Forums/Armchair-GM

Trading Zucker for Callahan II

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 17, 2018
Published: Jul. 17, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I got (justifiably) ripped for my last efforts...so I have decided to ask for Callahan plus 2 prospects in return for the services of LW/RW Jason Zucker.
Callahan's contract comes off the books along with Koivu's to give the Wild plenty of cap room to keep all these young players on the roster. Having Raddysh, Stephens, and Kunin in the AHL to start the season would be the most legitimate forward depth the Iowa Wild have ever had...and would make the Wild's future very bright!

What says you?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,650,000
5$5,050,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. Raddysh, Taylor
  3. Stephens, Mitchell
Additional Details:
Cal Foote is an option here too.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$79,500,000$78,804,424$25,000$1,507,500$695,576
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$5,650,000$5,650,000
RD
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 18, 2018 at 9:28 a.m.
mothariah
You trade a good offensive piece for an aging, injury-plagued depth forward who is way overpaid? Not seeing that... Even with some prospects coming back, and Cal Foote is NOT in play for any trade, not even Erik Karlsson.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 10:49 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: mothariah
You trade a good offensive piece for an aging, injury-plagued depth forward who is way overpaid? Not seeing that... Even with some prospects coming back, and Cal Foote is NOT in play for any trade, not even Erik Karlsson.

The Minnesota Wild have made the playoffs 6 years in a row...that's great...but, they have been mostly non-competitive in the post season those 6 years too. Basically, they are a franchise stuck in the mud because of loooong contracts to aging players. While taking on Callahan's contract is not ideal, if it ultimately gets two young, very good/great prospects for Zucker...I think it's worth it in the long haul. The Wild have enough forward depth to stay competitive without Zucker, so this is a trade designed for the long-term health of the Wild. The big picture here is the arrival of stud Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov. By all accounts, he is going to be an absolute offensive juggernaut, but cannot cross the ocean for two more seasons because of his KHL contract. Both Callahan and Koivu will be off the books by then and the Wild will be a new look team because their other old players (Parise and Suter) will have smaller roles and the current 20-something players (Granlund, Dumba, Niederrieter, et al) will take over the roles they should already have. Also by then, Eriksson Ek, Greenway, Kunin, et al will be ready for larger roles and the prospects in this trade, along with others in the system will be NHL ready. They will then be a very talented, balanced team...ready to be legitimate Cup contenders.

That was a long-winded answer for: This is a step backwards for the Wild so they can ultimately take 2 steps forward in the near future.
mothariah liked this.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
mothariah
Quoting: MNBassman
The Minnesota Wild have made the playoffs 6 years in a row...that's great...but, they have been mostly non-competitive in the post season those 6 years too. Basically, they are a franchise stuck in the mud because of loooong contracts to aging players. While taking on Callahan's contract is not ideal, if it ultimately gets two young, very good/great prospects for Zucker...I think it's worth it in the long haul. The Wild have enough forward depth to stay competitive without Zucker, so this is a trade designed for the long-term health of the Wild. The big picture here is the arrival of stud Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov. By all accounts, he is going to be an absolute offensive juggernaut, but cannot cross the ocean for two more seasons because of his KHL contract. Both Callahan and Koivu will be off the books by then and the Wild will be a new look team because their other old players (Parise and Suter) will have smaller roles and the current 20-something players (Granlund, Dumba, Niederrieter, et al) will take over the roles they should already have. Also by then, Eriksson Ek, Greenway, Kunin, et al will be ready for larger roles and the prospects in this trade, along with others in the system will be NHL ready. They will then be a very talented, balanced team...ready to be legitimate Cup contenders.

That was a long-winded answer for: This is a step backwards for the Wild so they can ultimately take 2 steps forward in the near future.

Okay, I agree with you, and I think that approach might happen soon for the Wild. And it would be better to begin that process sooner rather than later so they kids you talked about can be a part of the process. The Kunin's and the Eriksson Ek's.

But if you're going to go that route, why aren't you going to tear the whole thing down? Why hang on to Devan Dubnyk, who will probably not be an elite goaltender by that point? Why trade Zucker, who could be your veteran leader at that point, when you should really trade guys like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, etc. who are they players who can't get the Wild over the hump in the playoffs?

I get that Zucker would get you a big return, but it's not like you couldn't trade Coyle for a decent return. Same with some other players.

You're 100% right they are caught in limbo, but you can't do what the Canadiens did and think you can just make one large move to fix the problem. Trading P.K. Subban didn't solve the problem. And it's gone downhill from there.

If you want to rebuild for the future, you need to do what the Sharks did. Or what the Blackhawks are trying to do. Shed off a lot of dead weight, and bring in younger players who fit the modern game, or bring in some veterans on modest deals.

The point is, trading Zucker isn't going to fix anything today, and the return you get for Zucker probably won't fix anything tomorrow either. If you're going to go down that route, it's time to trade away more than just Zucker.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 2:31 p.m.
MNBassman
Okay, I agree with you, and I think that approach might happen soon for the Wild. And it would be better to begin that process sooner rather than later so they kids you talked about can be a part of the process. The Kunin's and the Eriksson Ek's.

But if you're going to go that route, why aren't you going to tear the whole thing down? Why hang on to Devan Dubnyk, who will probably not be an elite goaltender by that point? Why trade Zucker, who could be your veteran leader at that point, when you should really trade guys like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, etc. who are they players who can't get the Wild over the hump in the playoffs?

I get that Zucker would get you a big return, but it's not like you couldn't trade Coyle for a decent return. Same with some other players.

You're 100% right they are caught in limbo, but you can't do what the Canadiens did and think you can just make one large move to fix the problem. Trading P.K. Subban didn't solve the problem. And it's gone downhill from there.

If you want to rebuild for the future, you need to do what the Sharks did. Or what the Blackhawks are trying to do. Shed off a lot of dead weight, and bring in younger players who fit the modern game, or bring in some veterans on modest deals.

The point is, trading Zucker isn't going to fix anything today, and the return you get for Zucker probably won't fix anything tomorrow either. If you're going to go down that route, it's time to trade away more than just Zucker.

Awesome points and I agree with almost everything you said. The main reason for doing what I did is Wild owner Craig Leipold. He has stated vehemently that he will not allow a rebuild, but only a "tweak" or two. The other reason is Zach Parise and Ryan Suter...or their contracts to be more specific. It would be very difficult to do a true rebuild without trading both of them...but they have NMC/NTCs. Both chose to come to MN to be closer to home and family, so I don't see them allowing the Wild to move them. Besides, who is dumb enough to take on their contracts anyway?

I don't like the idea of trading either Coyle or Niederreiter, as you suggest. Both are coming off injury-plagued, down seasons and the Wild would be selling low. I'm not a fan of that. Zucker is the one to trade because he is going to get (IMO) more money and more term than he is worth coming off a career year. Zucker is a very good player and adds a lot...but, (again IMO) he is the type of piece a true contender adds, not a player to build around. This is why I think he would make a ton of sense in Tampa. They get a real player for Callahan's money and the Wild get 2 very nice prospects to build around for the future. It makes so much sense in my pea-sized brain that I can't believe it hasn't already happened...grin
mothariah liked this.
Jul. 19, 2018 at 10:21 a.m.
mothariah
Quoting: MNBassman
Awesome points and I agree with almost everything you said. The main reason for doing what I did is Wild owner Craig Leipold. He has stated vehemently that he will not allow a rebuild, but only a "tweak" or two. The other reason is Zach Parise and Ryan Suter...or their contracts to be more specific. It would be very difficult to do a true rebuild without trading both of them...but they have NMC/NTCs. Both chose to come to MN to be closer to home and family, so I don't see them allowing the Wild to move them. Besides, who is dumb enough to take on their contracts anyway?

I don't like the idea of trading either Coyle or Niederreiter, as you suggest. Both are coming off injury-plagued, down seasons and the Wild would be selling low. I'm not a fan of that. Zucker is the one to trade because he is going to get (IMO) more money and more term than he is worth coming off a career year. Zucker is a very good player and adds a lot...but, (again IMO) he is the type of piece a true contender adds, not a player to build around. This is why I think he would make a ton of sense in Tampa. They get a real player for Callahan's money and the Wild get 2 very nice prospects to build around for the future. It makes so much sense in my pea-sized brain that I can't believe it hasn't already happened...grin

Agreed, but you can rebuild around those contracts. You can trade everyone else from the team. You have to hit the salary floor somehow, right?

I know the owner doesn't want a rebuild, but if you are in the middle of the pack, you options are to stay the course and continue to be mediocre, or tweak a lot more than one or two pieces and get significantly better.
MNBassman liked this.
Jul. 19, 2018 at 10:53 a.m.
MNBassman
Agreed, but you can rebuild around those contracts. You can trade everyone else from the team. You have to hit the salary floor somehow, right?

I know the owner doesn't want a rebuild, but if you are in the middle of the pack, you options are to stay the course and continue to be mediocre, or tweak a lot more than one or two pieces and get significantly better.

That’s exactly what should be done...
mothariah liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll