a powerhouse for the remainder of your time there. So a move here for him would rejuvinate him and the turn around would be just what we need. Besides, BUF will be holding their fire sale soon, so why shouldn't we try to pick up something bigger and brighter.

haha first of all, I'm not upset by any of this. I just think for this "game" to be fun, you have to be as realistic as possible or there's no point. That's why I gave you my opinion, granted it was a little harsh. Well, I'll humour you. But again, remember, this is just me telling you what I think about it realistically.

First off, I understand your rationale and it's not a bad one.. but, the point here is that logistically that trade does not make sense because of the cap going each way and because the value is just not there for Karlsson. Never mind all the stuff about Anderson's productivity and our goalie situation. Next, same idea, I get your rationale, but there's just no reason for Arizona to give up on a player and then get two guys in return that have proven to be fringe fourth liners. Even if Dvorak isn't producing, his ceiling is higher than Lazar and Brouwer would just be a cap dump. Also, Lazar did get a change of scenery from Ottawa, still didn't work out.

As for the Toronto trade, Marner is absolutely going to be a stud, and by stud I mean a top 6 player that will produce 60-70 points a year AT LEAST. He has that kind of talent. If Toronto really did have that issue with paying all three of Auston, Nylander and Marner, then why acquire an aging dman that makes almost 7 mill anyway? Just doesn't make sense. If they really wanted to trade Marner it would be for a younger dman, but I do think they'll be able to squeeze all 3 under the cap because they won't be resigning JVR in all likelihood.

Lastly the Buffalo trade, this is my least favourite one as I made clear to you in my original comment lol. So here's the thing, it doesn't matter if they would love Johnny with Eichel, it doesn't matter if kane will be a free agent so they'll want ferland and it also doesn't matter that ROR doesn't want to "put in effort because his team won't be a powerhouse", the factor that pertains to this deal first and foremost is the value. Everything else that you've mentioned here is secondary to that value. And the fact of the matter here is that Johnny is NOW entering his prime, he is already a terrific player who's got a 78 point campaign under his belt and is looking as if he will smash that personal record this season. ROR is a good player but nowhere near as dynamic as Johnny offensively and he has a higher cap hit than Johnny. In this league talent like Johnny's is rare and when you have it you better keep it. So there's no way we would ever deal Johnny for ROR, regardless of all the thing you mentioned.

Hope that wasn't too mean Sticking Out Tongue

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll