$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 15, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
A couple of things here:

1. I really, really doubt that Niskanen is going to either waive his NTC, or has EDM as a team on his trade list. I'm thinking that MIN might be a good destination, because I see them trading a RHD to TOR this off-season to replace Gardiner.

2. I think some team desperate for scoring is going to throw a ton of money at Connolly. I think he priced himself out of DC last night. He has 19 goals, skating on the third line, playing very little to no time on the PP. Some team is going to take the risk that if he gets top six time, he'll score 30+. I think EDM throws cash his way.

3. I'd be surprised if the Caps give Burakovsky more than a 1 year deal at that price. Backie and Holtby are pending UFAs after this season, and that 3.3M could come in handy. This is assuming that the Caps will keep Holtby around, which depending on how this year's playoff run goes, could go either way. Personally, I think if the Caps don't repeat, they're trading Holtby at the draft or later in the summer to a team that had Cup aspirations, but had mediocre to bad goaltending (Calgary, San Jose)
mn1365 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
FWIW on Conno:

I have a good friend that works in the Caps front office, in a pretty "important" position that aligns a lot with the players and listening to them as a filter to the front office. I spoke with him a few weeks ago face-to-face when the Caps were on the West Coast...

...On Connolly he stated that they've had numerous discussions about the future and Conno loves DC, he's made it his home, he won the Cup there, the Caps management resurrected his career after TB and BOS basically said he was a bust. He doesn't plan on returning the favor by crapping on the Caps for a few extra dollars. He fits in on the Caps, he has serious chemistry with Eller, and he's comfortable being a good contributing 3RW, than a 2RW that must put up 25g/40a or be deemed a waste of $4.5-$5M...that being said Conno indicated he was willing to make a compromise...a hometown contract in the $3-$4M range but with an extra year or two on it. So instead of $4.0M x 2 years he would be okay with $3.25M x 4 years. Which would take him to the cusp of his 30's and if he remains a 20-ish goal scorer he could get another 3-4 year "get paid" deal when that day comes....I think the Caps can afford that, and Vrana, and maybe Hagelin (on the cheap) if they part with Bura and/or Nisky at the draft...
MK57 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:21 p.m.
MK57
Quoting: netminder71
FWIW on Conno:

I have a good friend that works in the Caps front office, in a pretty "important" position that aligns a lot with the players and listening to them as a filter to the front office. I spoke with him a few weeks ago face-to-face when the Caps were on the West Coast...

...On Connolly he stated that they've had numerous discussions about the future and Conno loves DC, he's made it his home, he won the Cup there, the Caps management resurrected his career after TB and BOS basically said he was a bust. He doesn't plan on returning the favor by crapping on the Caps for a few extra dollars. He fits in on the Caps, he has serious chemistry with Eller, and he's comfortable being a good contributing 3RW, than a 2RW that must put up 25g/40a or be deemed a waste of $4.5-$5M...that being said Conno indicated he was willing to make a compromise...a hometown contract in the $3-$4M range but with an extra year or two on it. So instead of $4.0M x 2 years he would be okay with $3.25M x 4 years. Which would take him to the cusp of his 30's and if he remains a 20-ish goal scorer he could get another 3-4 year "get paid" deal when that day comes....I think the Caps can afford that, and Vrana, and maybe Hagelin (on the cheap) if they part with Bura and/or Nisky at the draft...

It would be really nice if the Caps could do this, it would give them a ton of flexibility with the younger scoring threats that are currently in the system (thinking Barber, Sutter, Clark, Gersich, etc.). If Connolly continues to produce well on the 3rd line, it gives those guys more time to develop in the AHL or rotating into the 3rd line on the left side over the next few years. Also gives the Caps trade options up and down the board for teams looking for either established or young talent, should they desire. And all of that comes as just a perk to adding a 20 goal threat on a team-friendly contract. Hope it gets done.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: staytru20
A couple of things here:

1. I really, really doubt that Niskanen is going to either waive his NTC, or has EDM as a team on his trade list. I'm thinking that MIN might be a good destination, because I see them trading a RHD to TOR this off-season to replace Gardiner.

2. I think some team desperate for scoring is going to throw a ton of money at Connolly. I think he priced himself out of DC last night. He has 19 goals, skating on the third line, playing very little to no time on the PP. Some team is going to take the risk that if he gets top six time, he'll score 30+. I think EDM throws cash his way.

3. I'd be surprised if the Caps give Burakovsky more than a 1 year deal at that price. Backie and Holtby are pending UFAs after this season, and that 3.3M could come in handy. This is assuming that the Caps will keep Holtby around, which depending on how this year's playoff run goes, could go either way. Personally, I think if the Caps don't repeat, they're trading Holtby at the draft or later in the summer to a team that had Cup aspirations, but had mediocre to bad goaltending (Calgary, San Jose)

Initially I had thought of Niskanen to Minnesota as it makes a great deal of sense, but I wasn't sure about it being the right fit. They seem to be doing a bit of a re-tool and he is an aging defence. I guess teams can always use veteran experience. His championship pedigree would make him an asset on Edmonton, would go a long way to have him there to mentor the younger D (Bouchard, Jones, Bear etc) into becoming a pro. But I see what you are saying.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
FWIW on Conno:

This is an interesting development, I love Connolly and all the success that he has had. I think ideally he wants to stay in Washington because he has been given a consistent role and has found a home on the 3rd line. I would be extremely happy with 3.25 x 4 as I think it gives us much needed scoring depth. That being said he is HOT right now and no doubt teams are considering giving him a decent contract in the offseason. It all likely depends on what BM does with Burakovsky as his money will likely be needed to sign Vrana and Connolly unless another move is made.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
FWIW on Conno:

I call bull**** on the friend in a high place. If he is aware of negotiations he would not be talking to you and risk being fired.
Mar. 18, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Quoting: AFriendCalledFive
I call bull**** on the friend in a high place. If he is aware of negotiations he would not be talking to you and risk being fired.

Call BS all you want. He's telling me they're talking to an agent. And I'm asking a range and what the player wants. It is called a conversation. Has ZERO to do with anything and isn't gonna get anyone fired. People put stuff 100x more damaging on Twitter...all I am saying is the guy wants to stay in DC and has a threshold of friendly-deal negotiating he is looking for.

Anything else is two guys having a hockey chat and is opinion...so thanks for chiming in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll