SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What happens if a team goes over the cap using LTIR relief and then the player returns?

Nov. 28, 2018 at 9:13 a.m.
I apologize if this has been asked, I tried googling around didn't help and I don't know how to search the forum.

Let's say the Oilers trade for a player with a $2M cap hit, and then Sekera suddenly gets cleared a week later. Do they have to immediately make moves to become cap compliant?
Nov. 28, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Yes, they do
Nov. 30, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: Banks
Yes, they do

And since I assume teams are under no obligation to help them out in this spot, they'd be pretty screwed?
Nov. 30, 2018 at 3:11 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: WingerSupreme
And since I assume teams are under no obligation to help them out in this spot, they'd be pretty screwed?

They'd be in a tough situation if they filled the roster position with a high cap hit player.

Generally they know whether or not a player is likely to return this season, and plan accordingly.
Nov. 30, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: Banks
They'd be in a tough situation if they filled the roster position with a high cap hit player.

Generally they know whether or not a player is likely to return this season, and plan accordingly.

I just wanted to end an argument with someone who was suggesting the Leafs could/should trade Connor Brown to the Oilers because they have cap space from the LTIR relief for Sekera, and wanted to point out how stupid it would be for Edmonton to put themselves in that spot. Thanks!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll