SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Kotkanemo's 2020 NHL Mock Draft

Kotkanemo's 2020 NHL Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: alex74
Published: Oct. 2, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
Description
Welcome to my final 2020 NHL Mock Draft through the first two rounds including detailed scouting reports for the first round picks. I used team needs, BPA (A mix of the consensus and my own rankings), the player's current play level, and the player's future NHL potential to make my selections. FYI these aren't my rankings, just a prediction of how the draft might go, if you want to see my final TOP-93 rankings, check out my pinned tweet on Twitter at @Kotkanemo.
Enjoy the read and leave your thoughts!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New York Rangers-As bad as the Rangers need a C, they shouldn't lose too much sleep over this pick. They’ll select the consensus #1 pick in left winger Alexis Lafrenière. A dominant and NHL ready franchise player, Lafrenière possesses all-around elite skill that should translate phenomenally to the big leagues. His tool box checks all the boxes you’d want, and to add to his incredible talent, Laf also doesn’t shy away one bit from physical play, it’s just another strength of his. He’ll make the Rangers feel very lucky and happy, regardless if he doesn’t fill a need, you just can’t pass up on this guy after how he’s torn up the Q and the international stage. There is no risk in him whatsoever and you just know you’ll be getting a future superstar out of him. He should be a mainstay in the top 6 right away as his game is very polished and NHL ready. I expect him to be a big Calder nominee in what I predict to be a dominant rookie season.
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-This pick is a bit harder to predict. I’ve seen lots of smoke on Twitter that the Kings prefer Stützle at #2, but I’m not sure I buy it. I personally see Byfield as the 2nd best player of the draft, and ultimately, I think LA goes for him. They already have a young plethora of centermen, so Stützle might make sense, but outside of Turcotte, none are too highly touted to be sure-shot Top-6 pivots. Maybe Vilardi, but injuries are definitely a concern with him. Anyway, we all know Cs are harder to acquire than a winger, and the best way to build them up is through the draft and that’s exactly what LA will be doing here. Not to mention, the growth potential in Byfield is massive, 5 years from now, he very well could look like a better player than Lafrenière. The 6’5 centerman was less than a month away from being a 2021 draft eligible, something to consider when harshly judging his U20 performances. A year from now, when he’s almost Lafrenière’s age today, he might be even more dominant than he was, begging the question if he is in fact #1 worthy. If Lafrenière wasn’t as polished, I definitely think it would be a bigger conversation. He still nearly put up almost 2 points per game on an average Sudbury team, very impressive for a player considered to be quite raw. His skating is amazingly impressive for his size, as is his skillset, which is one of the most tantalizing in the entire draft and he can still put it together even better. It’s not a reach to say that he can have a similar impact to Malkin down the road, as they play a very similar game. I don’t think he’s ready to step in the NHL right away, but in a 2021-22, he’s probably a Calder nominee too. A future top line star center, no doubt in my mind. Definite superstar upside.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksThanks to Dorion, this is the easiest pick to make. The Sens’ GM himself said that the Kings will make the decision for them, implying that they’ll take whoever is available out of Byfield/Stützle. Stützle is a dynamic winger who flies around the ice and owns impressive offensive awareness. A line driver, Tim is a natural center who might find a spot down the middle in the NHL if that’s what the team drafting him wants out of him. I think he’d handle it well, but would likely excel on the left wing. His playmaking is arguably the best of the crop, as he owns elite vision and provides crisp passes to his teammates. He has excellent hands, but he tends to hold onto the puck for too long. A pass-first player, his goal scoring isn’t a big strength of his, still decent, but he can work on it. He’s a guy who makes his linesmates better, something the Sens will love out of him. The confidence he brings onto the ice seems almost contagious, a leader on the ice, he’s definitely a player who will put butts in the seats of the Canadian Tire Centre. I don’t necessarily believe that he should be in the same conversation as Byfield, but he’d still be a good pick at #3. I don’t believe he’s NHL ready either, he can still round out his game, but when he makes it, I think he’ll be a top line star player for years to come.
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-This pick is another one with lots of smoke behind it, but one that I think has a good chance of happening. There are lots of options that I considered for this pick, some, to me at least, that make a bit more sense. However, seeing many people with sources make this connection, I’m trying to keep it realistic, and it is still an excellent fit, so Perfetti to Detroit it is. Cole Perfetti is among the top dual-threat players of the draft, and although he lacks ideal size, he more than makes up for it with his outworldly hockey IQ and decent compete. Considered to be a great interview as well due to his mature character, it’s not crazy for a team to fall in love with him and pick him as early as #4. He’s the type of player that dictates the play, the type of player a team like Detroit should look on building around. His offensive prowess is undeniable, he can step up and take over with ease. The one thing that initially made me iffy with this pick, is that I believe a team like Detroit should build down the middle, or the blue line, hell even from the net on out. But although I project Perfetti as a LW, word is that his skating has drastically improved in the off-season, and if that’s true, I believe he can stick to his natural position at C for the rest of his career. Playing in Michigan makes all the more sense, but if there’s one GM that we can’t be too sure of, it’s Stevie Y. Anyways, Perfetti will likely be a top-line player regardless of what position he plays, his versatility is an asset.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Ottawa Senators select the UND committed defenseman, Jake Sanderson with their second Top-5 pick. Sanderson is a steady two-way left-handed defenseman, the type that Ottawa needs to solidify their blue line down the stretch. Chabot being their top LHD, they do have Brannström in the pipeline who projects to be a Top-4 defenseman, but Erik seems to be more comfortable on the right side, something to note when picking Sanderson over Drysdale here. With NHL bloodlines and as a future University of North Dakota player, Ottawa will surely appreciate that. I don’t think he’s a Top-5 player in the draft, but we see D going earlier than they’re supposed to all the time, this being another case of that. Still, he is arguably a Top-10 talent. Sanderson was basically the cornerstone player for the NTDP team in his draft year. He had a quiet first half, still played steady D and displaying his high defensive awareness, but in the second half, he really took off offensively, a crazy good progression teams will love to see, good enough for him to rise in draft boards all the way up to the top-5, especially for a July born draft eligible. He might not even make it to #5, as he’d be a player Detroit could fall in love with too. The most complete blue-liner of the crop, his all around play will be very beneficial to the team who drafts him, he will no doubt eat up big minutes, his upside is harder to project. A definite reliable Top-4 defenseman, but another breakout year offensively with UND or Belleville, whenever that might be, could have him shoot up to top-pair potential.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Anaheim Ducks are thrilled to select right-handed defenseman, Jamie Drysdale. With Manson being their only notable RHD, this is a no-brainer. Drysdale is a play-driving blue-liner who is praised for his phenomenal skating and his high end hockey sense. A near point per game player on a weak Erie team, Drysdale played his way into a spot on Canada’s U20 roster, where he looked great. His playmaking ability is nothing short of dangerous, as he can turn a nothing play into something real quick. His transitioning is the best of the crop. He has game takeover ability and should be dominant on both ends of the ice, on 5v5 and on special teams. His defensive play has some lapses, but he is mostly solid, just don’t expect a stay at home physical presence out of him, as he uses his skating, stick, and brain to take on those responsibilities. With Anaheim’s lack of defensive depth, especially on the right side, Drysdale will be a huge help to them down the line, especially with his puck-moving skills. His upside is as high as Sanderson’s floor is. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s among the premier blue-liners of the league, maybe in Norris conversation if all goes well with his development.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-At #7, the New Jersey Devils steal right winger, Lucas Raymond. Raymond is not just my favourite player of the crop, but also a clear top-3 prospect in my eyes. Personally, I even have him in the same conversation with Byfield. His production was underwhelming in his draft year, which will probably lead to him falling in NJ’s laps here, but don’t be mistaken, that was only due to his usage and TOI. With the short sample we’ve seen out of him in the 2020-21 season so far, he’s on track to prove his doubters wrong, I expect an Elias Pettersson-esque year out of him. Raymond is just an absolutely electric player, he’s elite at everything he does. One of, if not, the best skating forward of the draft, he’s definitely among the top dual-threat players of the draft tool. He constantly plays at a high speed with explosiveness. His hockey IQ is probably the highest in the draft. His hands are amazing and have ankle-breaking ability. His two-way game is great too for a winger for his style. He also isn’t afraid to get into the dirty areas and drive to the net, which is all the more impressive for a player of his size. Like I said, an all-around elite talent. Hot take, but I believe he has the highest superstar upside of anyone in the draft, including Lafrenière, and if his development continues to go well, watch out! Whichever team lands him will be ecstatic down the line. NJ here grabs a future all-star who will complement their top-2 Cs for years to come. A potential Calder nominee in his rookie season.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-The Buffalo Sabres select Finnish centerman, Anton Lundell at pick number 8. The last two times the Sabres used a Top-10 pick on a higher upside player over safer bets, it didn’t turn out too well (A.Nylander & C. Mittelstadt). Seems like they learned something out of that, as in 2019, they selected Dylan Cozens over the likes of Trevor Zegras, Cole Caufield, Alex Newhook, etc. I personally don’t see much risk associated to Marco Rossi, but with the Sabres’ desperate need for a long-term 2C, his size might steer Buffalo away, so I’ll have them follow the new theme. Now, back to the player. To most, Lundell is a safe, high-floor player. But personally, I see great potential in him. I have no doubt that he’ll at least be a Top-6 C in the National Hockey League, so it’s a money pick in the Sabres’ eyes. Lundell is a big cerebral two-way pivot who owns an excellent shot and great playmaking ability. His bread and butter is his defensive play, as he is very mature on the ice for his age, so good that he might be in Selke talks later on in his career. He plays a simple game, he won’t wow you often, but he does possess soft hands in tight. I don’t think he needs to be dynamic, as he’s effective on both ends of the ice regardless, sitting at 0.64 points per game in the Liiga as a draft eligible is impressive. He seems to be a locker room leader too, donning an “A” in a men’s league at 18 years old. His skating is a little awkward but it gets the job done, it’s probably the biggest thing along with his lack of dynamic play holding him back from being a top-5 pick, he can look like a real 1C if he works on it. Overall, Eichel-Lundell is a perfect 1-2 punch, so Buffalo should be thrilled with this selection years from now. A potential Selke candidate who’s an all around presence? Lundell is a coach’s dream.
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Minnesota Wild run to the online podium? LOL and steal C Marco Rossi with the 9th overall pick. Yes, I said steal. Rossi is my 2nd favourite player of the draft and my 4th ranked player, in the same 4-6 tier as Stützle and Perfetti. If he were two or three inches taller, I bet he would’ve gone Top-3, if not Top-2 with the season he had, but standing at 5’9 as a pivot, he drops right into the Wild’s laps. He might be short, but boy is he strong and stocky, Rossi’s low center of gravity makes it almost impossible to knock the puck off him, he has very impressive lower body strength, reminiscent of Sidney Crosby. Rossi is a great skater who is dangerous in all three zones. One of the premier playmakers of the draft, he’s another one of those players who just elevates his linesmates’ play. He has the engine of a horse and cheetah-fast hands. He’s not afraid, in fact, he actually loves to get in dirty areas and compete in 1v1 battles. His hockey IQ is among the top of the class. Some question whether or not he’ll stick down the middle in the NHL, there is no question for me that he will. His play is that of a prototypical top C, with an added edge if anything, his face off skills are also good as he sits at 58.5 winning % in the OHL. I didn’t even mention that he led his league in points with 120 points in 56 games. I’ve thought of him going 4th or 5th overall, but his size will likely have him drop knowing NHL teams. Anyways, the Austrian pivot should be Minnesota’s top C that they desperately need, possessing elite star potential. I can even see him stepping in as soon as next season.
10Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-With the 10th overall pick, the Winnipeg Jets select sniper Alexander Holtz. Some of you might be scratching your heads here as the Jets’ glaring weaknesses are on the blue-line and down the middle, but with Patrik Laine appearing to be heavily shopped, they’ll be able to fill those needs through that trade. That’s another reason why this selection makes sense, as his game is oftentimes compared to Laine’s, Holtz can come in as his replacement. Holtz is a natural goal-scorer who possesses an elite shot, probably the best range in a shot in any player I’ve tracked throughout the last few years. That part of his game will definitely translate, but although he has the best shot in the draft, I don’t necessarily love his scoring attempts in high-danger areas, something he should work on to maximize his production when he steps in the big leagues. Holtz also possesses decent vision, 7 assists in 35 games is not too shabby in the SHL for a 17-18 year old sniper. I love how he plays hard and hustles, something you don’t see too often in most snipers. That being said, it’s not crazy to call him a one-trick pony, although his skills outside of scoring goals are good, I wouldn’t say they’re on par with the forwards taken ahead and a few taken later, his skating and decision making need some work too, that being said, as long as he can consistently score 30+ a year and goal scoring is a premium in the NHL, which I totally believe he can, he’ll be good value at #10. He doesn’t need to drive line on a team with top-6 forwards like Winnipeg, so he should fit in great, even if Laine isn’t moved. I expect one more year in Sweden before he makes the jump and start sniping in the big leagues. He also makes sense for NJ or Anaheim too as he could be the finisher for their young talent Cs in Hughes/Zegras.
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-The Nashville Predators select their goalie of the future at #11 in Yaroslav Askarov. The right-handed catcher’s game is oftentimes compared to former 5th overall pick, Carey Price, and if a team likes him as much as Montreal liked Carey, don’t be surprised to see him go as high as him either. Askarov is a big and athletic, mostly stand-up goalie who plays a calm game, analyzing the ice like a hawk and moving in time to make insane saves look easy to him. Excluding the U20s, Askarov has been great on the international stage and phenomenal back home in Russia, regardless of the league he played in. In fact, he only elevated his game when facing tougher competition, and has continued to do so in a short 3 game sample so far in the 2020-21 KHL season, where he posted outworldly numbers. With Rinne on his way out at 37 and Saros not looking like an above average 60+ game starter, Askarov could be a piece to build around as this team starts to age out.
12Logo of the Florida Panthers-Kaiden Guhle is the Panthers’ pick at #12. The first reach so far, in my opinion at least, it’s not uncommon for this to happen due to the lack of quality defensemen in the draft. For example, five defensemen went in the Top-15 last year when Byram was the only one labeled as a blue-chip, I expect a similar outcome this year. Personally, I don’t see a Top-20 prospect in Guhle, but the fit just makes too much sense, especially when considering Matheson didn’t work out the way the organization thought he would. Plus, he’s ranked 14th on McKenzie’s list so that must mean something. Florida is extremely thin on D, so adding someone like Guhle through the draft is pretty important, as he can develop into a solidifying piece on that blue line, unfortunately they’ll have to reach though. He’s a huge and pretty smooth-skating defenseman who plays a very solid defensive game and chips in offensively at times with small passes, not enough to QB a power play, however, his shot is impressive. He has good hockey sense and plays a very imposing physical game, his presence is felt in that aspect every single game. Where he struggles mightily though is his transition game, it’s brutal to say the least as he’s not a good puck carrier at all, whether it’s entries or exits. Measuring 6’3 and only weighing in at 185 pounds, Guhle has lots of room to grow, a positive to take out of this pick, but he certainly should not be rushed to the NHL. If all goes well, he can develop into a 2nd pairing defenseman if paired with a solid puck mover.
13Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsThe Carolina Hurricanes select hard-working goal-scorer Jack Quinn with the 13th overall pick. With Aho and Svechnikov being their only 20+ goal guys, this makes perfect sense for the Canes. Quinn had 52 goals in 62 games for the 67s, and contrary to a lot of casuals’ belief, he was not carried by teammate Marco Rossi to do so. That many pucks in the back of the net is quite rare for a draft eligible OHLer and he deserves all the credit. Quinn came out of nowhere this year, his progression was fantastic, he went from sitting at half a point per game in his D-1 year to exploding to 89 points in 62 games in his draft year. That’s certainly something teams would love, his late birth date shouldn't be a concern either, as there was nothing flukey about his season. Holtz may have the best shot, but personally, Quinn is the best goal-scorer. He can score from anywhere, and makes a living getting those dirty goals thanks to his fast hands in high danger areas. Unlike Holtz, Quinn makes offense for himself and can develop into a line driver if his progression follows the curve. Outside of his bread and butter of scoring goals, Quinn is a strong skater who forechecks and backchecks hard, good enough to label him as a two-way forward. His playmaking is also a very underrated aspect of his game as he possesses good vision and passing. His IQ is on display every shift, rarely turning pucks over and utilizing his teammates really well. Quinn should be a super effective top-6 forward and I can envision him going Top-10 if a team really loves him.
14Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-With the 14th overall pick, the Edmonton Oilers select right wing/centerman Dawson Mercer out of the QMJHL. Mercer is another coach’s dream who plays in all situations, owns a high motor, and possesses high character. Mercer is an absolute beast on the puck, when he has it, good luck getting it. When he doesn’t, good luck keeping it. His high energy is definitely something his team will appreciate, it allows him to be clutch on both ends of the ice. He’s a cerebral player who is super deceptive all around the ice, but especially offensively where he meshes well with practically anyone he plays with. His hands are very soft and he has a certain kind of finesse with the puck, he has no issue winning 1 on 1 battles. His playmaking is excellent as he delivers crips tape to tape passes that can make an enforcer look like a perennial goal scorer in the Q. He has an underrated quick shot, but he can work on the power, he’s especially good at scoring close to the net though. He is a very patient player who doesn’t force plays that aren’t there, but makes the most of his opportunities. He is extremely strong on the forecheck and backcheck and supports it all with his physicality. He moves well and is a decent skater, his lower body strength helps him big time. There are virtually no holes in his game, he can only get better, the question is how much better? He still has room to grow physically, but with an already super polished game, his upside remains to be the only question up in the air. He is reported to be a great interview, so he should become an excellent presence for Edmonton. Regardless, it’s an excellent pick at 14 and possibly regarded as BPA to some as he’s ranked 13th on Bob’s list. The Oilers will welcome his playing style which should complement the likes of McDavid & Co. greatly. I expect a Top-6 forward out of him who does it all.
15Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsRight-handed defenseman Braden Schneider is Toronto’s pick at 15th overall. In the same boat as Guhle, the other coveted WHL defender is also a reach in my opinion, an even bigger one than Kaiden, but less painful considering Florida passed on the two forwards to follow their selection. Although I have him ranked in the mid 40s, he’s the type of defenseman the Leafs desperately need to add, and being ranked 17th on Bob’s list, it isn’t a pick that would be criticized by the masses. Still, his biggest fan wouldn’t call this a home run pick. Coming in at 6’2 and 220 pounds already, Braden doesn’t have much growing potential, I also think this physical edge is the main reason why he did as good as he did against junior competition as his subpar offensive skills and questionable hockey sense at times leave much to be desired. For a defensive defenseman, IQ is what I look for the most when ranking them and I’m not too impressed with Schneider’s. Same issues in transition as Guhle. His shot isn’t even all that impressive. Now that the not so good parts of his game are out of the way, I’ll go on with the good and what makes him a logical fit for the Leafs. Schneider has a great breakout pass, something that the team’s top forwards can take off with. He’s extremely physical and skates pretty well so that helps him get around, oftentimes to crush his opponents with his in your face style. He’s very strong and has the upper hand when it comes to one on one board battles. He’s solid in his own end and uses his stick pretty well to cut off passing lanes. He’s fantastic at clearing the crease. With offensive defensemen in Rielly and Sandin on their left side, Schneider would be a good complement to them and with their help, he should become a shutdown replacement 2nd pair defenseman.
16Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Montreal Canadiens select Russian left winger Rodion Amirov at #16. Amirov is my 3rd favourite and 9th ranked player of the crop. With Kotkaniemi and Suzuki securing the center ice position, the Habs lack a true play driving winger, and that is exactly what they get in Rodion Amirov. Playing a big number of games in the KHL in your draft year is always an impressive feat, but to look like you belong is a bigger one. Yes, his numbers in that league are underwhelming, but his usage, slim frame, and confidence are to blame, KHL coaches aren’t exactly known to be patient with young players and allow them to play their games as they would usually do, one or two mistakes can lead to a demotion. To get a better idea of what he can do, I took closer looks of him dominating the MHL and holding his own in the VHL. In the short sample so far in the 2020-21 season, he sits at 3 goals and 2 assists in 8 games with his KHL team and looks phenomenal doing so. Rodion is a beautiful skater, not a speed demon, but his technical skating skills are among the best. He’s a fast thinker and possesses high hockey IQ, always being in a good position to maximize his skillset and make an impact. When the puck is on his stick, it’s almost impossible to knock it off him as he is an incredible puck handler, and paired with his skating, his transition game is incredible. He has elite vision and makes excellent passes that facilitate play for his linesmates. He has a quick and deceptive shot that can fool goalies and when he’s not sniping, his willingness to drive the net is impressive considering his frame. He’s always thinking 2 steps ahead and putting himself in a position where the puck practically follows him. He uses his smarts in all 3 zones and recovers pucks with his skating and positioning that helps him intercept passes and he absolutely takes off with his explosiveness once he does. With his complete game and high end skill already apparent, all he needs is to bulk up his lanky 6’1 frame and build on his new found confidence and coach's trust to become a lethal player in the next level, likely in the Top-6 and potentially a top liner.
17Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-With the 17th overall pick, the Chicago Blackhawks select right wing/center Seth Jarvis out of Portland. Like Quinn, Jarvis’ progression was also phenomenal, good enough to have him second in scoring in the WHL. Jarvis is an undersized forward who more than makes up for it with his excellent skating and hockey sense. He’s a tenacious dual-threat player who elevates his linesmates’ play. A natural playmaker, Jarvis has elite vision and patience with the puck and finds teammates in areas you wouldn’t think of to set them up. And with 42 goals on the season, Jarvis displays an excellent arsenal of shots that any goalie needs to respect. He plays an aggressive game in all three zones and is constantly chasing after the puck. His tenacity serves him well in the defensive zone, where he can hold his own and cause problems for the opposing team’s forwards. He does tend to get overpowered sometimes due to being undersized at 5’9, but with added muscles to his frame, he should be good. Jarvis can go much higher as his progression curve was something else, getting 63 points in his last 26 games. Due to his size and play style, I primarily view him as a winger, but I believe he’d be able to come in as a C from time to time. He’s clearly superior to his peers, the question remains if his skills will properly translate, and if they do, look out, as he should be a very productive Top-6 forward, someone the top dogs on the Hawks will really appreciate. He can be a comparable presence to what Yamamoto has been for the Oilers so far, looking like a steal like he has. I can see him go as high as 10th even.
18Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesWith their second 1st round pick, the Devils select Connor Zary. I like this connection since the Devils’ new assistant coach, Mark Recchi, is a co-owner of the Kamloops Blazers, so he might put in a good word for him. Not only that, but Zary’s high energy play and versatility to play all forward positions would also be welcomed to the Devils. A safe bet to be a future middle-6 player, potentially their future 3C, the Devils keep it safe at #18 so they can take a gamble at #20. Anyways, Zary is a well rounded all-situations player who lives in the dirty areas of the ice, he constantly wants the puck and he’s probably the most driven player of the crop. He possesses very good speed and his switch is always turned on. Offensively, he loves being a net-front presence, and when his team isn’t controlling play, he constantly digs for the puck by giving high pressure on his opponents. He has great vision and passing skills, along with a hard shot that he loves to let fly. Zary provides a presence in all 3 zones and does all the little things to allow his team to win. His upside isn’t too high, as his skills aren’t particularly elite, but the value he’ll provide his future team will be huge, as he brings a buzzing energy onto the ice and a never give up attitude, something NHL teams appreciate greatly.
19Logo of the Calgary Flames-The Calgary Flames select centerman Mavrik Bourque with the 19th overall pick. Bourque is a right shot pivot who was a top player in the QMJHL this season, good for 71 points in 49 games with the Shawinigan Cataractes, the team where he newly was named captain. The 3rd overall pick in the QMJHL is poised to be a first round pick in his NHL draft year as his high skill play is definitely something NHL teams will covet and it isn’t crazy to project him as a Top-6 C. Bourque plays a natural offensive game, yet is very reliable in his own end. He is a very good playmaker, the kid can just absolutely dish it, he’s sure to get lots of apples when he makes it thanks to his vision. Standing at only 5’10, Bourque more than makes up for it with his absolutely elite hockey sense and shiftiness, along with his willingness to play as any other 6+ foot centerman would. He’s a very creative player and shows great flashes of it. His goal-scoring ability is just as good too, as he potted 54 goals over the last two seasons in 113 games. His strong shot can go in from a distance and he uses his soft hands to finish close to the net. He’s strong on the puck considering his size, but it’s an area that he will improve on. He always thinks the game a step ahead and it pays off huge. To me, there isn’t a big risk in Bourque’s game, he seems like a lock to make the NHL. His game isn’t elite in one area but great in all, with some more development, we could start seeing some parts of his game elevate as he definitely has the smarts to work on it. I expect a breakout year next season and with more time to work on his game in the offseason, Bourque can look real good. Calgary’s depth upfront isn’t too impressive, so adding a player like Bourque who projects as a great 2C is an excellent pick. He joins Jakob Pelletier as the team’s second player in a row drafted from the Q with their 1st round pick.
20Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksWith their third 1st round pick at #20, the Devils pick up the big left-handed Swedish defenseman, William Wallinder. When taking Zary, I explained that they played it safe with that pick to take a gamble with the next one, here’s why. Fitzgerald himself said that they’re looking for size and hardness on the back end with the ability to move pucks, and Wallinder is just that standing at 6’4. He also specified a non-flashy presence who can lock down the blue-line, he also fits the bill there. Wallinder is a project in terms of his offensive game, but the raw tools are there, and for a team with 3 first round picks, NJ can certainly bet on those tools. For such a big player, Wallinder skates like the wind, so that combination alone can get him in the 1st round. He also possesses a heavy variety of shots that he loves to let fly when joining the rush, which will only get better when he puts on some more muscle. He has good passing ability, but his vision is a little shortsighted. His hands are good, but his decision making with the puck isn’t always the best as he often holds it on for too long. He’s a good puck carrier, but he needs to learn to play to his strengths and not overdo it by keeping it simple. Defensively though, Wallinder is quite solid, he’s very poised and loves to show who’s boss in his own zone. He has an active stick with decent positioning at most times, and he finishes it off with hard checks. Granted, his hockey IQ isn’t a strength of his. Some added urgency to his game would be beneficial too. Being as tall as he is and only weighing in at 190 pounds, the room to grow in Wallinder is massive, but the team drafting him needs to be patient. If he rounds out his offensive game, which playing with men can allow him to do so, Wallinder can be a rock solid two-way Top-4 minute munching defenseman, exactly the type Fitzgerald is looking for. There is a lot of risk associated with this pick, but with proper development, he can be good value at this spot.
21Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-CBJ select versatile forward Dylan Holloway out of the University of Wisconsin at #21. It’s not common for a draft eligible to play in the NCAA, but Holloway did just that and did not look out of place. Holloway is a safe bet to make the NHL, as the young power forward excels in all areas and owns great physical prowess as an athlete. He had a rough first half that may have lowered his draft stock compared to his D-1 season, but he adapted and absolutely took off on a weak Wisconsin team in the second half, something teams who love risers can appreciate, and potentially take a swing on him much earlier. Holloway plays a pretty complete game, backed by his strong, explosive skating. He does all the dirty work and opens up space, but he possesses a lot of finesse skill himself too. He has great hands, a heavy shot, and good playmaking ability. His hockey sense isn’t the best, but he isn’t one to make too many mistakes, he just plays a no-nonsense game with a high compete to help his team win. His underwhelming numbers might be a turn-off, but his situation must be better understood and so shall his progression in the second half. At this point of the draft, if you can land a serviceable NHLer, it’s a good pick. Holloway has a shot to be more than that, his sophomore season will be more telling. I project him as a middle-6 LW at the moment who can play down the middle in a pich, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in a Top-6 in the near future either.
22Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesWith their second 1st round pick, the New York Rangers take a gamble on C Hendrix Lapierre. To some, Lapierre would’ve been a Top-10 lock if it weren’t for his injuries and who would be a money pick at this point, for others, they wouldn’t touch him until day 2. His talent is undeniable, he’s usually the puck carrier on his lines and the elite passer. He’s in consideration of a top-3 playmaker for the draft, he is just too good at distributing the puck. His IQ is also next level, thinking the game similarly to how I’ve described Bourque and Amirov. He separates himself offensively, with the “it” factor, his skill is extremely high and he can simply dominate when his game is on, and it more often is. His creativity is among the best, making nothing plays into something. He is also a great skater, both in terms of speed and in technicalities. He’s very solid defensively too, using his skating, stick, and especially high IQ to get it done. His shot isn’t too strong and something that definitely needs work on, but he is fairly accurate. He can get outmuscled from time to time so putting on muscle can solve both of those issues. The bigger problem though is that he only played 19 games in his draft year, and he wasn’t completely healthy either. Battling concussion and neck injuries throughout the year, his health is definitely a big concern and the obvious reason for his lowered draft stock. However, in the QMJHL pre-season this year, Lapierre has been absolutely dominant with fellow draft-eligible on his line, Dawson Mercer. He has 8 points in 4 games, and it could be enough to prove that he is good to go, and he could be drafted much earlier if so. If there’s still a concern though, Rangers are a team who can afford it, with an already deep roster, prospect pool, and of course getting gifted the 1st overall pick. With their need for a Top-6 C, Lapierre can be that guy by the time they’re contenders.
23Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-With the 23rd overall pick, the Philadelphia Flyers select Jacob Perreault. With their need for a goal scorer, grabbing right wing Perreault this late in the draft could look like a steal years away from now. Another one of my favourites, Perreault is a player that I’ve grown to love the more I watched, especially when compared to footage of him from the season prior to this one. He turned his biggest weakness of skating into a strength in one off-season was fascinating. An elite offensive weapon, Perreault absolutely kills it in the opponent’s zone. His bread and butter is his goal scoring, and his shot is phenomenal, potentially the best of the draft, including Holtz’s, it’s kind of comparable to Cole Caufield’s. He turns the jets on in transition and uses his elite vision to find teammates and set them up for beautiful goals. A very deceptive player, not just with his elite shooting ability, Perreault is very dangerous in one on one situations with his silky hands, making him a definite highlight reel player. His offensive IQ is undeniable, but if the rest of his game was on par, he’d be a consensus top 10 pick. The issues in his game are found defensively and in terms of overall consistency. He can look disengaged in his own zone quite often and doesn’t put in the effort a coach or fan would like to see. His inconsistencies are also a bit of a turn off as he can look like the best player in the OHL in one game to floating around in the next, but playing on one of the worst teams in the league could be to blame for that. He’s played down the middle for some stretches, but his style fits one of a winger much more, as good as he is in the faceoff circle. I’m a believer in his skill and expect to see progression in his flaws like he did with his skating. Ranking him 16th even felt too low considering what I’ve seen some nights. If all goes well, he can be a top line star. If not, I still think he has a good chance to make the NHL with his offensive skills, perhaps living on the PP and in a middle-6 position at 5v5 with defensively reliable teammates. His ceiling is among the highest in the draft, but his floor is uncertain. With a need for a sniper though, the successful Flyers should definitely take a flyer (; on Perreault.
24Logo of the Washington Capitals-With the 24th overall pick, the Washington Capitals select right-handed hulking Swedish offensive-defenseman, Helge Grans. Although Grans is my 3rd ranked defenseman, he’s still 24th on my list, it’s just not the best year for D, but he goes exactly where I have him slotted. Grans’ potential is huge though, but there is some risk. His combination of size, skating, offensive skills, and being a RHD is very intriguing to NHL teams. He’s a player who excels in the transition game and boasts great vision with a booming shot, he’ll definitely be a power play QB if he makes it. He had a point per game in the 27 games he played in the SuperElit. Playing 21 games in the SHL in his draft year was also very impressive as he held his own, but some of his flaws were exposed. Those being, his inconsistent defensive play and decision-making across the board. His defensive inconsistencies are mainly due to his decision-making, so perhaps more experience playing bigger minutes with Malmö can sort that out. He does make some head scratching decisions in the neutral zone too, but he is usually pretty good offensively. That being said, he did improve throughout the year, which is promising. He can stand to be more physical too, something that might cover up his deficiencies if he makes it, and I fully expect him to be once he fills up his massive frame. If his warts can be sorted out, it’s not crazy for him to slowly develop into a top pair D, but I’ll keep my projection more conservative as a 2nd pairing blue-liner who QBs a top PP unit. With their weakness on the right side of the blue-line behind Carlson, Grans is a good bet for the Caps to take, his potential is sky-high.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-The Colorado Avalanche snag Swedish winger Noel Gunler at 25th overall. One of the most polarizing players of the draft, to some this is a highway robbery, and to others it’s about where he belongs. I tend to lean more towards the former, having him 15th overall on my list. In terms of skill, I see more in him than fellow coveted countryman, Alexander Holtz. His concerns are similar to Jacob Perreault’s like I mentioned earlier, so I won’t go over that too much but add the thing that’s rumoured to be scaring teams from selecting him that isn’t defensive woes, his lack of effort, and inconsistencies, that concern would be his attitude. I’ll elaborate, as someone looking from the outside, I have no proof of said attitude issues besides from what I’ve heard. One event that comes to mind is Gunler shoving a linesman during a scrum, which got him a 5 game suspension. If that’s the only proof behind said issues, I’m not too concerned as all it shows is his feistiness, it’s not bad enough that it can’t be fixed with a little maturity, the experience probably served as a lesson too. Another thing that led to lots of speculation is his exclusion from the Swedish team at the U18s last year, but nothing about that shows to be attitude related, in fact, Gunler just used that as motivation to have a solid draft year. He played 45 games with the bug Lulea club in the SHL and got 13 points, pretty impressive for a draft-eligible. Now, a little report on his game. Gunler is pretty fast, but his skating is a little awkward, perhaps it could get better when he adds some lower body strength to his 6’2 frame, as he only weighs 175 pounds. Offensively, Gunler is a dual-threat who has a knack for putting the puck behind the net. He probably has the fastest release of the draft and his variety of shots are in the same class as Holtz’s and Perreault’s. He uses his powerful right handed shot and makes a home out of the left circle on the power play, just like the Great 8. He has very fast hands and holds the puck very well. He possesses elite vision and combined with his patience, Gunler is a top-tier playmaker as well. His offensive IQ is one of the best in the crop and if he can round out the rest of his game, add muscle, and control his temper, there is some real star potential in him. A few years from now, Holtz/Gunler can be compared to Laine/Aho. As one of the top teams in the NHL for years to come, the Avs welcome Gunler and all the risks associated with him, because if he pans out, he’ll be a huge add down the line. If a team ignores the noise, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes much higher, as he is a Top 10-15 talent, but I doubt that would be the case knowing NHL teams.
26Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues select Czech forward Jan Mysak at #26. Mysak spent half the year in his homeland and the other half with the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL, he put up great numbers in both leagues. Mysak’s game revolves around his mature two-way game, natural goal scoring ability, hockey smarts, and strong straight-line skating. He is an absolute puck hound in all three zones and his puck possession play is elite, very strong compete level out of this kid. He locks down players defensively and projects to be a top PKer in the league. His goal scoring is another trait of his that will surely translate, as his finishing is top-tier. He always finds open spots offensively to receive a pass and quickly release a blistering shot. Where he needs work on though, is better utilizing his teammates, as his playmaking isn’t his best trait, if he wants to stick to C, that’s what he needs to do, he’s shown flashes of it and has the hands to draw defenders, but if his development gets him to do it consistently, Mysak can become a real good top-6 forward with the versatility to play any position and show his efficacy in all situations. Even if he can’t, his shooting will make him a great option in the right circle on the PP, a strong and effective checking forward at 5v5, and an elite PKer. I’m a believer in his talent and see the former projection as my prediction.
27Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsThe second German off the board, the Anaheim Ducks select Lukas Reichel with their second first round pick at #27. Reichel’s game is very different to his fellow countryman’s Stützle, he plays a 200 foot game and is known for shooting pucks like his life depends on it and succeeding in it too as a very good goal-scorer. Reichel plays a very complete game and is extremely poised in all three zones. His anticipation is top-notch, as he’s always in the perfect position to either receive a pass or intercept one. He excels in high traffic and he cuts through opposing players like a knife going through butter. His transition game is among the best in the crop. He is also a very good puck distributor, like Amirov in a way, facilitating play for his linesmates. His skating has good power behind it and will only get better when he beefs up. Without a doubt though, his scoring is the best part of his game, with a lethal wrister that sneaks past goalies with power and laser accuracy, with his ability to tap pucks in from the crease, his nose for the net is on display every game. I’ve seen mixed reports on his play away from the puck, but in my viewings, he always seemed well engaged and positioned. He gets in dirty areas fighting for pucks well too. He’ll only get better with added muscle. Another player who looks like a lock to make the NHL, with a good ceiling and high floor. His game should complement the Ducks’ young centermen and he’s not too far from making an impact.
28Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersWith their third 1st round pick, the Sens select RW/C Tyson Foerster out of the Barrie Colts. Like Quinn and Jarvis, Foerster is a player who showed huge progression from his D-1 year. He went from putting up 23 points in 64 games to 80 points in 2 less games, good enough to have him at 5th in first year draft-eligible OHLers. Foerster was the clear MVP in driving offense on a mediocre Barrie team, putting up 33 more points than their second leading scorer. His goal-scoring abilities are the strongest part of his game and it’s a massive weapon. He probably has the best one-timer of the draft, he can absolutely rip it as he always separates himself and finds himself in soft open areas in the offensive zone. Foerster plays a no-nonsense game and keeps it relatively simple, he plays to his strengths which is nice to see. He has good passing ability and spots his average teammates and sets them up quite well. He has a good hockey IQ and does the right, non-flashy, but effective moves that help his team win. He’s very solid defensively as well by always sticking in the right position and using an active stick along with his smarts to pressure attackers. His skating is probably the least attractive part of his game, it’s average at best, but gets the job done. He can also seem to lack pace at times. With his goal scoring ability, Foerster is better suited for the wing, and with the Sens looking to ameliorate their right side up front, Foerster can be that guy. He plays a pretty mature game already, so one more year in the OHL and he could be ready to step in. He’d have to work on his pace though. It’s hard to pinpoint his upside, but with his strong two-way play and lethal scoring, I see at least a top-9 forward who can become a top-6 if his weaknesses get fixed, and regardless, would be a PP weapon.
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-With the 29th overall pick, the Vegas Golden Knights select Finnish right-handed defenseman, Topi Niemelä. With no Top-4 RHD on their team or in their pipeline, Korczak is debatable, this pick is a no-brainer. If Barron’s health had no question marks around it, he’s the superior option, but with all the uncertainty around him, unless teams know it’s nothing major, I don’t think we’ll hear his name called on day one. So the next top RHD available, Niemelä, is a reliable non-flashy, but effective two-way defenseman who played 43 games with Kärpät in the men’s league and didn’t look out of place, getting 7 points in that many games. The 5’11 blue-liner is a great and extremely smooth skater that helps him big time in his transition play, which is a big strength of his. Offensively, Topi lacks the creativity to wow you, but is very effective in moving the puck, he can skate end to end to find a forward, and he has good enough vision to make safe passes that facilitate play. He has an accurate shot, but it lacks power, something that should get better when he gets stronger. Defensively, Niemelä’s skating helps him add pressure and move around quickly to retrieve the puck. His gap control isn’t always the best, but he has a good thought process and should get better at it. His hockey IQ seems average. What I like is that he isn’t afraid to get physical, that aspect should also continue to improve with more growth. Overall, Niemelä is a safe bet to make the NHL, but I’m not so sure he has Top-4 upside. It definitely is possible though, and that’s what the hope would be out of him with a first round selection. With a season playing against men in the bag, that holds value on draft day.
30Logo of the Dallas Stars-The Dallas Stars select centerman Brendan Brisson from the Chicago Steel with the 30th overall pick. Brisson’s draft position is probably the hardest to predict of the entire crop, I’m very interested to see where he lands, but in my mock, Dallas makes tons of sense with the middle ice being a position of weakness for the future after Tyler Seguin. Committed to the University of Michigan next season, Pat Brisson’s son was a star for the Steel in the USHL, finishing second in points in the entire league as a draft eligible. His game is highlighted by his strong playmaking, elite hands, and deception. A good skater too, Brisson has good top speed and an extra gear to go with it, along with decent technicalities. His playmaking might be the best part of his game, but his goal-scoring needs to be respected, he’s a beast in the right circle on the powerplay with an accurate and deadly shot. Defensively, Brisson gives it his all and uses his smarts to be a solid presence in his own end. The 5’11 pivot played on an incredible team with mostly offensive starts, so it’s hard to imagine if he would do as good elsewhere, his common linemates are also great talents for this year's draft. I see his game translating well at middle ice, but I’m not as sold on his upside as others and believe this is a good range for him to go. He has all the makings of becoming a good Top-9 C, with potential to become a 2nd liner maybe. The NCAA route will be beneficial to him since he’ll be able to beef up with the shorter schedule. The Stars’ hope is for him to battle out the 2C spot down the line with Dellandrea. If Barron’s health had no concerns, he’d also be a great option too here as Dallas’ RHD depth isn’t too strong either.
31Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningTo close out day one of the 2020 NHL draft, with the Stanley Cup champs’, Tampa’s, first round pick, the San Jose Sharks select left-handed defenseman Ryan O’Rourke from the Greyhounds of the OHL. Captaining a weaker Sault Ste. Marie team in his draft year, O’Rourke was an absolute menace to play against, good enough to have him as my 4th ranked defenseman. In my opinion, he is the best defensive player of the draft and has good offensive punch to his game too. O’Rourke’s game can best be described as mature, he’s one of the most poised defensive players of the entire draft and will probably look like a veteran the moment he hits NHL ice. He’s a big defenseman, coming in at 6’2, and still has lots of room to grow only weighing in at 180 pounds. He is a powerful skater and possesses good mechanics, his backwards skating is among the top, being a great contributor to his defensive play. Offensively, Ryan also uses his strong skating in good transitional play and keeps the puck in movement. He doesn’t flash with high skill but is super effective. His weapon offensively is his shot though, especially his slap shot that has a lot of power behind it and can be a future power play threat, Shea Weber style. He is extremely smart in all three zones and rarely makes mistakes up front too. His stickhandling can be improved though, but it won’t hold him back with his play style. Defensively, O’Rourke absolutely shuts down opposing players with his strong skating, stick, positioning, gap control, physicality, you name it! A complete player who should only get better with muscular growth, O’Rourke is a safe bet to become a solidifying piece for an ageing D corps, similar to what Vlasic provided in his prime. I predict he can become a solid complimentary top pair player with one of Karlsson or Burns and be a solid overall Top-4 defenseman who plays big minutes and can be relied on at all times. A 5v5 and PK beast, a 2nd wave PP triggerman. O’Rourke is the real deal who will make the team who drafted him very happy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll