SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Full Two-Round Mock Draft w/ Pick Explanations

Full Two-Round Mock Draft w/ Pick Explanations

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: bruinsdude77
Published: Jun. 18, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Description
This is my third and final mock and the first time I'm going to officially tackle the second round. I've seen several players with second-round grades live this season, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this extended mock plays out for some of those guys. I've only made some slight changes from my last mock in the first round, although the Trouba trade has shaken things up. I also think there will be several trades, so no one will actually be able to accurately mock the first or especially the second round, but this is my best bet if by some chance there is no movement.

Top prospects remaining after Round 2: Vladislav Kolyachonok, Ilya Nikolaev, Kirill Slepets, Henry Thrun, Yegor Spiridonov, Alex Beaucage, Albin Grewe, Patrick Moynihan, Jackson LaCombe, Marc Del Gaizo, Samuel ****emo
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-It's crazy that we're this close to the draft and there still is some question as to who goes No. 1. Although the Devils did the same thing when they took Hischier over Patrick two years ago. I have remained on the Hughes bandwagon and I'm not jumping off now. I think he will be the better of the two players, even if Kakko makes a bigger impact right off the bat. Smart, talented centers of Hughes' caliber simply don't come around very often.
2Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers will be psyched to land whoever the Devils don't take, in this case Kakko. He will join an impressive prospect corps and will likely have top-six duties immediately. Between Kakko, Trouba, and what I expect to be a decent free agent haul, the Rangers rebuild will be looking mighty fine
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-I think Byram is the third-best player in this class, but there's a limit to "best player available". I don't think you can spend the draft capital on defenders that the Blackhawks have the last two years and then go back to the well yet again. They need a forward and a local kid with a well-rounded game is a great pick. I also think that if Byram were the target, there wouldn't be so much conversation about COL/LA/DET taking him
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsHere is where the draft really starts. New Jersey knows who they're taking, New York knows they're taking whoever New Jersey doesn't, and Chicago has had months to evaluate every other top prospect and know where they're going. Colorado is in the dark. If Byram is there, they will certainly consider taking him. However, I think that they are good in terms of young defenseman at the NHL level and can add to the pipeline later on in this draft. The more pressing need is secondary scoring. I might deviate from some other popular rankings here, but I really like Cozens and see him as the superior talent to Dach and more pro-ready than Zegras. I think he can be a difference-maker for the Avs right away. His versatility is an added bonus.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-This is a dream scenario for L.A. I don't think they can pass on the best defenseman in the draft. It fills a huge need for them and, like Colorado, they still have another first-rounder to add a second top prospect up front.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I let Zegras slide in my last mock and I wasn't happy about it. I didn't see a natural fit until outside the top ten, but I think he's too talented for teams to pass just on fit. I believe that Detroit really wants Byram and may even look to move up a couple spots to get him. If they don't, and don't trade back, I think they take the best player available and that's Zegras. The Red Wings have decent prospect depth down the middle, but center is a good position to have too much talent and I think Yzerman wants an impact player in his first draft
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Everything about Botterill's draft history points to him taking either Caufield or Boldy here and I went for the ceiling over the floor with Caufield. He may be little, but his numbers speak for themselves and the game is moving in a direction that benefits his style. A progressive GM like Botterill will see that. I think a year - or two - in college will be great for Caufield and he could be another DeBrincat in no time
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-I don't love Dach, but I do think with time that he can be a good power forward at center and excel in front of the net. Holland just reached for a similar player in Michael Rasmussen a few years ago in Detroit. I think he makes a similar move in his first season in Edmonton and the Oilers add a much-needed young, affordable player who can start in the bottom-six and work his way up.
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The team that takes Podkolzin is a team that has the luxury of being patient. The Ducks have done well for themselves, especially up front, in recent drafts and there just isn't room for all of the pro-ready prospects they have on a roster filled with the immovable contracts of aging veterans. I personally think that the Ducks are in better shape than it may seem and I believe that they will look at Podkolzin as a high-ceiling gamble that they can take. With that said, I also strongly considered both Krebs and Broberg here. Defense is a big need, but I don't see th value.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-If he makes it here, I see little chance that the Canucks pass on Boldy. The team is desperate for an up-and-coming left wing and they get one here. I think that the Canucks could look to move back if the scenario were different, but not with Boldy on the board who likely wouldn't make it past Minnesota
11Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-I really believed that Philly would move this pick to upgrade their defense, but Fletcher had added Niskanen and Braun without having to do that. I still think they could move back, but if not I think they simply take the player they like most. With a pipeline overflowing with talented forward prospects and a goalie of the future already in place, I believe they go defense and take a potential long-term project in York over the pro-ready but unspectacular Broberg
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-In every mock that I've done, a forward who I feel is a top ten talent ends up falling to Minnesota. This time it's Krebs, whose versatility, intelligence, and leadership are really appealing. The torn Achilles not so much and Krebs could be more of a long-term project for a Wild team that could use some immediate help. However, it's hard to turn down a player who projects as a top-six two-way forward with captain material
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-There isn't much consensus between York, Broberg, Soderstrom, and even some other defensemen for most scouts. I like Broberg's pro readiness - he's a polished, well-rounded product - but I think the upside of York and Soderstrom is higher. However, Florida's defensive depth is just sad and they need help sooner rather than later. A righty would have been preferable, but I think Broberg is the pick nonetheless. It was close between he and Soderstrom though. I also considered Knight, but I think there are more pressing needs for the Panthers, who may very well solve their goalie problem by trading Reimer, letting Luongo retire, and signing Bobrovsky through most of the next decade
14Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-This is a tough one. I'm still on the fence about Kaliyev but if anyone can identify the upside in a young, raw, goal-scorer, John Chayka has a good chance. I also think the desert and a head coach like Tocchet can help to keep him focused. I think that Arizona goes forward regardless because their veteran and prospect defensive depth is good, but I also considered Newhook and Lavoie here
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Habs need another high-end defensive prospect and would likely be thrilled to add a player who some have ranked only behind Byram among defenders in this draft class. Soderstrom is a phenomenal skater and should be able to hold his own in the NHL. Hard not to pick Quebec native Lavoie here and it would not surprise me if they go in that direction
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-If the Avs had gone Byram at No. 4, this pick would be Newhook without question. But because they nabbed Cozens, I'll do D with Harley. He's actually a good fit as a lefty with size whose grown on me this season. If Harley and all of the other defensemen already selected were off the board, I think the Avs would look at Knight here with their second of two first-rounders. But to me Harley is too good of a fit.
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas is difficult to read because their system is still so shallow. They could really use a top defense prospect, especially after trading Erik Brannstrom, but there's no on left who is a value here. They also could really use a goalie of the future, but I don't know if they can afford to gamble on a goalie here. I say they go best player available which to me is Newhook. If they're content with their center depth, Lavoie would be next up.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-A lot of people seem to think Dallas will go forward or just best player available here. I don't. Even with some great young pieces on the blue line at the NHL level, the defense pipeline is a big concern, especially with Julius Honka's stalled development. I think the Stars go back to the Finnish defensemen well, but instead of picking Anttoni Honka and hoping he turns out better than his brother, I think they go with the safer, more defensive-minded Heinola. I actually like Heinola a lot and don't feel this is too much of a reach.
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsOttawa may be hurting at the NHL level, but their prospect depth is unparalleled. Perhaps the only weakness is at RW. If Lavoie, the top Q prospect, isn't going to end up in Montreal then Ottawa is the next-best spot. I've remained high on Lavoie all year and think he could be a steal here for the Sens. That is, if they pick here. I think they'll try to move up the draft board.
20Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-The Jets join the first-round party after re-acquiring their pick from the Rangers. I don't think they got a great return for Trouba, so they really have to nail this pick. If they wanted to go for another righty defenseman to replace Trouba, they could grab Honka or Seider, but I don't love the value. Instead, I'll give them the top player on my board in Suzuki. He only adds to a talented young roster and system in Winnipeg. If Suzuki pans out, as I expect he will, it makes the Trouba trade bearable.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Unfortunately for the Pens, this is the first time in my mocks that Suzuki hasn't fallen to them. I still think they go center to start grooming a 3C and eventual heir to Crosby or Malkin. Tomasino isn't quite Suzuki, but still a very good prospect who should grow a lot next season with more responsibility in Niagara
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsAfter landing Byram, the Kings play around with a few options here. I've seen a lot of people peg Knight as the pick here, but I really don't see goaltending as a concern with Quick, Campbell, and Petersen in place. At least not enough so to use a first round pick this year. I think LA has built up really strong center depth in the system but could use a winger. Dorofeyev is an intriguing talent that I may be reaching on slightly. However, I feel he would be willing to make the jump to play with Russian legend Ilya Kovalchuk, who could definitely teach him a thing or two. Dorofeyev is a high-ceiling project in my opinion.
23Logo of the New York Islanders-My earliest mock had the Islanders being the team to take a chance on Leason and I'm sticking with it. I think he fits their system well and Lamoriello is looking to get better ASAP. I think Leason can push for a bottom-six role in the NHL right away. He doesn't have tremendous upside, but he's a very safe pick
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-I think Brink probably deserves to be drafted higher than this, but this is where he fell and I doubt he would be upset about landing in Nashville. The Preds don't have any glaring needs, but their pipeline is pretty sparse and they could especially use a skilled winger. Brink fits the bill.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Caps would love for Brink to fall, but Hoglander is not much of a drop-off. A kid who has already played a full season in the pros in Sweden, Hoglander has proven that he has both the skill and grit to play with older, more experienced competition. The Caps have focused mostly on defense in recent drafts and would love to add a polished forward like Hoglander
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-This pick may seem strange, both because Seider is higher in mosy drafts and the Flames are deep on defense. However, most of the Flames depth is already at the NHL level and there isn't much in the pipeline. I think Seider is definitely a long-term project, but could pan out and is worth the risk here for a team that
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-It's hard to find many holes when it comes to the Lightning, but the defensive pipeline could be improved. At the same time, if any team can gamble on a boom-or-bust offensive defenseman like Honka, it's the Bolts
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Finally, Knight is off the board. Through all of my mocks, I have had a hard time putting Knight anywhere above this, not because of skill, but because of need. If he isn't taken by the Avalanche at No. 16, I think there is a strong chance that he falls this far unless other teams trade up to get him. Carolina is going for offense, but have been a little too honest about it. I think they would definitely take Knight given their question marks in goal and target offense with their early second-rounders.
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Ryan Johnson
The value wasn't there for the Ducks to address defense with their first pick, opting instead to gamble on Podkolzin. This time they go defense and go safe, taking reliable two-way defender Johnson, who has moved up draft boards considerably. Lassi Thomson and Matthew Robertson were also considered here. Additionally, the Ducks could opt to trade back here.
30Logo of the Boston Bruins-The Bruins are pretty well off in the NHL and in the pipeline, but they don't have many forwards with both size and skill. After getting pushed around in the Cup Final, a heavy hitter with scoring ability like Legare is appealing. The Bruins could trade back here and likely still get Legare with an early second-rounder
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis BluesI think Buffalo trades back here to land some more picks later on. But if they keep the pick, I think they'll target a big, defensive defenseman who could provide long-term balance with Dahlin and company. Vlasic is an old-school stay-at-home guy with new-school skating ability who could be a shutdown defender in the NHL.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Senators are absolutely loaded with talented young forwards. They're not doing so bad on defense either, but it's a bigger need. Robertson's size and aggressive game is a good balance with the offensive style of Chabot and Brannstrom on Ottawa's future blue line.
33Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
Patrik Puistola
The first team to pick three times, LA is tough to figure out here. By my logic, they got the best defenseman in the draft and have a pretty good supporting cast on D in the pipeline. Even if they wanted to address goalie, this isn't the spot to do it. So they go back to forward, where they have good depth - particularly down the middle - and just reached for offense and scoring in the first. Here they'll play it safer with a speedy play-maker in Puistola.
34Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Lassi Thomson
Sure, the Devils got Hughes, but they're not out of the woods yet. The pipeline is still week and they have to take the best player available here. For me, that's Thomson, an impressive defenseman who I considered a few times in the first round. Thomson on the right side and Ty Smith on the left give the Devils two blue chippers in the system to soon take over for an underwhelming defense corps
35Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit would have loved Byram early and didn't get him. They also watched six of the last nine picks be used on defensemen. Luckily, there's still one high-end guy left who is a good value here and that's Bjornfot. He's the last of the defensemen who I could see going in the first round.
36Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Buffalo SabresSpeaking of going in the first round, this mock works out wonderfully for the Hurricanes. They take Knight late in the first and then watch a rash of defensemen leave two high-end forwards for them. The first is small, but quick and creative winger Pelletier
37Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York RangersNext up is power forward Robertson, who adds a totally different dynamic to the pipeline. A great haul for Carolina so far with still one more pick left in the second.
38Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
Brayden Tracey
I planned to go defense here for Edmonton, but there just isn't a great value pick. Instead, the team adds another WHL product who is coming off a breakout season and has shown a nice combo of grit and work ethic with offensive instincts
39Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks are up again and even though they took a defenseman to close out round one, they go back to the blue line here since the pipeline is pretty thin. Koczak may not be more than a stay-at-home defenseman, but the righty plays a solid defensive game and feels like a safe pick
40Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver has a lot of promising defensemen already at the pro level, but not much further down the line. Kokkonen had a great rookie year in the Liiga, but still has work to do. Vancouver can give him time to develop.
41Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersThis is the Sharks' first pick of the draft, earlier than expected after the Justin Braun trade. They'll take the opportunity to grab a great value in McMichael. It's been quite a few picks since the last center and a team with a need down the middle could trade up into the late first or early second to nab McMichael, but in this scenario the Sharks would be pretty happy
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Minnesota's system leaves something to be desired and they could look at defense here. I just don't see the value here. The team has a number of centers on the way and most of them left shots. A true right winger makes sense here and I'm really high on Cajkovic. I think this is a great pick for the Wild.
43Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago's system is deep at pretty much every position. I think they just go best player available, which for me is Poulin. I think he'll grow out of the inconsistency and turn into a pretty good player.
44Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Florida PanthersOttawa is similarly all set at every position in their pipeline. Rees is near the top of my board and an OHL standout that the Sens can keep a close eye on. As likely as anyone to be picked here
45Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-I think the Yotes double up on forwards to help out a system that lacks elite skill down the line. Mastrosimone is a safe pick, but will take some time to reach the NHL level.
46Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Another team with a pretty well-rounded system, I think Montreal goes with the best forward available after going defense in round one. For me that's Afanasyev, who I could easily see going higher than this
47Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Mads Sogaard
The second goalie is off the board, as the Avs land a top player at forward, defense, and goal. Sogaard is a monster in net and I would be shocked if on size and positioning alone he does't make it to the NHL
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
Zac Jones
Vegas needs defense pretty badly. Jones is headed to UMass to replace Cale Makar and if he's even half as successful, this is a great pick for the Knights.
49Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas StarsWith all of the talented young forwards in New York's pipeline, they could use an enforcer down the road. Foote is far more than just that, but his physicality could endear him to teammates. I actually think Foote could develop into a possible middle-six power forward.
50Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
Jordan Spence
The Habs are up again and again they could go anywhere. I'll give them a familiar style of offensive defenseman from the QMJHL that could become a fan favorite in Montreal
51Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-The Jets went best player available in round one and nabbed Ryan Suzuki. They fill a more specific need this time around with physical righty defenseman Helleson. Helleson didn't stand out as much for the USNTDP, but I think he'll be a great pro.
52Logo of the Florida PanthersLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Hunter Jones
I actually have Jones ranked as my fourth goalie, but Florida's need is likely more down the line and the younger, more mold-able Jones is a better fit than the older Kochetkov
53Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-The Leafs have very little high-end forward talent in the pipeline. Adding Beecher, who could be an excellent two-way third line center, is a nice get for a team making their first pick in the 50s
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
Pyotr Kochetkov
The third goalie of the round goes to Detroit. That may not be realistic, but I do think Yzerman and company need another goalie in the system and Kochetkov is a solid prospect who won't be there for Detroit in later rounds
55Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Nashville Predators
Shane Pinto
The Devils just need to add talent where they can. Pinto is well-rounded and versatile.
56Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Michael Teply
After going small and quick in the first round, the Caps go with another forward, but big and strong with the skilled Teply.
57Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary Flames
Jayden Struble
Struble is an athletic specimen and, while raw, should become a good to great defenseman. The Isles can gamble on him as a high-upside project.
58Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Rangers have gone to the USNTDP well before. Warren is a solid defenseman, especially as New York's third pick in this draft
59Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
Braden Doyle
After a goalie and two forwards, Carolina goes defense here. Doyle is very underrated. I'm okay with the value here.
60Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the San Jose SharksThe Red Wings as an organization have had great luck in Sweden. Why not try again, especially with another Holmstrom?
61Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Boston BruinsWill the Devils actually make four picks in the first two rounds? I think more likely they package picks to move up. But if they stay here I think Farinacci is a great gamble. Good offensive instincts and the makings of a power play whiz. Needs to round out his game in college.
62Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues pick for the first time at 62, but I'm sure they wouldn't have it any other way. Still, making an impact here is key. I like Donovan more than others. I don't think he's a center in the pros, but a big, power winger at this point in the draft is a nice get
Jun. 18, 2019 at 9:40 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Great draft and explanations! Must've taken a lot of work.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:58 a.m.
Appreciate all of the explanations I only did one round of them and it took me forever.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll