Forums/Armchair-GM

the ideal trade deadline

Created by: Spanky227
Team: 2018-19 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2019
Published: Jan. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hayes Trade: Report says there are multiple suitors inquiring about him. He's gathered so much interest that it even said they will be able to "auction him off" to the highest bidder. WPG has been a team that he'd be a perfect fit for (with COL being another). Sakic is a d1ck so he'll probably bid enough to make WPG force giving up Ves without giving up Kaut, Makar or Ott 1st, just to put WPG in a rougher spot for the future.

Zucc/McQuaid- Was pulled directly from a Dallas post. Love this trade for the rangers as they get perfect players for Quinn's Philosophy. They are the Quinntessential players

Strome/Smith - was pulled from a Buffalo post- slight change from a 4th to a 3rd and 4th with rangers giving up a 5th. This was posted before Strome's slight improvement in Hayes absence. Would still take a 4th only so this could be adjusted if needed.

Kreider deal- this aint steve y anymore. Kreider isn't just a rental either with another year left on his deal. Taking a cap hit of Callahan gets you a bit more, Kreider's value is at an all time high and he gives Tampa an even more deadly lineup (he'd be a 2nd or 3rd liner). Foote and raddysh are good prospects and the pick has a condition. I would love tampa to win this year and the rangers get there next two first rounders. The pick may be an overreach but whatever.

Shatt/Buch deal- Nylander hasn't exactly panned out for toronto. They need cap next year badly to sign Matthews/Marner. As i learned yesterday Horton isn't on LTIR (even though he's eligable to make sure toronto doesn't have to pay some bonus). Shattenkirk @ almost half plus buchnevich (i'd love to see him get an actual opportunity surrounded by talent) isn't a bad deal for nylander and a huge cap dump that'll enable them to sign their RFAs. Throw in a 2nd as well? May end up being a steal for toronto

Rangers most likely won't compete next year, but the influx of:
Raddysh, Foote, Hintz, Heatherington, Mascherin, Vesalainen boosts their prospect pool even more.

With the influx of prospects and picks, may convince WPG at the deadline to part ways with Trouba for Pionk+

Next years line potential:
Trade: Namestnikov, Vesey
Buyout: Callahan, Staal

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kravtsov
Vesalainen-Nylander-Chytil
Mascherin-Andersson-Raddysh
Nieves-Howden-Fast

Skjei-Trouba
Heatherington-Foote
Lindgren-DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Shestyorkin
Trades
NYR
  1. Vesalainen, Kristian
Additional Details:
Rangers get a 2nd round pick in 2019 if WPG makes the conference finals
Rangers get a 1st round pick in 2019 if Hayes resigns
NYR
  1. Heatherington, Dillon
  2. Hintz, Roope
  3. Mascherin, Adam
  4. 2019 4th round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
This was posted by a dallas fan- removed the third rounder for not retaining on McQuaid
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/997806
NYR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2019 4th round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
This was posted by a buffalo fan-- strome has played very well in an expanded role in hayes absence, maybe it increased his value a bit

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/191673&post_id=695685
BUF
  1. Smith, Brendan
  2. Strome, Ryan
  3. 2019 5th round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. Foote, Cal
  3. Raddysh, Taylor
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
if Tampa wins the cup this year or next, 2nd rounder turns to 1st
TOR
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel
  2. Shattenkirk, Kevin ($3,000,000 retained)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$79,500,000$66,399,304$0$3,290,000$13,100,696
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
RFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$708,750$708,750
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,275,000$2,275,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
I get that's an ideal TDL for a Rangers fan, since all of those deals are overpayments from the other teams.

Don't see Hayes trade involving an actual top prospect like Vesalainen, Kaut, Makar or OTT 1st or anything like that. I can't see BUF taking any more salary in Strome and Smith if they need to pay big money for re-signing Skinner. Besides, Smith is pure negative value. Strome is also overpaid, but could fetch a 3rd. TB is overpaying big time. Foote and Raddysh are top prospects. Besides, if they try to make more cap space by moving Callahan, it's not likely to see them acquire a player with several years left on his contract. They need the money to resign Point and others.
DAL offering several good prospects+pick for Zuccarello and McQuaid is a bit too much, but it's probably the closest of these deals alongside with the TOR deal, but that also has it's own problems, since Shatty has been pretty bad...also they don't really need to move Horton, he can be put to LTIR.
Jan. 25, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Tspky
Quoting: TheChief
I get that's an ideal TDL for a Rangers fan, since all of those deals are overpayments from the other teams.

Don't see Hayes trade involving an actual top prospect like Vesalainen, Kaut, Makar or OTT 1st or anything like that. I can't see BUF taking any more salary in Strome and Smith if they need to pay big money for re-signing Skinner. Besides, Smith is pure negative value. Strome is also overpaid, but could fetch a 3rd. TB is overpaying big time. Foote and Raddysh are top prospects. Besides, if they try to make more cap space by moving Callahan, it's not likely to see them acquire a player with several years left on his contract. They need the money to resign Point and others.
DAL offering several good prospects+pick for Zuccarello and McQuaid is a bit too much, but it's probably the closest of these deals alongside with the TOR deal, but that also has it's own problems, since Shatty has been pretty bad...also they don't really need to move Horton, he can be put to LTIR.

Like i said i don't see Makar, Kaut or Otts 1st in the mix because of Sakic, however it's a mixed bag on Vesalainen (he's not as high ranked as Makar or Otts 1st, higher ranked than kaut but sakic is a pain). Hayes has some of the best underlying numbers. A top 40 P/60 puts him right in line as a high end 2c (especially considering this is between all positions), and an 11th overall relative GF% is nothing to smirk at. He plays in all scenarios and his value is at his highest right now considering he's producing at a 65points/82games pace. He's big, he's a center, wins faceoffs, is a monster for possession (i don't know how he keeps the puck sometimes), starts 57% in the defensive zone and plays PK/PP. He's a prototypical do it all center. No he is not elite like Mackinnon, Crosby, etc. But he is very solid. If colorado and wpg (or another western team like Nashville) get in a bidding war for him it'll be interesting to see what he can get the rangers

As for the Buffalo deal, it was posted by one of their fans-- rangers should jump at even just a 4th if they can package strome/smith like i said in the discription. Since that post, Strome has played very well filling in for Hayes (while the rangers keep him out to prevent injury). If strome works on his footspeed and aggressiveness he'd take a huge step forward. Med risk/high reward deal (also a buy out of smith isn't that much against the cap)

in terms of the Tampa deal, neither foote or raddysh make tsn's top 50 prospects list. Both are still good prospects. Callahan makes 5.8m next season, kreider makes over a million less (and is obviously the much better player). Offer is actually very similar to the McD trade (obviously less as McD>Kreider). Rangers got two good prospects in Howden and Hajek along with a 1st rounder and another 1st rounder(conditional-min a 2nd rounder). The Miller/Namestnikov was an even swap. This one the rangers are taking a bad contract back, getting two good prospects (neither made top 50 tsn recently released) and just a conditional 1st rounder. Like i said the pick might be a bit of a reach but Raddysh/Foote/Callahan for Kreider isn't bad-- and rangers can always send a mid round pick back (3rd or later) and Claesson/Fast.

Dallas trade i thought was a great trade for the rangers which means it was in their favor-- once again posted by a dallas fan

toronto deal would be interesting-- you get a young cost controlled forward in buchnevich and shattenkirk for cheaper than nylander is (buch needs a change of scenery) along with an early 2nd round pick. Nylander obviously has his upside but Tor does need to sign marner and matthews (and possibly gardiner but fans get on his case)

yeah it's an "Ideal trade deadline" for the rangers, anything close to this would be acceptable though
Jan. 25, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Victor_Hockey
Quoting: Spanky227

toronto deal would be interesting-- you get a young cost controlled forward in buchnevich and shattenkirk for cheaper than nylander is (buch needs a change of scenery) along with an early 2nd round pick. Nylander obviously has his upside but Tor does need to sign marner and matthews (and possibly gardiner but fans get on his case)

yeah it's an "Ideal trade deadline" for the rangers, anything close to this would be acceptable though

I personally think the rangers would have to add more to that trade. Adding a B prospect or another 2nd rd pick.
Jan. 25, 2019 at 12:27 p.m.
Tspky
Quoting: Victor_Hockey
I personally think the rangers would have to add more to that trade. Adding a B prospect or another 2nd rd pick.

yes but horton is just dead cap for toronto-- yes he can be placed on LTIR but toronto needs the money on the books to avoid the bonus hit to the cap-- they essentially replace that salary with players that are usable while addressing a need (RHD) getting a replacement player that can put up 40+ points on a bad rangers team last year and a 2nd rounder. Shattenkirk has underperformed since joining the rangers yes, but he's also had to learn two new defensive schemes and has been injured. He's finally healthy and performing much better the past month. I wouldn't throw in a b prospect or a 2nd but i would throw in a 3rd rounder to make the deal go through. It's pretty even considering the advantages it gives toronto for marner/matthews
Jan. 25, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
Going to respectfully disagree with your assumption Sakic becomes overaggressive and offers any of the aforementioned prospects. I think he realizes this is not the year to gamble. Yes "ideally" he would offer those prospects, but I doubt it is going to happen.

However, I do think a first, a third, and a decent prospect are on the table, and maybe Cheveldayoff offers a first and a better prospect? Not sure how exactly it will play out. I would just think Sakic would look for other options if the price for Hayes is that high.

That Sabres trade though...I think that's very fair (just take out the 5th).
Jan. 25, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Tspky
Quoting: rja
Going to respectfully disagree with your assumption Sakic becomes overaggressive and offers any of the aforementioned prospects. I think he realizes this is not the year to gamble. Yes "ideally" he would offer those prospects, but I doubt it is going to happen.

However, I do think a first, a third, and a decent prospect are on the table, and maybe Cheveldayoff offers a first and a better prospect? Not sure how exactly it will play out. I would just think Sakic would look for other options if the price for Hayes is that high.

That Sabres trade though...I think that's very fair (just take out the 5th).

You may want to read that again. I said he would be a d1ck and force WPG to give up ves WITHOUT including Kaut, Makar or Ottawas 1st. As in he would offer a package of b level prospects and picks where the only way to beat it is by offering an true blue chip prospect. And WPG gives in
Jan. 25, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: Spanky227
You may want to read that again. I said he would be a d1ck and force WPG to give up ves WITHOUT including Kaut, Makar or Ottawas 1st. As in he would offer a package of b level prospects and picks where the only way to beat it is by offering an true blue chip prospect. And WPG gives in

Missing my point. Bottom line is I have read your posts and COL and WPG are not adding their top prospects to the trade. Vesalainen is not going to be moved. Neither is Makar, Kaut, Jost, and probably not Timmins either. Hayes should yield a first, a conditional third, and a good prospect, but not the organization's top prospects. It's a good return for a rental, but I highly doubt any competent GM would sacrifice their top prospects.
TheChief liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll