SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2020 Mock Draft - 1st round with explanations

2020 Mock Draft - 1st round with explanations

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Pazz29
Published: Sep. 2, 2020 at 12:27 p.m.
Description
This is my take on how the draft could shake out. I did a little bit of research on each teams needs.

Feel free to comment if you think I picked the wrong guy for your team.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New York Rangers-
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit needs a C behind Larkin. I'm a believer that if a team has a choice between a center and a winger, take the center. They can always be converted to the wing. Perfetti gives Detroit some insurance if Veleno doesn't cut it at C.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Another player for Ottawa to throw into the mix to be a top 6 center. I think Rossi is more likely to wind up on the wing, but gives Ottawa another player who they can easily convert to a winger if it's not working out at center.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I think this is an easy decision for Anaheim. They have no top defensive prospects. They get lucky here and take Drysdale.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-New Jersey already has a solid 1-2 punch down the middle for years to come. They could definitely use some help on the blue line, but no one worth quite reaching for at this point. They take the BPA here and that's a solid pick up in Raymond who can be paired with Hischier or Hughes for years.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo really wants to make sure they have 2C for the future with uncertainty of Cozens being able to handle the center position. Taking Lundell gives Buffalo the option to move Cozens to the wing.
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Minnesota wanted to take Lundell here, but get unlucky and he's not available. They settle for taking the BPA.
10Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Winnipeg takes Quinn. Another team that would have liked to take a center but didn't want to reach. They take who they think is the BPA and opens up some options for them as they can entertain moving Ehlers or Laine to help address their need a center and RD.
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville loves drafting solid defensive prospects. Being a little weak on the left side in the depth charts, they add a top piece for the future.
12Logo of the Florida Panthers-Another case of a team missing out on the player they wanted to draft. Florida would be a great landing spot for Sanderson, but just miss out on him. They take who they think is the BPA who isn't Askarov.
13Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsNedeljkovic seems to have fallen out of favour in Carolina. I think Carolina takes Askarov here. They will give Nedeljkovic another shot. If he falters, they have his replacement. If he succeeds, it gives them a large trade piece to help improve their forward group.
14Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-A goal scorer who they will be able to imploy on the wing of either McDavid or Draisaitl. Just makes too much sense for them.
15Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsToronto's pick - Schneider fits well into what Toronto needs. I do not believe Toronto takes him at 15th overall. I think they will trade back in the draft to around 20th overall (give or take a spot or 2) and take Schneider there. But for this purpose, I will leave their pick at 15th and have them select Schneider still.
16Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Back to my philosophy that teams should take a C over a W. Habs take Zary and potentially move him to LW. Gives them options again if any of the C prospects don't quite cut it down the middle.
17Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago looks to be set down the middle for the next few years with Toews, Dach, and Strome. Adding another scoring winger just makes sense for them. Also too much of a reach to add a LD that they also need to look to add.
18Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesWith their first pick they took the BPA. WIth their second pick, they are going to address an area of need at RD.
19Logo of the Calgary Flames-Bit of a work in progress when it comes to his skating, but think Calgary can overlook that to see what he brings offensively to the table.
20Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksNJ has 3 picks in the top 20. When you have that many picks in the first round, you can take a gamble on one of your picks. I think they take a chance on Lapierre and his injury concerns. If it pans out, this pick could be a huge draft steal down the road.
21Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersOttawa takes the BPA
22Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus could definitely add a defender to their prospect pool but don't want to reach with their pick. They take Bourque here who will battle with Foudy for the 2nd line C position. The loser gets moved to the wing.
23Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesI believe the Rangers would be targeting Bourque here as they want to address their 2C spot. They'll end up taking a chance on Brisson to hopefully develop into the 2C role.
24Logo of the Dallas Stars-Dallas doesn't want to get burned by the Russian factor again, so they take the best forward available not from Russia.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-Washington is the opposite of Dallas and has had some luck with their Russians. They take Amirov who falls into their laps.
26Logo of the St. Louis Blues-St. Louis has solid depth up front. Look to add a big offensive defenseman that can be a game changer if they can work on his defensive mistakes.
27Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsTook a defender with their first pick, now they look to take the BPA at forward.
28Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Looking to add to the right side of their forward group. Foerster looks to be a solid offensive piece that a few teams would be looking to add around this point of the draft.
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Hard to say who Vegas will target here. Could very well go BPA, but I think they should target someone like Cormier who has a solid 2-way style of game from the blue line.
30Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningSan Jose is lacking depth all through their system. Really not sure who they would take here, but if I was them, I'd be looking at Reichel.
31Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado is set on the blue line for the next few years, no need to add there. They look to add another forward who could be a top winger.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
Nick
Habs won’t skip on Jarvis for Zary imo
Pazz29 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: DriveFor25
Habs won’t skip on Jarvis for Zary imo

I agree. I think it's pretty universal that Jarvis is considered a better prospect than Zary.
Pazz29 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll