Forums/Armchair-GM

No Sedins Canucks

Created by: slewfootburrows
Team: 2016-17 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 22, 2016
Published: Mar. 22, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Sedins have been great, but we need some players who are in their prime and can control those top lines for four years while the younger players grow into their own. Seen too many games at Rogers this season where the young players are overwhelmed. With the team willing to spend to the cap, releasing the $14 million between Henrik and Daniel, as well as trading Miller's $6 million, the Canucks would be in a position to pay much more than any team for these players. Are they overpaid? Sure. But will the team contend a little bit while the young players catch up? Probably. Hey, if we're going to dream, dream big!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,250,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
3$4,500,000
3$1,500,000
5$6,250,000
5$6,250,000
5$6,250,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Gropp, Ryan
  2. Klein, Kevin
  3. Skapski, Mackenzie
  4. Tambellini, Adam
Additional Details:
2018 1st round pick
NYR
  1. Sedin, Daniel
  2. Sedin, Henrik
Additional Details:
2018 2nd round pick
SJS
  1. Miller, Ryan
Additional Details:
2017 3rd round pick
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$74,000,000$72,477,084$315,000$1,912,500$1,522,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW
UFA - 7
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,375,000$4,375,000
RW, C
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,550,000$1,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$896,250$896,250
LD
UFA - 1
$3,600,000$3,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,900,000$2,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 a.m.
Yes sign the guy with the most points out of all these players to the cheapest of the contracts...... Then you give Backes 7.1M?? Thennnnnnnnnnn you give the guy who was on waivers this year a pay increase?

I give up.
Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:06 a.m.
Out
There has to be a better tandem than Markstrom/Enroth. This team looks kinda like the Jets
Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Yes sign the guy with the most points out of all these players to the cheapest of the contracts...... Then you give Backes 7.1M?? Thennnnnnnnnnn you give the guy who was on waivers this year a pay increase?

I give up.

Don't give up, that's negative. Also, you're not commenting on anything related to the skill of the team. The Canucks can, in theory, do what I've done to this roster. So, with Kyle Okposo, I was looking at his cap hit and not his salary. His Cap hit is 2.5 and his salary is around 4.5. I'd bump him to 7 and shave off of Backes and Perron and/or Demers. I also have 2.6 million in room to just add Okposo anyway. Ignoring the fact that the contracts can work themselves out, mathematically... because this is pure speculation, this is a much improved version of the Canucks and definitely a playoff contender, assuming the leadership abilities of Okposo, Ladd and Backes, who all had leadership positions with their former teams.

Quoting: Peterman
There has to be a better tandem than Markstrom/Enroth. This team looks kinda like the Jets

Markstrom has proven more than capable of handling a full load, and Enroth is halfway decent. You don't need all-stars in goal these days, just serviceability. I'd call Markstrom, a Swedish national now, more than serviceable, and Enroth is really quite solid. The goaltending is good with this combo. In addition, the D is improved with veterans added to the lineup, who aren't going to break down. Demers is a solid puck moving D-man, and nothing says F-you to Dallas more than signing one of their better free agents. Klein, assuming he was included in a trade with the Rangers for the Sedins for the moment, is a decent, solid shut down guy with some offensive ability. This will improve the use of Edler, and we know Hutton and Tanev are studs already. I see no problem there.

Also, the Jets were dysfunctional as a result of infighting and locker room issues... a coaching change and lack of young players pushing up. The goaltending is also worse than the Canucks, and their D, after Byfuglien, was so bad that they had to trade the cancerous Evander Kane for Tyler Myers, who hasn't really amounted to much, much like the oft-injured Zach Bogosian. Sorry, not even close to that team with this one. The first line of Backes, between Ladd and Okposo is a gritty, in your face line that would be a nightmare to play against. Also, a grind it out defensive second line with some offensive ability of Sutter, Perron and Hansen would shut down other teams' best lines and get plenty of scoring opportunities. An up-and-coming third line of Horvat between Virtanen and Baertschi has already proven fun to watch and would benefit from not having to face first line D all game like they are now. Finally, the fourth line is an appropriate place for the aging Burrows, with the smart but learning fast Granlund and Burrows clone Mccann on the fourth.

To me this lineup, or some variation of it, represents the best chance the Canucks have at moving forward. The Sedins are clearly disconcerted at the direction of the team, have grown stale and easy to defend for first units and deserve another chance at a cup. Meanwhile the younger players are simply not ready for first line status, and need veterans to buffer them for about two or three seasons while they work this out. As third and fourth liners, the youth can play in the NHL. As first liners, we will sink to Edmonton levels of crap for years to come. This is the only way.
Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:50 p.m.
I feel that Vancouver will have another year with the Sedins and then when they have a year left retain half of their salaries and trade them to a competitor like you did. Can't see any team taking on 14 million dollars in cap space or Vancouver wanting to retain 7 million for two years. Vancouver will need to dismantle slowly this next year and shedding salaries of Miller, Higgins and Burrows will help.
Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:26 p.m.
Quoting: sfracca
Quoting: F50marco

I give up.

Don't give up, that's negative. Also, you're not commenting on anything related to the skill of the team. The Canucks can, in theory, do what I've done to this roster. So, with Kyle Okposo, I was looking at his cap hit and not his salary. His Cap hit is 2.5 and his salary is around 4.5. I'd bump him to 7 and shave off of Backes and Perron and/or Demers. I also have 2.6 million in room to just add Okposo anyway. Ignoring the fact that the contracts can work themselves out, mathematically... because this is pure speculation, this is a much improved version of the Canucks and definitely a playoff contender, assuming the leadership abilities of Okposo, Ladd and Backes, who all had leadership positions with their former teams.

Quoting: Peterman

Markstrom has proven more than capable of handling a full load, and Enroth is halfway decent. You don't need all-stars in goal these days, just serviceability. I'd call Markstrom, a Swedish national now, more than serviceable, and Enroth is really quite solid. The goaltending is good with this combo. In addition, the D is improved with veterans added to the lineup, who aren't going to break down. Demers is a solid puck moving D-man, and nothing says F-you to Dallas more than signing one of their better free agents. Klein, assuming he was included in a trade with the Rangers for the Sedins for the moment, is a decent, solid shut down guy with some offensive ability. This will improve the use of Edler, and we know Hutton and Tanev are studs already. I see no problem there.

Also, the Jets were dysfunctional as a result of infighting and locker room issues... a coaching change and lack of young players pushing up. The goaltending is also worse than the Canucks, and their D, after Byfuglien, was so bad that they had to trade the cancerous Evander Kane for Tyler Myers, who hasn't really amounted to much, much like the oft-injured Zach Bogosian. Sorry, not even close to that team with this one. The first line of Backes, between Ladd and Okposo is a gritty, in your face line that would be a nightmare to play against. Also, a grind it out defensive second line with some offensive ability of Sutter, Perron and Hansen would shut down other teams' best lines and get plenty of scoring opportunities. An up-and-coming third line of Horvat between Virtanen and Baertschi has already proven fun to watch and would benefit from not having to face first line D all game like they are now. Finally, the fourth line is an appropriate place for the aging Burrows, with the smart but learning fast Granlund and Burrows clone Mccann on the fourth.

To me this lineup, or some variation of it, represents the best chance the Canucks have at moving forward. The Sedins are clearly disconcerted at the direction of the team, have grown stale and easy to defend for first units and deserve another chance at a cup. Meanwhile the younger players are simply not ready for first line status, and need veterans to buffer them for about two or three seasons while they work this out. As third and fourth liners, the youth can play in the NHL. As first liners, we will sink to Edmonton levels of crap for years to come. This is the only way.

Ok well at least you updated the cap hits now. Was never doubting the talent of your team. No one would i dont think, just the plausibility which at the time before you changed the salaries was way off.

NYR can not take on 14M in salary in the Sedins. Makes no sense what so ever. They're already up to the cap as is. Miller to SJ is also not plausible. They don't have the cap room either.

Ultimately the entire team doesn't make sense. Those free agents wouldn't want to all sign with a rebuilding team not too mention there are better teams that would snatch probably most of those guys before Vancouver could. The trades aren't plausible either. Just my opinion though.
Mar. 23, 2016 at 3:08 p.m.
Edited Mar. 23, 2016 at 3:31 p.m.
NYR can take on $20 million in salary effective the end of this season.
NYR have Alain Vigneault, a coach who can maximize the use of the twins, and a coach the twins always liked playing for.
NYR have already made a trade with the Vancouver Canucks when they sent Etem over for Jensen. There is some relationship.
NYR have Henrik Lundqvist, a fellow Swedish national and Olympian.
NYR have need of an experienced second line that can puck possess and put up numbers.
NYR have an expiring Chris Kreider, Dominic Moore and Eric Staal, Keith Yandle and Dan Boyle. Except for Kreider, I don't see the Rangers forking out $$ any of those players.
NYR will not win the Stanley Cup, and will be under pressure to do so, as usual.
NYR makes a lot of sense to me.

The free agents that signed in Minnesota, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, for monster contracts .... nobody thought that was going to happen either. Now look at Minnesota. Anything possible there... especially since I'm grossly overpaying all of them.

Again, cap room in SJ is possible at the end of the season. This is to imagine the possibility.

The theory here, simply put, is that either:

A. the Canucks stick with the program and lose for three or four years, maybe more in the hopes that the young players get better (Edmonton model)

or
B. the Canucks need to "salary dump" in order to revamp the roster in some shape or form, adding quality veterans through free agency who play a style conducive to coach D's plan, or Mike Green's, which is a grinding, dump/chase, trapping kind of game.

The Canucks will be very aggressive this off-season, you'll see. Aquillini's do not like fiscal losses.
Mar. 27, 2016 at 10:54 a.m.
As a Canucks fan I dont feel comfortable giving injury prone Perron almost 5M. Some team is going to grossly overpay Backes. I would love for them to snatch one of those free agents but we are not going to sign that many.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll