Stone to the Habs

Created by: Perry4761
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2019
Published: Feb. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trade explanation:

Shaw is having the best year in his career and is on pace to finish the year with 45 points in 64 games. If he hadn't been injured he would've been on pace for 58 points in 82 games. He can definitely handle 2nd line duties, and would be great on a line with Tkachuk and White.

Fleury is a promising RD prospect, which Ottawa needs more of. I would've put Juulsen there, but he's injured and thus can't be traded so I put Fleury+2nd in 2020 instead. Should develop into a decent top 4 D-man, imo he becomes better than Demelo in the next 2-3 years maximum.

Nick Suzuki is expected to develop into a top 6 forward, I see him as either C or RW, he might make the NHL next year and is definitely a player to be excited about. Great prospect to have on a rebuilding team. If you don't get a 1C or a 1C prospect when you trade Duchene, he might fit the bill. Realistically, I see him becoming a 2nd liner on a top 5 team or 1st liner on a lower half team.

A 1st is a 1st, always good to have when you are rebuilding.

Hudon is there because he would be an upgrade on who OTT currently have on their 3rd line (Smith), and he has no future in MTL. He is a goalscorer that unfortunately is not good enough for a 2nd line, and he isn't big enough for the type of 3rd line we want to have in MTL, but I could see him succeed on a line with any one of Tierney or Pageau or White in OTT, depending on who you decide to play as your 3C. He had 10 goals and 30 points for us last year in 70 games.

This is imo much better value than what OTT got for Karlsson or Hoffman, it's even better than what MTL got for Pacioretty and that was considered a win-win trade. This trade lays the groundwork for a successful rebuild in Ottawa, as they get a productive 2nd liner that plays every shift with passion in Shaw, some young and talented depth in Hudon, an extremely promising prospect in Suzuki (he definitely would've been on our 1st line in the AHL if it weren't for the CHL-NHL agreement), a much needed first round pick this year, a potential top 4 RD in Fleury and a 2nd round pick in 2020 as a cherry on the sundae.

As for us, Stone should add a nice finishing touch to the playmakers that are Domi and Tatar, I see him having very good synergy with them. He will also be very helpful to our ever-struggling powerplay. The only hole left on this team is at the LD position, but I wouldn't make a move for one yet. Kulak, Mete and Reilly have been good enough so far, and I wouldn't want to trade more of our future than what has already been dealt to OTT in this trade. I also wouldn't want to touch to our top 6 + Kotkaniemi after this this trade, and what's left outside if that is not valuable enough to get an upgrade at the LD position. I would let the guys at LD prove their worth over the rest of the season, and look at signing someone like Gardiner on July 1st.
Trades
MTL
  1. Stone, Mark
Additional Details:
Trade made if the permission to negotiate a contract with Stone beforehand is given by OTT, after which a sign and trade will take place.
OTT
  1. Fleury, Cale
  2. Hudon, Charles
  3. Shaw, Andrew
  4. Suzuki, Nick
  5. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
  6. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$73,011,309$0$2,682,500$6,488,691

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$7,350,000$7,350,000
RW
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 8
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 13, 2019 at 7:08 p.m.
Billy739
pass , to much to give up to a guy we can just get as a UFA

he doesnt have to move and gets on a playoff team .
plus he gets out of the OTT nonesense moving forward.

OTT maybe could match but he's committing to playing the rest of his NHL career to a losing team if he signs there as these days wingers like Stone are out of the NHL by age 33-34 these days and that number shrinks each season. like Brassard he just wants a chance to be in a cup situation
Feb. 13, 2019 at 7:42 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
pass , to much to give up to a guy we can just get as a UFA

he doesnt have to move and gets on a playoff team .
plus he gets out of the OTT nonesense moving forward.

OTT maybe could match but he's committing to playing the rest of his NHL career to a losing team if he signs there as these days wingers like Stone are out of the NHL by age 33-34 these days and that number shrinks each season. like Brassard he just wants a chance to be in a cup situation

He's at over a ppg this season on a team that's dead last in the league. Players this good don't hit the trading block often, and he may not hit the UFA market at all if he signs with the team he's traded to, which is why I believe a sign and trade is the best approach to make the team even more competitive this year and for the next 10 years.

The truth is Hudon and Fleury will never make it on our team, because we already have Juulsen and Brook who are better and will be battling for that RD spot next year, and with Lehkonen, Byron, Drouin, Tatar on the LW there is just no place for Hudon on this team. Add to that the fact that Poehling will look to make the team next year, and now you've got even less place for Hudon on this roster. Therefore I don't mind using these two players as overpayment to make sure we land a highly coveted PPG goalscorer. S

haw is also expendable in this situation, because believe me when you see Mark Stone snipe that puck top titty with a laser quick wrist shot on a beautiful feed from Drouin during his first game in MTL, you'll be saying "Andrew who?" like everyone else. Suzuki is probably our best prospect, considering that Kotkaniemi no longer is a prospect and is now an NHLer, however it is wishful thinking to believe he will become half as good as Stone is. Everyone thought the Strome brothers would rip the NHL apart, look at them today.

Our prospect pool is so deep that I'm not really worried about giving away this year's 1st or next year's 2nd, especially considering that we will probably be outside the top 15 picks this year, which is where most good picks happen, and that we have 2 2nd round picks this year. If we don't find that there is a player we really want in this year's draft, we can trade one of our 2019 2nd to a team who wants one particular player for like a 3rd 2019 and a 2nd 2020 during the draft day. I believe that having Stone on our team immediately puts us in a cup situation this year, and having him signed means we will be contenders for the next 4-5 years, especially with the development of Mete, Kotkaniemi, Juulsen, Poehling, and one or more of Romanov, Brook and Harris.

This trade isn't a robbery in any way, but even if it is an overpayment, it ensures Habs excellence for years to come, while it would be fun the sign him as a UFA and lose nothing, it is a risk because there is no guarantee he signs with us, whereas this sign and trade makes him ours and enables us to make a serious run for it every year starting now. Also, if we wanna trade with Ottawa we need to give them an incentive to do so, because teams don't like trading their top players within the division.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Perry4761
He's at over a ppg this season on a team that's dead last in the league. Players this good don't hit the trading block often, and he may not hit the UFA market at all if he signs with the team he's traded to, which is why I believe a sign and trade is the best approach to make the team even more competitive this year and for the next 10 years.

The truth is Hudon and Fleury will never make it on our team, because we already have Juulsen and Brook who are better and will be battling for that RD spot next year, and with Lehkonen, Byron, Drouin, Tatar on the LW there is just no place for Hudon on this team. Add to that the fact that Poehling will look to make the team next year, and now you've got even less place for Hudon on this roster. Therefore I don't mind using these two players as overpayment to make sure we land a highly coveted PPG goalscorer. S

haw is also expendable in this situation, because believe me when you see Mark Stone snipe that puck top titty with a laser quick wrist shot on a beautiful feed from Drouin during his first game in MTL, you'll be saying "Andrew who?" like everyone else. Suzuki is probably our best prospect, considering that Kotkaniemi no longer is a prospect and is now an NHLer, however it is wishful thinking to believe he will become half as good as Stone is. Everyone thought the Strome brothers would rip the NHL apart, look at them today.

Our prospect pool is so deep that I'm not really worried about giving away this year's 1st or next year's 2nd, especially considering that we will probably be outside the top 15 picks this year, which is where most good picks happen, and that we have 2 2nd round picks this year. If we don't find that there is a player we really want in this year's draft, we can trade one of our 2019 2nd to a team who wants one particular player for like a 3rd 2019 and a 2nd 2020 during the draft day. I believe that having Stone on our team immediately puts us in a cup situation this year, and having him signed means we will be contenders for the next 4-5 years, especially with the development of Mete, Kotkaniemi, Juulsen, Poehling, and one or more of Romanov, Brook and Harris.

This trade isn't a robbery in any way, but even if it is an overpayment, it ensures Habs excellence for years to come, while it would be fun the sign him as a UFA and lose nothing, it is a risk because there is no guarantee he signs with us, whereas this sign and trade makes him ours and enables us to make a serious run for it every year starting now. Also, if we wanna trade with Ottawa we need to give them an incentive to do so, because teams don't like trading their top players within the division.

what part of any of that made you think i'd agree just to try and get him here a year early .
WE DONT WANT RENTALS its Public Knowledge .

IF and i mean IF we take a name that big it will be this summer in free agency as MB said our 1st picks nor our prospects are being moved .
if we can get Stone for 2 seconds ,Juulsen and Byron then sure we probably upgrade on Byron's spot for that price as with Weber and Petry here for years to come and Brook/Fleury knocking on the door it just makes sense to move juulsen now before we botch his growth like Beaulieu

this whole idea its a slam dunk to sign him as a ufa isnt as solid as you purpose or you'd agree with my point about just waiting to do that .
for some reason you think adding stone = cup in 2019 .
but honestly Wayne Gretzky in his Prime couldnt carry this team as is to a Cup but we got a solid youth core now and are building or were until you took our depth and gave it away for 3 months max of a players contract as again we'r e not a cup team this year
Feb. 13, 2019 at 8:09 p.m.
live 4 shit rumors
I think you’re giving up huge assets.

Suzuki can be a really good play maker 50-70 points a year.
Shaw is apparently good in the playoffs and we paid handsomely to get him.
Cale fleury is a EXPANSION EXEMPT prospect who’s can be good for us in a few years..
A 1st and 2nd could be very valuable prospects...

All for stone??? Like we have to get back stone + a chabot type prospect in return.

I don’t think this is fair. Take away the draft picks and it’s more even.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
HabsFan
Value wise... it is an overpay but for a Stone under a contract of 6y x 8,5M... it worth it!
Fair value would be: Shaw, Suzuki, Hudon, 1st
Feb. 13, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: DomCholette
Value wise... it is an overpay but for a Stone under a contract of 6y x 8,5M... it worth it!

Fleury & 2nd is too much imo
Feb. 14, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
what part of any of that made you think i'd agree just to try and get him here a year early .
WE DONT WANT RENTALS its Public Knowledge .

IF and i mean IF we take a name that big it will be this summer in free agency as MB said our 1st picks nor our prospects are being moved .
if we can get Stone for 2 seconds ,Juulsen and Byron then sure we probably upgrade on Byron's spot for that price as with Weber and Petry here for years to come and Brook/Fleury knocking on the door it just makes sense to move juulsen now before we botch his growth like Beaulieu

this whole idea its a slam dunk to sign him as a ufa isnt as solid as you purpose or you'd agree with my point about just waiting to do that .
for some reason you think adding stone = cup in 2019 .
but honestly Wayne Gretzky in his Prime couldnt carry this team as is to a Cup but we got a solid youth core now and are building or were until you took our depth and gave it away for 3 months max of a players contract as again we'r e not a cup team this year

Did you read the part about only doing it if it was a sign and trade? Or did you just elect to ignore that?
Feb. 14, 2019 at 9:09 a.m.
Quoting: DomCholette

If Marc made that trade he would go down as a god. that would be the most one sided trade
athrin liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll